You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Flash2003jak

How to fix smolensk - an idea

85 comments in this topic

Players
17 posts
3,803 battles

I think we can all agree that the current smolensk is broken and ruining tier 10 matches. I think that introducing the ship into the game in this state was a huge mistake by WG and is going to bite them in the [edited]at some point. I know that WGs policies say that premium ships can't be nerfed, but the smolensk is technically a reward ship that cannot be bought with real money, so maybe there is a chance? So yeah this is my suggestion how to balance the ship and make it more enjoyable to play against. 

I have thought about this a lot and it's actually pretty hard to come up with a good solution that doesn't either make smolensk a bad ship or leaves it too strong. I think there are 2 options:

1- Reduce the ships strengths 

Or

2- increase its weaknesses. 

I would prefer the second option, but here is how I would imagine those 2:

1 is simpler, just lower the fire rate and fire chance to reduce the damage potential. Easy way to solve the problem, but I think it is the less elegant option because it lowers the overall skill ceiling. Smolensk would just deal less damage while retaining its inherent weaknesses, punishing good players that are able to get the most out of the ship just as much as newer players that are less capable. 

2 is more complicated and there are more ways how this could go wrong. Here is how I'd do it: the weakness of the smolensk is how squishy it is.

So:

make it even less survivable and less powerful close range. Get rid of its torpedoes. Increase the detection smoke firing penalty to about 8km. And take away its heals. I was even thinking about the ship only being able to fire HE but Idk if that would be too much.

This would mean that the smolensk is entirely a glass cannon. It would still be very strong sitting in smoke with something spotting for it. But an enemy DD spotting it in its smoke, or a radar cruiser pushing into it, would have a much higher chance of being able to deal with it and not being deleted. 

Right now, it is very easy for the smolensk to punish anything that gets close to its smoke trying to rush it down, because the Russian AP is very potent and it's torpedoes give it an edge in those scenarios.

What I want to reach with those changes is a ship similar to Atlanta or shimakaze in the sense that it has one or two huge strengths and in return very pronounced weaknesses. Or in other words an extremely high skill ceiling but a very high skill floor as well. It would make the ship much harder to play because the smolensks mistakes could be punished much harder. A very skilled player could compensate that and get huge damage every match, but a bad player could be sniffed out and destroyed much easier. 

Please let me know what you think about my suggestion, do you think the nerf would be enough or do you think it would still be too strong?

No matter what it looks like, we need a nerf so please WG, please fix smolensk. 

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 7
  • Bad 9

[SHAD]
Players
1,152 posts

I don’t really support nerfs in general but if it had to happen:

Replace 30mm plating with 25mm.

Increase citadel armour to 100mm to arm more shells.

Worth noting that this ship has very few hit points so this could end up being too much.

• Cool 7

[CATS]
Players
21,661 posts
13,042 battles
16 minutes ago, Flash2003jak said:

I think we can all agree that the current smolensk is broken and ruining tier 10 matches.

Being annyoing does not make a ship broken.

WG should have gone for a completly different concept: Open water cruiser

• remove smoke
  • remove range modul
  • improve concealment
  • add zombie heal
  • add HP
  • adapt plating
  • improve rudder shift
  • (optional: improve turning circle)
  • (optional: improve acceleration/deceleration)
  • Cool 4

[NWP]
Players
7,540 posts
8,134 battles
18 minutes ago, gopher31 said:

Increase citadel armour to 100mm to arm more shells.

I think its more an issue, that the ship is too thin to let the shell detonate inside it. Its hard to test, because cant put Smolensk as bots in training room. Only >431mm BB AP would not arm the shell at ~65-90 Degree angle. At 65degress or less, the armor is thick enough to arm all shells. Doesnt mean that they detonate in time however.

100mm armor might change that a bit, as thicker armor would slow the shells down.

Spoiler

But psst, actually all but 2 TX BBs can HE citadel Smolensk, because 70mm Citadel armor is not enough to stop most BB HE. Im wondering, how noone actually thought of this so far. First time i write this actually, ive been keeping it secret, so i can see the SMolensk flame here :cap_horn:

• Cool 2

Players
8,435 posts
9,889 battles
17 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

Its hard to test, because cant put Smolensk as bots in training room

You can add one, assuming you have it

Spoiler

shot-19-10-17-18-15-22-0859.jpg

[NWP]
Players
7,540 posts
8,134 battles
Just now, Panocek said:

You can add one, assuming you have it

But ive heard its moving + armed then. So not that good for testing? :cap_yes:

Players
8,435 posts
9,889 battles
1 minute ago, DFens_666 said:

But ive heard its moving + armed then. So not that good for testing? :cap_yes:

Still better than trying to experiment on one in the wild:Smile_smile:

[NWP]
Players
7,540 posts
8,134 battles
1 minute ago, MadBadDave said:

Do exactly the same they did with Belfast "REMOVE" it, oh it's russian they won't !!!.

Kutuzov...?

[THESO]
Beta Tester
1,507 posts
9,952 battles

give her radar and the ability to dive like a submarine

• Funny 4

[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles
1 hour ago, ColonelPete said:

Being annyoing does not make a ship broken.

WG should have gone for a completly different concept: Open water cruiser

• remove smoke
  • remove range modul
  • improve concealment
  • add zombie heal
  • add HP
  • adapt plating
  • improve rudder shift
  • (optional: improve turning circle)
  • (optional: improve acceleration/deceleration)

except that exists and is called Colbert, essentially... with the added benefit of actually having a highly amusing gimmick in the speedboost.

• Cool 2

[SCRUB]
Players
3,621 posts
9,700 battles

i have no xp with the ship....

id reducefire chance, reduce range so more ppl use range mod. nerf torps (debatable).

Beta Tester
2,690 posts
6,913 battles
1 hour ago, MadBadDave said:

Do exactly the same they did with Belfast "REMOVE" it, oh it's russian they won't !!!.

Kutuzov, Gremlin and Nikolai would like a word with you :Smile-_tongue:

Players
1,677 posts
17,247 battles
4 hours ago, Flash2003jak said:

I think we can all agree that the current smolensk is broken and ruining tier 10 matches.

I actually think it's a great wrench thrown in the wheels of the silly meta we have at tier X. I love seeing BB confused in tier X. I love seeing Stalingrad and Moscvas burned in their stalemate positions. Love pushing radar ships away to help caps. I enjoy burning island campers. I hate the tier X meta, and this ship lets me crap all over the ones that keep it hostage. Inertia has been dictating the tier X meta way too long. I'll keep sailing this until they nerf it to bits :Smile_trollface:

Yeah I use a 19 km range Smol. What of it? :Smile_hiding:

• Cool 4

Players
608 posts
2,080 battles

I think the idea of nerfing it is at the moment just a knee-jerk reaction to a few unicums and experienced people playing it along with some exceptional battles posted on YouTube. Just wait until I have a few more battles on it, that will rebalance it's stats.

[SPUDS]
Beta Tester
4,574 posts
16,821 battles

just remove the smoke so you have to use some actual skill (to a certain degree) to use it

Players
1,486 posts
1 hour ago, Major_Damage225 said:

How to fix Smolensk, easy, fight IFHE fire with IFHE fire. 

Introducing the IJN AA cruiser. 

1176876638_the_japanese_atlanta_coloured_by_tzoli-d7q93zt(1).thumb.png.1418ee2859745d6520c24adfa30b3cc0.png

:Smile_trollface:

Psst!

Harugumo out guns it, out pens it and is faster

:Smile_great:

Beta Tester
2,690 posts
6,913 battles
19 minutes ago, 631327334013 said:

Psst!

Harugumo out guns it, out pens it and is fast 

:Smile_great:

True, but a cruiser that has