You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
gopher31

Yoshino torps

17 comments in this topic

[SHAD]
Players
938 posts

Does anyone get much use of these? If so, How?

I fling some down the flanks at the start  of a battle IF the destroyer abandons the flank AND I’ve been able to get in front of any cruiser on my flank.

In the middle of the battles opportunities are few and far between as there it’s all to easy to hit teammates.

At the end I might get the opportunity to throw some more out once teams have thinned out.

If I choose to use the 12km torps and try to push in a little closer I get overmatched, penned and citadelled by any battleship that looks my way!

I still enjoy the accurate guns and great HE but I’d happily swap those torps for another turret or a slight reload increase.

Perhaps Asashio deep, DEEP water torpedoes would provide more opportunities for use.

Players
787 posts
14,860 battles
4 minutes ago, gopher31 said:

Does anyone get much use of these? If so, How?

Yes. Mostly as "defensive" area denial tool. Usually when I'm on a flank that collapsed and need to kite away, 20km torps are great when enemy is pushing into you. You will either score an odd hit, do dmg and force dmg con or you will make them turn to evade torps consequently showing broadside. Either way you are slowing their push.

Players
714 posts
9,070 battles

Well i equip the 20km but still preferably use them at sub-4km range. 
I do use them when leaving a flank, just throw them at island passages and such. 

But theyre best for superclose BB or cruiser engagements, due to good torping angles & great armour scheme on the yoshino

Players
1,519 posts
10,288 battles

You know I never knew they were 20km... that would explain something from Last night.... I had chased two BB's from a cap in my Yugumo (TRB Equipped) and a salvo of torpedoes appeared from nowhere ... I avoided them but at that point could not identify the source.

• Cool 2

[CAIN]
Players
3,398 posts
12,632 battles

Well, i've seen quite a number of FF incidents, with such LR torps. 

I want them on the Yahagi tho… :Smile_hiding:

• Funny 3

[BOA2Y]
Beta Tester
4,730 posts
20,994 battles

Yoshino is not Zao... Zao can use the 12 km torps easier. 

On Yoshino (I don t have it because I believe it is worse than Zao) I think that you should equip the 12 km torps and use them to blindly shoot the DDs in the caps or in the endgame to rush a BB. 

Players
835 posts
15,726 battles

I only use them when a flank is either abandoned or when I am using them as area denial with absolutely no friendly DDs around. I certainly don't consider her torps to be her main weapon but if I can send them out and hope an enemy stumbles into them I will. You can get some lucky hits and honestly that's all you can hope for. 

The frustrating problem with her is the high risk of being team killed by Yoshino players who feel they have to launch torps all the time, I have been killed a few times by Yoshino players doing that, but hey thats nothing new in this game you still see Hindenburg players team killing BBs because of their lack of torp discipline. 

Players
2,187 posts
13,282 battles

20 km are great for those lemming games where you farm the pushing enemy team from close to max range.

I get a surprising number of hits with those, especially when players try to pass and ignore my Yoshino.

• Cool 1

Players
2,423 posts
12,197 battles

They should never have given it torps. I see Yoshinos torp friendlies more than enemies.

Players
1,519 posts
10,288 battles
5 hours ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

20 km are great for those lemming games where you farm the pushing enemy team from close to max range.

I get a surprising number of hits with those, especially when players try to pass and ignore my Yoshino.

Can you answer a question for me?

As I haven't got her myself... is she equipped with TRB?

Players
2,187 posts
13,282 battles
15 minutes ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

Can you answer a question for me?

As I haven't got her myself... is she equipped with TRB?

No. And while you have a lot (2x4 each side) they have a 167s long cooldown.

[SPUDS]
Beta Tester
4,566 posts
15,989 battles

20km torps are funny, you can launch them at max range and enemy BB campers will still manage to run into them

• Cool 1

[POI--]
Players
6,080 posts
7,325 battles

20 km is sadly the better option and frankly the best use is to just consider them an interesting auxiliary armament, but not a major source of damage, unless you get to rush enemy ships and use the torps close up. They do get surprising kills though, even on the enemy team. And even if only 1-2 hit, these torps hurt. Best use is on ships that move very predictably, so campers or choke points, where enemies cannot just dodge.

• Cool 2

[JRM]
Players
3,354 posts
18,792 battles
5 minutes ago, Cagliostro_chan said:

20 km is sadly the better option and frankly the best use is to just consider them an interesting auxiliary armament, but not a major source of damage, unless you get to rush enemy ships and use the torps close up. They do get surprising kills though, even on the enemy team. And even if only 1-2 hit, these torps hurt. Best use is on ships that move very predictably, so campers or choke points, where enemies cannot just dodge.

i tend to drop them down the choke points while turning for the kite, usually someone catches at least one of them...

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
3,567 posts
9,207 battles

Thanks everyone for the information from me as well - I reflexively loaded the 12 km torps on mine (as with Shima, everyone knows that the 20 km ones smell and their mother dresses them funny); it appears that the consensus is that the longer range ones are more suitable for Yoshino.

That does make sense though, as you usually get rather closer with DDs than with hulking great super-cruisers...

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
2,930 posts
3,640 battles

Someone, I forgot who, had the "wonderfull" idea of bringing a one to KoTS last weekend.

TLDR version: it didn't work, at all.