You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Winged_Cat_Dormant

Manners in battle. Co-op

33 comments in this topic

[TAYTO]
Players
670 posts
7,814 battles

Two episodes from my Sunday cavalcade of co-op games:

1) I needed 4K more damage to reach my 40K goal for the Naval Battles. I wasn't far from the last red bot so I asked in chat please to let me do the damage, not to kill it.

Someone on a BB started shooting and I ended up 2K short of my target....

Alright, maybe that particular guy doesn't speak English. 

2) I got a Yamato down with torps and two (out of 3 div. players) on BBs started shooting at me. I asked why and they said they wanted to kill the last BB to reach their Naval Battle goal. I told them to stop shooting, that I would let them get the damage, and I did. They farmed the last bot and they gave me some good karma points.

I told them to ask next time, no need to go pink and almost sink me.

Guys, players, fellow humans, please talk, please ask, please show some manners while in game.

I

• Cool 12
  • Funny 1

[THESO]
Players
2,638 posts
8,851 battles

Just play randoms. 

• Funny 7

Players
1,065 posts
16,570 battles

A lot of people use co-ops to grind out specific missions myself included, I tend to alert my team if I'm doing something specific such as secondary gun hits etc. 

But your right its it's amazing how many people don't bother to communicate before hand but rather fly off the handle after the event. 

A little common sense and manners goes a long way.

• Cool 3

[TAYTO]
Players
670 posts
7,814 battles
43 minutes ago, GarrusBrutus said:

Online gaming <-> manners 

*laughing out loud*

I know, but one can only hope more people will start using the gifts of language and empathy.

• Cool 3

[TAYTO]
Players
670 posts
7,814 battles
2 hours ago, Nibloke said:

All I can say I shut off my messages ingame.  No begging  or aking for me.:cap_win:

Well, I can't blame the blind for not seeing.

[BOBS3]
Players
794 posts
14,447 battles
2 hours ago, Nibloke said:

All I can say I shut off my messages ingame.  No begging  or aking for me.:cap_win:

Great attitude for a team game.

Oh sorry I forgot that we are talking about World of Warships

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

Players
5,311 posts
10,284 battles
3 hours ago, Winged_Cat_Dormant said:

Two episodes from my Sunday cavalcade of co-op games:

1) I needed 4K more damage to reach my 40K goal for the Naval Battles. I wasn't far from the last red bot so I asked in chat please to let me do the damage, not to kill it.

Someone on a BB started shooting and I ended up 2K short of my target....

Alright, maybe that particular guy doesn't speak English. 

2) I got a Yamato down with torps and two (out of 3 div. players) on BBs started shooting at me. I asked why and they said they wanted to kill the last BB to reach their Naval Battle goal. I told them to stop shooting, that I would let them get the damage, and I did. They farmed the last bot and they gave me some good karma points.

I told them to ask next time, no need to go pink and almost sink me.

Guys, players, fellow humans, please talk, please ask, please show some manners while in game.

I

I was playing my first (coop) battle with Zao and I was about to torp the last enemy, only for a green (human) Repu to delete me so he could farm secondary hits.

He was been polite at the start of the battle in answering some question I had, but him suddenly deleting me, it came as a surprise for me.

Strangely I was unable to send in a ticket to WG. Him being pink for a couple battles was surely not enough to discourage this kind of behavior.

Btw, asking teammates to let you farm damage is fine. But they are in no way obliged to accept your request.

If you want better results for coop, you can play late at night or early in the morning when most of your teammates will probably also be bots.

Them not changing anything and just play like normally is not something worng on their behalf, it sounds a bit like complaining about you having asked someone to give you free money, them ignoring you and your request and you getting pissed about how awful they are. They did nothing wrong there.

And yes, perhaps they didn't speak any english or perhaps they had chat disabled or perhaps they didn't notice it for whatever reason.

• Cool 2
  • Angry 1

Players
460 posts
2,228 battles
9 minutes ago, Winged_Cat_Dormant said:

Well, I can't blame the blind for not seeing.

6 minutes ago, Cambera_1 said:

Great attitude for a team game.

Oh sorry I forgot that we are talking about World of Warships

I would say "send me a message in game about your complaint...":cap_haloween:

All I can say it improved my gaming experience in WOWs...I only can recommend it.

• Cool 1

Players
1,713 posts
6,478 battles

Alternatively, it'd be great if WG hadn't made the Directives & Missions so silly that PvP players felt forced to use a game-mode they didn't like just to get the rewards and instead were able to stay in PvP to complete them.

• Cool 2

[N0RSE]
[N0RSE]
Players
131 posts
12,547 battles

Play random and do over 40k dmg in a battleship, more fun and not that hard to achieve. 

[CAIN]
Players
3,677 posts
14,471 battles

Manners are very important, in my humble opinion.

People shouldn't type in chat whatever pops in their mind and Insult others, that's rude, impolite and unnecessary. 

Instead of writing things like: '...push you spineless coward...', '...stop camping and tank some Damage you d***less i***t...', and '...must have been a giant bird which crapped on your brainless head...', people could do it in a much more polite way. 

'...my good sir, please push, you might find the spine you lost...' and '...dear sir, please stop camping and tank some Damage, i'll help finding your marbles after this very game...'.

'...my good sir, i applaud your ability to survive getting defecated on your head by a giant bird! Lucky for you, you're brain is absent and on vacation until your next re-incarnation...'.

See how a little kindness and politeness changes everything? 

#MannersMatter

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

Beta Tester
2,773 posts
3,076 battles

People actually starting to shoot at team mates in order to get a kill for themselves - what is this, World of Tanks...?! You have a saint's forbearance, @Winged_Cat_Dormant. I like to think that I'm generally as nice and tolerant as the next guy, but I would most likely have flipped a switch at that. Karma points well merited, Captain!

• Cool 3

[TAYTO]
Players
670 posts
7,814 battles
1 hour ago, NothingButTheRain said:

I was playing my first (coop) battle with Zao and I was about to torp the last enemy, only for a green (human) Repu to delete me so he could farm secondary hits.

He was been polite at the start of the battle in answering some question I had, but him suddenly deleting me, it came as a surprise for me.

Strangely I was unable to send in a ticket to WG. Him being pink for a couple battles was surely not enough to discourage this kind of behavior.

Btw, asking teammates to let you farm damage is fine. But they are in no way obliged to accept your request.

If you want better results for coop, you can play late at night or early in the morning when most of your teammates will probably also be bots.

Them not changing anything and just play like normally is not something worng on their behalf, it sounds a bit like complaining about you having asked someone to give you free money, them ignoring you and your request and you getting pissed about how awful they are. They did nothing wrong there.

And yes, perhaps they didn't speak any english or perhaps they had chat disabled or perhaps they didn't notice it for whatever reason.

Is not the same as asking for free money!

When I am asked I concede.

I can understand if they are rude beyond recovery, brutes, idiots or they do not speak English, as that is a communication barrier, not a condition :)

[TAYTO]
Players
670 posts
7,814 battles
19 minutes ago, Jethro_Grey said:

Manners are very important, in my humble opinion.

People shouldn't type in chat whatever pops in their mind and Insult others, that's rude, impolite and unnecessary. 

Instead of writing things like: '...push you spineless coward...', '...stop camping and tank some Damage you d***less i***t...', and '...must have been a giant bird which crapped on your brainless head...', people could do it in a much more polite way. 

'...my good sir, please push, you might find the spine you lost...' and '...dear sir, please stop camping and tank some Damage, i'll help finding your marbles after this very game...'.

'...my good sir, i applaud your ability to survive getting defecated on your head by a giant bird! Lucky for you, you're brain is absent and on vacation until your next re-incarnation...'.

#MannersMatter

You know, I decided to change the way I communicate my impressions to other players. Is better for my stress levels.

The other day I just invited a CV driver to reconsider his play style as it was conditioning his damage count and limiting the overall team success rate.

I feel better and perhaps the other may get it. I hope.

[CAIN]
Players
3,677 posts
14,471 battles
Just now, Winged_Cat_Dormant said:

You know, I decided to change the way I communicate my impressions to other players. Is better for my stress levels.

The other day I just invited a CV driver to reconsider his play style as it was conditioning his damage count and limiting the overall team success rate.

I feel better and perhaps the other may get it. I hope.

Since i started streaming, i try to keep my hands of chat and also try to not speak out loud what i'm currently thinking. 

With mixed results, but it seems i'm making progress, considering the last chat ban i received was almost two weeks ago. 

• Funny 1

Beta Tester
2,773 posts
3,076 battles
40 minutes ago, Jethro_Grey said:

#MannersMatter

How right you are!

My own favourite Missing Manners-quote, from World of Tanks battle chat, written by someone in a heavy tank to a team member in an E-25. It is commendably brief: "idiot scout plz?"

Take your time to think about this message. It contains so many wonderful variables, and it offers some tantalizing hints about the strange and convoluted brain that spawned it.

- Heavy Tank wants E-25 to scout for him. This prompts Heavy Tank to adress E-25 with a personal proposition to said effect. (This is a good start, much better than the vast majority of the WoT playerbase will ever manage. However...)

- Heavy Tank starts off with a personal insult. (To get the tone just right? To establish hierarchy? To follow some misaligned sense of forum decorum? We will never know.)

- Heavy Tank rounds off with an impeccable 'please', properly abbreviated according to standard chat formula. (There is obviously some level of basic understanding, however patchy, of the principles of polite society.)

To no one’s very great surprise, E-25 fails to immediately comply with Heavy Tank’s suggestion. This prompts Heavy Tank, also to no one's very great surprise, to teamkill E-25 with a 12,8 cm headshot.

I’ve been trying to figure out the thinking behind how Heavy Tank chose to word his first message to E-25, but so far, I’ve got nothing. I should probably just accept that it’s a weird and wonderful world out there, with so many weird and wonderful people living in it.

[CAIN]
Players
3,677 posts
14,471 battles
8 minutes ago, Procrastes said:

How right you are!

My own favourite Missing Manners-quote, from World of Tanks, written by someone in a heavy tank to a team member in an E-25. It is commendably brief: "idiot scout plz?"

Take your time to think about this statement. It contains so many wonderful variables, and it offers some tantalizing hints about the strange and convoluted brain that spawned it.

- Heavy Tank wants E-25 to scout for him. This prompts Heavy Tank to adress E-25 with a personal proposition to this effect. (This is a good start, much better than the vast majority of the WoT playerbase will ever manage. However...)

- Heavy Tank starts off with a personal insult. (To get the tone just right? To establish hierarchy? To follow some misaligned sense of forum decorum? We will never know.)

- Heavy Tank rounds off with an impeccable 'please', properly abbreviated according to standard chat formula. (There is obviously some level of basic understanding, however patchy, of the principles of polite society.)

To no one’s very great surprise, E-25 fails to immediately comply with Heavy Tank’s suggestion. This prompts Heavy Tank, also to no one's very great surprise, to teamkill E-25 with a 12,8 cm headshot.

I’ve been trying to figure out the thinking behind how Heavy Tank chose to word his first message to E-25, but so far, I’ve got nothing. I should probably just accept that it’s a weird and wonderful world out there, with so many weird and wonderful people living in it.

Been there.

I was playing my heavy tank (Mutant) on Fiery Salient when, towards the end of the game, a light tank (T64 with it's massive Alpha capability) behind me started spamming my position with pings and told me to '...spot gay noob...'. 

After i tried to explain to him, that i'm in a heavy and HE is the one who should do the spotting, he tracked me once and demanded that i uninstall the game cause i'm the ruining his game. 

I gave it some thought, decided what to do and moved forward where i managed to get two shots of and then turned my turret sideways, so the the last two hidden enemy TDs could destroy my tank faster. 

Then i told him why i did it, and wished him good luck winning the game. 

It ended in a defeat of course, with me being second or third in damage done and 4th in XP, while he ended up with ~200 damage, but the impotent rage in chat after the game was more worth then a victory. 

• Funny 1

Beta Tester
2,773 posts
3,076 battles
16 minutes ago, Jethro_Grey said:

Been there.

I was playing my heavy tank (Mutant) on Fiery Salient when, towards the end of the game, a light tank (T64 with it's massive Alpha capability) behind me started spamming my position with pings and told me to '...spot gay noob...'. 

After i tried to explain to him, that i'm in a heavy and HE is the one who should do the spotting, he tracked me once and demanded that i uninstall the game cause i'm the ruining his game. 

The tone in World of Tanks chat seems to have become gradually worse over the years. I play it less and less these days, as I quite frankly find it too depressing to congregate with a bunch of trolls who seem to think that casual rudeness is the way to behave around strangers and fellow gamers. The niceness of the good people gets lost in the din. It's up to us - all of us here in WoWs - to keep that sort of bad behaviour out of the World of Warships.

There's this line by Fio from Miyazaki Hayao's Porco Rosso, when she says that seaplane pilots are the best of the lot, "because their hearts are washed clean by both air and sea". Maybe Miyazaki was on to something, there...?

:cap_yes:

• Cool 2

[BFS]
Beta Tester
1,518 posts
9,670 battles
1 hour ago, Procrastes said:

People actually starting to shoot at team mates in order to get a kill for themselves - what is this, World of Tanks...?! You have a saint's forbearance, @Winged_Cat_Dormant. I like to think that I'm generally as nice and tolerant as the next guy, but I would most likely have flipped a switch at that. Karma points well merited, Captain!

I was in my Genova in a co-op game (I don't dare take it out in anything else)  on the weekend and I finished off a BB - I had been firing whenever the guns were ready but they reload as slow as a BB.   A Mutsu took exception to that and fired a broadside into  me and took out half my health (I think I was lucky to get away with that damage).  I asked them why and there was no response.  They are a commander of a three person clan.

WoWS is not as bad as WoT was a few years back.

• Angry 1

[JRM]
Players
4,005 posts
20,443 battles
59 minutes ago, BrusilovX said:

I was in my Genova in a co-op game (I don't dare take it out in anything else)  on the weekend and I finished off a BB - I had been firing whenever the guns were ready but they reload as slow as a BB.   A Mutsu took exception to that and fired a broadside into  me and took out half my health (I think I was lucky to get away with that damage).  I asked them why and there was no response.  They are a commander of a three person clan.

WoWS is not as bad as WoT was a few years back.

Sent the replay to customer service, I am sure WG will agree this kind of behavior is worth some cooling time... We can ask @MrConway for opinion...

[L4GG]
Players
2,350 posts
8,712 battles
7 hours ago, Winged_Cat_Dormant said:

Guys, players, fellow humans, please talk, please ask, please show some manners while in game

that can work but it's not guaranteed, especially in co-op.

there you are one of the undesired and in your p.o.V. every one is undesired.

there you have to pick a ship that you'll know it will prevail and go for it, extremely aggressively.

sometimes you got it sometimes no.

I remember a game where I torped a yamato (12 torps) and the bot didn't get sunk. He went down by fire.

I remember a game (that time was 5 ships not 8) I went for it in my Gneisenau. I torped the BB in my left, I torped the BB at my right, I shoot a third BB also in my right, then in my left there was cruiser withy torps, I put my bow in his direction full speed, the bot launched torps but I was too close for the torps to arm, but I wasn't in a cruiser I could not turn the other way in time, so I ram him.

Final score, first place, around 800 base XP and 4 ships sunk.

I bet the others didn't like that battle a bit.

Beta Tester
2,773 posts
3,076 battles
2 hours ago, BrusilovX said:

That is really sad behaviour. It speaks of a lack of maturity that I sincerely hope is due to youthful ignorance rather than just a bad personality. Count yourself fortunate that you had to spend only a fifteen-minute co-op battle in the company of that person. He has to spend all day in his own company.