Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
CptBarney

Miss Perth - How to play.

64 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Players
5,002 posts
245 battles

Hello, smoll forum dwellers.

 

As my first topic on this forum, i would like to enquire as to how to play miss perth and what captain builds you recommend?

 

Im also interested in how she compares to other cruisers of her tier and how well she fares both bottom and top tier.

 

And how best to use her modules (just seen that she has creeping smoke).

 

 

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.b0a4ab9417fdb3d8c7ba9c4a29a0bb02.png

 

 

Here is the current build so far, im not sure what to put for the last 10 points seeing as she has HE.

 

 

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.e5306218f7dedf12b867c3fe7fbc7c86.png

 

 

Thanks to those who do reply and with great detail.

 

And keep sillies and funnies to a minimum please if possible.

 

Wish you all well.

 

'w'

 

EDIT: Replays! 'w'

 

20191015_082052_PUSC506-Perth-1942_17_NA_fault_line.wowsreplay

 

20191015_083225_PUSC506-Perth-1942_17_NA_fault_line.wowsreplay

 

20191015_080607_PUSC506-Perth-1942_52_Britain.wowsreplay

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CAIN]
Players
3,677 posts
14,471 battles

Ditch EM and take AR, cause her playstyle allows you to take EM later. Either go IFHE or CE. 

The former gives you more direct damage, while the latter keeps you alive when your smoke is on cooldown. 

 

Buy smoke upgrade and spotter plane upgrade, she benefits from it.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BYOB]
Players
3,944 posts
16,717 battles

For the 4th skill you should go for concealment, you are too squishy to ignore the danger of being deleted when spotted. The 14p skill should be IFHE.

The spotter and smoke upgrades are a must, not an option. And never ever use the fighter plane. Also, take the steering upgrade, acceleration doesn't work well with smoke.

 

The play style is simple, you follow DDs to the cap, when enemy DDs get spotted you pop smoke and creep around shooting them. Then you switch to BBs and if the opportunity arises cruisers.

Always remember that the 2x4 torp launchers are not for show, the single shot option allows you to delete campers.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles
6 minutes ago, Jethro_Grey said:

Ditch EM and take AR,

eh... 25.7s base traverse is quite on the slow side, so while yes you can use the creeping smoke to "dakka in peace" I wouldnt say EM is a bad pick either.

 

7 minutes ago, Jethro_Grey said:

Either go IFHE or CE.

ideally both - Perth's a ship that really benefits from having both, so if you can you may want to throw some elite XP at the captain to get him to 14pts.

 

 

As for general playstyle... pretty good at close cap support, you dont have huge amounts of firepower but your creeping smoke allows you to lend your DDs a hand in pretty decent safety. Otherwise, standard light cruiser stuff really - use terrain to harass the enemy but try to avoid straight up fights. Oh, and be a bit conservative with your smokes - the cooldown only starts when the consumable runs out, which means there's a very long delay between pressing the button and being able to do so again. Make them count.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
5,002 posts
245 battles

Ok, Reading those who have posted so far has been very useful as @Tyrendian89 said i pick EM mainly due to not being a fan of slow turret traverses on light cruisers (i know but shes my only tier 6 prem and i just got her from the event).

 

Either way gud stuff, will go for CE first then IFHE.

 

Concerned about CV's but then fighters don't stop the initial strike so i guess spotter plane would be useful (especially against island huggers like the smoll USN Cruiser lines).

 

Also will learn to manage the smoke to time it right.

 

Hope her rudder shift is gud enough for kiting but ill guess ill learn either way.

 

Thanks!

 

'w'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[DAVY]
Players
2,204 posts
11,559 battles

one of my favourite T6's, i'd go CE before IFHE any day, spotter plane is useful when you're in smoke, i don't mind the turret traverse too much, i think i went for consumable reload

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[P-W-C]
Players
6,244 posts
30,343 battles
5 minutes ago, CptBarney said:

Ok, Reading those who have posted so far has been very useful as @Tyrendian89 said i pick EM mainly due to not being a fan of slow turret traverses on light cruisers (i know but shes my only tier 6 prem and i just got her from the event).

 

Either way gud stuff, will go for CE first then IFHE.

 

Concerned about CV's but then fighters don't stop the initial strike so i guess spotter plane would be useful (especially against island huggers like the smoll USN Cruiser lines).

 

Also will learn to manage the smoke to time it right.

 

Hope her rudder shift is gud enough for kiting but ill guess ill learn either way.

 

Thanks!

 

'w'

The fighter didn't let long enough plus you can't extend the duration. In the past the fighter lasted pretty long. The CV will eventually kill you even with the fighter up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
5,002 posts
245 battles
Just now, MacArthur92 said:

The fighter didn't let long enough plus you can't extend the duration. In the past the fighter lasted pretty long. The CV will eventually kill you even with the fighter up. 

True, didn't expect it to have a spotter plane doe so thats a nice surprise.

 

But hey im glad i got her anyways im not sure which are the worst prems at tier 6 anyways. Hmm should of asked in my opening post if she is worthwhile for operations of anykind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-TPF-]
Players
2,822 posts
12,396 battles
1 minute ago, CptBarney said:

Hmm should of asked in my opening post if she is worthwhile for operations of anykind.

Leander and Huang He are murderous in Operations, so yes. So many broadside cruisers.... 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[P-W-C]
Players
6,244 posts
30,343 battles
1 minute ago, CptBarney said:

True, didn't expect it to have a spotter plane doe so thats a nice surprise.

 

But hey im glad i got her anyways im not sure which are the worst prems at tier 6 anyways. Hmm should of asked in my opening post if she is worthwhile for operations of anykind.

Ofc man she's good at her tier. Better than HuangHe. Her HE sets lots of fires even with IFHE. Prems that are not worthy ? Anshan, Eitel (I hate it so much), Makarov. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BYOB]
Players
3,944 posts
16,717 battles
12 minutes ago, CptBarney said:

Concerned about CV's

I was too. Was:

 

Spoiler

ToMZGJV.jpg

pl1jZ9y.jpg

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
6,361 posts
7,550 battles
1 minute ago, MacArthur92 said:

Anshan

Anshan's decent though.

16 minutes ago, CptBarney said:

Concerned about CV's but then fighters don't stop the initial strike so i guess spotter plane would be useful (especially against island huggers like the smoll USN Cruiser lines).

best defense is to not bother and if you get focused, pop smoke. At least makes it a bit harder when they have to hit a moving smoke cloud.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
5,002 posts
245 battles
1 minute ago, Aragathor said:

I was too. Was:

 

  Reveal hidden contents

ToMZGJV.jpg

pl1jZ9y.jpg

 

Dam thats a nice game espcially with two CV's in play. Hmm starting to see that she might be a solid light cruiser afterall.

 

(Had some peeps in gen chat in-game saying she is ok or leander being better, but i wasn't that interested in comparisons with her at that time more or less how the ship plays.).

 

Either way i have good idea now, Ill play her in the morning tomorrow as that will be easier for me.

 

Kinda miffed that i didn't get de grasse but...i can't really complain. :cap_happy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SHAD]
Players
1,171 posts

Great ship.

you could make a case for IFHE first but her concealment with CE is a powerful weapon.

As others have said, the smoke upgrade is well worth it on this ship

 

At beginning of match follow a destroyer in. When DD is spotted activate smoke and drop down to 1/4.  If you lose spotting you can send a plane up or activate hydro. 

Kill the DD if spotted or melt your nearest battleship.

watch for torps and if a battleship charges you stop firing and let him have all of your single launch at 2km!

Ensure you have enough distance or islands to enable you to with draw from smoke.

When smoke is on cool down  you could do a little long range HE spam. I usually reposition I spotted though.

 

The spotter comes into its own when a battleship is trying to sneak up on you. I wouldn’t use it for destroyers.

 

Killing destroyers is more important than killing battleships so focus on those.

 

you have light armour so avoid brawling where possible.

 

Enjoy!

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles
12 minutes ago, CptBarney said:

Either way i have good idea now, Ill play her in the morning tomorrow as that will be easier for me.

kind of the usual forum thing for someone that's willing to learn, but here goes regardless... :Smile_teethhappy:

 

If you want, you can always post a replay or two (probably after you've played her a few times to get an initial feeling yourself) and get some feedback :Smile_honoring:

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
5,002 posts
245 battles
4 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

kind of the usual forum thing for someone that's willing to learn, but here goes regardless... :Smile_teethhappy:

 

If you want, you can always post a replay or two (probably after you've played her a few times to get an initial feeling yourself) and get some feedback :Smile_honoring:

Honestly, didnt think of this lol.

 

Yeahh ill just post the first games ill have with her tommorrows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BYOB]
Players
3,944 posts
16,717 battles

Here's something I reminded myself of about playing the Perth.

You always have to play the long game with this ship, be very conservative and never charge in unless you are 100% sure you will go away mostly unscathed. You can't trade HP like the Leander.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
5,002 posts
245 battles
1 minute ago, Aragathor said:

Here's something I reminded myself of about playing the Perth.

You always have to play the long game with this ship, be very conservative and never charge in unless you are 100% sure you will go away mostly unscathed. You can't trade HP like the Leander.

Would a french style gameplay work? Usually they work best past mid game (from my experience unless im playing them wrong lol).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[DC_DK]
Players
2,863 posts
29,380 battles
4 minutes ago, CptBarney said:

Would a french style gameplay work? Usually they work best past mid game (from my experience unless im playing them wrong lol).

You don't have range for the French style. You can be fairly aggressive when your smoke is up and very cautious normal cruiser play in between. Plan your smoke so you can make it to cover when it runs out 

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BYOB]
Players
3,944 posts
16,717 battles
7 minutes ago, CptBarney said:

Would a french style gameplay work? Usually they work best past mid game (from my experience unless im playing them wrong lol).

The French T6s (and the T5) have one thing Perth doesn't have, speed. With speed boost the French can do hit run very well. They also have superior range.

Perth on the other hand can become a very angry moving cloud. But when the smoke runs out you can't be in the open and spotted. So the best way is to support the DDs in cap and hang back. Let someone else tank the damage.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
5,002 posts
245 battles
2 minutes ago, hgbn_dk said:

You don't have range for the French style. You can be fairly aggressive when your smoke is up and very cautious normal cruiser play in between. Plan your smoke so you can make it to cover when it runs out 

Ahh ok makes sense.

 

Thank you.

 

EDIT:

 

Ahh ok i see, luckily i've played the royal navy line up to fiji so far, so that should help somewhat. But hey at least this ship will get me some creds and practice with that creeping smoke before the italians arrive.

1 minute ago, Aragathor said:

The French T6s (and the T5) have one thing Perth doesn't have, speed. With speed boost the French can do hit run very well. They also have superior range.

Perth on the other hand can become a very angry moving cloud. But when the smoke runs out you can't be in the open and spotted. So the best way is to support the DDs in cap and hang back. Let someone else tank the damage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[P-W-C]
Players
6,244 posts
30,343 battles
2 hours ago, Cagliostro_chan said:

Anshan's decent though.

Meh, nothing special. Some another version of Fushun that isn't good too. T-61 beats it by spot, torps and hydro. Playable but doesn't bring anything to the table. 

  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[P-W-C]
Players
6,244 posts
30,343 battles
2 hours ago, hgbn_dk said:

shot-19_10.14_19_30.28-0441.thumb.jpg.c69370d4662bedde39a283a0f0b7f09a.jpgshot-19_10.14_19_30.54-0379.thumb.jpg.17c9c805538eca48a5b70b9f0c940027.jpg

 

 

This is my build.. Same commander is used on my Haida

Hmm but why BFT? Even on Haida? Better to get AR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
6,361 posts
7,550 battles
2 minutes ago, MacArthur92 said:

Meh, nothing special. Some another version of Fushun that isn't good too. T-61 beats it by spot, torps and hydro. Playable but doesn't bring anything to the table. 

Compared to t-61, few T6 DDs bring anything to the table...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×