Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
LiveWire___

The Mighty Hood

155 comments in this topic

[ELEC]
[ELEC]
Players
629 posts
3,818 battles

I have played this ship quite a lot since getting her a short while ago. She seems somewhat underrated and / or overlooked.

I'm so impressed with her, I felt compelled to write a post.

I love this ship, and she suits my play style perfectly. She's fast. As fast (and in some cases, faster) as many Cruisers.

Angled right, she's tanky. I've taken full broadsides from Yamato and Musashi without incident.

Her special pen values are deadly.

Her AA is very good.

Her heal is great.

Her rudder shift is a dream.

Her turret rotation is superb, especially (as I have done) when specced for it.

She has some down sides, namely that her secondaries are poor, and short ranged, forcing her to rely almost solely on her main battery. She's a big target when broadside on (which, for me, is pretty rare).

In general, though, I've found her to be my most successful BB thus far.

What do you think? 

• Cool 5

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,483 posts
19,740 battles

There are a lot of such ships in the game. One example, the Vanguard. Received some really underwhelming reviews and never became popular. But a lot of people ignored the fact that just like Hood and Warspite, the ship is tanky as hell as it has a good belt and can heal more HP than other BBs.

Another forgotten premium, Perth. The creeping smoke is still a thing to respect, as there are no radars at T6. The list goes on. The problem lies in people looking at the next "new" thing and thinking it will be better than old ships, but there are quite enough ships that don't feel the pinch of the power creep (save Alabama, that ship is obsolete).

• Cool 4

[HOO]
Players
2,191 posts
4 hours ago, aboomination said:

She has been buffed quite recently and is a good boat now.

Indeed, Hood used to suffer very badly from the Gunnery officer being so out of his head on rum that landing a shell was a matter of luck, even close up, it's improved a fair bit compared to how it was. It takes some skill to play though as it needs some aggression to be effective and care with angling against incoming fire or it's going to eat citadels as it's a Battle Cruiser and not heavily armoured.

Beta Tester
725 posts
12,003 battles

I do like it but, I was trying to get a win in random battles and that was painfull.

Have to admit that as always I end up in position when my choice was to give broadside to Izumo or Alsace, and Alsace did take a cake.

I was impressed by guns, but you say it was buffed so that explains it. I could hit anything I wanted with at least one shell, nice ride it was.

Players
1,628 posts
18,200 battles

Ever since they gave her a slight buff she's become a wonderful ships to play. I think because when she was released she was quite meh a lot of people just wrote her off.

I love playing the Hood it's perfect for attacking a flank and with her speed and tanky armour you can really be a pain for the enemy to deal with. 

• Cool 2

Players
143 posts
20,337 battles

Yep, speed gets you onto a flank, angle up and kite and lob shells over your shoulder while abusing the bouncing belt. If you come under pressure, throttle out of there, heal up and reposition. It is a battle cruiser after all

• Cool 3

[SHAD]
Players
2,479 posts
11,128 battles

A lot of people didn’t see it as a buff as the short fuse limited overpens on all those low tier cruisers.

The accuracy improvement and the retaining of improved pen angles are very helpful.

[POI--]
Players
1,145 posts
9,566 battles
51 minutes ago, CptBarney said:

Ahhh. So miss pudding is gud now?

noice. 

How can't such a smile don't convince you Barney ?

Spoiler

Unbenannt.png.40bd6c3471aa9e090841e4ae54c14d39.png

Yes when she was released i remember her to be a meh boat. You raley seen her in random battles so i thought they never changed it and she's still a meh boat and underwhelming.
but when so many are sayin' she is a gud boat now might i have a close look to it.

[SHAD]
Players
2,479 posts
11,128 battles

Good AA with defensive fire consumable.

Highest hp at tier.

Great armour profile when angled with armoured cheek.

Great gun angles

American AP angles (no auto bounce until 60 degrees) this is a big one.

Good rudder shift albeit it with a large turning circle.

And now good accuracy for a tier 7 battleship.

The guns still lack pen so citadelling battleship is not that easy.

it was my first ship from a super container.

• Cool 1

[S-O-M]
Players
657 posts

It’s strange;  peoples difference of opinion;I love Hood, it’s fast, sleek, british and historical.

Contrary to some thoughts, this ship citadels for fun, aim for the top of the hull.

WG does it a dis-service, let’s face it there are now what at least 4 Brit premium bbs as well as tech tree, none have got torps, battle cruiser hood had torps, and yet some German bbs in game have torps but not historically. So that’s one buff. And a missed opportunity for a truly unique BB, the only in game Brit BB/battle cruiser with Torps.

The AA is poor, and not as good as it was pre cv rework.   My sims has better AA.

The secondaries are very poor and despite being quite tanky angled it’s not a brawler.

Mains Reloading is about 2 seconds too slow.

There are too many “mighty hood or similar posts”, give it a week or so and there will be another one.

Along with Bismarck and a few others Hood is world famous, such ships should be special, and stand out in game; not be op but be a presence and feared, eg a Vladivostok  driver should see a Bismarck and think oh crap, but thanks to WG’s pro Russian stance it’s the Bis driver cussing as their shots bracket the vlad while vlad knocks off huge chunks of HP.

Yes Hoods good but like others “that deserve it” it should be special.  I bet if it were Russian it would have had torps.

Players
6,800 posts
245 battles
12 hours ago, Elypse201 said:

How can't such a smile don't convince you Barney ?

Reveal hidden contents

Unbenannt.png.40bd6c3471aa9e090841e4ae54c14d39.png

Yes when she was released i remember her to be a meh boat. You raley seen her in random battles so i thought they never changed it and she's still a meh boat and underwhelming.
but when so many are sayin' she is a gud boat now might i have a close look to it.

Ya, but i like yorkie moar.

also did you take the royal pudding out today for walkies?

[POI--]
Players
1,145 posts
9,566 battles
Just now, CptBarney said:

Ya, but i like yorkie moar.

also did you take the royal pudding out today for walkies?

Yes i bought her today quite succesfull so far:

Spoiler

Unbenannt.thumb.png.765bb47823845c80fb1e473251b62537.png

• Cool 1

Players
6,800 posts
245 battles
Just now, Elypse201 said:

Yes i bought her today quite succesfull so far:

Hide contents

Unbenannt.thumb.png.765bb47823845c80fb1e473251b62537.png

Hmm, maybe miss hood is a lot better now.

I hope prince of wales is gud when she arrives!

[TSSU]
Players
150 posts

Erm, I'm completely the opposite. I just bought it and I think it's laughably inconsistent and while I'll continue because... it's the [edited]Hood - I'm not enjoying it yet.

Admittedly, I've got more devastating strikes than with any other ship at about 15km on cruisers (i think, complete guesswork but quite a number!)... and at unexpected angles or while seeing insane dispersion (i.e. nothing is going to hit... wait, TRIPLE citadel? you fkin kidding?).

However, I've also fired 6km and 10km full broadside enemy battleships (i.e flat on) and 1 lot of 8 shells hit once for 1 overpen, and the other had 2 shatters and 1 overpen. Against Enemy battleships. I mean... I could throw a fkin shoe with better accuracy. Okay, maybe slight exaggeration, but I reckon from 10 yards I'd be more accurate. As for bouncing Mushashi or taking full broadsides? seriously? I've been penned while angling very well indeed. As for "full broadsides from Yamato " - T7 vs T10? Can't say it's not true, but really?). I also think I've scored 2 citidels in all my Hood games against battleships - which is way below - but I'm assuming that's awful dispersion rather than just can't pen. But then again... 

Broadsides that would be "dead on" with most battleships... I've had overpens to hell and back. I've also had 35 pens... doing 34k of damage as well - what are they penning?! :D No other ship has been so "this is perfect aim, but... at 10km i may not even hit" It's come to the point where I'm starting to think of *not* aiming. I mean, it can't get much worse. 

But I've also got 4+ kills via the terrible dispersion killing something in smoke i've no view/lock on simply because dispersion :D 

I've not played a ship whereby I've felt less confident of my firing. I've not played a ship where I've felt a single destroyer at 8km will best me due to awful dispersion (usually, very confident in those circumstances).

However, the shell speed is different and there's still adjustment to get used to so maybe... ah who am I kidding, I've watched so many volleys bracket ships with zero hits, or just 1 out of the 8 and it's an overpen. Or citidel. I mean... 

I find it very inconsistent and very annoying at present - I'm hoping it's just teething problems as I improve. But Christ I want to meet one just to sink it. *rage over* I'll continue trying. I mean my first game in Dunkerque was bad, but since then it's been fan-fking-tastic. With a few exceptions. Hoping just adjustment period - slow learner.

p.s. really pissed off that > 50% of games appear to be T9. I don't think i've been top tier in any yet. But only really annoyed because it's guesswork if I can do any damage on most shots.

• Cool 1

[ELEC]
[ELEC]
Players
629 posts
3,818 battles
1 hour ago, Chips_uk said:

Erm, I'm completely the opposite. I just bought it and I think it's laughably inconsistent and while I'll continue because... it's the [edited]Hood - I'm not enjoying it yet.

Admittedly, I've got more devastating strikes than with any other ship at about 15km on cruisers (i think, complete guesswork but quite a number!)... and at unexpected angles or while seeing insane dispersion (i.e. nothing is going to hit... wait, TRIPLE citadel? you fkin kidding?).

However, I've also fired 6km and 10km full broadside enemy battleships (i.e flat on) and 1 lot of 8 shells hit once for 1 overpen, and the other had 2 shatters and 1 overpen. Against Enemy battleships. I mean... I could throw a fkin shoe with better accuracy. Okay, maybe slight exaggeration, but I reckon from 10 yards I'd be more accurate. As for bouncing Mushashi or taking full broadsides? seriously? I've been penned while angling very well indeed. As for "full broadsides from Yamato " - T7 vs T10? Can't say it's not true, but really?). I also think I've scored 2 citidels in all my Hood games against battleships - which is way below - but I'm assuming that's awful dispersion rather than just can't pen. But then again... 

Broadsides that would be "dead on" with most battleships... I've had overpens to hell and back. I've also had 35 pens... doing 34k of damage as well - what are they penning?! :D No other ship has been so "this is perfect aim, but... at 10km i may not even hit" It's come to the point where I'm starting to think of *not* aiming. I mean, it can't get much worse. 

But I've also got 4+ kills via the terrible dispersion killing something in smoke i've no view/lock on simply because dispersion :D 

I've not played a ship whereby I've felt less confident of my firing. I've not played a ship where I've felt a single destroyer at 8km will best me due to awful dispersion (usually, very confident in those circumstances).

However, the shell speed is different and there's still adjustment to get used to so maybe... ah who am I kidding, I've watched so many volleys bracket ships with zero hits, or just 1 out of the 8 and it's an overpen. Or citidel. I mean... 

I find it very inconsistent and very annoying at present - I'm hoping it's just teething problems as I improve. But Christ I want to meet one just to sink it. *rage over* I'll continue trying. I mean my first game in Dunkerque was bad, but since then it's been fan-fking-tastic. With a few exceptions. Hoping just adjustment period - slow learner.

p.s. really pissed off that > 50% of games appear to be T9. I don't think i've been top tier in any yet. But only really annoyed because it's guesswork if I can do any damage on most shots.

I had exactly the same issue with Richelieu - see my post "Richelieu -a crap ship?"

I've gotten much better with her now, and have had some great matches. It all came down to being a ship which plays very differently to Hood, in which I do well (see above).

Like I say, Hood moves and shoots like a cruiser (she's a Battlecruiser after all) and tanks like a BB. She's an absolute Cruiser killer. Catch one broadside on, and, as you've seen, its sayonara. It helps tremendously that she can chase Cruisers down too.

One on one, if you're alert (which, by tier 7, you should be), you'll find that between 15-20k, enemy BBs will have a really hard time catching you solidly with their shots. She runs rings around slower, tanky BBs, like Sinop. I had two chasing me down last week, and they couldn't. They also couldn't hit me. Though I didn't end up sinking either of them, I spripped off huge chunks of their HP. Other teammates blew them away while they were occupied trying to delete me.

Persevere. I think you'll come to appreciate her.

[ELEC]
[ELEC]
Players
629 posts
3,818 battles
2 hours ago, MadBadDave said:

It’s strange;  peoples difference of opinion;I love Hood, it’s fast, sleek, british and historical.

Contrary to some thoughts, this ship citadels for fun, aim for the top of the hull.

WG does it a dis-service, let’s face it there are now what at least 4 Brit premium bbs as well as tech tree, none have got torps, battle cruiser hood had torps, and yet some German bbs in game have torps but not historically. So that’s one buff. And a missed opportunity for a truly unique BB, the only in game Brit BB/battle cruiser with Torps.

The AA is poor, and not as good as it was pre cv rework.   My sims has better AA.

The secondaries are very poor and despite being quite tanky angled it’s not a brawler.

Mains Reloading is about 2 seconds too slow.

There are too many “mighty hood or similar posts”, give it a week or so and there will be another one.

Along with Bismarck and a few others Hood is world famous, such ships should be special, and stand out in game; not be op but be a presence and feared, eg a Vladivostok  driver should see a Bismarck and think oh crap, but thanks to WG’s pro Russian stance it’s the Bis driver cussing as their shots bracket the vlad while vlad knocks off huge chunks of HP.

Yes Hoods good but like others “that deserve it” it should be special.  I bet if it were Russian it would have had torps.

She's mighty to me.

But no, I seriously doubt people see my Hood coming (they rarely seem to see me coming at all, in fact, if the number of broadsides I'm shown is anything to go by) and think "oh crap". Quite the opposite. I guess they rub their hands with glee in anticipation of an easy kill. It never happens. Even if I am sunk, I never make it easy.

Just today, I was the last man standing and came under fire from between 5-8 enemy ships. I wasn't counting. It took them about three minutes to take me down. Weaving all over the place, I was.

And another opponent comes to appreciate this ship when played properly.

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
13,789 posts
19,491 battles
On 10/10/2019 at 12:41 AM, Thundercracker_3 said:

Her AA is very good.

tenor.gif

Hint:

You have marginally better AA than a C-hull Omaha.

[ELEC]
[ELEC]
Players
629 posts
3,818 battles
6 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

tenor.gif

Hint:

You have marginally better AA than a C-hull Omaha.

...but the UP rocket launchers are rather tasty. I can't recall ever having been sunk by a carrier.

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
13,789 posts
19,491 battles
36 minutes ago, Thundercracker_3 said:

...but the UP rocket launchers are rather tasty. I can't recall ever having been sunk by a carrier.

They deal 17.5 DPS.

DFAA bumps that up to 26.25.

A single Langley rocket plane has 1210 HP. Do the math.

Hood AA is only good if the enemy CV player is bad.

But if the enemy CV player is bad any ship that is capable of generating a few flak bursts can be considered to have good AA.

Meanwhile Hood is extremely vulnerable to AP bombs which can easily erase a third to half of your health in a single strike. Likewise she has practically no TDS to speak of meaning air dropped torps also hurt a lot.

[ELEC]
[ELEC]
Players
629 posts
3,818 battles
1 hour ago, El2aZeR said:

They deal 17.5 DPS.

DFAA bumps that up to 26.25.

A single Langley rocket plane has 1210 HP. Do the math.

Hood AA is only good if the enemy CV player is bad.

But if the enemy CV player is bad any ship that is capable of generating a few flak bursts can be considered to have good AA.

Meanwhile Hood is extremely vulnerable to AP bombs which can easily erase a third to half of your health in a single strike. Likewise she has practically no TDS to speak of meaning air dropped torps also hurt a lot.

I've done the maths. It adds up to "I can't recall ever having been sunk by a carrier"

Plus, I've no patience with nor interest in the numbers. I call it as I see it; I've seen Hood's AA hack planes out of the sky easily. It does this often. End of.

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
13,789 posts
19,491 battles
12 minutes ago, Thundercracker_3 said:

Plus, I've no patience with nor interest in the numbers. I call it as I see it

Then don't make a claim that you can't back up with facts.

I've seen an afk Kagero kill the entire strike of a potato teammate once, does that make Kagero AA good?

• Funny 2

Players
8,116 posts
8,931 battles
3 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

Then don't make a claim that you can't back up with facts.

I've seen an afk Kagero kill the entire strike of a potato teammate once, does that make Kagero AA good?

And then you consider Kagero hasn't even got a flak burst. A true feat to lose to that.

Sign in to follow this