Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Yedwy

What the hell is wrong with Ohio guns?

27 comments in this topic

[JRM]
Players
6,285 posts
24,145 battles

So the title says it all, got this thing today and those  guns do not behave like any other 18" gun I used before, aside from the wonky hit rate as such with 8 guns its expected to be lower at any kind of range then with more BUT AP shells are completely useless, like its bounce city from angles I NEVER saw a BB shell bounce, like ever... Things that even Montana or Furst pen from a broadside no problem - nothing... Only way to do any kind of reliable damage is fire HE all the time at everything...

And this was worth 5 lines of regrind?

[RO-RN]
Players
853 posts
10,573 battles

Coal ships are the best, for steel only stalingrad and bourgogne are fun and great and for research center? just spend it on free xp or flags or get colbert or ohio if you are a ship collector other wise NO!

[SHAFT]
Players
9,500 posts
8,838 battles
8 minutes ago, Animalul2012 said:

for steel only stalingrad and bourgogne are fun and great 

You must be the first one who thinks, Stalingrad is fun to play in randoms :cap_fainting:

Almost everyone i know says: Stalingrad is unfun to play, and Bourgogne is TONS of fun. The only thing Stalingrad can do is: win games because turds are obsessed with you.

@Yedwy

From what ive heard: Thunderer is the much better ship now compared to Ohio. Its like Colbert and Smolensk :fish_book:

[JRM]
Players
6,285 posts
24,145 battles
6 hours ago, Animalul2012 said:

Coal ships are the best, for steel only stalingrad and bourgogne are fun and great and for research center? just spend it on free xp or flags or get colbert or ohio if you are a ship collector other wise NO!

So if I asked say "why my Ford C-Max engine accidentally lost power", your answer would be - "German cars are the best, you should drive Audi" Right?

@general discusion

Had another go just now, was not brilliant damage but acceptable given the situation. maybe its just the matter of getting used to it...

[SHAD]
Players
2,470 posts
11,067 battles

Ohio has battleship dispersion not battlecruiser dispersion.

I can’t explain your penetration issues. The numbers say it has good pen.

[MORIA]
Players
7,302 posts
35,991 battles

It works fine for me. Secondary build with no ifhe - tons of fires. Switch sometimes to HE to burn stuff like Yama bow on. For change good too. Few witherers on this. 

Though those AP punish broadsides. And even nose in Salems for full hp , Zao, Smolensk (😎). Idk for me it's a better Georgia. So maybe because of that I'm used to those shells. 

Screenshot_20191011-072604~2.png

[THESO]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,205 posts
7,652 battles
7 hours ago, Yedwy said:

So the title says it all, got this thing today and those  guns do not behave like any other 18" gun I used before, aside from the wonky hit rate as such with 8 guns its expected to be lower at any kind of range then with more BUT AP shells are completely useless, like its bounce city from angles I NEVER saw a BB shell bounce, like ever... Things that even Montana or Furst pen from a broadside no problem - nothing... Only way to do any kind of reliable damage is fire HE all the time at everything...

And this was worth 5 lines of regrind?

Ohios Accuracy is nearly as Bad as that of the German BB Line. Only the Sigma Value is Slightly Better.

But with the same Double Gun Turret Setup as Bismarck and FdG its Accuracy and Shell Spread is Horrible by Default.

So that is not Surpising.

Albeit. With the Artillery Plotting Room you should be able to Reduce that at least a little bit.

It certainly is easier to use these Guns than it is to use Bismarck or FdG Guns.

The other thing is the Penetration I guess.

The 457mm Guns have a Pretty low Velocity with only 732m/s which is likely the Reason for the Fairly Bad Penetration Power as they have an Higher Angle of Impact and less Kinetic Power to boot. It also makes it harder to Aim Long Range Shots.

Compared to Yamato and Kremlin which have 790m/s and 800m/s respectively. And thus have an Absurdly High Penetration.

Needless to say that thanks to the Triple Gun Turrets you also have a way better Spread with your Shells even on Kremlin which has a Lower Sigma Value.

[JRM]
Players
6,285 posts
24,145 battles

O I am aware of the accuracy, that aint whats bugging me, I can hit suffitently, problem is thus - me and montana, roughly broadside to each other (same angles) I fire and he fires - I get 6 bounces and he gets (assuming) 3-4 citadels on me and blows me away...

Its not "its a secondary based ship and all" issue either, I have a massa b and I am comfortable with the 5" secs its the main guns that behave wery strange, I guess the only explanation I might have is that high angle of impact on the shells makes them come down on deck and belts at a bad angle, but the 16" guns should have same angles and SHS (hence lower muzzle speed) and I have no such issues with Monty or Misu or Masa or Alabama...

Well I will pratcice some more I guess...

[THESO]
Players
953 posts
8,482 battles
39 minutes ago, Sunleader said:

Ohios Accuracy is nearly as Bad as that of the German BB Line

Wait!!! What???  One needs to reset not one, not two, but three lines (and wait for 6 months for seasons in between) to grind this ship and it has crap accuracy??? 

[JRM]
Players
6,285 posts
24,145 battles
10 minutes ago, Kenjiro_ said:

Wait!!! What???  One needs to reset not one, not two, but three lines (and wait for 6 months for seasons in between) to grind this ship and it has crap accuracy??? 

Well, yes basically... 25km range (with both plotting room modules) something like 270m max dispersion IIRC and you fill that elipse with 8 shells...

But as I said I aint complaining about the hit rate, I am fine with that, its that I expect that a sniping ship does some real :etc_swear: damage when it finally hits... But it turns out the shotgun not only hits more often but individual hits are yielding better results as well and that just shouldnt be...

[FABER]
[FABER]
Players
617 posts
6,307 battles
8 ore fa, DFens_666 ha scritto:

You must be the first one who thinks, Stalingrad is fun to play in randoms :cap_fainting:

Well, I played few games, but I love punishing broadsides across the map :cap_viking:

Beta Tester
725 posts
11,961 battles

I was not impressed with Ohio but I got because I wanted to get it, and I am not able to say why I wanted it.

Please provide some replays as I am curious, if I play it during weekend I can share my feelings.

So far I actually got issues with hitting targets not with bounces, but will pay more attention to it next game.

[THESO]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,205 posts
7,652 battles
1 hour ago, Yedwy said:

O I am aware of the accuracy, that aint whats bugging me, I can hit suffitently, problem is thus - me and montana, roughly broadside to each other (same angles) I fire and he fires - I get 6 bounces and he gets (assuming) 3-4 citadels on me and blows me away...

Its not "its a secondary based ship and all" issue either, I have a massa b and I am comfortable with the 5" secs its the main guns that behave wery strange, I guess the only explanation I might have is that high angle of impact on the shells makes them come down on deck and belts at a bad angle, but the 16" guns should have same angles and SHS (hence lower muzzle speed) and I have no such issues with Monty or Misu or Masa or Alabama...

Well I will pratcice some more I guess...

Nope. Montana has 762m/s which is already pretty slow.

But Ohio is even worse with a Pitiful Velocity of only 732m/s

Out of all the Ships with 457mm Guns the Ohio has the Lowest Shell Velocity. Its Sharing this Trait with the Georgia.

And Velocity does not only Affect the Impact Angle. It also Effects the Direct Penetration Power as the Penetration is Calculated by the Speed and Weight of the Shell together with some additional Factors.

The Ohio effectively has a Minimal but really really Minimal Better Penetration Power than the Montana.

Honestly said. The Only T10 BB with Significantly less Penetration is the German GK....

Weekend Tester
804 posts
9,025 battles
1 hour ago, Kenjiro_ said:

Well, presumably it has achieved its purpose of draining large amounts of FXP out of the game...

Players
3,130 posts
10,575 battles
3 minutes ago, cracktrackflak said:

Well, presumably it has achieved its purpose of draining large amounts of FXP out of the game...

WG:

"They are using up all their free XP"

image.jpeg.ca0c8a41e0351231adab1315b114a47a.jpeg

[JRM]
Players
6,285 posts
24,145 battles
14 minutes ago, Sunleader said:

Nope. Montana has 762m/s which is already pretty slow.

But Ohio is even worse with a Pitiful Velocity of only 732m/s

Out of all the Ships with 457mm Guns the Ohio has the Lowest Shell Velocity. Its Sharing this Trait with the Georgia.

And Velocity does not only Affect the Impact Angle. It also Effects the Direct Penetration Power as the Penetration is Calculated by the Speed and Weight of the Shell together with some additional Factors.

The Ohio effectively has a Minimal but really really Minimal Better Penetration Power than the Montana.

Honestly said. The Only T10 BB with Significantly less Penetration is the German GK....

I know how penetration works, but thats exactly it - doesnt feel like its even up to paar to mony...

[HOO]
[HOO]
Players
480 posts

She's definitely a strange ship to play.   I too am struggling how to get consistent results from the AP.  I seem to only have games in her with either 180K  plus damage or 40K damage, nothing in between.   It seems like my shells are god tier at times, and then in basically the same situation (distance, angles, target) the next volley will be all over pens, shatters and bounces.  

If I figure it out I'll let you know :)

• Cool 1

[JRM]
Players
6,285 posts
24,145 battles
15 minutes ago, Hawg said:

She's definitely a strange ship to play.   I too am struggling how to get consistent results from the AP.  I seem to only have games in her with either 180K  plus damage or 40K damage, nothing in between.   It seems like my shells are god tier at times, and then in basically the same situation (distance, angles, target) the next volley will be all over pens, shatters and bounces.  

If I figure it out I'll let you know :)

This exactly, its not damage dealing as such, I ll adapt and find a way to deal some damage but the simple fact of the matter is - Ohios 18" AP SHS that are supposed to be (even WG description states so) the selling point - dont work, the kinetic energy retention of the shell speed through distance due to the larger mass should make her pen equally or more at range not less then a lighter shell with a faster muzzle velocity and the 16" guns work EXACTLY like you expect, these - do not...

Well I suppuse none shall surpass the might of soviet. engeneering (kreml)

Players
462 posts
6,882 battles
19 minutes ago, Hawg said:

This is a typical kind of ratio I have been having lately with her:   image.thumb.png.6dafbff6bbb56c1f1ff0897740a10716.png

To be fair you get the same ratios more or less with Musashi and Kremlin. 

[HOO]
[HOO]
Players
480 posts
3 minutes ago, Merlin851526 said:

To be fair you get the same ratios more or less with Musashi and Kremlin. 

You may be right... and it's its far from scientific, but the first week I had her it felt like every AP hit was a 9K pen... now those seem to have evaporated... probably just me, but it "feels" like something changed.

Sign in to follow this