You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Fede15thPzDiv

Italian cruisers are intentionally that bad?

564 comments in this topic

[102]
Players
518 posts
3,623 battles

I don't have any of the new Italian cruisers (yet). But of course I played against some already.

They seem pretty strong against other cruisers if you ask me.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 9

Alpha Tester
76 posts
9,276 battles
4 hours ago, FooFaFie said:

I don't have any of the new Italian cruisers (yet). But of course I played against some already.

How much did they endured before getting *EDIT* by citadels? Play them first and then we can discuss how did you manage to play decently and having fun... Apparently this game is turning to have fun with Soviet prototype ships, more than having fun with historically powerful and feared ships.

• Cool 17
  • Boring 1

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
1,856 posts
7,169 battles
3 minutes ago, FooFaFie said:

They really aren't. Unless a target present to you a flat broadside or slightly angled at best you will just bounce, shatter, cause miniscule damage or a combo of the above. Not to mention the tier 5 has absolute trash DPM so you can't exactly be a threat to DD's either.

• Cool 7

[102]
Players
518 posts
3,623 battles

All that I know on another profil I played some games in the RN T5 and T6 cruiser and the Italian cruisers  were hard and punishing. More than other cruisres.

Also if I look at the stats of the Trento it takes a high place in for wins and average damage. Even when you only pick the 25% best players. 

What do you want more? 

Alpha Tester
76 posts
9,276 battles

6 minutes ago, FooFaFie said:

All that I know on another profil I played some games in the RN T5 and T6 cruiser and the Italian cruisers  were hard and punishing. More than other cruisres.

Also if I look at the stats of the Trento it takes a high place in for wins and average damage. Even when you only pick the 25% best players. 

What do you want more? 

Play it first and then join the discussion with real arguments :Smile_coin:

• Cool 10
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 1

[SLUG]
Players
60 posts
6,801 battles

>Montecuccoli or Genova or Trento

I've played two games in each (well, one of the Genova games I had server connections issues and didn't get to fire the guns) but--

Montecuccoli  - seems like a decent-ish ship with expert marksman skill and the faster turret traverse upgrade. SAP good against angled cruisers and DDs. Smoke is fun and useful. 

Genova - possibly worst premium in the game? Up-tiers v badly. No smoke. Painfully slow reload. Makes the Omaha look like a cocksure monster. Weak armour and inability turn guns make French DDs terrifying. Terrible in a knife fight and bad at range, especially versus angled BB. No fun to play.

Trento - like Furutaka and Pensacola, hard hitting guns but feels even squishier. A ship only a masochist can enjoy.  Wretched ship.

• Cool 10

[102]
Players
518 posts
3,623 battles
8 minutes ago, Fede15thPzDiv said:

Play it first and then join the discussion with real arguments :Smile_coin:

Stats says other things...sorry if you can't handle it. I think you should reflect that there are better players out there that are better than you (and me ). And they seem to do alright with the ships.

And not every new incoming line  should be the next  über class. Some lines should be challenging.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 3

Players
608 posts
2,080 battles

I was looking forward to the Italian cruisers imagining they would display some brio and flair but after winning the Genova and all the silver ones available I declare they are all horrible to play and utterly unlike my Duca d'Aosta. If anybody has the Duca do not think the silver ships are going to be similar to play and fun ships.

• Cool 8

Players
863 posts
2,368 battles
4 minuti fa, FooFaFie ha scritto:

Stats says other things...sorry if you can't handle it.

And not every new incoming line  should be the next  über class. Some lines should be challenging.

The problem is that even Community Contributors complain that they are garbage. I didn't play them yet (got Montecuccoli mission yesterday), but I watched the CCs' videos and I looked at the stats. They have a too long reload, bad concealment, exc.

If they were actually challenging (but decent) there wouldn't be so many players (CCs included) complaining about them. In their current state they are just garbage.

• Cool 11

Players
8,436 posts
9,889 battles
15 minutes ago, MrFingers said:

Hey, they had to to something to make the Duca D'Aosta & D'Abruzzo look good.

This.

Same story with Ayyygle and Le Trollible and their silver equivalents to keep "p2w" factor in acceptable parameters:cap_tea:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[SCRUB]
Players
3,622 posts
9,700 battles

I knew even before the release that the line is gonna be garbage.

Long range spamming cruisers with absurd reload and without HE is just silly.

They look like a bunch of Furutacas at T7 to me.

Players
863 posts
2,368 battles
7 minuti fa, nambr9 ha scritto:

They look like a bunch of Furutacas at T7 to me.

I'd like to correct you with: STOCK Furutakas (has 20 second reload)

• Cool 5

Players
1,227 posts
8,358 battles
1 hour ago, FooFaFie said:

Genova has fantastic guns. Against all cruisers and some bbs. Excellent strike against dds. Kinda useful torps if you yolo a slow target. But... I agree that she can't take a punch even if you are angled, not a bad ship but difficult to play. Don't have any of the other ships cuz reasons*.

* No luck

• Cool 1

[THESO]
[THESO]
2,623 posts
8,300 battles

most cruiers at low and mid tier are not good.

Yeah I accept 4 5 6 and 7 they are not fun to grind. but you need time to adjust their playstyle.

They are new, they are nothing like any other ship around. Give them a little time.

On the other hand, If you manage to get up to tier 8.. oh yeah..

That line opens up from there. Tier 8 is only meh compared to 9 and 10.. but compared below, she is good.

But when you get your hands on Brindisi, then Venezia..

Those ships.. they really are strong.. and extremely fun to play with..

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 4

[BLAST]
Players
67 posts
8,727 battles

Genova has currently lower WR than Emerald - that takes some doing. :-)

Shame that you need to get to T8 before things get better. So much for getting more people to play mid-tier ships...

• Cool 8

[BYOB]
Players
3,937 posts
16,645 battles
6 minutes ago, Excavatus said:

most cruiers at low and mid tier are not good.

Yeah I accept 4 5 6 and 7 they are not fun to grind. but you need time to adjust their playstyle.

They are new, they are nothing like any other ship around. Give them a little time.

On the other hand, If you manage to get up to tier 8.. oh yeah..

That line opens up from there. Tier 8 is only meh compared to 9 and 10.. but compared below, she is good.

But when you get your hands on Brindisi, then Venezia..

Those ships.. they really are strong.. and extremely fun to play with..

Well, in my opinion having only ships that you struggle through, with the vague promise of the T10 being good, is a hallmark of bad design. Every other line in the game has at least one, if not more, ships at mid tiers that are fun to play after the grind. That's why perma camos are a thing. But the RM cruisers can all be sold after reaching T10. And why would anyone grind through a line of ships that aren't fun?

As to the time argument, the stats are already a bit underwhelming. When everyone and his dog will have the ships, then we will for the first time, have a line of ships that are all at the bottom of the list.

• Cool 12

Players
230 posts
7,639 battles

Got the t5/6/7 but after playing many battles with the t7, i dont even want to try lower tier Italian ships, When i got citadelled by a sharnhorst bow on, i had to check out the armor, and surprise surprise, wg made a light cruiser out of a heavy cruiser.

Despite the fact that the SAP ammo is just a HE shell with an Steelcap , you cant improve the penetration with IFHE, andnyou are completely helpless against russian BBs.

Other thing wg forgot to mention anywhere, you cant use the smoke modification 1 on italian ships, which is a bit [edited], considering that this is your only useful tool on the cruiser.

Italian cruiser line in wows in 4 words

Was wait worth bait?

• Cool 3
  • Angry 2

[IDDQD]
Players
370 posts
10,661 battles

my guess is that WG is trying to see how non-HE cruisers with no special-AP will perform. Could be tied with planned IFHE changes

Fire dmg usually equals to around 30-40% of dmg for <203mm HE cruisers, and that's coincidentally dmg difference between regular HE and SAP, they just kinda screwed up with high reload and situations where you can't damage angled target with neither SAP or AP...

we will see

• Cool 4

[CR33D]
[CR33D]
Players
2,130 posts
22,622 battles
3 minutes ago, ApolloF117 said:

Got the t5/6/7 but after playing many battles with the t7, i dont even want to try lower tier Italian ships, When i got citadelled by a sharnhorst bow on, i had to check out the armor, and surprise surprise, wg made a light cruiser out of a heavy cruiser.

It is designated as heavy cruiser because gun caliber, 203mm, not because it has some heavy armour. Every T7 cruiser, but Fiji and Atlanta, have 19mm bow and stern, no matter are the "heavy" or "light" cruiser.

Players
230 posts
7,639 battles
3 minutes ago, fumtu said:

It is designated as heavy cruiser because gun caliber, 203mm, not because it has some heavy armour. Every T7 cruiser, but Fiji and Atlanta, have 19mm bow and stern, no matter are the "heavy" or "light" cruiser.

Then i guess everything is wrong about the most armored cruiser in ww2

• Cool 11

[CAIN]
Players
3,652 posts
14,384 battles

I played them yesterday on my stream after i unlocked the Genova. 

The Genova Needs some love, either a reload of 15secs or the italian smoke, with either of these changes it'd be a decent/ good ship. 

Atm, Genova is bad, as in, it made me want to play the Emerald insteasd and i did enjoy the Pensacola afterwards.

But she has potential and with my proposed changes, it's be a good boat. 

I haven't played the Zara much, but oh boy, what a ship. If she's an indicator how good the italians get at high tiers i wants them nao! 

There is a difference on how you play the italian CAs, cause if you play the Genova like the Zara, you gonna die quickly. 

The later the game, the stronger they become, even without the ability to do dot damage. 

I like the Zara and i like the playstyle the italians offer. I like the SAP mechanic because it's so damn strong against cruisers and way too strong against DDs. Broadsiding BBs get easily punished, even bow-in BBs can get chunked with 4-6k Salvos if you hit the super structure. 

I'll be playing the Zara (and Maybe even the Genova) a bit more and maybe make a review. 

Would be nice to get the other italian CAs, but since i'm being cheap, i'm not gonna buy any premium crates to get them. ^^

So far tho, they get a thumbs up from me.

• Cool 4