ApothecaryTerry

Dunkerque - Bots go wild

6 comments in this topic

Players
6 posts
5,280 battles

I've been playing scenarios a lot lately, to regain some credits, and discovered that every time I take my Dunkerque out it just gets focused to a level that is ridiculous. Anyone else noticed this? I just tried sitting right at the back in Aegis (this week's scenario) and literally every bot in range would stop anything they did and focus me if I got spotted. Switched to Fuso, seemed normal, Budy, again no issue, Dunk again...not a single hp point lost by my team before I died, even with 4 of them in front of me (and a cruiser broadsiding an Ishi).

I don't believe the AI specifically is designed to screw over Dunks of course, just wondering if anyone else has found that it seems unfairly targeted? Perhaps something in the algorithms with the stats of the ship just mean bots see it as a primary target. Either that or over the last week I've got really insanely unlucky with that ship and lucky with all my others...probably 50 battles of which 10 or so in the Dunk though and it's been consistent, IIRC I've only died 2-3 times in other ships and only survived 1 Dunk battle.

Attached screenshots from my last 4 battles plus a 5th to show they really are just the last 4 and not cherry-picked. Fuso, Budy and De Grasse combined potential damage isn't a whole lot more than what the Dunk took in 1 fight. Dunk just came out of another battle with 420k potential damage having sat bow-in at the back and died from the 1st group burning the heck out of me. It's a fun ship but I think it's getting mothballed if this keeps up...

Spoiler

shot-19.10.14_20.48.53-0373.jpg

Spoiler

shot-19.10.14_20.48.43-0197.jpg

Spoiler

shot-19.10.14_20.48.32-0920.jpg

Spoiler

shot-19.10.14_20.48.12-0927.jpg

Spoiler

shot-19.10.14_20.50.13-0384.jpg

• Funny 1

[CATS]
Players
21,751 posts
13,052 battles

No.

The Bots on Aegis tend to focus the closest visible ship.

If everyone else is in smoke in the beginning, the Dunk stands out. Since the other BB are slower, you are probably closer to the enemy.

Players
6 posts
5,280 battles

That's just the thing- I've tried making a point of sitting at the back and watched other BBs sail unharmed into the smokescreen while firing. Also never had this issue in the Normandie which is equally fast, or the Izmail/Friedrich which aren't far off, plus all of those tend to show much more broadside.

I have a suspicion that the Dunk having a lower hp pool and worse armour may be drawing their fire, since cruisers generally aren't spotted of course. That said neither the hp nor armour is hugely worse than the average for the tier. Admittedly it's hard to test when most teams seem to sail south at the start which means the bots can't shoot them (and they can't shoot back which is always helpful).

Perhaps it's just a combination of spotting, timing, ship stats and some crazy luck, I just find it really odd that it's so specific to this one ship- if I just kept dying early in general it'd be L2P but I rarely do.

I'm going to take it out one more time, sit at the back, fire last and make sure even a bot couldn't think I'm the best target without being on crack. If that doesn't work then mothball it is I guess, got other ships but would still be a shame.

[CATS]
Players
21,751 posts
13,052 battles
36 minutes ago, ApothecaryTerry said:

That's just the thing- I've tried making a point of sitting at the back and watched other BBs sail unharmed into the smokescreen while firing. Also never had this issue in the Normandie which is equally fast, or the Izmail/Friedrich which aren't far off, plus all of those tend to show much more broadside.

I have a suspicion that the Dunk having a lower hp pool and worse armour may be drawing their fire, since cruisers generally aren't spotted of course. That said neither the hp nor armour is hugely worse than the average for the tier. Admittedly it's hard to test when most teams seem to sail south at the start which means the bots can't shoot them (and they can't shoot back which is always helpful).

Perhaps it's just a combination of spotting, timing, ship stats and some crazy luck, I just find it really odd that it's so specific to this one ship- if I just kept dying early in general it'd be L2P but I rarely do.

I'm going to take it out one more time, sit at the back, fire last and make sure even a bot couldn't think I'm the best target without being on crack. If that doesn't work then mothball it is I guess, got other ships but would still be a shame.

The HP pool could be a reason. Bots target lower HP ships.

Players
6 posts
5,280 battles

I tried going full window-licker and sat miles back, making sure that I was never the closest spotted and got the potential damage down to 500k, so similar to the 1st screenshot numbers, played in a Fuso. The damage done obviously went down with it though, to 130k which is pretty bad for an Aegis run without dying. Dispersion RNG will affect that so perhaps more is doable but it's easy enough to consistently pump out 200k+ in basically any other BB/CA/CL in that scenario so it doesn't really seem worth the sacrifice.

I'll give it a go in the other T6 scenarios when they come up, the smaller spawn groups in those may make it a little more comfortable. I really use scenarios for credits and captain training, I've got De Grasse but being able to train my French BB cap in a ship that it's useful in would be nice. Also Dunk is pretty fun, especially since I've only reached Lyon in the tree so it's the only bit of full frontal Frenchness I've got for now.

Players
208 posts
1,359 battles

I won this ship lately with the anniversary grind and it seems to be a bit on the weak side sadly so maybe the fact that most shells that hit it do a lot of damage and it's apparently incapable of deflecting much that hits off it just adds to that feeling which is one I would also share. I didn't really want a BB but I was happy that I got the Dunqo since I like how it looks, it has excellent speed but most of all what I liked about it was it had all it's main armament up front which seems like a big advantage to never have to go broadside or over angle your sides.

On paper it seemed that, combined with it's generous shell velocities, all this ship needs to keep enemy ships at close to full shell distance, point the ship at them, angled ever so slightly just to make the armor do it's thing, and empty those forward located main gun salvos at the targets while your ship offers only a small target, bow facing and theoretically will be both hard to hit and super bouncy with lots of non pens and ricochets... but then the reality is that while yes it's a smaller target to hit and yes it can shoot all it's main batteries while pointing at a target, everything else is a big fat no.

I put the 10 point captain in my Aigle DD instead since I would much prefer to use that ship and find it much more effective especially with it's combination of speed, camo, smokes, fast reloading high fire potential HE shells and hard hitting torps but what that means is the captain has the camo skill and so when I feel like a battle with the Dunq, it's also going to have an improved camo rating over it's really bad base camo which is the reason imo that this ship seems to get plenty of focus by bots or even real players... it's simply spotted first lol and so by reducing it's detection range with better camo(in fact just slap some camo paint on there too) you will at least be spotted later, perhaps another BB teammate will get spotted first instead and thus your focused less.

This ship is more like a really large sized heavy cruiser though which I guess is historically accurate as this was considered a battle cruiser and not a battleship, designed to combat a particular type of German cruiser, never to actually fight anything of bigger gun caliber than that German cruiser. So having high speed to intercept and fast respond to the German threat was a requirement along with having to conform to within certain treaty rules in regards to her weight which would have restricted here armor potential in any case. So It never had much armor in real life, certainly wasn't designed to combat big caliber ships like a true BB and this is the case in the game and so sadly having that really nice feature of being able to point your bow at an enemy ship, offer only a small target and theoretically should be really hard to pen, it's actually not and takes a beating pretty badly. Plus being tier6, it faces plenty of big caliber higher tier guns that comfortably overmatched that bow which one would think should deflect a lot of incoming shells.