You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
MadBadDave

HE SPAMMING

22 comments in this topic

[S-O-M]
Players
336 posts
5,499 battles

Last 2 games saw more of what WG actively encourages by giving us the underpowered Smolensk; HE SPAMMING.

North Carolina throwing HE at target 10km away, and Graf Spee doing the same at a target 8km away.

Hand up who's enjoying this shite (not open to Smolensk drivers ;-).    Question to WG and it's development team, whats the friggin point of AP.

They've got so messed up themselves they've introduced a 3rd ammo type, whats next grape shot ?.

Some Jean Bart drivers (the bmw drivers of wows), make me laugh regardless of Tier; fire He, as soon as a BB throws it back they run and switch to AP.

And I beg to differ, both my Yorck and Hipper do far more damage consistently with he than AP and that isn’t right.

I can cause more damage firing he than a Brit cruiser or normal bb ap round. And then there’s the fire afterwards.  How many more ships are like that, has WG got tired of AP ?.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 5

Players
2,072 posts
10,962 battles

Why not. Its always hilarious when i see a tier 10 BB that is not a Conq or Thunderer for that matter shoot HE at my BB.  I flaunt my fat BB broadside and they still shoot HE at me. Meanwhile i AP them to death. 

• Cool 1

[NIKE]
Beta Tester
3,233 posts
6,552 battles

Anyone sensible makes use of both types depending on the situation. E.g with a BB: Broadside? Ap is better for citadel chances. Angled or nose in? HE, unless you can overmatch their bow armour. Very long range when you have terrible dispersion? Depends how lucky you feel. HE can be useful for making them burn a DC before the "real" contact is made.

• Cool 2

[N_S_F]
Players
1,042 posts
23 minutes ago, MadBadDave said:

underpowered Smolensk;

Hand up who's enjoying this shite (not open to Smolensk drivers ;-).  

Related image

Image result for laughing joker gif

• Funny 7

[DAVY]
Players
2,645 posts
29 minutes ago, MadBadDave said:

Last 2 games saw more of what WG actively encourages by giving us the underpowered Smolensk; HE SPAMMING.

North Carolina throwing HE at target 10km away, and Graf Spee doing the same at a target 8km away.

Hand up who's enjoying this shite (not open to Smolensk drivers ;-).    Question to WG and it's development team, whats the friggin point of AP.

They've got so messed up themselves they've introduced a 3rd ammo type, whats next grape shot ?.

Some Jean Bart drivers (the bmw drivers of wows), make me laugh regardless of Tier; fire He, as soon as a BB throws it back they run and switch to AP.

And I beg to differ, both my Yorck and Hipper do far more damage consistently with he than AP and that isn’t right.

I can cause more damage firing he than a Brit cruiser or normal bb ap round. And then there’s the fire afterwards.  How many more ships are like that, has WG got tired of AP ?.

Here we go again, Mr Negative  and yet another moan.  Why do you even bother playing this game......repeat, game. :Smile_facepalm:

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[HOO]
Players
2,190 posts
51 minutes ago, MadBadDave said:

There's a reason that cruisers and DD's fire predominantly HE at targets, especially the 5 BB's on each team, it's quite simple, unless shown a fairly flat broadside at quite close range their AP tends to shatter and they do no damage, especially when the superstructure is saturated.

The BB's shooting nothing but HE has been a feature of a particularly special type of player who is unwilling to aim and feels they get flashier numbers by firing HE. Semi understandable in the RN BB's, but as you've pointed out some of the morons do the same in other nations ships and it's rather sad.

The only way HE spamming is ever going away is for smaller calibre AP to have vastly better performance so that it doesn't bounce and shatter, no doubt that would result in yet more screams from the BB master race and it won't ever happen.

• Cool 2

[S-O-M]
Players
336 posts
5,499 battles
50 minutes ago, bushwacker001 said:

Here we go again, Mr Negative  and yet another moan.  Why do you even bother playing this game......repeat, game. :Smile_facepalm:

Isn’t a game supposed to be fun and enjoyable, are you a HE spammer yourself?, it’s a free country and I’ve put in the time and the money which entitles me to moan and [edited], maybe just maybe one day WG will actually listen to us and do something about the game, a game we all like to play (me for the historical element), which is why I don’t go beyond T8. As with cvs, DD, spuds, MM, OP, stat driven game/ abuse, paper premiums etc, etc there is a lot wrong with the game and I bet there’s at least one thing that ticks you off about it, so like the tree huggers not only adding to the environmental destruction and ruining other people’s lives and the yes we lost the vote on the EU but we refuse to accept the result brigade I’ll have my say ✌.

[HOO]
Players
2,190 posts
3 minutes ago, MadBadDave said:

Isn’t a game supposed to be fun and enjoyable, are you a HE spammer yourself?, it’s a free country and I’ve put in the time and the money which entitles me to moan and [edited], maybe just maybe one day WG will actually listen to us and do something about the game, a game we all like to play (me for the historical element), which is why I don’t go beyond T8. As with cvs, DD, spuds, MM, OP, stat driven game/ abuse, paper premiums etc, etc there is a lot wrong with the game and I bet there’s at least one thing that ticks you off about it, so like the tree huggers not only adding to the environmental destruction and ruining other people’s lives and the yes we lost the vote on the EU but we refuse to accept the result brigade I’ll have my say ✌.

Well if you want to play the historical card Armour Piercing shells had a bursting charge that tended to set flammable bits of ships on fire. Of course historically you'd be allowed to take a BB out maybe once every year or so any damage would need a 6 month refit and you would land maybe 1 shell in every 50 fired. Oh and Aircraft carriers would make all surface ships redundant except as AA defences for their carriers from tier 5/6 upwards. Historical accuracy is meaningless in this game.

• Cool 1

[-AP-]
Players
1,928 posts
4,801 battles
17 minutes ago, MadBadDave said:

Have you tried to simply not suck?

ap and he both have their uses, an intelligent captain uses both, depending on the situation. I fire about 90% ap in my battleships.

• Funny 1

[DAVY]
Players
2,645 posts
22 minutes ago, MadBadDave said:

But it's always negative.......as for me, a BB main mostly and you will find it hard if not impossible to find a moan thread, probably because I don't often get caught in a position to get burnt to death and if I do I realise it was most probably my fault for not scanning the team list thoroughly and also making a note of where the HE ships are spotted. As for historical accuracy....couldn't give a fig if the ship existed or not...it's a game but that's just me I suppose.

[TSSU]
Players
149 posts
2 hours ago, MadBadDave said:

Erm, swings and roundabouts - as this series should show. 1 is firing AP the rest are firing HE. Which is which and would i have survived the first volley, let alone 4th if it were the enemy doing the AP :) Once he had done it twice i was confident enough to show full broadside (was pretty much broadside at surprise appearance of Mushashi at start!) to one shot the cruiser that could torp me!

HE firing BBs.jpg

Glad that some players seem to fire HE all the time - it helps paper over the cracks when you mess up :) Of course, if it's a cruiser lodged behind an island that sets you on fire repeatedly non stop, then can be frustrating, but if they're hiding they don't tend to give chase - so just sail away... (or if possible, go undetected by not firing)

[UNICS]
Players
3,727 posts
14,600 battles

Not to derail the thread by trying something constructive, but there's a point in the argument that HE is becoming a more and more valid choice compared to AP.

Yes, AP does more damage on broadside ships. ..unless they're showing too much broadside and you're treated with overpens, the ship has an underwater citadel, or the armour is to thick, or if dispersion is so bad you're unlikely to hit the citadel. That's on broadside ships. On all other scenarios you need to know a lot more about the angles, the pens, the armour to get reliable AP damage.

2015 there were 2 lines to know the armour, calibres and possible pen angles. Today there's 300(?) ships to keep track of and given that >90% of the players likely have no clue about most of these things, I'd say HE is a solid choice for most to get damage done.

I know good players use AP to great effect. For me, I'm starting feel an inclination toward HE, unless I'm in a good spot to do good AP damage, but these occurrences feel less frequent than before. Then again, I've never learnt the calibre or armour of more than a couple of ships.

I'd love to see some individual stats for AP vs HE usage...

• Cool 2

Players
4,534 posts
245 battles

Meanwhile in world of danks, HE is now useless in the test server. Lol.

This makes me think thats probably the idea they had in mind for IFHE in a somewhat similar way. (maybe).

but yeah i guess HE spamming is annoying but i've learnt to deal with it mainly due to me playing more mobile BB's than tanky BB's.

[TSSU]
Players
149 posts

For BB's you can heal the fire dmg very efficiently - so you may get "reliable" damage, but if the target heals it highly effectively, then it may not be the best target to shoot at - alternative targets may be a better choice.

Personally, I switch target before I switch shell type. I do use HE when I think it's appropriate, but it's only when there's no suitable alternative target.

Of course, I tend to play BB a lot so I have the range to be able to do that (meaning in a cruiser maybe I'd be firing HE mainly unless everything is broadside at decent ranges).

I'm sure the inefficient use of heal ensures some get large damage with HE spam, hence why it's used by battleships. Repair single fire, they set 2 more, they get decent dmg. They carry that into next game and fire HE...

• Cool 1

[S-O-M]
Players
336 posts
5,499 battles

My point is whilst using all different types of ammo is essential WG seems to have pushed us towards HE, Powercreep, op ships,and dakka cruisers are now the norm, we all continue to moan and [edited] about cvs, and rightly but why is it BB’s these days hang back, say your in an fdg and you know a Smolensk is behind an island do you push or go another route.  Yes An fdg can crush the Smolensk but what about the other red ships, also spamming HE, because it is annoying to the victim, does cause reliable and consistent damage.   How many reading this would honestly say HE spamming hasn’t changed the game, or is there another reason why BB’s like sightseeing ?.

[-GNG-]
Players
57 posts
7,083 battles

My opinion,

Because of the game's mechanics and the almighty (bless me please) RNGesus, BB gameplay must me adapted, and I did. Using HE from long distance to hope for a module incapitation or fire is a big bonus against AP where we risk with bounces or overpens that makes you smash the keyboard.

Since the game is "written" this way after frustration (and a few smashed keyboards [joking]) I adapted my gameplay on BB's and HE on long distances and AP when permitted.

Since the game is written this way me must/should adapt and enjoy sinking each other, HAVE FUN!!! 

[_ZEZ_]
Players
8 posts
3,939 battles

Something to add HE spaming

my last game today in Ibuki shoting only HE  203 mm on superstructure on Vladivostok, Iowa  and Alaska

152 hits

69 pens

89 nonpens

2 torpedo prot. hits

damage 109105

Vladivostok 

91 hits - 31811 dmg

7 fires - 26244 dmg

Iowa

46 hits - 18711 dmg

2 fires - 11647 dmg

Alaska

8hits - 5990 dmg

1fire - 9302 dmg

That is how it looks now in 0.8.9  from the perspective of old HE spamming criuser. I guess I should now spam AP rounds on BBs, maybe I get lucky. 

One more buff on BBs and I can put Ibuki you can guess where.

[MON]
Players
6 posts
10,089 battles

Answer is very simple HE spam are alfa and omega of a game. There are tons daka daka HE spammers. And in most situations HE spamming has much more consistent damage dealing than AP. Of course you can IK a ship with AP but now most of the hits you do almost no damage. Especialy against CLs when most of the hits are OP if you hit at all. AP shells have too much downsides and 2 citadels do much less damage than 2-4 fires. And believe me when you have 6 457 guns on Georgia and you hit a target 4 times and 3 hits are OP and one ricochet  its much more better to have 4 HE hits and 1 fire. And when you compare this to ships like worchester that have like 6 salvoes at a same time you fire one its even worse when you do pretty much nothing to him with AP shells. 

• Bad 1

Players
2,411 posts
12,197 battles
33 minutes ago, loki51 said:

Answer is very simple HE spam are alfa and omega of a game. There are tons daka daka HE spammers. And in most situations HE spamming has much more consistent damage dealing than AP. Of course you can IK a ship with AP but now most of the hits you do almost no damage. Especialy against CLs when most of the hits are OP if you hit at all. AP shells have too much downsides and 2 citadels do much less damage than 2-4 fires. And believe me when you have 6 457 guns on Georgia and you hit a target 4 times and 3 hits are OP and one ricochet  its much more better to have 4 HE hits and 1 fire. And when you compare this to ships like worchester that have like 6 salvoes at a same time you fire one its even worse when you do pretty much nothing to him with AP shells. 

And most of what you typed is wrong. GJ!

• Bad 1