You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Jethro_Grey

Clan Battles - Mercenaries

16 comments in this topic

[CAIN]
Players
3,653 posts
14,384 battles

I want to play clan battles for a while now, even before I had to leave the game for almost one year. 

Now even more so, but like many others who started late to the whole clan party, I struggle to find members. 

Recently, two players joined which make me very happy, but to play CBs, you need a big(ger) rooster as not everyone can play everyday due to real life and whatnot. 

When checking someone‘s stats last night, I accidentally clicked on his team battle tab instead of ranked. 

Which reminded me, back in the day, when team battles was the closest thing we had to clan battles, you could hire mercs to fill up your ranks. 

I‘d like to see this feature implemented for clans as well. 

The way it could work is, a member of a clan or a player without clan registers as merc and can get hired. 

For each victory, he not only gets the rewards from the battles itself, but also some oil and coal and possibly other goodies that clan members are willing to donate from the treasury of the clan that hired him. Would require some additions to the clan treasury. 

Exceptions are ships, doubloons, steel, credits or basically anything that could hurt WGs profits. 

It also would prevent clans and players with a thick wallet snatching all good/ available mercs and leaving smaller clans in the dust. 

To avoid clan hoping, a merc can only sign with two clans per Season, all other restrictions in regards to switching clans apply. 

To prevent clans from scamming mercs, they get all bonuses automatically after a set period. 

Same applies in the other direction tho, if a merc leaves the clan without fulfilling his contract, he only receives the rewards for the time he was active.  

For instance, both parties agree to have the contract run 4 weeks with a playtime of 20 hours. 

After playing 4hours total, the merc wants to leave. 

In this case, he’d only receive the rewards for the time played and not the 4 weeks. 

It might be a piece of work, but it could work and it would help smaller clans getting their feet wet in CBs while giving players of other clans a chance to play for additional rewards. 

Thoughts? 

• Cool 6

[HOO]
Players
1,773 posts
3,382 battles

I've thought about this subject myself. But I keep coming to the same conclusion.

Part of a successful CB season, is developing your clans tactics and strategies, to cope with whatever meta seems to develop using the ships available in your clan. That changes dependent on the league you find yourself in and as a season progresses. That means consistency and knowing each other strengths and weaknesses. Mercs do not provide that. Also if Mercs are allowed I can actually see smaller clans struggle to keep members, as they go off to be Mercs and gain regular CB with whoever will take them.

A better solution would be for WG to introduce some sort of alliance system where small clans can fight CB under a unified tag and share the rewards equally or based on each clans member participation. This would also allow larger clans spread across multiple tags to fight as one unit.

• Cool 2

Players
1,870 posts
17,931 battles

Can't the merc just join the clan for the duration and leave afterwards?

Can't 2 or 3 small clans merge to one clan of sufficient size?

At least these are the easiest solutions from WG's perspective.

• Cool 1

WoWs Wiki Team, Supertester, Privateer
1,298 posts
10,728 battles
1 hour ago, Jethro_Grey said:

Thoughts? 

I see guys being hired on ebay (and paid) and noone within WG can interfere or limit this. Like the "chinese" Gold-Grinders in various MMORPG.

Your idea isn't that bad, but imho Clans should do their own things and expand (or merge) if they are not able to to the clan's main purpose concerning Warships-Battles. 

[HOO]
Players
1,773 posts
3,382 battles
13 hours ago, Ze_Reckless said:

Yes

and

Yes, however. The tag everyone merges into receives the oil reward and if WG give anything to the clan treasury it goes in there as well.

Players
494 posts
10,576 battles

I'm in a clan with my son, he hardly plays as he is busy doing other things that a 31 year old with commitments should be doing, so Clan Wars aren't a thing for me, co-ordinated fighting isn't something I play.  Random mode is hardly what you would call team play :Smile_facepalm: Mercs would be a way in for players who wish to participate but don't want to leave their small clans.  I can see the pros and cons, I'd love it to work but somehow I don't see it happening unfortunately. Good idea though @Jethro_Grey :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 4

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
2,939 posts
11,069 battles
16 hours ago, Jethro_Grey said:

Thoughts

Start licking windows - I even throw in a free Pony Plushie as a bribe, and dwell under the never sleeping ever watchful gaze of our overlord Loran.:Smile_hiding:

• Funny 1

Players
2,514 posts
15 hours ago, Ze_Reckless said:

Easiest solutions often prove the hardest for WG, for some reason:Smile_veryhappy:

[THESO]
[THESO]
2,623 posts
8,300 battles

Basically WOT team battles = WOWs Clan battles.

Same format!

Mercs allowed in WOT team battles but as a former FC from WOT,

the only mercs I got in my team were close friends from other clans.

I've(we) never ever asked out in the open for a merc. If we didn't have enough players to play, we simply didn't play.

Clan battles needs coordination, tactics, knowing each other, I wouldn't allow a stranger into our CB team.

I would only allow them, If they come a little earlier (at least a week) and meet us, play with us daily..

so.. then it is better they should join into our clan...

• Cool 1

[DAVY]
Players
2,675 posts
16 hours ago, Salentine said:

come join us :P

@Jethro_Grey   There you go mate, join for the CB's and leave at the end.....we always get a team up and you may find you enjoy it too. 

edit - also, you will get full clan bonuses from a completed port.

[CAIN]
Players
3,653 posts
14,384 battles
On 10/16/2019 at 8:50 PM, Salentine said:

come join us :P

On 10/17/2019 at 1:35 PM, bushwacker001 said:

@Jethro_Grey   There you go mate, join for the CB's and leave at the end.....we always get a team up and you may find you enjoy it too. 

edit - also, you will get full clan bonuses from a completed port.

On 10/17/2019 at 12:01 PM, havaduck said:

Start licking windows - I even throw in a free Pony Plushie as a bribe, and dwell under the never sleeping ever watchful gaze of our overlord Loran.:Smile_hiding:

Very much appreciated guys! 

But i have to repectfully decline for now. 

I'd feel like a complete d*ck leaving the guys who recently joined my clan hanging in the breeze. 

On 10/16/2019 at 8:38 PM, Ze_Reckless said:

That was basically the idea, join play leave. Or, join permanetly.

I would never ever merge with another clan, there's too much that can go wrong.

On 10/17/2019 at 1:11 PM, Excavatus said:

Basically WOT team battles = WOWs Clan battles.

Same format!

Mercs allowed in WOT team battles but as a former FC from WOT,

the only mercs I got in my team were close friends from other clans.

I've(we) never ever asked out in the open for a merc. If we didn't have enough players to play, we simply didn't play.

Clan battles needs coordination, tactics, knowing each other, I wouldn't allow a stranger into our CB team.

I would only allow them, If they come a little earlier (at least a week) and meet us, play with us daily..

so.. then it is better they should join into our clan...

That's true, and that coordination takes time, so it might not be an option for larger, established clans. 

Which my idea wasn't aimed at anyway, but the small ones who don't have a unicum line-up of players and can barely if any discounts offer to prospective members and are thus not the first, second or third choice for Players who are Looking to join a clan.

On 10/16/2019 at 8:54 PM, Wizard27_1979 said:

I see guys being hired on ebay (and paid) and noone within WG can interfere or limit this. Like the "chinese" Gold-Grinders in various MMORPG.

Your idea isn't that bad, but imho Clans should do their own things and expand (or merge) if they are not able to to the clan's main purpose concerning Warships-Battles. 

There will always be people who will abuse a system like this. 

And basically nothing would change, because if you look around e-bay or the web in general, you'll find plenty of black sheep Looking for 'servises' or offering their 'services' to clans for cash, helping players rank out for cash or leveling an unicum acccount for cash. 

On 10/16/2019 at 7:52 PM, Fat_Maniac said:

I've thought about this subject myself. But I keep coming to the same conclusion.

Part of a successful CB season, is developing your clans tactics and strategies, to cope with whatever meta seems to develop using the ships available in your clan. That changes dependent on the league you find yourself in and as a season progresses. That means consistency and knowing each other strengths and weaknesses. Mercs do not provide that. Also if Mercs are allowed I can actually see smaller clans struggle to keep members, as they go off to be Mercs and gain regular CB with whoever will take them.

A better solution would be for WG to introduce some sort of alliance system where small clans can fight CB under a unified tag and share the rewards equally or based on each clans member participation. This would also allow larger clans spread across multiple tags to fight as one unit.

An Alliance system would basically be a merc system, but instead of hiring single players from various clans, you'd be hiring a clan. 

How it would work depends of course how WG would set something like that up. 

But i can imagine that there will be a lot of discussion under which banner the alliance should fight (…my clan is better then your clan, so under my banner'...'you need my clan, so we fight under my banner or we look for someone else').

It might happen that some players decide to be mercs, which could however be avoided by allowing only clan members to be mercs. 

Besides, those who could be valued mercs would be mostly players with unicum stats, and those are likely to stay with clans who can provide them with a strong Player population of same ability level. 

And how likely is it for a 40-49% WR player to be successful as merc? 

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
2,939 posts
11,069 battles
55 minutes ago, Jethro_Grey said:

I'd feel like a complete d*ck leaving the guys who recently joined my clan hanging in the breeze. 

If they are good people then there are plenty of

deviantart-qtpony-809275589.jpg

available with the windowlickers and subdivisions. :Smile_trollface::Smile_hiding:

Joking aside, I understand. GL :Smile_honoring:mate!

[HOO]
Players
1,773 posts
3,382 battles
55 minutes ago, Jethro_Grey said:

And how likely is it for a 40-49% WR player to be successful as merc? 

Very, because only small clans need mercs to compete in clan battles, and if you are unicum and want to play CB you will probably already be a valued member of a clan and get a spot in a CB team whenever you want one. If you are not valued then you simply move to a clan where you will be used more.

• Cool 1

[DAVY]
Players
2,194 posts
11,539 battles
1 hour ago, Jethro_Grey said:

we have space for those two as well if you like :P

[-GBF-]
Players
765 posts
3,274 battles

Having Mercenaries wouldn't be a terrible thing to be honest. You would have a few communication issues but that's not a big deal really.