Sign in to follow this  
Hans_von_Mannschaft

Which ship from the armory to start out?

4 comments in this topic

Players
4 posts
1,356 battles

Heyho!

I was originally given a gamescom starter code with some doubloons and a Diana way back when. Also did a few rounds on the NA server (not sure, maybe 250 or so), so I get the basics. Out of interest, I got myself the Oleg as a crew trainer, as I'd heard that Svietlana and Bogatyr were very decent ships on their respective tiers and I wanted to push the captains of these two by having two Rashan trainers for them.

Then I pretty much quit for a loooong stretch, just picking up a Tachibana Lima, don't ask me when or how.

Now, I am much more into it, and the buddy that gave me that starter code back in time suggested a few lines to go up. Not sure about which, but I find the torpedo boats of the Japanese quite cool, and also the German destroyers with their assault torps, and I was told the Pan-Asian tier IV was very good, and so far, it has indeed been very good.

I found out you could get a few more crew trainers via the coal containers, and I am slowly approaching my first coal ship in the armory. As I do not yet wish to invest a lot of moolah, those will be the "premium" ships I will go for.

This is where my questions start: As I have a Diana and an Oleg, I am not really aiming for anything Russian right now. With the Tachi Lima, I have some sort of Nip trainer, and I recently got an Emden for watching a stream. However, tier IIs on their own are not really that hot as trainers, so I might want to augment my training fleet, but how? I find tier III VERY, VERY difficult, as there are often 2 to 3 carriers per team, and the coal boats are often at tier III.

1) Would it make sense to get the Yubari, as I have heard that she has okay AA and I actually want to go up a Jap line? Would she be okay as a trainer for both destroyer and cruiser captains (and my Myogi)?

2) Or should I first go for the Charleston, despite it being tier III and pretty much non-AA? I have not really played US ships that much yet, and I am told the tier IV destroyer is really cool, but that would be totally different to the Charleston.

3) The Campbeltown, I have basically ruled out already, as I am not too keen on Brit ships and she is another tier III that suffers from carriers. Am I wrong?

4) Should I really wait and save like mad for the Aigle? I have gone up to the Fusilier and enjoyed the battles in her a lot, but I do not want to play for coal forever and I do not want to go exclusively French.

And finally: 5) Why are there no German coal boats at all? Sure, I have the Emden, but that is a lot of stress to play and she will never produce an awful lot of XP down there. Also, she is not in the armory.

Players
5,976 posts
11,316 battles
1 hour ago, Hans_von_Mannschaft said:

Heyho!

I was originally given a gamescom starter code with some doubloons and a Diana way back when. Also did a few rounds on the NA server (not sure, maybe 250 or so), so I get the basics. Out of interest, I got myself the Oleg as a crew trainer, as I'd heard that Svietlana and Bogatyr were very decent ships on their respective tiers and I wanted to push the captains of these two by having two Rashan trainers for them.

Then I pretty much quit for a loooong stretch, just picking up a Tachibana Lima, don't ask me when or how.

Now, I am much more into it, and the buddy that gave me that starter code back in time suggested a few lines to go up. Not sure about which, but I find the torpedo boats of the Japanese quite cool, and also the German destroyers with their assault torps, and I was told the Pan-Asian tier IV was very good, and so far, it has indeed been very good.

I found out you could get a few more crew trainers via the coal containers, and I am slowly approaching my first coal ship in the armory. As I do not yet wish to invest a lot of moolah, those will be the "premium" ships I will go for.

This is where my questions start: As I have a Diana and an Oleg, I am not really aiming for anything Russian right now. With the Tachi Lima, I have some sort of Nip trainer, and I recently got an Emden for watching a stream. However, tier IIs on their own are not really that hot as trainers, so I might want to augment my training fleet, but how? I find tier III VERY, VERY difficult, as there are often 2 to 3 carriers per team, and the coal boats are often at tier III.

1) Would it make sense to get the Yubari, as I have heard that she has okay AA and I actually want to go up a Jap line? Would she be okay as a trainer for both destroyer and cruiser captains (and my Myogi)?

2) Or should I first go for the Charleston, despite it being tier III and pretty much non-AA? I have not really played US ships that much yet, and I am told the tier IV destroyer is really cool, but that would be totally different to the Charleston.

3) The Campbeltown, I have basically ruled out already, as I am not too keen on Brit ships and she is another tier III that suffers from carriers. Am I wrong?

4) Should I really wait and save like mad for the Aigle? I have gone up to the Fusilier and enjoyed the battles in her a lot, but I do not want to play for coal forever and I do not want to go exclusively French.

And finally: 5) Why are there no German coal boats at all? Sure, I have the Emden, but that is a lot of stress to play and she will never produce an awful lot of XP down there. Also, she is not in the armory.

In your case, first I would suggest you figure out what line(s) you want to progress in first before deciding what premium ship you want to get for your coal.

There are generally speaking 2 classes of coal ships, the low tier ones and the high tier ones.

I would suggest you keep saving up for at least a tier 5 or 6 one and skip the lower tier ones (the tier 5 being the Oktober, Russian BB at tier 5).

Tiers 6 and 7 are useful for farming, which can help you gain extra credits and also keep you interested in the game as it is a different way to experience the game.

Your stats seem like a reroll account (which is a compliment to you :Smile-_tongue:) and being a good player will definitely help out on the credit part.

When buying a new premium ship, I can advice you to always consider what you intend to do with this ship.

Tiers 5 and above have the advantage that you can earn your daily missions with them as well as well as other missions with which you can earn extra loot.

Don't get me wrong, low tiers are fun as heck but I barely ever play my low tier premiums anymore these days.

Once you start going into tier 8, I could recommend you to consider getting a tier 9 freemium for coal or FXP.

• Cool 1

Players
9,842 posts
11,540 battles
18 hours ago, Hans_von_Mannschaft said:

Heyho!

Personally I'd abstain from lowtier premiums as they are basically vanity items, good for occasional lols but "serious" exp or credit grinding... well... yes... no. And no lowtier ship have any AA worth mentioning, even old "AA little monster", Yubari was nerfed in that regard.

Aigle is solid FR premium destroyer, perfectly serviceable in both randoms and PvE Operations. And unlike other croissant destroyers, she carries smoke as "oh :etc_swear:" button.

If you want yourself a "Freemium" ship, from currency you can slowly accumulate over time and ship that isn't just for memes, earliest pick besides Aigle would be HMS Nelson for 375k Free Exp. 406mm at tier 7 are nothing to sneeze at and she's one heck of a ship in PvE Narai operation. Other than that... tier 9+ ships as (very) long term goal.

• Cool 3

Players
4 posts
1,356 battles

Arguably, I am a reroll. I did a few hundred battles in Beta and some 500 afterwards, but I have forgotten my credentials; not the password, but rather, the e-mail. I tried all my e-mail addresses I could think of, and none work. :Smile-angry:

Thanks for the feedback. I am still a very occasional player, so I shall not get anywhere near the Nelson even in the middle distance. Currently, I have around 33000 FXP, so no dice.

I have now set my heart on the T-22 and the Kirov, so I am currently trying to grind them to fully set-up status, while also training my captains. Needless to say, both are still at the very start, and I am still not convinced the Oktober will be the right choice to train my Kirov captain.

I actually had planned to ditch the V-170 after getting the T-22, but she is such a beast that I will keep her for now. Sadly, there is absolutely no German freebie ship to be had. None whatsoever. WG are probably banking on Germans being loaded and willing to fork out for premiums. Thank goodness I at least got the Emden, so eventually, the T-22 skipper might pull ahead of the V-170 one.

Accordingly, and as I have so far found the Fusilier very enjoyable, I might actually save up and get the Aigle, while slowly climbing the French destroyer line.

The Campbeltown is still a no-go, as she suffers from carriers and a lot of random factors that can prevent her from doing decent amounts of damage, the Yubari I have now excluded from further consideration as I am not continuing up any IJN tree, so that just leaves me with the Charleston in the mid-term, and eventually, the Oktober after all.

But yeah, no Germans. That is *****.

Edit: Turns out I got the Genova as my next premium. She was in the 4th bundle. Onwards and upwards, ey?

Next Edit: I have now taken things quite seriously, and have branched out from the armory, which means that not only did I get the Aigle in the meantime, but also the London from the recent event as well as the Hiei. What I find most amusing is WG desperately trying to sell me a ship for real cash, which has so far resulted in my having the chance to play the following, each for a few days: Warspite, Anshan, Dunkirk, Spee, Molotov, Gallant, Scharnhorst, Ashitaka, Z-39, Atago, Prinz Eugen, and Loyang. Especially the Atago helped me a lot towards securing the London. I also find it quite interesting that they slowly raised the bar from tier VI, via tier VII, and have now reached tier VIII. While it was good to have the Z, Spee, and Scharnhorst, the lack of any coal or free xp German ship is still glaringly obvious. I am now hoarding coal and will get the Thunderer next. :cap_haloween:

Sign in to follow this