Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Wolly9102

how is this possible?

12 comments in this topic

[DEGC]
Players
18 posts
6,373 battles

A kremlin decided to rush me while I was in my DM. But at point blank range I was able to citadel the kremlin for 30k. That player called me the luckiest .......:Smile_teethhappy:  How is this even possible? I tried it in a training room and when I managed to score citadels I was able to deal 20/30K per volley. I understand that kremlin has an big citadel but how is this even possible? Note that I shot the same spot on the belt in the training room.

Thanks,

[NWP]
Players
6,857 posts
7,643 battles

Why not? DM can also Citadel Yamato, and Yamato/Kremlin have similar armor thickness.

Some Cruisers can citadel some BBs - just need enough penetration. But often you need flat broadside to punch through, otherwise the armor might be too thick.

[DEGC]
Players
18 posts
6,373 battles
Just now, DFens_666 said:

Why not? DM can also Citadel Yamato, and Yamato/Kremlin have similiar armor thickness.

Some Cruisers can citadel some BBs - just need enough penetration. But often you need flat broadside to punch through, otherwise the armor might be too thick.

That's why I tried it the training room. I was only able to under 1 km and not every shot penetrated the citadel while I shot the same place. :fish_book:

[NWP]
Players
6,857 posts
7,643 battles
Just now, Wolly9102 said:

That's why I tried it the training room. I was only able to under 1 km and not every shot penetrated the citadel while I shot the same place. :fish_book:

I think you wrote it wrong in your first post then, as i understand, you citadelled the Kremlin both in a random battle and in the training room?

Can you explain again maybe?

- Did you citadel the kremlin in battle? How far were you away

- Did you citadel the Kremlin in a training room from the same distance and most important at the same angle?

[DEGC]
Players
18 posts
6,373 battles
2 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

I think you wrote it wrong in your first post then, as i understand, you citadelled the Kremlin both in a random battle and in the training room?

Can you explain again maybe?

- Did you citadel the kremlin in battle? How far were you away

- Did you citadel the Kremlin in a training room from the same distance and most important at the same angle?

I citadeld the kremlin in battle. I don't know how far away, I need to watch the replay for that. It was point blank though. 

And yes I was stationary in the training room.

Beta Tester
1,136 posts
5,264 battles

In port you can look up the armour thickness of the part you want to penetrate. Now go to wowsft.com, select the Des Moines and it will show you a penetration-distance chart. This will give you an idea. Keep in might that angle of impact increases armour thickness.

There is also another website, something like mustang github, but I forgot the exact link. According some this one is better.

Please note that by knowing what you can and can’t penetrate increase your damage. DDs often can do some solid damage on a unsaturated bow or stern with AP, or just above the torpedo belt.

[CATS]
Players
20,526 posts
12,586 battles

DM has very high penetration, enough for many BB at close range. This is known for years.

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
11,963 posts
17,037 battles

Kremlins upper citadel belt armor is 410 to 430mm thick. A DM is capable of penetrating that at roughly 2km and below.

Kremlins lower armor belt is 410 to 430mm along with 70mm citadel armor, resulting in a total of 480 to 500mm citadel protection scheme. DM is capable of penetrating the former at about 500 meters while being completely unable to penetrate the latter even at point blank range. The spaced armor may also cause your shells to detonate prematurely before reaching the citadel.

Welcome to the bias weirdness that is Kremlin's armor protection scheme.

[AAO]
Players
1,184 posts
18,731 battles
37 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Welcome to the bias weirdness that is Kremlin's armor protection scheme. 

Pretty sure you mean balans ?

That aside most CA can pen most BB-citadels at sufficiently close range. Just how close tends to vary a lot tho.

Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles

another factor to consider is - in a traning room, your target sits completely still, while in battle it's (hopefully...^^) moving. That will cause it to roll, significantly so in a hard turn (which seems likely in a brawl) - radically changing which armour plates you'll hit and at what angle. Particularly noticable on german BBs that tend to negate their turtleback by showing that juicy weak red underside.

Players
250 posts
3,528 battles

This is the weakness of big BBs and supercruisers. They can be citadelled from the side. They seem invicible bow on, and if you don't have one, then you might not be aware of this weakness.

Sign in to follow this