Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
black_falcon120

A few Questions

27 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
1,146 posts
3,060 battles

Hi All,

I've been playing for a while, and i've had a couple of questions being built up, can anyone answer them? Before anyone judges any of these, i'm largely a CV main nowadays, playing roughly 50% of games in my enterprise.

1, When in a division, is there a way of seeing if you division mate has gone back to port, to avoid a guessing game?

2. I'm still forgetting to spec my commanders, is there a way of finding a list of what to spec each ship.

3. I've just got a dunkerque in the anniversary t6 lootbox, i have a JB is there a reason I should ever play it? I've heard it's a bit lackluster compared to other t6 ships.

4. I'm 6 stars off getting halsey, where should i put him?  I play a lot of CVs, but i also have a DM and a Worcester

5. Can i find a concise list of the pros and cons of each line somewhere, i'm not sure which line to go up next.

6. Does anyone know where i can get a CV replay looked at?  I'm not sure how i can improve.

7. i was looking at the Pan Asian DD line, is it any good, i never see any of them around.

8. I have 30k gold on hand, i'm holding onto it for the 50% discount on prem time for the next few years, is there anything else which i should be looking at? I've got three tier 9 premiums.

9. As a carrier main, should i be scared of submarines release?

• Cool 1

[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles
7 minutes ago, black_falcon120 said:

playing roughly 50% of games in my enterprise.

BURN HIM!!! :Smile_izmena:

8 minutes ago, black_falcon120 said:

1, When in a division, is there a way of seeing if you division mate has gone back to port, to avoid a guessing game?

seeing? not that I know of... but you could always ask them... and even if you're not on voice (which I assume you're not, otherwise the question would be quite pointless^^), you should be able to just agree to say "going to port" or "I wanna watch this" when you're both dead... you know, basic human communications^^

9 minutes ago, black_falcon120 said:

2. I'm still forgetting to spec my commanders, is there a way of finding a list of what to spec each ship.

huh? Not sure what you're asking here? I seem to recall shipcomrade had a collection of popular builds or some such, no idea whether that still exists and is up to date

11 minutes ago, black_falcon120 said:

3. I've just got a dunkerque in the anniversary t6 lootbox, i have a JB is there a reason I should ever play it? I've heard it's a bit lackluster compared to other t6 ships.

how should we tell you? How would we know whether you enjoy mid or high tier gameplay more? Operations are a thing at T6 though...

12 minutes ago, black_falcon120 said:

4. I'm 6 stars off getting halsey, where should i put him?  I play a lot of CVs, but i also have a DM and a Worcester

Des Memes all day every day. Both EL and EM are quite useful on that.

14 minutes ago, black_falcon120 said:

5. Can i find a concise list of the pros and cons of each line somewhere, i'm not sure which line to go up next.

forum search? might have to combine a few threads, but...

6. Does anyone know where i can get a CV replay looked at?  I'm not sure how i can improve.

these here forums...

15 minutes ago, black_falcon120 said:

7. i was looking at the Pan Asian DD line, is it any good, i never see any of them around.

varies from ship to ship, like with any other line I guess. The T10 is trash though. Generally somewhat similar to the USN DDs, just with much less AA but deepwater torps, and a different style of smoke.

16 minutes ago, black_falcon120 said:

8. I have 30k gold on hand, i'm holding onto it for the 50% discount on prem time for the next few years, is there anything else which i should be looking at? I've got three tier 9 premiums.

dunno... take a peek at the premiums available in the armoury, something might tickle your fancy... and you probably want to keep some on hand in case WG decides to revamp captain skills or the game again without a free respec (or if you miss said free respec)

17 minutes ago, black_falcon120 said:

depends on who you ask - some say it'll kill the game outright, so that'd probably count as something to be afraid of... :Smile_teethhappy:

On a more serious note - pointless speculating about that at this early stage since we know jack squat about the balancing (and even what we know about the mechanics may well change completely at any time)

• Cool 2

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
4,046 posts
13 minutes ago, black_falcon120 said:

No.

13 minutes ago, black_falcon120 said:

There are some suggestions in the wiki

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Warships

If your only goal is to play as high a tier of ships as possible, then probably not.

It's a fun ship though.

See the wiki link above and look at the ships.

You post it to the forums as a file attachment and ask for advice.

They are different and deepwater torps are deadly due to how late they are being spotted.

As they are a mixture of various nations DDs they have a wide spectrum in their playstyle.

18 minutes ago, black_falcon120 said:

No one can make that choice for you.

19 minutes ago, black_falcon120 said:

No one knows yet.

• Cool 1

[ROT8]
Players
2,730 posts
26 minutes ago, black_falcon120 said:

Hi All,

I've been playing for a while, and i've had a couple of questions being built up, can anyone answer them? Before anyone judges any of these, i'm largely a CV main nowadays, playing roughly 50% of games in my enterprise.

50%? are you sure you didn't mean 5% ? :cap_book:

Players
6,356 posts
10,582 battles
26 minutes ago, black_falcon120 said:

I wouldnt buy / have more then 1 year premium account. Its pretty much 100% guarenteed, that atleast one per year you´ll get a chance to get some cheap premium time. Plus you might have access to premium time through other means, like supercontainers / missions or even clan wars at some point. So rather invest in a ship, because that gives you fun right away. There are a lot of really good ships available, but it all comes down to what you like to play. I enjoy DDs recently so T-61 is a must have in my book. But yea, thats my personal opinion.

Beta Tester
1,146 posts
3,060 battles
20 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

BURN HIM!!! :Smile_izmena:

seeing? not that I know of... but you could always ask them... and even if you're not on voice (which I assume you're not, otherwise the question would be quite pointless^^), you should be able to just agree to say "going to port" or "I wanna watch this" when you're both dead... you know, basic human communications^^

huh? Not sure what you're asking here? I seem to recall shipcomrade had a collection of popular builds or some such, no idea whether that still exists and is up to date

how should we tell you? How would we know whether you enjoy mid or high tier gameplay more? Operations are a thing at T6 though...

Des Memes all day every day. Both EL and EM are quite useful on that.

forum search? might have to combine a few threads, but...

these here forums...

varies from ship to ship, like with any other line I guess. The T10 is trash though. Generally somewhat similar to the USN DDs, just with much less AA but deepwater torps, and a different style of smoke.

dunno... take a peek at the premiums available in the armoury, something might tickle your fancy... and you probably want to keep some on hand in case WG decides to revamp captain skills or the game again without a free respec (or if you miss said free respec)

depends on who you ask - some say it'll kill the game outright, so that'd probably count as something to be afraid of... :Smile_teethhappy:

On a more serious note - pointless speculating about that at this early stage since we know jack squat about the balancing (and even what we know about the mechanics may well change completely at any time)

1. thank you

2. oh do you have alink?

3. I thought the Dunkerque was a bad t6? and the JB was a excellent t9, i generally like t9, but when i played a co op game to get the anniversary camos, i didn't like the dispersion, was that jsut me? she feels like the jb w/o speed boost or reoad booster

4. TY, i'll leave my cap unspecced until i get halsey

5. it's about 4/5 threads to get an idea of each line, so for instance i'm looking at french vs russian cruisers vs jap crruisers vs brid DDs, how that's probably an hour of foruming...

6. people don't seem to like Enty replays....

7. if the t10 is trash, are there any standout lower tiers?

8. kk, i have the enty, sims, alaska, JB, mushy and texas, pef and silvers.  so i'm not feeling short of prem ships atm...

9. ah ok its pointless to worry.

btw was there a WG event in the UK i missed? I was afk for a month, and there seemed to be a lot of RL events going on.

Beta Tester
1,146 posts
3,060 battles
20 minutes ago, Egoleter said:

If your only goal is to play as high a tier of ships as possible, then probably not.

It's a fun ship though.

Ok, she seemed to make the PEF look like a sniper when i played her though, how is she more fun than JB?

10 minutes ago, ForlornSailor said:

I wouldnt buy / have more then 1 year premium account. Its pretty much 100% guarenteed, that atleast one per year you´ll get a chance to get some cheap premium time. Plus you might have access to premium time through other means, like supercontainers / missions or even clan wars at some point. So rather invest in a ship, because that gives you fun right away. There are a lot of really good ships available, but it all comes down to what you like to play. I enjoy DDs recently so T-61 is a must have in my book. But yea, thats my personal opinion.

ah ok, i don't plan to spend more money in the near term, £110 is about triple what i've spent on any other game. so i might just hold onto it, no ships really interest me atm.  i'm having too much fun with the enty.

13 minutes ago, bushwacker001 said:

50%? are you sure you didn't mean 5% ? :cap_book:

I've been playing a lot of other ships to get the t6 crate, and playing the enty a lot in ranked. so it might look like that. plus i've been farming the snowflakes from the anniversary event.

[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles

2. oh do you have alink?

having now checked, the shipcomrade one hasnt been updated at least since the rework hit so that may not be such a great ressource anymore...

3. I thought the Dunkerque was a bad t6? and the JB was a excellent t9, i generally like t9, but when i played a co op game to get the anniversary camos, i didn't like the dispersion, was that jsut me? she feels like the jb w/o speed boost or reoad booster

Dunkerque is not one of the strongest T6s, that's probably true... but there's nothing quite like her at T6 either (Nelson at 7 also gets the all-forward turret layout albeit cant fire everything straight ahead, and then there's of course the literal successors to the Dunkerque class with Richelieu and Jean Bart. So small wonder those two are just straight up better...^^

eh... who knows, maybe @El2aZeR is willing to give it a go? one of the absolute top guys in that regard... €dit: ah, guess I'm a slowpoke with that idea:Smile_teethhappy: well, you couldnt be in better hands!

7. if the t10 is trash, are there any standout lower tiers?

the T4 is pretty darn good, the T7 looks strong but I somehow failed hard in it, and the T9 is a slightly different Fletcher (differences as mentioned above) so that can't help but be a really really good boat.

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
13,792 posts
19,501 battles

Ah, whoops. I actually downloaded your replay and then totally forgot about it.

I'll make sure to do that tomorrow. No time today sadly.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,146 posts
3,060 battles
12 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

having now checked, the shipcomrade one hasnt been updated at least since the rework hit so that may not be such a great ressource anymore...

Dunkerque is not one of the strongest T6s, that's probably true... but there's nothing quite like her at T6 either (Nelson at 7 also gets the all-forward turret layout albeit cant fire everything straight ahead, and then there's of course the literal successors to the Dunkerque class with Richelieu and Jean Bart. So small wonder those two are just straight up better...^^

the T4 is pretty darn good, the T7 looks strong but I somehow failed hard in it, and the T9 is a slightly different Fletcher (differences as mentioned above) so that can't help but be a really really good boat.

Why is the Dunkerque unique?  I read LWM's review, but it sounded like a description of a worse JB..

I FXPed the t5, as i wanted it to farm the t6 container.... it seemed kind of weak, so i was wondering if it got any better, i should start a new line, i finished both us cruiser lines and the CV line, so i should probably find a new line...

[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles
8 minutes ago, black_falcon120 said:

Why is the Dunkerque unique?  I read LWM's review, but it sounded like a description of a worse JB..

of course it is a worse JB - it's three tiers lower... Its the preceding class, and JB itself is pretty much a fantasy upgrade of the Richelieu class anyway. It's unique in the context of its tier, which translates into vastly different matches (and maps, for that matter... and opponents...)

11 minutes ago, black_falcon120 said:

I FXPed the t5, as i wanted it to farm the t6 container.... it seemed kind of weak, so i was wondering if it got any better, i should start a new line, i finished both us cruiser lines and the CV line, so i should probably find a new line...

i cant honestly recommend the PA DDs as a line to go up these days... there are some good ships, and there are some stinkers, but overall they're not terribly competitive these days.

Have you tried some of the French lines? Those have some really fun and interesting ships, epsecially the BB line. Or RU DDs.

Beta Tester
1,146 posts
3,060 battles
Just now, Tyrendian89 said:

of course it is a worse JB - it's three tiers lower... Its the preceding class, and JB itself is pretty much a fantasy upgrade of the Richelieu class anyway. It's unique in the context of its tier, which translates into vastly different matches (and maps, for that matter... and opponents...)

i cant honestly recommend the PA DDs as a line to go up these days... there are some good ships, and there are some stinkers, but overall they're not terribly competitive these days.

Have you tried some of the French lines? Those have some really fun and interesting ships, epsecially the BB line. Or RU DDs.

Ah ok, the JB seemed to 'feel' much more powerful even at its own tier, and be more accurate, I'll try it in a random battle sometime. btw JB did exist:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_battleship_Jean_Bart_(1940) 

Ah ok, thank you, I enjoy the JB, but I have sort of had enough of the BBs for a while farming the credits for the DM in my Musashi.  I do have the t6 FR BB from the Christmas event. 

I have the permacamos for French cruisers, are they any good? 

[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles
2 minutes ago, black_falcon120 said:

Ah ok, the JB seemed to 'feel' much more powerful even at its own tier, and be more accurate, I'll try it in a random battle sometime. btw JB did exist:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_battleship_Jean_Bart_(1940) 

weeeeeell, not in the period the game is supposed to be about (shove off Sverdlovs, Friesland etc lol)... :Smile_teethhappy:

4 minutes ago, black_falcon120 said:

Ah ok, thank you, I enjoy the JB, but I have sort of had enough of the BBs for a while farming the credits for the DM in my Musashi.  I do have the t6 FR BB from the Christmas event. 

fair enough :Smile_teethhappy: And you're at the perfect starting point - the low tier ones are pretty dreadful, but the line starts to get good with Normandie at T6. So you may as well keep that in the back of your mind and come back to it in a month or three :Smile_Default:

6 minutes ago, black_falcon120 said:

I have the permacamos for French cruisers, are they any good? 

They're kind of the masters of long-range HE kiting gameplay - dont have the concealment and torpedo power of the IJN cruisers, but get speedboost and pretty trolly spaced armour to compensate. And triple sets of 9km torpedoes that can be fun occasionally. And the Main Battery Reload Booster that you're familiar with from the JB, with some tweaks on the numbers, starting at T6. Pretty strong line overall, very consistent in the gameplay they're good at - so if you like that gameplay, you'll do okay with every ship in there.

Beta Tester
1,146 posts
3,060 battles
2 hours ago, Tyrendian89 said:

weeeeeell, not in the period the game is supposed to be about (shove off Sverdlovs, Friesland etc lol)... :Smile_teethhappy:

fair enough :Smile_teethhappy: And you're at the perfect starting point - the low tier ones are pretty dreadful, but the line starts to get good with Normandie at T6. So you may as well keep that in the back of your mind and come back to it in a month or three :Smile_Default:

They're kind of the masters of long-range HE kiting gameplay - dont have the concealment and torpedo power of the IJN cruisers, but get speedboost and pretty trolly spaced armour to compensate. And triple sets of 9km torpedoes that can be fun occasionally. And the Main Battery Reload Booster that you're familiar with from the JB, with some tweaks on the numbers, starting at T6. Pretty strong line overall, very consistent in the gameplay they're good at - so if you like that gameplay, you'll do okay with every ship in there.

But she was meant to be completed by 1945, and she was completed after the war. 

Oh nice, I might look into advancing that line at some point.  ATM I'm sort of disenchanted with the Edinburgh at t8 on the UK CL line. 

Ah is that fun?  how are they compared to USSR/German cruisers? 

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
13,792 posts
19,501 battles

Alrighty, so:

- you're taking too long to attack. Spawn a fighter for spotting, your RFs in this kind of MM are expendable as there are no DDs around. Hit the Cleve or Charles with them

- there is generally no need to check where the enemy CV is, you can usually tell by the direction enemy planes are coming in

- I would've targeted the Massachusetts with torps, he's putting far more pressure on your team than the enemy ships going B

- you should've kept running even if it doesn't win you the match anymore since saving a star is still a possibility

Generally speaking your team crumbled way too fast to do much about the match outcome.

[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles
15 hours ago, black_falcon120 said:

But she was meant to be completed by 1945, and she was completed after the war. 

if we go by "was meant to", the RU BB line is actually kinda fine... :Smile_sceptic:

15 hours ago, black_falcon120 said:

Ah is that fun?  how are they compared to USSR/German cruisers? 

I can't very well tell you whether you find that playstyle fun, can I? :Smile_teethhappy: I do like it, but it does at times run into the problem of not necessarily influencing the match all that much becaues while you do a decent chunk of HE damage to BBs, you're rather poor at killing DDs (especially on your own).

They're pretty similar to the Germans - they lack the improved HE pen, very high HP and special Hydro, but gain a lot of speed in return as well as MBRB which can be quite useful at times. Armour wise they're pretty comparable overall I'd say, both can be quite trolly when angled.

Until T7 the Russkies do also have that longer-range spammy playstyle, just with 6" guns and worse protection. Chappy and Donskoi have their radar to think of, so not necessarily that similar in playstyle, and Moskva's a supercruiser anyway...

Beta Tester
1,146 posts
3,060 battles
5 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

Alrighty, so:

- you're taking too long to attack. Spawn a fighter for spotting, your RFs in this kind of MM are expendable as there are no DDs around. Hit the Cleve or Charles with them

- there is generally no need to check where the enemy CV is, you can usually tell by the direction enemy planes are coming in

- I would've targeted the Massachusetts with torps, he's putting far more pressure on your team than the enemy ships going B

- you should've kept running even if it doesn't win you the match anymore since saving a star is still a possibility

Generally speaking your team crumbled way too fast to do much about the match outcome.

Thank you, I do find I’m winning more than I’m losing, so that’s usually a good sign.  Was my aiming ok?  Also was I missing any tricks?

isnt it worth it to conserve planes in the early game until the blob has broken up? I usually find in the first few minutes any strikes are not worth it so I may as well keep the enemy spotted? (Even if I had used the RFs, I would have lost too many DBs to the second strike?)

thank you for the other advice, I’ll have another look at the replay when I get back :)

[S-O-M]
Players
657 posts
On 10/8/2019 at 3:33 PM, black_falcon120 said:

Hi All,

7) Pan Asian DD’s- I can only mention Fushun (T6) and Gadjah (T7), they are fantastic ships imho better than RN and US equivalents BUT they are hampered by deep water torps which do

not touch DD’s.  The Anshan T6 prem does have normal torps

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,146 posts
3,060 battles
5 hours ago, Tyrendian89 said:

if we go by "was meant to", the RU BB line is actually kinda fine... :Smile_sceptic:

I can't very well tell you whether you find that playstyle fun, can I? :Smile_teethhappy: I do like it, but it does at times run into the problem of not necessarily influencing the match all that much becaues while you do a decent chunk of HE damage to BBs, you're rather poor at killing DDs (especially on your own).

They're pretty similar to the Germans - they lack the improved HE pen, very high HP and special Hydro, but gain a lot of speed in return as well as MBRB which can be quite useful at times. Armour wise they're pretty comparable overall I'd say, both can be quite trolly when angled.

Until T7 the Russkies do also have that longer-range spammy playstyle, just with 6" guns and worse protection. Chappy and Donskoi have their radar to think of, so not necessarily that similar in playstyle, and Moskva's a supercruiser anyway...

Ah ok thank you.  Just curious what are UK DDs like?

btw the JB was in RL rowed accross the med for most of the war with only one turret, which was later removed to fix the richeleau 

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
13,792 posts
19,501 battles
1 hour ago, black_falcon120 said:

Was my aiming ok?  Also was I missing any tricks?

Seemed to be all fine in this regard.

1 hour ago, black_falcon120 said:

isnt it worth it to conserve planes in the early game until the blob has broken up? I usually find in the first few minutes any strikes are not worth it so I may as well keep the enemy spotted? (Even if I had used the RFs, I would have lost too many DBs to the second strike?)

Any early game damage you can deal is valuable, especially if it is permanent.

This is where squad shortening comes in. If you know you're gonna lose all planes, shortening your squad accordingly will help a lot to extend your reserves.

DBs can also slingshot to attack targets covered by a lot of AA.

RF losses in Enterprise are often negligible especially when there are no DDs around. You get almost 50 of these per match.

Beta Tester
1,146 posts
3,060 battles
46 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Seemed to be all fine in this regard.

Any early game damage you can deal is valuable, especially if it is permanent.

This is where squad shortening comes in. If you know you're gonna lose all planes, shortening your squad accordingly will help a lot to extend your reserves.

DBs can also slingshot to attack targets covered by a lot of AA.

RF losses in Enterprise are often negligible especially when there are no DDs around. You get almost 50 of these per match.

Ah thank you.  That makes sense, btw what are the ranges to slingshot from?

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
13,792 posts
19,501 battles
33 minutes ago, black_falcon120 said:

btw what are the ranges to slingshot from?

Depending on whether you're boosting 5.5 to 7km.

[POI--]
Players
1,145 posts
9,566 battles
On 10/8/2019 at 4:33 PM, black_falcon120 said:

nope

You can go to the wiki and look for it, but keep in mind that most of the "newer" ships are not completed and most of the skilltrees are outdated.

If you are in a battle and some ship looks interesting just watch some videos about it or look here in the forums for the ship threads.

Must be a reason why you never see them right ? I have the T10 and no do not play it. The entire line is just a copy paste of other nations with the exception that you have the deep-water torpedos that are kinda meh. Also the T10 got nerfed into eternity that it is just trash.

If you are playing this game alot and have fun with it wait for the christmas sales, there is usual a good 360d Premium Account discount.

Beta Tester
1,146 posts
3,060 battles
1 minute ago, El2aZeR said:

Depending on whether you're boosting 5.5 to 7km.

5.5 if you're not boosting, 7km if you are?  And then a bit of variance If he's moving away/towards you? (last question, I promise)

Sign in to follow this