Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Bics93

Italian cruisers rudder?

20 comments in this topic

[FABER]
[FABER]
Players
543 posts
5,868 battles

I was thinking about an ideal build for upcoming italian cruiser, but I’ve some doubts about “last stand” skill, especially on higher tier ones.

So far there are about 3 categories:

- UK and Japanese cruisers rudder break with 152-203HE up to tier 7 (plus Atago);

- URSS, German and USA ones only up to tier 5;

- French ones up to tier 9, while tier 10 doesn’t need “last stand”.

Do you have any info about rudder durability on italian cruisers? 

Souce: this useful Reddit guide:  https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/9ax7ut/guide_for_cruisers_should_you_take_a_last_stand/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body

• Cool 2

[ONE2]
Players
3,028 posts
18,638 battles

Personally I have mostly taken "Last Stand" skill for DD's + Yubari +Kuma + Yahagi + Furutaka and that's about it methinks. Sure you will get a few rudder breakages in other ships too, but it is quite infrequent and I can use the points on something more optimal instead (usually, but not always, it's Adrenaline Rush for my Cruisers - 203mm ones anyway). I think I will start by not taking it for any and see, what the performance is. If rudder breakages reach a critical point (nearly every or every other game or so), then I will consider taking it on a ship-to-ship basis. :cap_old:

Players
2,639 posts
16,058 battles

Last stand has become somewhat redundant after Preventative Maintenance was moved from a 5 point captain skill (1 point less and protects turrets/torpedoes too)

You could even drop LS on destroyers when stacking PM and the new DD damage control (although there's usually nothing else affordable worth taking)

• Cool 2

[FABER]
[FABER]
Players
543 posts
5,868 battles
20 minuti fa, RAHJAILARI ha scritto:

Sure you will get a few rudder breakages in other ships too, but it is quite infrequent

The fact is that rudder breakages are regualted by math: the chance of losing rudder on Furutaka is the same on Atago, Fiji or Saint-Louis: you just need a splash from a 100mm HE shell to have a dice roll for incapacitation.

[ONE2]
Players
3,028 posts
18,638 battles
22 minutes ago, Bics93 said:

The fact is that rudder breakages are regualted by math: the chance of losing rudder on Furutaka is the same on Atago, Fiji or Saint-Louis: you just need an splash from a 100mm HE shell to have a dice roll for incapacitation.

That may be, but in practice (when I am actually playing the game) I do not get noticeable frequency of rudder breakages on those other ships (even Aoba, which I think is strange TBH) and so I have chosen not to take it. However in Furu, for one reason or another, that tends to be a frequent occurrence. This probably has much to do with the fact that, due to shorter gun range, with Furutaka you have to operate within short 12-13 km range, while with the others you get to be a bit further away (14-15km) and consequently suffer fewer damaging hits on those parts. This choice has noticeably improved my success in Furutaka while having no noticeable effect on the performance any other ships. So that's the approach I'm taking on Italian Cruisers too. :cap_tea:

• Cool 1

[FABER]
[FABER]
Players
543 posts
5,868 battles
9 minuti fa, RAHJAILARI ha scritto:

That may be, but in practice (when I am actually playing the game) I do not get noticeable frequency of rudder breakages on those other ships and so I have chosen not to take it. However in Furu, for one reason or another, that tends to be a frequent occurrence. This probably has much to do with the fact that, due to shorter gun range, with Furutaka you have to operate within short 12-13 km range, while with the others you get to be a bit further away (14-15km) and consequently suffer fewer damaging hits on those parts. This choice has noticeably improved my success in Furutaka while having no noticeable effect on the performance any other ships. So that's the approach I'm taking on Italian Cruisers too. :cap_tea:

Fine then, hope someone can give me a “less empiric” answer :fish_book:

[DAVY]
Players
2,202 posts
11,550 battles

well you will get a captain reset before and after clan battles, so have a play with the set up and see what suits...

Weekend Tester
1,023 posts
6,371 battles

So far i use the same captain as the Roma...

I only have the Zara atm.

Spoiler

WorldOfWarships64_ybplhhu3ud.thumb.png.2ac14cc826c4b246f6a0f6e1f819c69d.png

Blue - What i'd get atm

Yellow - Potentially interesting

Might be worth not going Fire prevention for Vigilance and Expert loader.

[3F]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
117 posts
8,815 battles

image.png.e1e2d96b1d904bc852bdd482fbb15fff.png

This is what I have come up with.

There is a whole lot of skills that do not really make sense on Italian Cruisers, which leaves you with options you normally wouldnt pursue on other cruiser lines.

I mainly focus on a competitive/ClanBattle setup.

I think Last Stand is not a huge gain since you do not loose steering/engine that often. If you do, you can just use Damage Con since you do not suffer from fires that much.

What I find interesting is Vigilance and Radio Locations. I want the possiblity to hunt DDs and those skills really help if you do not have Radar or Hydro.

But this is not meant for a DD-Hunter Setup alone, but for those clutch-matches where its 1v1 (Cruiser vs DD) or similar situation where crap really depends on you. Missing out on other skills for more allround-situations doesnt hurt as much on italian Cruisers.

[JRM]
Players
3,994 posts
20,425 battles

The rudder at T5 and 6 breaks like crazy, T8 a little less...

• Cool 1

Players
1,712 posts
6,444 battles

T5-T6 - Rudders made of thin tin foil that break even when the enemy loads into the game, LS & PM are a 100% absolute necessity for those tiers.

I had 4 engine and 6 rudder breaks in one Genova game from 2 Clemsons and the secondaries of a Kongo I fought - Thats just silly levels of weak and made me put the ship away until I could get the the 3 points I needed in a re-spec!

• Cool 2

[FABER]
[FABER]
Players
543 posts
5,868 battles
1 ora fa, Yedwy ha scritto:

T8 a little less

Do u remember if it was from cruiser HE or BB shells? 

[FABER]
[FABER]
Players
543 posts
5,868 battles
51 minuti fa, IanH755 ha scritto:

T5-T6 - Rudders made of thin tin foil

So it seems that they follow the UK-Japanese rule, let’s see if someone with the tier 8 has something to add.

I’ll also watch some CC content to see if tier 9 and 10 get incapacitated from cruiser HE... 

[JRM]
Players
3,994 posts
20,425 battles
6 hours ago, Bics93 said:

Do u remember if it was from cruiser HE or BB shells? 

Honestly I dont remember but I think it was BB calibers all the time on amalfi, at T5&6 both for sure

[DC_DK]
Players
2,862 posts
29,362 battles

I have started to equip all my cruisers with last stand. Seems engines get knocked out more than earlier. Especially when being hit by aerial torpedoes, it might not cause flooding but you are more or less forced to use your damage con not to sit dead in the water for the next drop.

[W-C]
Players
18 posts
1,419 battles

Two times today I've had the situation where I get hit by one shell, rudder breaks, then I get hit by another shell and the rudder breaks again. Literally 2 broken rudders from 2 hits. Nürnberg and Aoba, am I just extremely unlucky?

Players
1,361 posts
13,573 battles

I don't remember having any particular rudder issues on Amalfi, Brindisi or now on Venezia. This is not the french line where someone on the other side of the planet looks at the wiki entry fo the charles martel and over here it's rudder gets disabled as a result. There, you want LS and rudder mod (as it will break all the time even with the mod). I can't say I noticed the rudder being particularly vulernable on the italian cruisers. Mind you, I haven't played the mid tiers much, started the line at Zara, but that seemed fine rudder wise as well.

[FABER]
[FABER]
Players
543 posts
5,868 battles
3 ore fa, Captain_Newman ha scritto:

I don't remember having any particular rudder issues on Amalfi, Brindisi or now on Venezia. This is not the french line where someone on the other side of the planet looks at the wiki entry fo the charles martel and over here it's rudder gets disabled as a result. There, you want LS and rudder mod (as it will break all the time even with the mod). I can't say I noticed the rudder being particularly vulernable on the italian cruisers. Mind you, I haven't played the mid tiers much, started the line at Zara, but that seemed fine rudder wise as well.

Can confirm that Montecuccoli, Trento and Zara lose rudder like french cruisers do, so if you plan to have a dedicated captain for this ships (and Gorizia maybe) Last Stand may be worth.

I didn’t try Amalfi yet, but watching Flamu playing it I saw that the ship has still rudder fragility, only the tier 9-10 seem to have HE-resistant rudder.

[FABER]
[FABER]
Players
543 posts
5,868 battles
3 ore fa, Gnolfus ha scritto:

Two times today I've had the situation where I get hit by one shell, rudder breaks, then I get hit by another shell and the rudder breaks again. Literally 2 broken rudders from 2 hits. Nürnberg and Aoba, am I just extremely unlucky?

Japanese cruisers until tier 7 included (plus Atago) have rudders that are vulnerable to cruiser-caliber HE shells, while Nürenberg loses rudder only if hit by something with really powerful HE, like BBs, then at tier 7+ German’s rudder becomes resistant to all HE shells.

Players
1,361 posts
13,573 battles
7 minutes ago, Bics93 said:

I didn’t try Amalfi yet, but watching Flamu playing it I saw that the ship has still rudder fragility, only the tier 9-10 seem to have HE-resistant rudder.

Like I said, I didn't notice any particular rudder issues with the Zara, though to be fair I grinded through it rather quickly stacking a bunch of camos and flags, so, maybe I just didn't have time to notice.

I can definitely say I never saw Amalfi having particular rudder problems outside the norm for standard cruisers. Same goes for Brindisi and Venezia.

Sign in to follow this