You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
natswright

Ranked sprint feels broken

41 comments in this topic

[WITCH]
Players
139 posts
4,408 battles

I have an idea to improve ranked, but first let me go over my experience this time around with "sprint"

So, while playing Ranked Sprint,I've been....

• Rammed out of my smoke, by friendly ships
  • torpedo'd by friendly's
  • hit by friendly fire, by ships cramming themselves into my smoke and firing to close
  • had ships ram on full health, when the game is far from won
  • loose more often than not.

Now I'm not a great player, nor am I a bad player. Yes, my stats do have a win rate of 43%, but i've only been playing for 6 months. Look at my alt account on NA (Natastrophe) and you'll see I have better stats as there are no beginner ones.

Getting back to my point, the idea of ranked is to make your way to rank one, however its a lottery as if you get a poor player on your team, then you more often loose. I spotted one such player. No camo on ship, no signals, sure enough, the ramed me in my smoke, then proceeded to damage me by firing to close. After that, they yolo in and get destroyed.

My idea for ranked would be a radical change to how you proceed. Rather than winners and losers getting stars, you should be rewarded for your performance, whether you win or loose. For example, say you needed to score 15 points to go from rank 10 to 9. If the top three on the winning team got 12, 6 and 3 points respectively, they would move towards that goal of 25 points to advance. However I think the players on the loosing team should also be rewarded if they play well, even in the face of defeat. So, the top three on the loosing side could get, say, 6, 3 and 1 point respectively. On the winning side the bottom players get 0 points and on the loosing side the bottom players get -1 point. This means also, that the more skilled players gravitate to the higher ranks.

Maybe this way, ranked would be far less frustrating and people may play more like a team, rather than ram the nearest BB to save a star!

I doubt this change would ever happen, but wanted to know what people think and if they have found ranked as frustrating as I have. Normally I rank out in Sprint, but this time i've just not managed it.

Thoughts folks, how would you change ranked or do you feel its ok?

• Cool 3

Players
1,611 posts
4 minutes ago, natswright said:

I have an idea to improve ranked, but first let me go over my experience this time around with "sprint"

• hit by friendly fire, by ships cramming themselves into my smoke and firing to close

Now I'm not a great player, nor am I a bad player. Yes, my stats do have a win rate of 43%, but i've only been playing for 6 months. Look at my alt account on NA (Natastrophe) and you'll see I have better stats as there are no beginner ones.

Getting back to my point, the idea of ranked is to make your way to rank one, however its a lottery as if you get a poor player on your team, then you more often loose. I spotted one such player. No camo on ship, no signals, sure enough, the ramed me in my smoke, then proceeded to damage me by firing to close. After that, they yolo in and get destroyed.

My idea for ranked would be a radical change to how you proceed. Rather than winners and losers getting stars, you should be rewarded for your performance, whether you win or loose. For example, say you needed to score 15 points to go from rank 10 to 9. If the top three on the winning team got 12, 6 and 3 points respectively, they would move towards that goal of 25 points to advance. However I think the players on the loosing team should also be rewarded if they play well, even in the face of defeat. So, the top three on the loosing side could get, say, 6, 3 and 1 point respectively. On the winning side the bottom players get 0 points and on the loosing side the bottom players get -1 point. This means also, that the more skilled players gravitate to the higher ranks.

Maybe this way, ranked would be far less frustrating and people may play more like a team, rather than ram the nearest BB to save a star!

I doubt this change would ever happen, but wanted to know what people think and if they have found ranked as frustrating as I have. Normally I rank out in Sprint, but this time i've just not managed it.

@natswright

I think more people are playing it for the coal, I do feel your frustrations after being rammed, torpedoed ( more than 10 games ) shot blar blar by my own team, if I didnt have enough to do, anyway. 

I do not know what the solution is and you make some good points.

I think the " short format " is a far more " thinking game " thus more enjoyable for Myself.

I believe all the team should lose a star taking the " save a star " mentality out of it, although a significant number of Established players say it would not work.

o7

• Cool 2

Players
94 posts
1,410 battles
26 minutes ago, natswright said:

I have none of the similar experience

Beta Tester
1,421 posts
16,926 battles
Vor 1 Stunde, natswright sagte:

Every time somebody comes up and says that Ranked (Sprint) is broken. And often it is actually about the performance of the team mates, same as in Random Battles.

Usually I don't do the stats but since you claim not to be a bad player... you are an inexperienced player, especially when it comes to tier 8 and above. While of course you are totally free to express your opinion about Sprints here, it looks like you are one of those players, that you complain about, yourself.

And guess what? Sprints are made for players like you. Inexperienced but wanting to play in a slightly more competitive environment than randoms. Now you just gotta learn to live and deal with it.

Players
1,099 posts
11,502 battles
3 hours ago, natswright said:

Usually happens when player, for one reason or another, is "parking" him-/herself in high traffic, intense combat area. Or player uses smoke wrongly, do mask enemy ships, causing ships behind do push forwad, in order do see anything.

If you have it alot. Than it is probably smart do look where you are parking your smoke. 

Smoking up enemy and denying your team visibility. And staying inside good torpedo avenues and there-for denying your team effective use of their torpedoes. Will both increase your looseing rate.

[JRM]
Players
6,283 posts
24,145 battles

@natswright I see you have a Kaga, take her out, it wont matter what crud MM throws at you, even if you lose you will be top and keep a star, I got stuck at R7-6 and R2-1 and Enterprise made sure I get unstuck both times and Kaga aint far in power...

• Cool 2

[WITCH]
Players
139 posts
4,408 battles
6 hours ago, Donnerturm said:

Every time somebody comes up and says that Ranked (Sprint) is broken. And often it is actually about the performance of the team mates, same as in Random Battles.

Usually I don't do the stats but since you claim not to be a bad player... you are an inexperienced player, especially when it comes to tier 8 and above. While of course you are totally free to express your opinion about Sprints here, it looks like you are one of those players, that you complain about, yourself.

And guess what? Sprints are made for players like you. Inexperienced but wanting to play in a slightly more competitive environment than randoms. Now you just gotta learn to live and deal with it.

But its not more competitive, the payer skill base is worse in ranked sprint. I'm also suggesting a better way to show that players on the loosing team can play better, and maybe deserve a little more credit than loosing a star.

[WITCH]
Players
139 posts
4,408 battles
4 hours ago, mariouus said:

Usually happens when player, for one reason or another, is "parking" him-/herself in high traffic, intense combat area. Or player uses smoke wrongly, do mask enemy ships, causing ships behind do push forwad, in order do see anything.

If you have it alot. Than it is probably smart do look where you are parking your smoke. 

Smoking up enemy and denying your team visibility. And staying inside good torpedo avenues and there-for denying your team effective use of their torpedoes. Will both increase your looseing rate.

This is the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard, seriously, you'd just ram a ship and blame them for miss placing smoke? I predominantly play light cruisers, so smoke is very important. I also play them quite agressively, so that I can support the DD's on the team, by taking out the enemy DD's, then any Radar ships. I've played the game enough to know positioning. I dont always get it right, but then we all make mistakes.

[WITCH]
Players
139 posts
4,408 battles
4 hours ago, Yedwy said:

@natswright I see you have a Kaga, take her out, it wont matter what crud MM throws at you, even if you lose you will be top and keep a star, I got stuck at R7-6 and R2-1 and Enterprise made sure I get unstuck both times and Kaga aint far in power...

I'll give that a try,although i'm not the best CV player, practice makes perfect though.

[WITCH]
Players
139 posts
4,408 battles

Guys, I'm not looking for you to criticize me directly, I wondering as sprint is for "less experienced" players like me as some of you suggest, maybe the rewards should be done slightly differently? Lets be constructive here!

[SHEN]
Moderator, WoWs Wiki Team
2,360 posts
13,636 battles
Il y a 11 minutes, natswright a dit :

Guys, I'm not looking for you to criticize me directly, I wondering as sprint is for "less experienced" players like me as some of you suggest, maybe the rewards should be done slightly differently? Lets be constructive here!

The title of the post seen the oposite.

Take a breath and go on division. It's the Best way to hit rank 1 very fast.

[ROT8]
Players
2,730 posts

How come these sort of threads are always made by players that aren't as good as they think they are.........OP, seriously, your claims of your own performances in this season ranked do not add up. Ranked is what it is, a competitive little 'tournament' that anyone at any skill level, providing they have the ships, to play in a team.

If you go in with the attitude that you are entitled to rank out in super quick time and hardly lose a battle then you are in for a salty time.  Half the time you will have the worse team and maybe once in a while you will pull off a surprise win, other times you will have the better team but still lose now and again. 

TBH I mostly really enjoy it, especially playing in a division. I am also not too bothered about getting to R1 too quick either so experiment with different ships. 

It's just a game in the end so enjoy it, if you can't then don't play it...simples.

• Cool 4

Beta Tester
725 posts
11,961 battles

I will advice you one thing. There is mechanizm of preserving the star. Just do exactly that, if you win it is added bonus.

If you can abuse aspect of the game, just do it, until they fix it. There is no other way about fixing it.

I am not sure if in any sprints so far someone torped me (I did torped friendlies twice, my mistake).

For sure no one have pushed me from my smoke, as I am in such places that people do not want to go :)

I was shot by friendlies maybe once, as again I am mostly to close to action that people would stick to me.

[MUMMY]
Beta Tester
243 posts
4,100 battles
7 minutes ago, natswright said:

I am one of those less experienced players and after two games decided to stop playing it, as for the moment it is just out of my league in terms of experience, knowledge and abilities. Had two rounds of Enterprise, one was a complete stomp from the enemy, second round was actually a good game with a victory. Currently posting from my phone, so sadly no screenshots. It was just too stressful for me, especially after the end screen when most of the enemy team was Rank 5 or less while our team was Rank 5 and more.

I don't want to be a burden to my team and ruin the experience or progress of 6 other people that actually try to get to Rank 1, so I stay at the tiers and modes I feel comfortable, playing the ships I feel comfortable.

The rewards aren't that interesting for me personally, 10k coal would be nice but also achievable via other ways and at least for me not worth the hassle.

Players
6,766 posts
245 battles

Div and cv, use enty or kaga and if you dont have prems use shokaku instead.

im too smoll to do ranks, but the above should help! ‘W’

[JRM]
Players
6,283 posts
24,145 battles
37 minutes ago, natswright said:

I'll give that a try,although i'm not the best CV player, practice makes perfect though.

No need to be exeptional, I am not either, basic level of competence is more then enough for these small teams, just park behind some nice cover (so you domt get sniped off) and start dumping ordinance on the reds... 

After I got pushed back from 1* away from R1 to R3 and took Enterprise out I ranked out within an hour...

• Cool 1

Players
1,099 posts
11,502 battles
46 minutes ago, natswright said:

This is the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard, seriously, you'd just ram a ship and blame them for miss placing smoke?

No. If it happens often, this means that you are misspositioning. You have a smoke and good smokefiring consilement. Something that many other ships does not have. They can not stop.

What you are describing as people squeezing themself in your smoke, or ramming you in your smoke. Is often traffict jam and people trying do get past you. Because if you move in your smoke, like you should, it is almost impossible do get pass with out ramming.

Do not smoke up in the middle of channels and narrows.

[MORIA]
Players
585 posts
7,851 battles
9 hours ago, natswright said:

Strange, things like that happens to me in maybe 1 out of 100 battles. And your last point, about losing more than you win, thats all on you im afraid

Players
566 posts

1. Team with the better CV wins.

2. If no CVs or in rare cases both are gluesniffers then team with the most Vladivostoks/Lenins usually win.

3. If 1 or 2 does not met then its usually the DD that dont yolo OR hide behind friendly BBs that solves the game.

*edit

I would also say that seeing lots of Bismarcks and Tirpitzis in your team is a bad thing.

For some reason they have a HUGE death wish and they even solo rush the whole enemy team....

Even if you have 2/3 of the caps and you are duck in like a tick....

Trust your Bismarck player to throw the game.

• Funny 3

[MORIA]
Players
585 posts
7,851 battles
Just now, Fatal_Ramses said:

2. If no CVs or in rare cases both are gluesniffers then team with the most Vladivostoks/Lenins usually win.

3. If 1 or 2 does not met then its usually the DD that dont yolo OR hide behind friendly BBs that solves the game.

My experience is that the team with the Kutuzov wins, and im sailing her so...

Players
1,611 posts
5 minutes ago, Fatal_Ramses said:

LOL 

Aptly put Sir 

:Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[WITCH]
Players
139 posts
4,408 battles
1 hour ago, WarburtonLee said:

Strange, things like that happens to me in maybe 1 out of 100 battles. And your last point, about losing more than you win, thats all on you im afraid

Sorry, we can all be "Super Unicorn" players, although your win rate is not 99% according to your stats page... Also strange things like this dont happen to me as often, when I play on the NA server...

Players
372 posts
5,645 battles
32 minutes ago, natswright said:

Sorry, we can all be "Super Unicorn" players, although your win rate is not 99% according to your stats page... Also strange things like this dont happen to me as often, when I play on the NA server...

Strange, I thought that was where the friendly fire experts went to play? 

• Bad 1

Players
1,611 posts
Just now, Rionnen_marksman said:

Strange, I thought that was where the friendly fire experts went to play? 

I have my doubts that some friendly fire was not by accident. Hey Ho I have moved on