You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Sir_Sinksalot

Hey Devs, how about some crew on the ships while in port?

24 comments in this topic

Players
552 posts
3,458 battles

Just a little request(or maybe big lol)

I can appreciate why, just like WoT, there are no crew featured on these war machines during battles so it doesn't get all blood and guts etc but I would really like to get a proper gauge for the scale of these ships so would really like to see a few crew walking around the decks and doing a few checks on guns and torps etc while we are in port and looking through our ship collections.

Some crew would also just add a nice animation and atmosphere too. There's something a bit odd and almost depressing about a ship that's just floating there without a crew along with being a bit strange how a warship would be just left sit unguarded like that lol. 

• Cool 7

[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles

while I would kinda like that as well, the port is already so incredibly abysmal performance wise (single most hardware intensive part of the game for some bloody reason) that I dont want to imagine what a sheetshow that would be...

• Cool 3

[CAIN]
Players
4,361 posts
18,437 battles

WG was at some point playing with a crew on deck, iirc sometime after the Missouri release and Seagal collab.

There's a vid somewhere, where the crew is salutung their superior and other shenanigans. 

I guess it was a test to see if it works and how much of a performance drain it was. 

[CAIN]
Players
4,361 posts
18,437 battles
8 minutes ago, Sir_Sinksalot said:

Just a little request(or maybe big lol)

I can appreciate why, just like WoT, there are no crew featured on these war machines during battles so it doesn't get all blood and guts etc but I would really like to get a proper gauge for the scale of these ships so would really like to see a few crew walking around the decks and doing a few checks on guns and torps etc while we are in port and looking through our ship collections.

Some crew would also just add a nice animation and atmosphere too. There's something a bit odd and almost depressing about a ship that's just floating there without a crew along with being a bit strange how a warship would be just left sit unguarded like that lol. 

While we wait for that feature, you might as well buy a Unsinkable Sam camo.

You'd have at least a cat and pets are known to help with depression.

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
4,046 posts

Planned but never implemented.

We have Sam. We once had a "nameless" cook on the Missouri. We also had Captain BadAdvice during the bathtub battles.

It remains a mystery if we will ever see this actually implemented into the game ...

• Cool 3

Players
462 posts
6,868 battles

I like the Idea. But honestly I don't know if it would be so wise considering the load on the GPU while idling in port currently.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
18,781 posts
6,105 battles
28 minutes ago, Egoleter said:

We once had a "nameless" cook on the Missouri.

Don't tease those who don't know, just tell em it's Steve

thumb_teve-eagu-out-for-just-fish-photos

As to the idea, I really like it. Show normal maintenance tasks being performed, like the torpedo polishing, but this time I want my Dasha captain to do it. 

• Funny 3

Beta Tester
2,791 posts
7,088 battles
46 minutes ago, Sturmtiger_304 said:

Probably never, WG doesn't want to lose it's PG friendly rating.

I dont think they would loose the PG rating by having crewmembers strolling along the deck in port, only if they would be in battle ie having guts, heads flying around after a HE hit or shoving crewmembers into the barrels shooting them at other ships, you know the spicy graphical stuff. :cap_tea:

[XTREM]
[XTREM]
Players
1,581 posts
13,502 battles

Personally I don't really mind either way in this case. Rather, there is something else that has been triggering me since day 1. Something huge... 

Why are my anchors hoisted if I'm not moored to anything!?

• Cool 3
  • Funny 5

Beta Tester
2,791 posts
7,088 battles
20 minutes ago, Mr_Wolfclaw said:

Don't you think my GPU usage in port is high enough already with poor optimised coding ?

You mean WG coding? 

bf77fb4a936a56727721f23fe6ce3e0a.jpg.54b7f2fd17a67fd3c9b50a1b798900c8.jpg

:Smile_trollface:

Edited by Major_Damage225
  • Funny 3

[GURKA]
Players
5,198 posts
10,424 battles
3 hours ago, Egoleter said:

We have Sam. We once had a "nameless" cook on the Missouri. We also had Captain BadAdvice during the bathtub battles.

It remains a mystery if we will ever see this actually implemented into the game ...

Looks cool, but could imagine, that it costs some resources. All the models and every model have to be done handish for every ship

Players
9,829 posts
11,528 battles
31 minutes ago, Mr_Wolfclaw said:

Don't you think my GPU usage in port is high enough already with poor optimised coding ?

You mean background crypto miner?:cap_hmm:

Players
552 posts
3,458 battles
15 hours ago, Egoleter said:

Looks great and highlights my point, it give these somewhat soulless looking boats floating in port a bit of life, a bit of character but also scale. I had no idea a battleships was THAT big tbh, with some ships the crew have to lower their heads and almost squeeze out the door openings whereas with the Bismarck class featured in that vid the crew can comfortably walk through the large door openings with room to spare and just wouldn't have know that without the crew there. 

Would actually make a really nice screensaver too, to just leave the game running and after 2-3 minutes of inactivity, the scroll bars and options etc just fade out until the mouse is moved again when ready to resume activity. Maybe I'm a bit odd that way, it's the same with WoT, I will spend some time just looking around the ships and tanks, not just blast from one battle to the next as fast as possible. I much prefer the ships settings though, there's something pleasant and chill about sea ports, the non-war zone themed ones obviously! They're just a nice setting and somewhat relaxing. Not sure why they'd be demanding on the pc since there really isn't a great deal of activity going on in them though, and I struggle to grasp how a 2 or 3 crew doing a few very limited chores like loading the ship or working on a gun etc would add much more demand.

• Cool 1

Players
9,829 posts
11,528 battles
25 minutes ago, Sir_Sinksalot said:

Looks great and highlights my point, it give these somewhat soulless looking boats floating in port a bit of life, a bit of character but also scale. I had no idea a battleships was THAT big tbh, with some ships the crew have to lower their heads and almost squeeze out the door openings whereas with the Bismarck class featured in that vid the crew can comfortably walk through the large door openings with room to spare and just wouldn't have know that without the crew there. 

Would actually make a really nice screensaver too, to just leave the game running and after 2-3 minutes of inactivity, the scroll bars and options etc just fade out until the mouse is moved again when ready to resume activity. Maybe I'm a bit odd that way, it's the same with WoT, I will spend some time just looking around the ships and tanks, not just blast from one battle to the next as fast as possible. I much prefer the ships settings though, there's something pleasant and chill about sea ports, the non-war zone themed ones obviously! They're just a nice setting and somewhat relaxing. Not sure why they'd be demanding on the pc since there really isn't a great deal of activity going on in them though, and I struggle to grasp how a 2 or 3 crew doing a few very limited chores like loading the ship or working on a gun etc would add much more demand.

Keep in mind Wargaming is company first and foremost, with single goal being making money. Animated crew in port would be nice eye candy, but effort needed from animators would be tremendous for objectively barely noticeable gain. Even more so as for PEGI/ESRB/whatever reasons, you wouldn't have crew in battle.

IF anything, such crew would happen as part of ship specific skin, just like Missouri cook or cat on Bismarck/Ark/Cossack skins. And very unlikely to be obtainable for free:Smile_smile:

[BOBS3]
Players
1,009 posts
18,603 battles
17 hours ago, Miragetank90 said:

Personally I don't really mind either way in this case. Rather, there is something else that has been triggering me since day 1. Something huge... 

Why are my anchors hoisted if I'm not moored to anything!?

Has me worried too. 

Therefore the ship is either arriving in or departing port. How about having the crew manning the sides in some form of 'Procedure Alpha' and a line handling party forward?

Crew manning the sides isn't going to take up too many processor cycles, and the line handling party could be animated with little movement as they could be 'standing by', thereby reducing loading requirements.

What do you think? 

Players
552 posts
3,458 battles
2 hours ago, Cambera_1 said:

Has me worried too. 

Therefore the ship is either arriving in or departing port. How about having the crew manning the sides in some form of 'Procedure Alpha' and a line handling party forward?

Crew manning the sides isn't going to take up too many processor cycles, and the line handling party could be animated with little movement as they could be 'standing by', thereby reducing loading requirements.

What do you think? 

Well, as they currently are, they're just cut loose and adrift.

Captain Takamuri? You there bro? you... on board or... running that ship all by yourself? You dead? Dude.. yo Taka!.. a forget it he's probably hit the saki again. Explains why he forgot to tie the ship onto the pier. Look at it, just bobbing away there all abandoned and neglected it's damn shame I tellz ya! and why are all the windows on the bridge painted grey too? Don't they need to like... see out?:Smile-_tongue: I'm starting to think this IS a model pew pew ship. Without a few crew working away on it, it might as well be.

7AuUexr.jpg

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
4,046 posts
16 minutes ago, black_falcon120 said:

wasnt it something to do with age ratings?

That's for crews in battles.

In port no one harms anyone. There is no visible violence.