Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
ApolloF117

Zara armor

5 comments in this topic

Players
230 posts
7,639 battles

When i was in school , I heard it soo many times durning history classes and here on the forum too, that Zara was a heavy cruiser, almost just as well armored as the Des Moines class, yet it feels like a bloody minotaur in world of warships, did wg just changed the "heavy" cruiser into a ligt one?

And overall, the mid tier Italian cruisers are just garbage ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
12,505 posts
17,759 battles

DM isn't exactly known to be a particularly tanky ship, you know?

Generally in this game how much armor you have on your belt doesn't matter as much as how big and high your citadel is due to distances combat usually occurs in which would be considered extremely close in real life.

The distinction between "heavy" and "light" cruiser comes from gun caliber, not armor nor displacement. Zara had 203mm guns, so she is classified as a heavy cruiser.

• Cool 4

Players
716 posts
10,688 battles

If you read the blurb on all the mid to low tier Italian cruisers it says they had good armour for their time and in their class... even the Trento that has a larger citadel than the Molatov with worse armour... I think the Gimmick (Balance) department is not talking to the modelling and historical research departments at WG otherwise we wouldn't have such a mess with most of the most recent additions to the game...

• Cool 3

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
3,309 posts
4,186 battles

To be entirely fair to WG Zara's armor was supposed to protect her from 6in (that's 152mm for the rest of you folks) gunfire, at certain ranges

Just because she is the best protected Washington Treaty heavy cruiser (largely thanks to being a thousand tons and change over the treaty limit) does not mean she's as well protected as a BB.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this