You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
The_Angry_Dragon

Honest questions not looking for a fight.

21 comments in this topic

[BHB]
Players
22 posts

Has anyone else noticed, or felt like something has changed in  the armaments? What I mean by that is I am honestly trying to get better at things like how I angle my ship to the enemy, and using range to my advantage. For a while it felt like ok this is better. But then recently its like no matter how I am angled one or two good volleys and I am being sunk. For instance in the New mexico against a New York I was facing head on, and he put in one volley and half my health was just gone. I tried to write it off as say he had bonus flags and what not. But the more and more I have things like that happen it just feels off.  Now I get that some people will want to go into the flame thing, and attack the fact I am a mid range player, and I only have a 45 to 50% win rate. But I am not talking about WR I am talking about when your in t he actual fight.

My next thing is my wife also plays, she plays a CV and looking at the way control of her flight seems to have changed, could they be preparing to connect World of warplanes or some form of it into us? Because accept for elevation the controls and skills are about the same just add in wing guns and a Tech tree and well. OK so there is my questions.

• Cool 1

[ADRIA]
Players
271 posts
12,253 battles

Which ships do you play? Cruisers and light armored ships can still get penned by higher calibers no matter the angling. As for cvs, they will stay as they are, they have nothing to do with world of warplanes. Rts is, unfortunately, long gone if that is what you think has changed with cvs. 

[BHB]
Players
22 posts
1 minute ago, Miki12345 said:

Which ships do you play? Cruisers and light armored ships can still get penned by higher calibers no matter the angling. As for cvs, they will stay as they are, they have nothing to do with world of warplanes. Rts is, unfortunately, long gone if that is what you think has changed with cvs. 

I play a mix I was in Cruisers for a while, But I am up to T8 and I thought ok I will try BB a bit more, i had stepped away from them when I got to the Colorado, because they feel so slowwwwwwwwwww....Laughs .. But I came back to them because I really want to get to the NC I don't play this to be a god. But Yeah and the problem has been more when in my BB. If I die quick in a cruiser I write that off because like you said light armored you blow on it strange it sinks.  But in a BB it feels like I should at least have some time before I am giving a kiss to the local mermaid. 

and yeah RTS being gone is what i am talking about. BUT watching her play, and I don't play a CV so I don't know anything about them. But from watching her play and listening to her complaints about RTS being gone, She controls them almost the way I do my Spitfire in World Warplanes. MINUS as I said Elevation, guns and a tech tree. 

[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles
32 minutes ago, ExylosES said:

I tried to write it off as say he had bonus flags and what not.

this already tells the whole story - you might want to look into how the game actually works if you want to keep improving. And that is not a "you have no clue, l2p noob" kind of attack, that's genuine advice - around the mid tiers, it really helps to famliarise yourself with the game mechanics to understand why things happen the way they do and what you can do to avoid/exploit that.

Just to take the above as an example.

There is not a single "flag and what not" in the game that interacts with AP shells (well, outside of fun and engaging detonations, but that's a separate mechanic, and the minor influence camos have on dispersion). The main keyword you should look into here is the Overmatch mechanic. Then take a look at the armour model of your NewMex in port, as well as the gun caliber that a New York is armed with, and see if you can figure out what happened. This is again not a "I'm too lazy to help you", but in my experience things like this stick with your memory much better if you look them up yourself :Smile_Default: Feel free to come back here with any further questions, or even just a big confused face if things don't click right away - most people on here are happy to help anyone that is genuinely looking for advice and not just complaining about "overpowered this" or "hacking that" :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 11

[BHB]
Players
22 posts
6 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

this already tells the whole story - you might want to look into how the game actually works if you want to keep improving. And that is not a "you have no clue, l2p noob" kind of attack, that's genuine advice - around the mid tiers, it really helps to famliarise yourself with the game mechanics to understand why things happen the way they do and what you can do to avoid/exploit that.

Just to take the above as an example.

There is not a single "flag and what not" in the game that interacts with AP shells (well, outside of fun and engaging detonations, but that's a separate mechanic, and the minor influence camos have on dispersion). The main keyword you should look into here is the Overmatch mechanic. Then take a look at the armour model of your NewMex in port, as well as the gun caliber that a New York is armed with, and see if you can figure out what happened. This is again not a "I'm too lazy to help you", but in my experience things like this stick with your memory much better if you look them up yourself :Smile_Default: Feel free to come back here with any further questions, or even just a big confused face if things don't click right away - most people on here are happy to help anyone that is genuinely looking for advice and not just complaining about "overpowered this" or "hacking that" :Smile_honoring:

Actually I didn't take a word you said as a go die noob...LOL.. That was actually helpful, I will go look at the over match and see what i can find. But to correct you what I meant by I right it off, is that I don't let it stress me out, not that it doesn't bother me. I just don't let it get to me, because from what i have seen in my Yorck and my cleveland. All I have to die is piss off the wrong BB driver and I am going to the bottom...laughs... Which is why I would like to get the NC BB or something similar, because I feel like even with some skill to my piloting of a cruiser, and its not much but i feel like I do have some. One good Salvo from a BB and I am gonna die, and since 15 K is about the best range of the guns on those two ships. But my New mexico I have a 19 to 20 k Range. So I have to be well in their ranges with the Cruiser to actually hit them and I am gonna do alot less dmg. Not that it is impossible to do, but against a BB with any real skill and they are gonna sink me almost every time. DD seem to actually have the advantage there because they are so small and fast, that by the time i have gotten my guns lined up and then fired they are turning so my solution for the salvo is off.  It may just be that I suck as a BB captain, but just feels wierd you know.

• Cool 1

[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles
10 minutes ago, ExylosES said:

Actually I didn't take a word you said as a go die noob...LOL.. That was actually helpful, I will go look at the over match and see what i can find. But to correct you what I meant by I right it off, is that I don't let it stress me out, not that it doesn't bother me. I just don't let it get to me, because from what i have seen in my Yorck and my cleveland. All I have to die is piss off the wrong BB driver and I am going to the bottom...laughs... Which is why I would like to get the NC BB or something similar, because I feel like even with some skill to my piloting of a cruiser, and its not much but i feel like I do have some. One good Salvo from a BB and I am gonna die, and since 15 K is about the best range of the guns on those two ships. But my New mexico I have a 19 to 20 k Range. So I have to be well in their ranges with the Cruiser to actually hit them and I am gonna do alot less dmg. Not that it is impossible to do, but against a BB with any real skill and they are gonna sink me almost every time. DD seem to actually have the advantage there because they are so small and fast, that by the time i have gotten my guns lined up and then fired they are turning so my solution for the salvo is off.  It may just be that I suck as a BB captain, but just feels wierd you know.

oh, I know what you mean. The feeling that Battleship drivers have it too easy, especially compared to cruisers, is about as old as the game itself :Smile_teethhappy:

The NC is certainly a very good ship to strive for, but dont expect it to be a wonder weapon. The main reason for that is that it's a T8, so it'll regularly meet T10 ships - and T10 cruisers will generally eat you for breakfast if they're good. Not that you can't hurt them a LOT if they mess up, mind you, but a well-driven Zao/Hindenburg/Henri IV is a scary scary prospect for any T8 Battleship. I always felt like the "sweetspots" for battleship power are at T6-T7 (NewMex and Colorado ain't such great examples because they're slow-as-dirt US Standards, but Sinop... Fuso... oh boy...) and T10 (because those are always top tier and get much scarier firepower than their predecessors :Smile_teethhappy:).

If you want, there's also the option for you to post a replay or two on here, have some of us more experienced players watch them and give you concrete pointers what you can do differently. Up to you whether you want that, but it's proven quite effective in the past :Smile_honoring:

[JRM]
Players
6,298 posts
24,191 battles
33 minutes ago, ExylosES said:

...Yorck and my cleveland. All I have to die is piss off the wrong BB driver and I am going to the bottom...

Dont sweat m8, after say 10000 battles and 4 cruiser lines ground to T10 most of those BB drivers will have nightmares about pissing you off and will run to the map border 1min after they start exchanging fire with you...

• Funny 1

[BHB]
Players
22 posts

I can do that, the only real replay i have right now is my best game EVER Which compared to some wont be much, and I did a lot of Yolo in it ..lol.. But i may very well post one or two just to get some imput Like I said I don't play to be a god But to go into a game knowing I am gonna last for at least most of it would be nice...lol..

[BHB]
Players
22 posts
17 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

Dont sweat m8, after say 10000 battles and 4 cruiser lines ground to T10 most of those BB drivers will have nightmares about pissing you off and will run to the map border 1min after they start exchanging fire with you...

I hope so..lol.. I grinded the Us line to Cleveland, and then started the Germans Line, got it to Yorck, and then started grinding BB's I had then to colorado and then made a bone head move because I really do not like the dispersion on the Colorado. Like to the point I felt like i was hitting way more on the New york and the New Mexico, BUT I got to where I only need the Free xp for the NC and completly not thinking about just how long it takes to get free xp, sold it and went back in the new mexico. So now I am putting the credits together to rebuy it, so that I can do the last XP grind for the NC..lol But with a bit of Intelligence I have been using the Same US captain in all those ships so he is at 13 point captain.  So when I put him in the NC he will be a force of nature. I did similar with the German Captain and he is already a 11 point.

[COMFY]
Players
792 posts
2,025 battles

Its most likely you go overmatched. A good tip is that take a gun calibre (in mm) and divide it by 14.3, then round up. That is your armor  overmatch value, where the shells pens regardless of angle.

and yes cv reeeework means RTS cvs are no longer a thing.

[BHB]
Players
22 posts
1 minute ago, howardxu_23 said:

Its most likely you go overmatched. A good tip is that take a gun calibre (in mm) and divide it by 14.3, then round up. That is your armor  overmatch value, where the shells pens regardless of angle.

and yes cv reeeework means RTS cvs are no longer a thing.

LOL yeah and I think the hardest part of being married to a CV pilot, you ever try to get them in a bedroom when they are complaining. I WANT MY RTS BACK, there is literally no sexy comback to that....lmao.. Yes she is hitting me right now

• Funny 1

[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles
14 minutes ago, ExylosES said:

BUT I got to where I only need the Free xp for the NC and completly not thinking about just how long it takes to get free xp, sold it and went back in the new mexico. So now I am putting the credits together to rebuy it, so that I can do the last XP grind for the NC..

word of advice... NEVER use freeXP to unlock a new ship, save it for the modules so you've actually got a competent new ship. Particularly relevant for the NC which gets a straight 25% HP buff and a lot of extra AA from mounting the upgraded hull as well as a significant speed boost from the upgraded engine.

• Cool 2

[BHB]
Players
22 posts
1 minute ago, Tyrendian89 said:

word of advice... NEVER use freeXP to unlock a new ship, save it for the modules so you've actually got a competent new ship. Particularly relevant for the NC which gets a straight 25% HP buff and a lot of extra AA from mounting the upgraded hull as well as a significant speed boost from the upgraded engine.

Gets all whiney voiced.. BUT HAVE YOU SEEN THE DISPERSION ON THE COLOADO...cries.... Seriously its like they said ok now lets throw 10 stones at wall and a painted circle, thats your dispersion. Yes I am just complaining to complain. But Lesson learned. I am rebuying the COL today or tomorrow to start that grind for the exp.

• Funny 1

[NSVE]
[NSVE]
Players
405 posts
12,030 battles

Talk with your clan mates, study the ship armour layouts for the tier your playing so you can identify weak spots. You tube has a whole host of ideas and coaching tips and don't copy flambass unless your name is Hans...

• Funny 1

[AAO]
Players
1,546 posts
20,647 battles
1 hour ago, ExylosES said:

BUT HAVE YOU SEEN THE DISPERSION ON THE COLOADO...cries.... Seriously its like they said ok now lets throw 10 stones at wall and a painted circle, thats your dispersion. Yes I am just complaining to complain.

Colorado has actually pretty nice dispersion for a BB. If you really wanna cry give the Gnei a go.

Very nice ship (imo) but 6 guns with too much Sauerkraut on the rangefinder tend to give... interesting results.

Overmatch Rule of thumb btw 

340mm overmatches the bow/stern/external plating of: T5 and lower BBs and T7 and lower Cruisers

380 overmatches " : T7 and lower BBs and cruisers and bow/stern of many T8+ cruisers (their casemate armor may still bounce you)

406 overmatches " : T7 and lower BBs and most cruisers and bow/stern of almost all T8+ cruisers ( " )

432 overmatches " : T7 and lower BBs and almost every cruiser (only their belt can bounce you)

460 overmatches " : almost everything. only a few ships (Moskva, Stalin, KM and Russian BBs + USN BBs and Alaska with their cental deck armor only) can bounce you with anything but their belt-armor.

203 overmatches the bow/stern of T6 and lower cruisers and especially T7 and lower RN cruisers. ^^

• Cool 1

[BHB]
Players
22 posts
1 minute ago, rnat said:

Colorado has actually pretty nice dispersion for a BB. If you really wanna cry give the Gnei a go.

Very nice ship (imo) but 6 guns with too much Sauerkraut on the rangefinder tend to give... interesting results.

Overmatch Rule of thumb btw 

340mm overmatches the bow/stern/external plating of: T5 and lower BBs and T7 and lower Cruisers

380 overmatches " : T7 and lower BBs and cruisers and bow/stern of many T8+ cruisers (their casemate armor may still bounce you)

406 overmatches " : T7 and lower BBs and most cruisers and bow/stern of almost all T8+ cruisers ( " )

432 overmatches " : T7 and lower BBs and almost every cruiser (only their belt can bounce you)

460 overmatches " : almost everything. only a few ships (Moskva, Stalin, KM and Russian BBs) can bounce you with anything but their belt-armor.

203 overmatches the bow/stern of T6 and lower cruisers and especially T7 and lower RN cruisers. ^^

Oh I know the COL does it just felt like it was worse because it was a new ship, and I love the New mexico..lol... I dont actually play the game for stats and stuff, I am one of the history lovers who like to collect the ships for the history part. But I will take a look at that ship and probably steer clear..lol

[BABBY]
Players
674 posts
10,272 battles

Learning the overmatch thresholds is actually quite easy because of unified armor plating values. Up to tier 7 cruisers (16mm plating) get overmatched by any BB gun. 25mm is vulnerable from 380mm+, 27mm/406mm, 30/430, 32/460

[GW_KR]
Players
215 posts
12,007 battles
3 hours ago, ExylosES said:

Oh and I think alot of my problems in the Cruisers is that I try to push way to much, So i am hoping the slow BBs will teach me patience and to slow down

I had and still have in a lot of cases the being too agrgessive problem. But with the Yorck ot is a different story. Take the back row from the beginning. The Yorck have ok range, excellent dispersion och wicked he shells. But it has garbage turret traverse och its a bit clumsy so never try and brawl och close engage in it. Engage bbs at max range and wear them down. Set them on fire time ang again. At 15-17 k range they have a hard time hitting you when kiting. And they get pissed off and make mistakes often. The ap on yorck are very good to surprise citadel cls! And it has good aa too. 

I still suck with the Cleveland though. 

But I found Colorado to be a good ship that one shots or citadells enemies with ease. 

• Cool 1

[MORIA]
Players
585 posts
7,851 battles
5 hours ago, Tyrendian89 said:

Hehe, or just use free xp for everything, so you can pay WG a little aswell. I havent grinded a single line, just cant stand it :)

[MORIA]
Players
585 posts
7,851 battles
5 hours ago, ExylosES said:

I can do that, the only real replay i have right now is my best game EVER Which compared to some wont be much, and I did a lot of Yolo in it ..lol.. But i may very well post one or two just to get some imput Like I said I don't play to be a god But to go into a game knowing I am gonna last for at least most of it would be nice...lol..

Just upload it