You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.
The_EURL_Guy

Viribus Unitis: the First Yugoslavian Battleship

42 comments in this topic

Players
180 posts
12,271 battles

So that ship is for who ? , Serbians ? , because I dont think that Craotian, Bosnian , Kosovarian?,Montenegrian ,or Slovenian would identyfy with Jugoslavia ... 

• Cool 2
  • Bad 9

[NMA]
Players
1,221 posts
18,495 battles
20 minutes ago, Wicket_Boomber said:

So that ship is for who ? , Serbians ? , because I dont think that Craotian, Bosnian , Kosovarian?,Montenegrian ,or Slovenian would identyfy with Jugoslavia ... 

It's for players not burdened by past. I'm Croat and I would like to see more ships that were designed and built in this parts of europe, no matter under which flag they sail(ed).

• Cool 20

[ADRIA]
Beta Tester
140 posts
6,049 battles
25 minutes ago, Wicket_Boomber said:

You can't just mold history the way it suits you or any other.

At that point in history, Yugoslav sentiment was stronk, it was the actual name of the ship.

It was before any controversies or antagonizms surfaced, and it represented the flagship of the state of slovenes, croats and serbs, which was the slavic Southern part of Austria hungary, without Kingdom of Serbia, that eventually played their cards so they could incorporate this new entity into itself and proclaim Yugoslavia in the end.

• Cool 2

[CAPT]
Players
494 posts
12,420 battles

This article slighted the Italians. While the British may have launched the all big gun ship the Dreadnaught first in 1906, the Americans authorized the South Carolina earlier (1905), and the whole concept of an all big gun battleship was first proposed by an Italian designer, Vittorio Cuniberti (Published in Jane's Fighting Ships in 1903).

[SECSF]
Players
94 posts
6,647 battles

Meh, at beginning I saw some nice pictures and was really looking forward for wallpaper and after such nice atmospheric pictures...bang Micheal Bay strikes with wanna be cool action etc. etc. 

• Funny 1

Players
1 post
1,656 battles

Ffs, it's an Austro-hungarian ship, it was a "Yugoslavian" ship for exactly 1 day, and that during a time where this state didn't even exist yet :p

• Cool 5
  • Boring 1

[N-V-C]
Players
15 posts
2,677 battles

I am fond of the ship design, but she is badly badly overtiered -- her stats put her on a par with Tier IV battleships.

HB

• Cool 2

WG Staff
7 posts
2,510 battles
1 hour ago, Silverdragon98 said:

Ffs, it's an Austro-hungarian ship, it was a "Yugoslavian" ship for exactly 1 day, and that during a time where this state didn't even exist yet :p

Well, it existed unofficially, and it was just a few days from existing officially. The ship was even named "Yugoslavia", so that counts in my book! :P

• Cool 4
  • Funny 2
  • Bad 3

Players
38 posts
10,462 battles

Its funny cause those 70mm dual purpose guns dont function in game. Leaving you with only 4 functional AA guns on the turrets.

No idea if this is a bug or an oversight but having those guns contribute to AA would move the AA from non existent to annoying pop guns

Players
160 posts
53 minutes ago, NoSoRetroJakko said:

Its funny cause those 70mm dual purpose guns dont function in game. Leaving you with only 4 functional AA guns on the turrets.

No idea if this is a bug or an oversight but having those guns contribute to AA would move the AA from non existent to annoying pop guns

Just wanted to ask the same. Those deck guns not just not functional but actually removed from the in game model for some reason!:Smile_amazed:

[T-SW]
Players
6 posts
5,444 battles

NEVER WAS YUGOSLAV !!!

The SMS Viribus Unitis was the Tegetthoff class battleship of the Imperial and Royal Navy.

SMS Viribus Unitis was the first member of the Tegetthoff class. For the first time in the world, this ship built three guns in an armored tower. It was a modern battleship of great firepower. The flagship of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

On May 23-24, 1915, he participated in the cannoning of Ancona.

On June 8, 1918, as the flagship of Miklós Horthy, he embarked on a convoy to break the sea lock in the Strait of Otranto. After the sinking of his sister ship Stephen SMS at dawn, the action was stopped.

The end of the war hit SMS Viribus Unitist in Pula. The ship had to be handed over to the Yugoslav National Council. Only those of Yugoslav descent remained on board. On the first night of October 31st / November 1918, Italian divers (Major Raffaele Rossetti and Lieutenant Raffaele Paolucci), who did not know that the ship was no longer the monarchy, placed a shaft on the bottom of the ship that exploded. The battleship tilted to the side and sank in 14 minutes. About 400 people died in the explosion.

The highly elaborate engraved 1:25 scale model of the Viribus Unitis ship is on display at the Heeresgeschichtliches Museum in Vienna. According to information for museum visitors, this model is the largest cross-sectional model in the world.

1920px-Ramberg _-_ Viribus_Unitis, _HGM, _2017-03-08.jpg

Viribus_Unitis_Modell_330-1220x274.jpg

S.M.S. Viribus Unitis, Breitseite feuernd korr-1220x824.jpg

• Cool 7
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 2

Players
1 post

The ship itself was the first Tegethoff ship in the Austro-Hungarian Navy.
When the Monarchy collapsed in 1918., Croats took the ship over and had it for harbored in city of Pula for a day before she was sunk by Italian torpedo boat.

Captain of the ship was a Croat named Janko Vuković Podkapelski (both during the Monarchy and newly formed State of Croats, Serbs and Slovenes just after the Great War).

It's Monarchy's ship and I suggest you put it under European tech tree and assign her a unique and her very own captain, (a Croat) Janko Vuković Podkapelski.

• Cool 1

[ADRIA]
Beta Tester
140 posts
6,049 battles
6 hours ago, Tibor_1964 said:

NEVER WAS YUGOSLAV !!!

The SMS Viribus Unitis was the Tegetthoff class battleship of the Imperial and Royal Navy.

SMS Viribus Unitis was the first member of the Tegetthoff class. For the first time in the world, this ship built three guns in an armored tower. It was a modern battleship of great firepower. The flagship of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

On May 23-24, 1915, he participated in the cannoning of Ancona.

On June 8, 1918, as the flagship of Miklós Horthy, he embarked on a convoy to break the sea lock in the Strait of Otranto. After the sinking of his sister ship Stephen SMS at dawn, the action was stopped.

The end of the war hit SMS Viribus Unitist in Pula. The ship had to be handed over to the Yugoslav National Council. Only those of Yugoslav descent remained on board. On the first night of October 31st / November 1918, Italian divers (Major Raffaele Rossetti and Lieutenant Raffaele Paolucci), who did not know that the ship was no longer the monarchy, placed a shaft on the bottom of the ship that exploded. The battleship tilted to the side and sank in 14 minutes. About 400 people died in the explosion.

The highly elaborate engraved 1:25 scale model of the Viribus Unitis ship is on display at the Heeresgeschichtliches Museum in Vienna. According to information for museum visitors, this model is the largest cross-sectional model in the world.

1920px-Ramberg _-_ Viribus_Unitis, _HGM, _2017-03-08.jpg

Viribus_Unitis_Modell_330-1220x274.jpg

S.M.S. Viribus Unitis, Breitseite feuernd korr-1220x824.jpg

It was a part of the slovene croat serb navy, of the newly formed state that eventually integrated itself into a kingdome that became yugoslavia.

I don't see what good does denying history bring.

Oh and Italy was very much aware that the navy wasn't austrian, and that the fighting has already stopped, they just wanted to cripple the newly formed state before it could organize themselves to secure the adriatic coast with a few international law infridgements.

• Cool 3

Players
180 posts
12,271 battles
On 10/11/2019 at 4:16 PM, quickr said:

It's for players not burdened by past. I'm Croat and I would like to see more ships that were designed and built in this parts of europe, no matter under which flag they sail(ed).

I am happy for you , I live in Sweden and I know a loot of people that run from Balkans (Craotian too) after  Yugoslav wars , and they very dislike Jugoslavia and are very vocal about that, so that is reason why write my question.

Players
243 posts

Nice ship, very accurate guns that do decent damage despite only being 305mm. Not sure what's going on with the secondaries, none of the deck guns work or are listed in the stats. Only the 4 70mms on the turrets seem to do anything. 

• Funny 1

Players
6 posts

It would be wise if Wargaming would left Yugoslavian issue aside and  left Viribus Unitis to be just Austro-Hungarian ship which it was.

South slavs issue is very complex issue.

Some people, most notably  Croats,  will not be happy.

I know WG can't know the subtleties.So we are here to contribute.

Allow me ,please, to  say what I know from perspective of my people/family story.

I am Croat, from Croatian  family of mariners trough centuries. Checzh engineers and workers, and Croat workers were one that contributed the most to  built this ships in naval yards of Austria_Hungary . Ships were manned predominantly  by Croat sailors  . Croats were first choice for navy in Austria Hungary, due to been only people in Empire with  centuries old tradition of seafaring .

Ship has passed into the hands of Croat mariners in 1918 and became potentialy important asset for the  Croats  as they  nagotiated with Kingdom of Serbia for terms of unification.

Ship was honorary named Yugoslavia by Croats, since term and idea of Yugoslavia was coined by Croat intellectuals long before World War I,   as an idealised romanticised brotherhood of states of south slavs ,to be formed after liberation from Austrian rule, as opposed to idea of unification of south slavs under Serbia pushed by largest south slavic state, Kingdom of Serbia.

Italy had interest for its neighbour(with parts of  Croatian coastline claimed by Italy) never to have posession of  capable  contemporary dreadnought, manned by  Croat sailors . In the same time  Serbian interests were  to form south slavs country under the rule of Serbian Monarchy  , and Serbia never  had plans  to have significant navy. From Croat position,   this sinking weakened  polithical position of Croats , which could bring that battleship to strenghten their terms in nagotiations to form Yugoslavia .Indeed ,after sinking of Viribus Unitis , Serbia acted like nothing happened, despite  de facto their own (to be) modern  battleship was sunk  by foreign power after the armstice.

Yugoslavia?

That name of the ship "Yugoslavia" was given by Croats,  ahead of time, because they believed in  state of south slavs that is to come(which never became what they expected) .

That country at first was not called Yugoslavia at all as Croats wanted,  , but Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes and functioned as Serbian monarchy ,and   was only named Yugoslavia 11 years later, in 1929, due to deep internal crisis of the   monarchy , as a  compromise.

5633bacd0667ed7ff79724e305aa7c93-full.jp

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

Players
56 posts
6,326 battles

Yeah… ship of the Yugos… right … go somewhere… and do something that I'm not going to write here, but you'll know what I mean.

yeah_right.thumb.JPG.35b27f88e3a0ca4f20edf450d21b529f.JPG

Edited by tasman_devil
fix your image upload, holy sh-t!
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

Players
6 posts

I can only conclude  that Wargaming thought to motivate "Yugoslavians" with.."their  " battleship as purely bussines motivation.Its ok,but It does not go that way with Yugoslavia.

It is time to  understand that unlike USSR, and Czechoslovakia, Yugoslavia was falling apart in bitter bloody war that lasted 5 years, with displaced millions, and killed hundreds of thousands, for some reason.

No more Yugoslavia  please.

Its unneccessary polithical entanglement with unfortunate past (for some of players).

Thank you for considering.

• Cool 2

[C4K3]
Players
160 posts
11,214 battles

Don't bay this ship. it is CV food non working AA and everybody knowes about it

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

Players
230 posts
7,639 battles

Hmm, i see wg imbecilism working verry hard, go hit up some history books and try tell what ship is this for what navy.

[C4K3]
Players
160 posts
11,214 battles
On 10/13/2019 at 9:55 AM, 416taylor said:

Don't bay this ship. it is CV food non working AA and everybody knowes about it

The AA is as efficiant as the crew standing on deck fireing their handguns, non effect att all. LOL.

I will play the 25,  200% 

battles and then put her to museum.