You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
wot_2016_gunner

Update 0.8.9

38 comments in this topic

Players
1,488 posts
3,113 battles

There is this message in the news tab in the port, it's in italian, but basically, it says that the update 0.8.9 weights... 5.7 GB, and due to this, players are able to download it before with the WGC.

A causa delle grandi dimensioni dell’aggiornamento 0.8.9 (5,7 GB), è ora disponibile per i giocatori la possibilità di scaricarlo in anticipo tramite il WGC. In questo modo, il giorno di rilascio dell’aggiornamento sarà sufficiente scaricare un piccolo aggiornamento e installare la nuova versione per iniziare a giocare.

Just wanted to inform you of this if you didn't noticed it already.

[BONI]
Players
1,257 posts
12,064 battles

It's nice that they let you predownload but it's kind of moot if you then have to download more when the update is actually released.

[BFS]
Beta Tester
1,861 posts
11,810 battles

Well, hopefully once you've downloaded the patch the additional download would be small by comparison.

I've played games in the past where it's taken half a day to download an update and then apply the patch before I could play a game - mind you that was probably a long time ago before broadband internet.

Players
1,488 posts
3,113 battles
1 ora fa, BrusilovX ha scritto:

Well, hopefully once you've downloaded the patch the additional download would be small by comparison.

I've played games in the past where it's taken half a day to download an update and then apply the patch before I could play a game - mind you that was probably a long time ago before broadband internet.

I downloaded it yesterday and it took around two hours (my internet is not really that fast), hopefully the additional update will be something small. 

• Cool 1

[BFS]
Beta Tester
1,861 posts
11,810 battles
2 minutes ago, black_falcon120 said:

How do you pre download?

If you're using the Wargamming Game Centre (their launcher) it can do it automatically.

There is a setting that allows games to be downloaded in advance.

• Cool 1

WoWs Wiki Team, Supertester, Privateer
1,953 posts
12,078 battles
1 minute ago, BrusilovX said:

If you're using the Wargamming Game Centre (their launcher) it will do it automatically.

...if you activate "pre-downloads"... 

image.thumb.png.451336080340e1198cb9a30862c0dd10.png

• Cool 2

[INTRO]
[INTRO]
Players
1,437 posts
16,784 battles
1 minute ago, BrusilovX said:

If you're using the Wargamming Game Centre (their launcher) it will do it automatically.

If you have it set to do so.

I DL'd the whole thing in about 1 minute.:Smile_trollface:

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[BFS]
Beta Tester
1,861 posts
11,810 battles
Just now, Wizard27_1979 said:

...if you activate "pre-downloads"... 

image.thumb.png.451336080340e1198cb9a30862c0dd10.png

Yes, I saw that (see above).   I cant recall changing that to allow downloads so it may be the default setting.

Players
1,498 posts
11,246 battles

It's funny how they apologized for a 1.2gb update about a year (or so) ago and kinda promised that thanks to their new packing method updates will be smaller in the future. And now they casually release updates of 2gb to 3gb every time plus this gigantic update just assuming it would be okay for everyone. My WoWs EU folder, including this pre-download update, is 49gb which is absurd. I wonder if WG will sponsor me a new SSD because mine is running out of space.

• Cool 4

[NWP]
Beta Tester, Players
2,160 posts
6,474 battles

No pre-download for me yet, strange.

WoWs Wiki Team, Supertester, Privateer
1,953 posts
12,078 battles
Just now, Winged_Cat_Dormant said:

Why so big?

Halloween, Italian Arc, some Light and Sound-improvement...

• Cool 1

Players
372 posts
5,647 battles
53 minutes ago, ThePurpleSmurf said:

It's funny how they apologized for a 1.2gb update about a year (or so) ago and kinda promised that thanks to their new packing method updates will be smaller in the future. And now they casually release updates of 2gb to 3gb every time plus this gigantic update just assuming it would be okay for everyone. My WoWs EU folder, including this pre-download update, is 49gb which is absurd. I wonder if WG will sponsor me a new SSD because mine is running out of space.

Yep, has to be one of the biggest games around, rather absurd. I’ll be moving it into an M.2 on its own soon 😂 

sucks that we can’t pre download without the game centre, I hate that damn thing.

• Cool 1

[B0TS]
[B0TS]
Players
271 posts
10,772 battles
2 hours ago, ThePurpleSmurf said:

every new AAA game takes 60 to 100GB instalation files.

[NED]
Players
2,047 posts
7,861 battles

I rather have a big download over a highly compressed file that takes forever to unpack. 

Steam games for me are much quicker to download directly then a pre-load that needs to unpack.

Players
1,498 posts
11,246 battles
1 hour ago, Sugertukas said:

every new AAA game takes 60 to 100GB instalation files.

This is neither a new game nor a AAA game. And new games with 60 to 100 GB installations have decent UIs, decent FPS, no 100% GPU load in idle mode aka the port, have tons of QoL stuff to make the players life easier instead to make it a game of will and patience. Even the most basic stuff is still missing in this game after 4 years of development and almost 50gigs - and i'm not talking about fanzy stuff but more like logical stuff such as unified hotkeys for consumables, loadouts (consumables, flags and so on) for ships, a proper chat system, a proper replay system, filters for the bazillion camos and the list goes on and on. 

• Cool 9

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
2,989 posts
11,460 battles
5 hours ago, ThePurpleSmurf said:

This is neither a new game nor a AAA game. And new games with 60 to 100 GB installations have decent UIs, decent FPS, no 100% GPU load in idle mode aka the port, have tons of QoL stuff to make the players life easier instead to make it a game of will and patience. Even the most basic stuff is still missing in this game after 4 years of development and almost 50gigs - and i'm not talking about fanzy stuff but more like logical stuff such as unified hotkeys for consumables, loadouts (consumables, flags and so on) for ships, a proper chat system, a proper replay system, filters for the bazillion camos and the list goes on and on. 

This.

And while we are at it, there were mulitplayer games that required an installation of roughly the same number but MEGABYTE instead of GB and those had working chats ........

• Cool 2

[NSVE]
[NSVE]
Players
405 posts
12,036 battles

WOWS is the online game version of a soviet T34...

Not built to be a Rolls Royce, but good enough for the job.

[JRM]
Players
6,298 posts
24,191 battles

My guess is that huge number of models they are stuffing in the game is inflating the res files, they should really pull a brake on new ship lines after RM cruisers and focus on repacking and optimizing the game...

Players
6,779 posts
245 battles
28 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

My guess is that huge number of models they are stuffing in the game is inflating the res files, they should really pull a brake on new ship lines after RM cruisers and focus on repacking and optimizing the game...

Its probs textures, textures especially 2k or beyond take up a stupid amount of space, games can go from 2gb for example without textures to around 20gb or something depending on the actual quality of the texture and how many they have unique object in the game.

think models and anims would be second but no where near as close doe. Unless a stupid amount of polys went into the model.

Players
70 posts
475 battles
On 10/4/2019 at 7:31 PM, wot_2016_gunner said:

There is this message in the news tab in the port, it's in italian, but basically, it says that the update 0.8.9 weights... 5.7 GB, and due to this, players are able to download it before with the WGC.

A causa delle grandi dimensioni dell’aggiornamento 0.8.9 (5,7 GB), è ora disponibile per i giocatori la possibilità di scaricarlo in anticipo tramite il WGC. In questo modo, il giorno di rilascio dell’aggiornamento sarà sufficiente scaricare un piccolo aggiornamento e installare la nuova versione per iniziare a giocare.

Just wanted to inform you of this if you didn't noticed it already.

@wot_2016_gunner, is that the reason that this morning I got kicked out from EU server (I made a thread asking about this)? But still it is strange as I don't see any info on WG's Game Center saying that it is downloaded (still I have the 0.8.8.1.1874437 version) even though I have it on automatically to download any new updates.

[JRM]
Players
6,298 posts
24,191 battles

It isnt the reason, or at least it shouldnt be, game version doesnt change with pre-download but when the patch is installed on patch day, wr have a whole weekly directive to go before that...

• Cool 1

Players
70 posts
475 battles

Thank you Yedwy, I see. Anyway, it seems that it might be a re-roll of server as I got an answer from another fellow player (in my thread) which might be that the problem of me been kicked out of server.