Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
wot_2016_gunner

Taranto port easter egg

12 comments in this topic

[NED]
Players
4,385 posts
12,087 battles

Wow. That's SO cool!! Thanks for that awesome facts OP! And kuddo's for your eagle eye! Regarding that: if you see a ship carrying my username, it's actually a plane in disguise. So it's useless to shoot at it with your main guns. Just thought I'd give you a heads up, so you won't be fooled. That'd severy damage your rep for having those eagle eyes. :Smile_teethhappy:

Players
871 posts
2,409 battles
11 minuti fa, Ferry_25 ha scritto:

Wow. That's SO cool!! Thanks for that awesome facts OP! And kuddo's for your eagle eye! Regarding that: if you see a ship carrying my username, it's actually a plane in disguise. So it's useless to shoot at it with your main guns. Just thought I'd give you a heads up, so you won't be fooled. That'd severy damage your rep for having those eagle eyes. :Smile_teethhappy:

Thx. Aircrafts have been my passion since I was really young (not even a year old), ships came about in the recent years. I'm now at the point that I only need to see the shape of an aircraft to recognize it (i might need a closer examination to determine the actual modification, like distinguishing a ME-109F-4 from ME-109G-2); i got shelves full of aircraft (and now even ships) magazines, both of old and modern aircrafts. The first aircraft that i "had a crush" on was, and still is, the Supermarine Spitfire; precisely, the "Grace Spitfire", OUV ml407; i saw the documantary about it. I don't play WoWP because I don't like it that much (I play Il-2 1946 instead, together with WoWS).

I also have this badge about the 50th anniversary of the F-104 entering service in Italy (I still don't remember how i got it)

IMG_20191018_212305.thumb.jpg.1003c59a0485d5c105428124c9effee7.jpg

• Cool 2

[RBMF]
1,024 posts
7,656 battles

giphy.gif.495c0e4018aec37bc0be778b473bb477.gif

tumblr_luv0zdHCaV1qbmtjno1_500.gif.f6df08f9502e589f5672e14d5afad63a.gif

If you don't get it, Italian Seaplanes... Gorgeous. Very nice of you to notice and share :)

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

Players
283 posts
5,805 battles
11 minuti fa, CptMinia ha scritto:

If you don't get it, Italian Seaplanes... Gorgeous. Very nice of you to notice and share :)

One of the characters of this beautiful anime, the friend of Porco Rosso still in the airforce, is... Ferrarin.... Probably a tribute by Miyazaki (who loved seaplanes and italian planes in particular, his anime production house is called Studio Ghibli, name of an italian bomber) to the italian pilot...

• Cool 1

Players
871 posts
2,409 battles

Guys, Arturo Ferrarin and Guido Masiero were the two of the raid "Roma-Tokyo". They flew with only a compass and a map ripped from an atlas, in this plane (I think still one of the best Italian aircrafts), the Ansaldo SVA.9

Ansaldo_SVA-9_San_Diego_Air_&_Space_Muse

• Cool 1

Players
871 posts
2,409 battles
19 minuti fa, _Lupastro_ ha scritto:

name of an italian bomber

My favourite will always be the Sparviero ("Il gobbo")

Players
1,029 posts
15,834 battles
32 minutes ago, _Lupastro_ said:

[...] Ghibli, name of an italian bomber [...]

Nickname. The Caproni Ca.309 got it from the Libyan word for sirocco and the sandstorms it causes in the desert.

Rommel uses both meanings in his memoirs shortly after arriving to that front: first as the nickname when he goes out for a reconnaissance flight, later on when he encounters a sandstorm while on a sortie by land after the Italian pilots categorically refused to take off for a second flight due to the weather forecast. He even admits being thankful to the pilots for their refusal and acknowledges how unprepared for the environment Germans were at the time by citing the decease of a Luftwaffe officer due to the very same storm that forced him to stay on the ground.

Salute.

[SM0KE]
Players
3,889 posts
10,698 battles
47 minutes ago, CptMinia said:

One of my favourite animations of all time...

[NED]
Players
4,385 posts
12,087 battles
1 hour ago, wot_2016_gunner said:

Thx. Aircrafts have been my passion since I was really young (not even a year old), ships came about in the recent years. I'm now at the point that I only need to see the shape of an aircraft to recognize it (i might need a closer examination to determine the actual modification, like distinguishing a ME-109F-4 from ME-109G-2); i got shelves full of aircraft (and now even ships) magazines, both of old and modern aircrafts. The first aircraft that i "had a crush" on was, and still is, the Supermarine Spitfire; precisely, the "Grace Spitfire", OUV ml407; i saw the documantary about it. I don't play WoWP because I don't like it that much (I play Il-2 1946 instead, together with WoWS).

I also have this badge about the 50th anniversary of the F-104 entering service in Italy (I still don't remember how i got it)

IMG_20191018_212305.thumb.jpg.1003c59a0485d5c105428124c9effee7.jpg

Perhaps you agree that our most dope looking airforce planes is the Starfighter...

2880px-Lockheed_F-104G_Starfighter_D-8114_(9179542542).jpg

[SM0KE]
Players
3,889 posts
10,698 battles
10 minutes ago, Ferry_25 said:

Starfighter...

They're very pretty, but according to a former RCAF pilot at a local museum, they referred to them in service as 'lawn darts' - partly because of the aesthetics, and partly because of their tendency to drive into the ground...

Visually though, they're glorious - if you're going to crash a lot, at least look good doing it!

• Cool 1

Players
283 posts
5,805 battles
6 ore fa, wot_2016_gunner ha scritto:

My favourite will always be the Sparviero ("Il gobbo")

Cursed hunchbacked (Gobbo Maledetto) :Smile_great:

Yes my fav too, but as usual in italian of '30 and '40 something like " I would like but I can't". Great ideas, great potential, brave pilots but somehow the projects were always lacking in some feature

Sign in to follow this