You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.
R17TSi

WW II vessel still in operational status

4 comments in this topic

[SKANE]
[SKANE]
Players
5 posts
4,640 battles

Did you all know,  that a vessel from the WW II is still in a operationaL state?
The swedish motor torpedo boat T26 i still in operational status as in the time. Well, the guns and torpedoes is locked today.
You can all visit her, and two more vessels from the cold war in Stockholm.
Would love to have this type of vessels in WOWS! The germans "schnellboot" ie as well.

The white line at her side was a sign, so she would be identified as a neutral vessel and hopefully not shot at...
I was the last operational crew at the T121 Spica class ships.
As a guner-craftsman in the swedish navy, you always carry this with pride, as I'm a 57mm Bofors pro! ;-)
image.thumb.png.e5d11b8bf7494a220cf1e8cab6089395.png

Best to you all!
Joakim Persson aka "R17TSI" in WOWs

• Cool 8

Players
31 posts
724 battles

thats great to know, joakim!

well, we also have a great WW1 battle-cruiser in greece that is a living legend:

the ''georgios averoff'' battle-cruiser. (it was mistakenly called as a ''battleship'', but in reality, it was an armoured battle-cruiser.)

OK, so, to give you a short recap of its glorious history, it was constructed in the livorno of italy on 1907, and it was bought by the greek navy on 1909, so that we could modernize our fleet.

this glorious ship could reach 18 knots of speed, and it was very efficient, fast, and with good artillery.

with the great ''georgios countouriotis'' as its captain, the ship achieved many great naval victories during the balkan wars (1912-1913), including the security of the aegean coasts and the destruction of the turkish flagship of the ottoman fleet.

later on, this ship shined on the WW1 naval battles, and it later did some reconnaissance missions during WW2, when some greek ships had to escape to other countries, due to the nazis taking over greece on 1941.

so, ''georgios averoff'' did some important reconnaissance  missions on the indian sea and on the surrounding areas, until it returned intact on greece after the end of the war, with many honours and actions of courage.

if there is one important greek WW1+WW2 ship that needs to be included in this game, its the ''georgios averoff''.

(also our destroyer ''elli'' was a great ship too, but she had a tragic end)

for more info on the ''georgios averoff'' ship:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_cruiser_Georgios_Averof

and yes, the ship is still preserved to this day, as a mobile museum-ship.

it is incredibly beautiful.

• Cool 2

[NSVE]
Players
308 posts
10,627 battles

World wide I believe there is nearly 270 WW2 ships still in use, I can't remember how many are still on active service.

Players
20 posts
907 battles
On 10/19/2019 at 10:36 PM, chris_von_dude said:

well, we also have a great WW1 battle-cruiser in greece that is a living legend:

the ''georgios averoff'' battle-cruiser. (it was mistakenly called as a ''battleship'', but in reality, it was an armoured battle-cruiser.)

The Averof has a very impressive service record, but she's not a battlecruiser; pretty sure she's the last surviving armoured cruiser though (the forerunners of the battlecruisers).

OP, around here until a few years ago we had the TS Lord Nelson which was actually the former Hugin-class patrol vessel HSwMS Vale (P155) from your lot; our local branch of the Sea Scouts used it as their base for about 17 years apparently :)