You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
El2aZeR

PSA: AA Sector reinforcement mechanic

44 comments in this topic

6,040 posts
10,440 battles

So one reason more to not invest in any AA skills whatsoever?

Anyway: Thanks for testing. Let's see what WG comes up with.

• Cool 1

[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles

my money would be on visual/interface bug to be honest, just based on how crap the interface in its entirety is, especially when it has to deal with multiple things happening quickly in a live server environment (hello two overpens for 10k damage and the like...). Plus, those damage number popups never seemed to even remotely coincide with the "Plane Damage Counter" in the top right anyway... might be interesting to do the same sort of testing but pay attention to what happens on that counter?

• Cool 2

Players
568 posts
8 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Also remember when WG said that RTS AA was convoluted and difficult to understand?

All I remember of RTS times was that back then I had dedicated AA-captains on many ships on many nations.

Even with "fewer" CVs I would still gamble with AA-captains cause it was fun and rewarding when a CV game hit you.

Now my poor AA-captains are sitting in port 19/19 getting alcholism, while their colleagues at Survial/Tank department are over worked.

Back then AA-skills mattered now they are just a roll of dice with a hint of surprise mechanics in it.:fish_palm:

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
13,774 posts
19,465 battles
28 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

might be interesting to do the same sort of testing but pay attention to what happens on that counter?

Damage counter does rise faster, however that's because you're dealing damage to two squads as you're attacking both active and bailing aircraft.

As soon as the bailing aircraft disappear the counter seems to rise at "normal" speeds again.

EDIT:

Some basic testing reveals Clemson deals about 103-112 damage regardless of sector reinforcement on a first approach by Hermes RFs.

[BOATX]
Beta Tester
5,170 posts
23,679 battles

I dont know why they dont admit they screwed up the CV rework, even after 10 months.

• Cool 4

Players
9,842 posts
11,553 battles

Umm, weren't AA ticks supposed to be unified at what was it, 2/7 of a second?

Maybe comparing damage on the counter would give an answer, though that would require flak-less ships to be tested.

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
13,774 posts
19,465 battles
4 minutes ago, Panocek said:

Maybe comparing damage on the counter would give an answer, though that would require flak-less ships to be tested.

Clemson on Hermes RFs first approach: 103 damage

Clemson on Hermes RFs first approach with SR: 112 damage (probably more due to my timing with shutting off the AA or maybe the bot aimed differently than SR actually doing sth)

Spoiler

XrwJH4M.png

rglwLE9.png

On a sidenote, DFAA DPS increase actually works as intended, turning Yubari 160 close range DPS to 240 close range DPS.

[KAKE]
Players
2,521 posts
5,980 battles
34 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

EDIT:

Some basic testing reveals Clemson deals about 103-112 damage regardless of sector reinforcement on a first approach by Hermes RFs.

Working as intended, Comrade. Clemson is not battleship, da?

• Funny 3

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,470 posts
19,673 battles

I'm not even mad, at this point I'm just disappointed by the amount of bugs and failures the AA rework from 0.8.7 has. It's like every time they change something, they go about it halfcocked.

@MrConway@Crysantos

Can you please check if this is an interface bug or if the description of the AA sector is really wrong and it doesn't increase damage?

• Cool 4

Players
9,842 posts
11,553 battles

I've come up with other way of checking whether Sector works... sort of

-immobile flak-less target (Kleber in my case) against IJN carrier (Shokek in my case)

-on first run, no sector used whatsoever against dive bombers

-restart the game, start sector at 4km (just outside of 3.8km AA range of Kleber) to not hit planes with initial blast

-"timer stop" on planes dropping their payload - if you pay attention to dmg counter, it stops for about a second as planes enter immunity window the moment they release payload, but returning wing didn't detached yet

Numbers as follow:

shot-19-10-09-11-03-55-0066.jpg

shot-19-10-09-11-07-22-0760.jpg

2412*1.35=3256.2, so almost there?

If anything, dmg numbers should be lower, as sector is supposed to gradually increase dps, not give flat +35% right out of the bat :cap_hmm:

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
13,774 posts
19,465 battles
10 minutes ago, Panocek said:

2412*1.35=3256.2, so almost there?

I'm getting really weird results with Clemson. There seems to be no difference whatsoever in using SR vs not using SR. In fact sometimes not using SR yields more damage for whatever reason. Perhaps her DPS is simply too weak for SR to make any difference.

Caledon however does deal more damage at roughly the rate it is supposed to according to the damage counter, so that's a visual bug for sure.

Spoiler

GAjya26.png

AAuSxwr.png

10 minutes ago, Panocek said:

If anything, dmg numbers should be lower, as sector is supposed to gradually increase dps, not give flat +35% right out of the bat :cap_hmm:

Indeed.

So we went from "SR possibly does nothing" to "SR possibly does too much".

This is getting weird. :cap_fainting:

• Funny 2

Players
6,773 posts
245 battles

So why do battleships get better AA than the more aa dedicated ships?

do bb’s have a seperate formula?

halp.

[SHAFT]
Players
9,515 posts
8,849 battles
1 minute ago, CptBarney said:

So why do battleships get better AA than the more aa dedicated ships?

Cant have BBabies go cry because they get attacked too much.

Thats why most of them can mount fighters so that bad bad CVs will rather strike Cruisers and DDs.

Players
6,773 posts
245 battles
Just now, DFens_666 said:

Thats why most of them can mount fighters so that bad bad CVs will rather strike Cruisers and DDs.

As a bb main i would rather my cruisers have better aa so that they can do more than get dev striked 24/7.

But yeah striking cruisers and dd’s isnt as satisfying lol.

Nice to know wargaming refuses to acknowledge the reeeeeeeework as a failure.

I bet subs will be a disaster. Bb’s getting over 50% torp reduction minimum?:Smile_trollface:

[PANEU]
Players
841 posts
Vor 2 Minuten, DFens_666 sagte:

Tbh it should be the exact opposite of that.... 

[BONUS]
Beta Tester
1,443 posts
1 minute ago, Karotte_marksman said:

With the risk of sounding like a dinosaur... :cap_old:

It once was. And it worked fine.

Then came the influx of idiots into the game, and BBs insisted on going alone. So naturally they got picked off by CVs, thus the BBs came crying on the forums, after which WG started the BB buff race to the top.

And that is the sad story of BBalance :fish_book:

Spoiler

And this is even coming from a heavy BB main! :cap_fainting:

[SHAFT]
Players
9,515 posts
8,849 battles
7 minutes ago, Karotte_marksman said:

Ofc it should. They even wrote so in their own description about CVs. Just hover over the CV symbol when you are in queue for battle, it says something about fighting capital ships or something.

Not to mention, that BBs suffer the least from CV attacks. Chunking DDs with rockets? They dont even have a heal. Same for Cruisers till T9, but it still hurts. AP bombs do hurt BBs, but they hurt Cruisers even more due to having less HP.

Players
3,339 posts
16,088 battles
2 hours ago, Aragathor said:

I'm not even mad, at this point I'm just disappointed by the amount of bugs and failures the AA rework from 0.8.7 has. It's like every time they change something, they go about it halfcocked. 

Don't worry, I am annoyed enough by the AA Rework to be mad on your behalf :Smile_honoring:

and for all others posting on this thread,

and all others posting on this forum,

and everyone playing the game now and forever, amen.

[THESO]
Players
1,120 posts
15,198 battles

@El2aZeR

I did some similar testing now to verify your results. I took a T5 Jianwei with a vanilla captain, which also only has contiuous damage AA, against a Hosho. The problem with testing is, that the AA sector-re-enforcement duration is rather short, so even minimal changes in the tesing environment will change total damage registered. Planes maybe enter some immunity zone or already be on other side of the ship otherwise.

The best I could come up with was running almost straight away at full speed from the incoming rocket plane squadron. Thus you ensure you apply the whole duration of the AA-buff on a squadron still on approach. Also, as @Panocekdid, I enabled the buff at 2.7 km, so the initial burst would not be taking into account.

My Jianwei did 292 plane damage without sector-re-enforcement and 359 with it. That is equivalent to a 23% buff.

So I would conclude:

1. The re-enforcement works.

2. It does not apply a flat increase of 35%, as was hypothesized

3. The 23% buff is likely equal to a gradual increase of AA damage. Since the sector was enabled maybe a second too early to avoid the intial burst, the value is slightly biased and teh buff is in reality lower.

4. Everything seems as advertised, only the visuals are broken.

• Cool 1

Players
8,097 posts
8,919 battles
4 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

Clemson on Hermes RFs first approach: 103 damage

Clemson on Hermes RFs first approach with SR: 112 damage (probably more due to my timing with shutting off the AA or maybe the bot aimed differently than SR actually doing sth)

Reveal hidden contents

XrwJH4M.png

rglwLE9.png

On a sidenote, DFAA DPS increase actually works as intended, turning Yubari 160 close range DPS to 240 close range DPS.

Don't you also deal an initial damage on the planes based in squad hp?

Players
6,773 posts
245 battles
10 minutes ago, Cagliostro_chan said:

Don't you also deal an initial damage on the planes based in squad hp?

Probs that and if the planes are attacking or not.