Tanatoy

General feedback - 0.8.9

103 comments in this topic

[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Administrator, Community, WG Team
3,581 posts
3,326 battles

Hi all,

Thanks in advance for your feedback regarding the 0.8.9 update overall. 

If there's a topic that you would like to specifically talk about, please check first if it's not listed below:

- Italian Arc First part

- Halloween Operations (Saving Transylvania and Sunray in the Darkness)

- Raid for the Filth

- Visibility changes

- Spectator mode

- Sounds

- Balance changes, improvements & fixes.

Players
356 posts

[ Re-formatted and edited for better readability, original post in spoiler. No new content added. My experience /w the EU-client is largely identical.]

Logged into SEA just now to have a peek at 0.8.9.

[My initial reaction was quite enthusiastic.] 

Hey, if my first impressions, re. client start, visuals, intro screen and the responsiveness of port gui and settings menus are representative -> ¡me gusta! (ツ)

And re. client shut down, i.e. how long it takes, and the transition to desktop: imagine me nodding approvingly.

Didn't look at (and listen to) more, yet, but will do so momentarily...   ;  ) Seriously nice.

Loading times feel shorter, either due to the quicker responding port gui, to special filth laced server hamster event rations (scnr ;;->), or actually shorter loading times :- )

Effectively they feel quicker. And now, in anticipation of battle sound, frame rate and changed spotting mechanics ... 

Fair seas! Cheers!

[Then I returned to the game to play some CoOps for collecting more impressions. Alas, as it quickly turned out, I had posted a bit hastily...]

-edit:

Damn! While the transition to Desktop is quick, the game doesn't actually shut down at all. There are still processes running in the background, making it impossible to restart the game, until i terminate the process tree via task manager.

So I logged the client shut down /w procmon and looked into the syslog. TL;DR: it seems that there are (i.a.) a problems /w WargamingErrorMonitor.exe and how the gfx card is handled. After my first impression I'm quite disappointed about this. Blocking the ErrorMonitor is no workaround: while the client actually shuts down, this also results in displaced elements in the port gui rendering the client unusable. For the time being I return to my standard workaround of alt-tab out and killing the process tree. Also, atm I don't feel inclined to give further feedback re. debugging and will not add content to this post, unless i encounter an issue that keeps me from playing the game.

[To end the post I started on topic I added my subjective evaluation as summary, supplementing a few impressions.]

-edit 2:

Good: To me / on my system the sound seems ok again, so far. Turned dynamic range back on, set all sliders to max, and on the external speakers i haven't noted any issues.

Bad: While the client shut down seemed fast at first it actually doesn't shut down at all. The effects are currently even more annoying than before the update.

Ugly: Nothing really ugly, actually. So far I only encountered some minor bugs, e.g. small blemishes in the gui.

Neutral: No conclusive impression re. a possible frame rate decrease. At least I didn't note any massive fps drops. 

Spoiler

Hey, if the state and operation of the client giving me my first impressions represent the state of the client from here on...

- re. client start, visuals, intro screen, ...actually sssnappy port gui and settings menus... -->  ¡me gusta! (ツ) ...

--- and... client shut down, re. ΔT and overall transition to desktop...   bloody. hell. yes.    [nods appreciatively] [edit:  shakes head in mild sadness]

[edit:] .....AAAaaaaawwww.... SNAP!   ...turns out that, while transition to Desktop is quick, the game won't restart / processes remain running in the background until i nuke'em from task manager. 

workaround / debugging hints -->

- look at how the gfx card is addressed/handled (looked at a procmon log, ... sheesh...).

- if "C:\Games\World_of_Warships_Eu\bin64\WargamingErrorMonitor.exe" is suspended/blocked the client shuts down notably slower, but it actually shuts down... ^^

hngn...argh. :-/ when the ErrorMonitor is suspended/blocked the mousovers/buttons in port are fu, i.e. displaced and not usable.

[:edit]

*cough*  So far so good...*cough* ... *cough*      [eagerly attempting to filter off first impression bias]

Didn't look at (and listen to) more, yet, but will do so momentarily...   ;  )

Seriously... nice.

Loading times are loading times, naturally, - but I seriously couldn't say if they "just" feel shorter due to the the unfamiliar snappy gui, to special filth laced hamster event rations (scnr ;-) or, well... shorter loading times :- )

which all comes down to it feels faster, in effect.

And now... in anticipation of battle sound, frame rate and spotting... 

Fair seas! Cheers!

[edit:]

good: sound seems ok so far. dynamic range on, all sliders to max, and on the external speakers it's ok. (will update re. headset + other sound chips)

bad: client shutdown... finally fast - apparently! ...if it would actually shut down ;;->

ugly: (minor bugs only, so far, ...in gui, will update if applicable). 

tbc: fps... 

[will update this,.eventually  changed my mind. had it for now. good luck]

[:edit]

p.s. As I understood the downvote was due to my hasty and impulsive abuse of formatting and nearly incomprehensible formulation. And rightfully so I have to agree, after having re-read the original post. Therefor I edited and re-formatted it. And I would like to express my thanks for the vote, and again for the straightforward answer re. it's reason. 

• Bad 1

Players
346 posts
17,772 battles

The install has taken 45 minutes so far and is not yet done.

By the way, the last 40 minutes it have been stuck at "Installing... /1 MB remains to download,"

And yes, I have allowed the installer to use all my resources when installing.

This is not a problem with my connection or computer.

I got a 1 gigabit both up and down , raided M.2, 32 gb DDR4  ... well you get my point.

The installer should not take this long, unless the installer is doing things it should not be doing.

/Me

• Cool 1

Players
456 posts
9,483 battles

When in spectator mode I can no longer follow the torpedoes and shots by pressing 1,2 or 3. Anyone else got this?

[-BIC-]
Players
3 posts
10,982 battles

After this updating, for me it becomes impossible to open my armory, inventory and premium shop in the game. I have tried many times: open, wait for a very long time, and still blank. And also, when I want to exit game, the game will crash immediately, the page will blockked either, the only way to terminate the game is task manager. 

Players
24 posts
7,643 battles

On the Public Test Server I had problems logging out (game would stay stuck on the Confirmation Yes/No screen) had to use Task Manager to shut the game down, This was REPORTED.

Still getting the same problem now with 8.9.0 update live.

Do you people EVEN READ the feedback given to you ????

• Cool 6

[ADC_1]
Alpha Tester
27 posts
12,812 battles
3 minutes ago, Woodchip17 said:

On the Public Test Server I had problems logging out (game would stay stuck on the Confirmation Yes/No screen) had to use Task Manager to shut the game down, This was REPORTED.

Same 100%!
When I exit the game... the "WorldOfWarships64.exe" is still there... I have to close it with task manager!!!
Really annoying!

• Cool 3

Players
62 posts
21,039 battles
18 minutes ago, Woodchip17 said:

me2  - and that's new

• Cool 1

Players
59 posts
6,516 battles

Sent commander to reserve, and sold the ship.  Bought a new ship of same nation, commander unavailable, need to recruit new comander. Cant access reserve

Players
59 posts
6,516 battles
30 minutes ago, shudragon said:

Same 100%!
When I exit the game... the "WorldOfWarships64.exe" is still there... I have to close it with task manager!!!
Really annoying!

Read this went into task manager.  Reserve now working

• Cool 1

[POP]
Beta Tester
153 posts
8,252 battles
1 hour ago, shudragon said:

Same 100%!
Really annoying!

Me3

So WG, hotfix time maybe?

• Cool 1

[POP]
Beta Tester
153 posts
8,252 battles

To me it seems like the patch made alt-tabbing worse. I mean it still works but the delay in going from game to desktop (and vice versa) is longer and screen stays black longer. Using fullscreen, not windowed fullscreen because I don't want the game to heat up my room while I idle in port.

• Cool 2

[F43N]
Players
1 post
2,888 battles

After the last update the game crashes on exit. If I exit the game and click "yes" it crashes and Alt-TAB takes forever to switch.

[ADC_1]
Alpha Tester
27 posts
12,812 battles

Alt tabbing is much worse.

WOWS on closing as already said crashed the exe, never closing it. Only way to "fix" is using task manager and force closing it.
Tried diffent PC and configs... on other system works... (still SLOW alt tab!), on some (like mine) crashes!
Please fix

• Cool 1

[PV]
Players
25 posts
8,519 battles

Game is turn-based after the 0.8.9 'up'date. Breaks of a few seconds are now common - not really healthy for my fleet.
I have a modern quadcore Intel with 12GB RAM. Very moderate graphics selected. Do I need a HPC cluster to play this game?
@devels, could you just *once* try not to import more bugs than new features? Would you consider taking care of the endless
buglist you already have before shoving more and more of what you consider features into a once great game?

[NED]
Players
26 posts
12,208 battles
4 hours ago, MixuS said:

To me it seems like the patch made alt-tabbing worse. I mean it still works but the delay in going from game to desktop (and vice versa) is longer and screen stays black longer. Using fullscreen, not windowed fullscreen because I don't want the game to heat up my room while I idle in port.

same here ALT TAB definately slower

Players
3,289 posts
15,267 battles
8 hours ago, SaltyLord said:

HAlloween 2018 containers?

Did i just got timewarped?

Well, i've heard of THREAD necro........ but CONTAINER necro?   :Smile_unsure:

• Funny 2