You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.
The_EURL_Guy

Italian Cruisers: the Ships’ History

16 comments in this topic

Players
33 posts

I am very interested in these new ships. Also, reading that the later ones were designs for the Spanish fleet, will we see them as Spaniards as we have the Argentinian Nueve de Julio conversion from the American Boise?

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
126 posts
7,686 battles

Tier 4 name is wrong, should be Alberto Da Giussano.   

• Cool 1

[T-N-T]
Players
3,458 posts
15,441 battles

[...] our aim is to provide you with a detailed overview of every cruiser in the new branch!

Then:

Tier X Venezia

A hypothetical development of the Italian heavy cruisers which pushed towards a further increase in the number of 203 mm main battery guns.

Yup, that is a really detailed overview. And the T9 is really not much better...

• Funny 1

[FAILS]
Players
408 posts
17,990 battles
32 minutes ago, Toivia said:

Then:

Yup, that is a really detailed overview. And the T9 is really not much better...

What do you expect of completely fictional ships? The tier 8 is at least paper, but 9 and 10 are pure WG fantasy, just like with the German cruisers. Could have used a 254 mm armed cruiser design instead.

[T-N-T]
Players
3,458 posts
15,441 battles

Well I would have expected some reasoning as to why they picked a 15 gun design, particularly since they happened to preface the article with the intent to detail every cruiser in the branch.

I mean sure, when the ships have no history and apparently WG cannot even explain why it made them in their particular shape, then by all means... But don't try to lure me into reading thinking there will be actual information.

[ITA_5]
Players
345 posts
9,920 battles
18 ore fa, Zuxx ha scritto:

Tier 4 name is wrong, should be Alberto Da Giussano.   

TRUE!

is a preposition "da" -in english is from- (motion from place) wich in latin is a, ab, e, ex, de + ablative. The original name is Albertus de Gluxano which translated into Italian is Alberto da Giussano There is no historical figure in Italy, even if it is as imaginative as this one (the true one was Guido da Landriano) with the name of Alberto DI Giussano, but only one whose name is Alberto DA Giussano.

Anyway I see that in the official webpage of the Historics Italian navy this ship (light Cruiser) was named Albero di Giussano, so I think that despite the character's name, the Italian Navy has called the ship differently. WG is in right in this case. No correction needed. Alberto di Giussano (light Cruiser 1928 - 1931) is correct.

http://www.marina.difesa.it/noi-siamo-la-marina/mezzi/mezzi-storici/Pagine/ABCD/da_giussano.aspx

[HOO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,240 posts
7 hours ago, Toivia said:

Well I would have expected some reasoning as to why they picked a 15 gun design, particularly since they happened to preface the article with the intent to detail every cruiser in the branch.

Because glorious CCCP naval bureau worked together with adequate Italian companies to assist in designing and building glorious surface ships, we have picked a 15-gun design for the high tier cruisers of Italy, in order that we can unearth a 25-gun design for our T10 Russian light cruiser line, for which we found erased pencilmark sketches on a coloured piece of paper in our Sekrit Dokumensh without being accused of bias or making things up on the back of a napkin. The piece of paper was stamped with "Preschool No.3: Tomsk Oblast", but we have no reasons to believe it was drawn up by a toddler.

• Funny 3

[VLOOT]
Players
95 posts
13,411 battles

Well basically a fleet of rusty useless buckets are enteriong the game. It seems to me, that if you want to get out of a battle quickly you sail such a barrel.

• Boring 1

[R3B3L]
Players
777 posts
26,538 battles
On 10/8/2019 at 9:46 PM, BruceRKF said:

Could have used a 254 mm armed cruiser design instead.

At some point we will need a T9/T10 freemium, the 254mm design would be a good candidate for it.

Players
19 posts
2,624 battles
13 ore fa, Toxoplasmosi ha scritto:

TRUE!

is a preposition "da" -in english is from- (motion from place) wich in latin is a, ab, e, ex, de + ablative. The original name is Albertus de Gluxano which translated into Italian is Alberto da Giussano There is no historical figure in Italy, even if it is as imaginative as this one (the true one was Guido da Landriano) with the name of Alberto DI Giussano, but only one whose name is Alberto DA Giussano.

Anyway I see that in the official webpage of the Historics Italian navy this ship (light Cruiser) was named Albero di Giussano, so I think that despite the character's name, the Italian Navy has called the ship differently. WG is in right in this case. No correction needed. Alberto di Giussano (light Cruiser 1928 - 1931) is correct.

http://www.marina.difesa.it/noi-siamo-la-marina/mezzi/mezzi-storici/Pagine/ABCD/da_giussano.aspx

well, on the website that you linked, there is written both Alberto di Giussano and Alberto Da Giussano.

on wikipedia, same thing: in the Italian page of wikipedia it's Alberto di Giussano, in the English one it's Alberto da Giussano. And after all, it's just one letter that differ between the two. Not the biggest of problems. I personally think that Zara having torpedo launchers is a bigger problem.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[FAILS]
Players
408 posts
17,990 battles
2 hours ago, VIadoCro said:

At some point we will need a T9/T10 freemium, the 254mm design would be a good candidate for it.

Maybe, but that would mean she would have significantly smaller guns than the other large cruisers (305/310/380 mm).

I was just hoping to get something like Henri and Moskva: not quite as fast as Henri and not quite as tanky as Moskva, but in between (and with slightly bigger guns). Would have made a nice tier 10, imo.

[R3B3L]
Players
777 posts
26,538 battles
3 hours ago, BruceRKF said:

significantly smaller guns than the other large cruisers

Which still should work fine. See BBs: a T7 with 280mm (Scharn) and a T10 with 380mm (Bourgogne).

Small caliber can be balanced by rof or bog (box o´ gimmicks).

[S-M-V]
Players
80 posts
8,476 battles

Cardano, Capitani Romani, Etna, auxiliary cruiser Ramb I... And I pulled that from WIKIPEDIA... You could put them in T4-5-6 slots, Trento could be tier 7-8, Zara tier 8-9 and like there aint some PAPER ships that You could put on tier 9-10, but had to be fictional like Roon or idk.. Cmon... 

Just like Ruskis.. all SF

[T-N-T]
Players
3,458 posts
15,441 battles
3 hours ago, PiXiE93 said:

Cardano, Capitani Romani, Etna, auxiliary cruiser Ramb I... And I pulled that from WIKIPEDIA... You could put them in T4-5-6 slots, Trento could be tier 7-8, Zara tier 8-9 and like there aint some PAPER ships that You could put on tier 9-10, but had to be fictional like Roon or idk.. Cmon... 

Just like Ruskis.. all SF

Well, Capitani Romani is a DD as per WG, so... Anyway, it's too modern to be put at such a low tier.

Also, Zara at T8-9? So far it doesn't seem particularly good even at T7 and that is with torpedoes she afaik shouldn't even have.

[S-M-V]
Players
80 posts
8,476 battles
20 hours ago, Toivia said:

Well, Capitani Romani is a DD as per WG, so... Anyway, it's too modern to be put at such a low tier.

Also, Zara at T8-9? So far it doesn't seem particularly good even at T7 and that is with torpedoes she afaik shouldn't even have.

Yeah mate, as I told, I just pulled that from Wiki, I guess that Wargamings historians have much bigger acces to history books, papers, plans where they could pull out some plans for T9-10 and not make them themselves.

(at least I saw somewhere that Wargaming did T9-10 themselves as Roon)

But dont get me wrong... I am still going to play them..  :cap_cool:

• Cool 1