You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Thundercracker_3

Stat padding

55 comments in this topic

Players
189 posts
2,284 battles

Ok, so I feel at this stage that I qualify as an "advanced beginner". I've got the basic skills down, I feel. I'm not bad. I get the odd kraken, dreadnought etc. 

But, I'm starting to pay closer attention to my stats. I'm slightly above 45% W/L, which I'm not happy with, as I don't think it really reflects where I'm at right now.

No excuses here, but I think I frequently get saddled with Potato teams. The matchmaker just doesn't seem to like me very much. It happens so often that I feel compelled to remark on chat when I actually seem to land among a good team. You know, a team where the DDs don't die immediately, or where you look through the binoculars for 30 seconds or so, and when you look again, half your team's on its way back to port.

I've ground out to T8 (Richelieu). Could have been T9, but I chose to invest some credits etc into that ship, and I don't have enough left to grind further at this point.

I've looked at my stat charts. Everything other than W/L is steadily climbing. W/L was climbing until recently, when I had a bad run, and it's taken a slight dip.

Question is: how to I get my stats up? ATM, I'm focusing on lower tier play, which seems to help. Not quite so dangerous. 

But, I'm wondering; does anybody have any useful tips, tricks etc to assist with stat padding?

• Cool 2

[EST]
[EST]
Players
1,093 posts
22,915 battles
6 minutes ago, Thundercracker_3 said:

or where you look through the binoculars for 30 seconds or so

What on earth do you expect to see that you look for so long? Better look minimap.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 2

Community Contributor, Beta Tester
415 posts
20,084 battles

You shouldnt be focusing on "statpadding" in the first place.
But one thing you can do is to start playing in divisions with others, preferably on comms like TS or Discord.
Hell, even the in-game div voice chat is not half bad.
If you find yourself 1 or 2 nice tindermatches that you can div with, you will learn how to play faster.
And ofc, having a div will also make it easier to get them wins.
Replacing 2 random players with some one you are on coms with really helps.

And as Profilus said above, 30sec spent in bino view is way too long fyi :P

• Cool 5

[-TPF-]
Players
2,804 posts
12,311 battles
4 minutes ago, Thundercracker_3 said:

But, I'm wondering; does anybody have any useful tips, tricks etc to assist with stat padding?

Go and grind a destroyer line (or two, or three, or four). If they are that important, they need to be played by someone good. Are you that person? 

• Cool 2

Players
189 posts
2,284 battles
6 minutes ago, Profilus said:

What on earth do you expect to see that you look for so long? Better look minimap.

I was exaggerating. I don't really do that unless I'm certain nothing is anywhere near me.

Edit; although, when I'm safe, I like looking at all those little towns and villages on the islands. Have you seen the level of detail? Trucks, cars, camp fires, everything. No people, though, which is a shame :cap_book:

Edited by Thundercracker_3
Non ninja editing
  • Cool 3

Players
189 posts
2,284 battles
2 minutes ago, CLyDeThaMonKeY said:

You shouldnt be focusing on "statpadding" in the first place.

I'm not obsessing over it, just looking for a nice buff. 

Players
189 posts
2,284 battles
1 minute ago, TuckerLT said:

maybe you have enough coal for Smolensk? if yes, your problem is solved.

No, but I'm grinding for a Thunderer. Got somewhere in the region of 78,000 coal. Should have enuff by Christmas lol.

Players
189 posts
2,284 battles
3 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

Go and grind a destroyer line (or two, or three, or four). If they are that important, they need to be played by someone good. Are you that person? 

Listen, I'm game for anything. I find DDs extremely tough. If DDs are the way to go, I'll go there.

Beta Tester
2,690 posts
6,913 battles
5 minutes ago, Thundercracker_3 said:

If DDs are the way to go, I'll go there

Look no further than the T2 V-25 :Smile_hiding:

• Cool 1

[LEEUW]
Players
1,539 posts
9,699 battles
16 minutes ago, Thundercracker_3 said:

how to I get my stats up?

1. Play ships that are excellent pr farmers for a higher pr. (Sims, most low tier ships, most old ships, freemiums most people suck in like Salem). 

2. Play ships that can carry for a higher winrate. (Belfast, kamikaze, enterprise, Stalingrad, any ship you're good in). 

3. Play really low tier to club seals and increase your winrate. 

4. Play in a div with good players to get carried to a higher winrate. 

5. Git gud. 

• Cool 3

Community Contributor, Beta Tester
415 posts
20,084 battles
6 minutes ago, Thundercracker_3 said:

Listen, I'm game for anything. I find DDs extremely tough. If DDs are the way to go, I'll go there.

Learning DDs can take a while depending on what nation you go up just so you know.
But yes, in general playing DDs can control a match more than other classes imo, some might bring up CVs, but CVs cant cap, so...

Personally think that the USN DD line is the best line to learn since its a really good allrounder with good guns and decent torps. (Long range torps come to play at T7 Mahan)

Players
189 posts
2,284 battles
3 minutes ago, GarrusBrutus said:

1. Play ships that are excellent pr farmers for a higher pr. (Sims, most low tier ships, most old ships, freemiums most people suck in like Salem). 

2. Play ships that can carry for a higher winrate. (Belfast, kamikaze, enterprise, Stalingrad, any ship you're good in). 

5. Git gud. 

2 minutes ago, CLyDeThaMonKeY said:

Learning DDs can take a while depending on what nation you go up just so you know.
But yes, in general playing DDs can control a match more than other classes imo, some might bring up CVs, but CVs cant cap, so...

Personally think that the USN DD line is the best line to learn since its a really good allrounder with good guns and decent torps. (Long range torps come to play at T7 Mahan)

Good stuff - will try this out

[CATS]
Players
21,661 posts
13,042 battles

With that amount of games, "bad luck" costs you 2 to 3 points of WR, nothing more. And then you were REALLY unlucky, which I doubt.

Focus on Tier V and VI. Someone with you experience should not learn much in the lower Tiers. Learn the maps, learn where it is dangerous and adapt.

Familiarize yourself with you favourite ship, play at least one, better two additional classes to learn a different perspective.

• Cool 2

Players
189 posts
2,284 battles
6 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

With that amount of games, "bad luck" costs you 2 to 3 points of WR, nothing more. And then you were REALLY unlucky, which I doubt.

Focus on Tier V and VI. Someone with you experience should not learn much in the lower Tiers. Learn the maps, learn where it is dangerous and adapt.

Familiarize yourself with you favourite ship, play at least one, better two additional classes to learn a different perspective.

Thanks, dude. I do like my Warspite, so a few more games in her couldn't hurt.

[NWP]
Players
1,011 posts
7,858 battles
54 minutes ago, Thundercracker_3 said:

Question is: how to I get my stats up?

Hello there,

At this level you should not care about your stats. Well, it sounds strange but...you shouldn't.

What you should care about is how good your game is. If you aim at fixing your game (forum colloquial GIT GUD) your stats will follow.

Use your stats as a monitor to check yourself. e.g. X ships has average damage Y%. What is your average damage on that ship? Lower? Hmmm...you are not dealing enough damage. Work on that aspect then. 

Here are some pointers (in random order)

Best way to improve is to post your battle replays on the forum and ask for feedback. Trust me you will get a lot of it. And here comes the hard part. You have to filter out the garbage feedback. Pay attention to who is giving you advice. 

Watch replays of your battles. Try to identify your mistakes. Every time you say "oops I shouldn't have done that" or "oh my I should have done so and so" you just earned a Git Gud Token.

Watch replays posted by forumites. Read the feedback they got.

DON'T RUSH THE TIERS

SPEND TIME TO LEARN THE GAME MECHANICS

Play all classes.

A good player is not the one that aims well (we all learn how to aim eventually) is the one that makes the correct tactical decisions in the game. 

And as a last piece of advice don't sniff glue or eat crayons. THINK

Regards

Saltface

• Cool 5
  • Funny 1

[BBMM]
Players
4,593 posts
5,489 battles
34 minutes ago, Thundercracker_3 said:

Thanks, dude. I do like my Warspite, so a few more games in her couldn't hurt.

Warspite is really good. I'll get her when on X-mas sale, so far I kept the Queen Elizabeth - with a perma-camo.

But...

If you really want to pad stats - get a T4 cruiser and play it until you have a 19pt captain. Kuma is good... with IFHE...

Buy a 10-pointer from the Arsenal (or whatever they call it now) and stick it on Kuma or a Premium that you like.

That will grind faster and also give you credits. A 10-pointer at T4 is quite good... Hmmm.... 

T4 gets +/-1 MM, so you only meet T3 and T5. Maybe play CV if you want to be really harvesting salt... (I suggest Hosho...).

If you go T5, you'll get +2/-1. Means sometimes you get T7. 

And there you'll meet a-holes like me with a Hood and a 19pt captain... no good.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Players
2,514 posts
1 hour ago, Thundercracker_3 said:

Ok, so I feel at this stage that I qualify as an "advanced beginner". I've got the basic skills down, I feel. I'm not bad. I get the odd kraken, dreadnought etc. 

But, I'm starting to pay closer attention to my stats. I'm slightly above 45% W/L, which I'm not happy with, as I don't think it really reflects where I'm at right now.

No excuses here, but I think I frequently get saddled with Potato teams. The matchmaker just doesn't seem to like me very much. It happens so often that I feel compelled to remark on chat when I actually seem to land among a good team. You know, a team where the DDs don't die immediately, or where you look through the binoculars for 30 seconds or so, and when you look again, half your team's on its way back to port.

I've ground out to T8 (Richelieu). Could have been T9, but I chose to invest some credits etc into that ship, and I don't have enough left to grind further at this point.

I've looked at my stat charts. Everything other than W/L is steadily climbing. W/L was climbing until recently, when I had a bad run, and it's taken a slight dip.

Question is: how to I get my stats up? ATM, I'm focusing on lower tier play, which seems to help. Not quite so dangerous. 

I'm listening, I need a quick crash course.................... or to pay someone who is good at this game lol to boost my stats.

Maybe you could redline camp and turn the chat off, I don't know:Smile_teethhappy:

Players
2,514 posts
3 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

Warspite is really good. I'll get her when on X-mas sale, so far I kept the Queen Elizabeth - with a perma-camo.

But...

If you really want to pad stats - get a T4 cruiser and play it until you have a 19pt captain. Kuma is good... with IFHE...

Buy a 10-pointer from the Arsenal (or whatever they call it now) and stick it on Kuma or a Premium that you like.

That will grind faster and also give you credits. A 10-pointer at T4 is quite good... Hmmm.... 

T4 gets +/-1 MM, so you only meet T3 and T5. Maybe play CV if you want to be really harvesting salt... (I suggest Hosho...).

If you go T5, you'll get +2/-1. Means sometimes you get T7. 

And there you'll meet a-holes like me with a Hood and a 19pt captain... no good.

Hmm noted

Players
189 posts
2,284 battles
7 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

I got a Hood, as you know, with an 18pt Bert Dunkirk! Heh. Good times.

[BBMM]
Players
4,593 posts
5,489 battles
1 minute ago, Thundercracker_3 said:

I got a Hood, as you know, with an 18pt Bert Dunkirk! Heh. Good times.

I love my Hood.... most played ship... 50% more than the nex most-played ship (Arizona). :Smile_playing:

Now learning CV tricks... I have all of the US line, almost have all RN... grinding the IJN... and have Ark Royal.

Which is somewhat of a struggle to do really well in but almost impossible to FF-up. 

[NWP]
Players
7,540 posts
8,134 battles
1 hour ago, TuckerLT said:

maybe you have enough coal for Smolensk? if yes, your problem is solved.

Smolensk is not that great at winning games tho. It lacks gimmicks which allows it to specifically hurt other ships that can carry games, especially DDs.

about "statpadding":

The harder it is, to do well in a ship, the more PR you can farm with it. Easy to play ships are hard to get a high PR, that includes basicly all BBs, but also strong Premiums like Steel ships (Bourgogne/Stalingrad). And fairly new ships aswell, since they lack the amount of players needed to get a meaningful average value. That is mostly down to good players playing new ships first.

Usually the best class to get both good PR and WR: DDs, but they are also one of the hardest to play. Cruisers can yield outstanding PR, but struggle more to influence your WR. Ofc when you start at 45%, you should increase that with any ship you will play, as long as you play it well.

Players
580 posts
4,853 battles
5 hours ago, GarrusBrutus said:

5. Git gud. 

inb4 flamed for this but I'm better in the Ed than the Belfast....wut