You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
FrTed_Crilly

Coal ship help

36 comments in this topic

Players
5 posts
11,781 battles

Good day all

I have finally got to a point where I can spend some coal on one of the higher tier your ships. I am torn between the Thunderer, Jean Bart and Smolensk.

Being from the UK I'm slightly biased towards the Thunderer but the other ships look good too.

Would greatly appreciate your input if you could help

Many thanks

Father Ted

[THESO]
Beta Tester
1,214 posts
8,842 battles

You are a Cruiser main, very familiar with the Belfast, i would suggest go for the Smolensk. It can pull off ridiculouis stuff and rumour says it might be removed soon, joining the Musashi.

• Cool 4

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
3,358 posts
10 minutes ago, kfa said:

and rumour says it might be removed soon,

Rumours created by people who yell at every opportunity that the ship is overpowered, while Wargaming says it's fine.

There are a few posts by various Wargaming employees, as well as the same statements during recent streams, that there are currently no plans to remove the ship any time soon. They are also totally willing to nerf the ship if they find out that the yelling people were right.

Players
7,368 posts
9,168 battles
7 minutes ago, Egoleter said:

Rumours created by people who yell at every opportunity that the ship is overpowered, while Wargaming says it's fine.

There are a few posts by various Wargaming employees, as well as the same statements during recent streams, that there are currently no plans to remove the ship any time soon. They are also totally willing to nerf the ship if they find out that the yelling people were right.

Belfast, Kutuzov, Musashi and Missouri also were fine:cap_book:

• Cool 1

[BLOBS]
Beta Tester
5,161 posts
11,180 battles

Well JB is way more enjoyable than Richel... but more of a opertunity ship with the reload Booster since 15 Inch have a lots of trobble doing Damage to ships that actually pay atention.

Smollensk is a pretty silly easy to play ship unless your totally lacking Map Awarness or slide out of your smokes all the time or smoke while 5 BBs are Looking at you while your coming to a halt while you were spoted....

No clue on thunderer. What i have seen of her as a oponent ist just a more acurate firestarter and mid to Long range.

[H_FAN]
Players
2,222 posts
30,609 battles
3 minutes ago, Panocek said:

But they were cash/free XP ships, not coal ships, think I have seen comments along the line that the non-touch rule of premiums does not fit coal or res bureau ships

• Cool 1

Players
7,368 posts
9,168 battles
Just now, Gnirf said:

But they were cash ships, not coal ships, think I have seen comments along the line that the non-touch rule of premiums does not fit coal or res bureau ships

Neither of the "offending" Fremium ships were nerfed, simply removed, which applies to Missouri, Musashi and Kronshtadt.

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
3,358 posts
6 minutes ago, Panocek said:

Yes, and Wargaming never wanted to adjust them in the first place.

For the Smolensk we have several statements that they will make such adjustments if they condier them necessary, as they do not consider coal ships as real premiums.

No one can even cite a source for the rumour. The first ones posted even declared the removal of the ship with the release of the current 0.8.8 patch. Didn't happen. Rumours are not infos I'd trust any time soon (unless I spread them, then I'd trust them even less).

• Cool 1

Players
7,368 posts
9,168 battles
11 minutes ago, Egoleter said:

For the Smolensk we have several statements that they will make such adjustments if they condier them necessary, as they do not consider coal ships as real premiums.

And yet, we had already three Freemium ships unavailable for purchase for cash, at least not directly, released and then subsequently removed instead "just nerfed".

BTW, what happened to this gem of a principle?:cap_popcorn:

Przechwytywanie.png

https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/game-updates/the-horn-section/

JB, Salem, Black and Yoshino removal when

[CAIN]
Players
3,173 posts
12,226 battles

I suggest going for the Thunderer, it’s supposedly even stronger then Conqueror. 

Jean Bart is a fun ship too. 

• Cool 4

[SCRUB]
Players
3,361 posts
8,988 battles

Thunderer.

Bigger and more accurate guns than Conquerer, lacking the zombie heal.

Sounds good in my book.

• Cool 1

Players
1,505 posts
5,816 battles

Got all 3 - Jean Bart is the most "fun" to play, Smolensk gameplay is smoke and spam which I found to get pretty boring (if you like that sort of thing thats OK) and Thunderer has really great/accurate guns which reward heavily but not much else I found.

[SV]
Players
90 posts
6,631 battles
44 minutes ago, Egoleter said:

ehm they cant nerf it ? its a premium and they have said they will never change the stats of premiums. 

• Funny 1

[BLOBS]
Beta Tester
5,161 posts
11,180 battles
3 minutes ago, albin322 said:

ehm they cant nerf it ? its a premium and they have said they will never change the stats of premiums. 

Unless they Change gamemechanics like IFHE open water stealthfire or smoke firing Penaltys wich can drastically can efect how good a prem is without changing anything on the ship itself.

[SV]
Players
90 posts
6,631 battles
6 minutes ago, Spellfire40 said:

Unless they Change gamemechanics like IFHE open water stealthfire or smoke firing Penaltys wich can drastically can efect how good a prem is without changing anything on the ship itself.

indeed but do you really think they will do that for 1 ship ? 

[OGHF]
Players
265 posts
7,065 battles
47 minutes ago, albin322 said:

Coal ship, not sold for ££, so yes they can.

But it is a new RU ship, so they probably won't...

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
236 posts
4,776 battles
2 hours ago, FrTed_Crilly said:

I have finally got to a point where I can spend some coal on one of the higher tier your ships. I am torn between the Thunderer, Jean Bart and Smolensk.

Father Ted

CvYB8DhXgAAjNF6.jpg

But seriously now. Any of them is a great ship in their own right. The Thunderer has big accurate guns, the JB has a reload booster and great AA, the Smolensk has canc...erm, smoke and great rof. It all depends on what you like to play and which lines you have or want to explore to tier 10. 

• Cool 2

[BLOBS]
Beta Tester
5,161 posts
11,180 battles
1 hour ago, albin322 said:

indeed but do you really think they will do that for 1 ship ? 

Well more for screwing with classes. DDs and a few selected CA were most efected by open water Stealth fire nerf. Gremmy and Blyka are good example of greatly impacted prem DDs

The smokefire greatly efected MK and to a lesser extend UK CL.

Players
4,174 posts
9,260 battles
2 hours ago, Spellfire40 said:

Well more for screwing with classes. DDs and a few selected CA were most efected by open water Stealth fire nerf. Gremmy and Blyka are good example of greatly impacted prem DDs

The smokefire greatly efected MK and to a lesser extend UK CL.

What is MK?

Players
2,756 posts
8,175 battles
4 hours ago, IanH755 said:

Got all 3 - Jean Bart is the most "fun" to play, Smolensk gameplay is smoke and spam which I found to get pretty boring (if you like that sort of thing thats OK) and Thunderer has really great/accurate guns which reward heavily but not much else I found.

This ^^^

First coal ship then you simply can go wrong with the Jean. 

Smol 2nd as it's easy to spam HE in smoke and kill DD's.

Thunder good but still last as it's unforgiving if you cant aim and make use of 8 guns.  That and it's brittle and without zombie heal.  Still a good balanced ship.

Go with the Jean mate. 

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
11,296 posts
16,488 battles
19 minutes ago, NothingButTheRain said:

What is MK?

Mikhail Kutuzov.

• Cool 1

Players
1,422 posts
9,918 battles
7 hours ago, kfa said:

You are a Cruiser main, very familiar with the Belfast, i would suggest go for the Smolensk. It can pull off ridiculouis stuff and rumour says it might be removed soon, joining the Musashi.

I am a DD main but in the few battles I have had with Smolensk...

860795189_Firestarter.jpg.805ba3e22b7b608a71052f6711f43e79.jpg

[CR-S]
Players
541 posts
8 hours ago, Panocek said:

BTW, what happened to this gem of a principle?:cap_popcorn:

Przechwytywanie.png

generally a good point

JB - battleship

Salem - heavy cruiser

Black - destroyer

Yoshino is a "superheavy-"cruiser and has a very different play-style from Salem.

So each has its own niche. The problem with Mis and Mus was that both are heavy-hitting battleships, both at T9 and both for FreeXP; tho they have different play-styles.

Players
7,368 posts
9,168 battles
25 minutes ago, VIadoCro said:

generally a good point

JB - battleship

Salem - heavy cruiser

Black - destroyer

Yoshino is a "superheavy-"cruiser and has a very different play-style from Salem.

So each has its own niche. The problem with Mis and Mus was that both are heavy-hitting battleships, both at T9 and both for FreeXP; tho they have different play-styles.

There is already Georgia, as T9 battleship. Same with Yoshino and Smolensk as T10 "cruisers". Neustrashimy is in game too as DD. So again: