You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Zen71_sniper

Bots behavior now modeled after real players?

35 comments in this topic

[OCTO]
Players
1,184 posts
25,633 battles

Image says it all - two BBs running away when a loss is assured. 

Not being sarcastic, but bots (IMHO) didn't use to do that.... 

image.png.714a15189a312ca6bcaf6d1ed29bf200.png

• Funny 8

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
5,054 posts
10,917 battles

Machine learning is a powerful tool.

Too bad that WG is using it to shape its AI using WoWS' playerbase :Smile_hiding:

• Cool 2
  • Funny 6

Players
2,040 posts
13,135 battles

Next step will be sniping camping from the spawn and camping behind the islands. Poor coop mains... 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 1

Weekend Tester
808 posts
9,128 battles

I've had several recent co-op games where a bot BB has survived the battle by being unspotted for most or all of the time - usually by camping their own spawn.

I was wondering whether its a programming glitch where a bot ship that spawns in the centre of its team and/or behind a large island cannot "decide" which way to go, and therefore does nothing.

Sometimes they seem to have started down one flank behind an island, and then turned around as their bot-mates get massacred and the human enemy closes in on their spawn. When its a slow bot like a Colorado, they simply end up manoeuvring out of sight until the game is virtually over.

• Cool 2

[ADRIA]
Players
276 posts
12,299 battles

Bots play better than players in random and ranked battles and I am not even joking. At least they do not actively try and lose like your teammates in pvp gamemodes. 

• Cool 6

[IAN_H]
Players
1,961 posts
6,603 battles

After over 3 years of Co-Op playing, I know WG have tried "sneaking" an unannounced bot AI change into Co-Op quite a few times and they always have this same behaviour - ships running away rather than the usual programming of charging at players - and Co-Op players always spot it and complain til WG remove it for another 3-6 months before trying again.

WG will say "its a bug" but it's not. AI needs a program to follow and these bots are just following a new program - "RUN AWAY!!!!".

• Cool 1

[OCTO]
Players
1,184 posts
25,633 battles

1 minute ago, IanH755 said:

WG will say "its a bug" but it's not. AI needs a program to follow and these bots are just following a new program - "RUN AWAY!!!!".

That is what I said - trained on many replays and modeled after real BBabies! :Smile-_tongue:

• Cool 2

[HOO]
Players
1,890 posts
3,709 battles
2 hours ago, DariusJacek said:

Next step will be sniping camping from the spawn and camping behind the islands. Poor coop mains... 

They just need to start spamming 'I need intelligence data!' and the transformation will be complete

• Funny 9

[SHAFT]
Players
9,610 posts
8,867 battles

Ive seen that aswell occasionally. And its super annoying. Even more so, if they run away from me perfectly angled, but show broadside to my remaining team :cap_old:

• Funny 1

Players
2,838 posts
3 hours ago, Zen71_sniper said:

Image says it all - two BBs running away when a loss is assured. 

Not being sarcastic, but bots (IMHO) didn't use to do that.... 

image.png.714a15189a312ca6bcaf6d1ed29bf200.png

Quote of the month right there :) Cheers mate o7

Players
2,213 posts
12,923 battles

In recent CooP games I have seen full death TK's with torpedoes, Bots who now use Radar or Hydro, Bots that fire into the smoke... and yes I have seen Bots run.

To be honest I like it... it makes the game a little more unpredictable.

• Cool 2

Players
2,838 posts
37 minutes ago, Miki12345 said:

Bots play better than players in random and ranked battles and I am not even joking. At least they do not actively try and lose like your teammates in pvp gamemodes. 

true for the most part, wit the rare bright exceptions

[I-J-N]
Players
4,225 posts

They definitely seem to be learning. For instance, I was instantly focused in my DD yesterday on cap which is something your team is supposed to do to the enemy DD's (usually it is the enemy team that does this in randoms better....). However, they don't seem to be able to make judgments what kind of behavior is good and what is bad so they emulate all the usual antics as well as the clever tricks you see in randoms.

• Cool 2

Players
2,040 posts
13,135 battles
1 hour ago, Miki12345 said:

And don't even start on angling and aiming :cap_haloween:

[ANV]
Players
549 posts
4,693 battles
1 hour ago, piet11111 said:

They are also really good at dodging torpedo's that are launched at mid to long range.

That's an old one: they will start turning a soon as you launch, before they could possibly detect the torps. Stupid, cheating daleks 

• Funny 2

Players
2,213 posts
12,923 battles
Just now, Lord0 said:

That's an old one: they will start turning a soon as you launch, before they could possibly detect the torps. Stupid, cheating daleks 

Have you noticed that Bot CV's always seem to only fly their aircraft towards DD's at the start.. you can guarantee in a game with a single DD the planes fly directly to it...

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
3,159 posts
3,608 battles

There was this Jingles video some time ago, where he claimed that there are (at least) two bot AI models out there. One rather good model, which is used in Operations, and one less accomplished model which is used in Coop games. According to Jingles, Wargaming once tried putting the better AI bot into Coop as well, but they had to go back on that because it led to a massive drop in player victories in Coop games.

I know, this sounds too weird to be true. But if it is true, it's both sad and funny at the same time. :Smile_smile:

• Funny 1

[ANV]
Players
549 posts
4,693 battles
30 minutes ago, Procrastes said:

There was this Jingles video some time ago, where he claimed that there are (at least) two bot AI models out there. One rather good model, which is used in Operations, and one less accomplished model which is used in Coop games. According to Jingles, Wargaming once tried putting the better AI bot into Coop as well, but they had to go back on that because it led to a massive drop in player victories in Coop games.

I know, this sounds too weird to be true. But if it is true, it's both sad and funny at the same time. :Smile_smile:

It IS true: The changes were reverted post haste 

• Cool 3

[ANV]
Players
549 posts
4,693 battles
41 minutes ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

Have you noticed that Bot CV's always seem to only fly their aircraft towards DD's at the start.. you can guarantee in a game with a single DD the planes fly directly to it...

Never noticed it no. Could be a good way to get plane kills for Directives... 

[SEN]
Players
795 posts
6 minutes ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

I got 86 air kills in a t9 dd vs a t8 cv on a co-op, and indeed from start the bot cv just sent wave after wave at me (only dd in-game) - ignoring the other ships totally !

Can't call this a smart bot, I think we all agree...

Weekend Tester
808 posts
9,128 battles
47 minutes ago, Lord0 said:

They even detect the torp launch and start turning in if your whole ship is unspotted (i.e. behind an island).

Something else that seems to happen is that the bots are pre-aimed at you even if unspotted at the beginning of a match - their shells are on the way the instant you get the detection notification. Reasonable for CAs and DDs, but straining credibility when its a BB with a 60-second turret traverse and you've taken a non-obvious route.

I don't mind the bot cheating, though. Its a bit like playing a Total War game - the AI cheats like heck, but you accept it because its the only way you'll get some sort of challenging opposition (HTF does your country keep producing armies when I've blockaded all the ports for ten turns?! Why aren't you bankrupt in one turn like a human player would be ?! Etc..)

I do wonder if alternative bot modes do get tested from time to time, or at least some sort of RNG fixing. I've only ever lost a few co-op games, and these are mostly when all the other "human" team-mates exhibit bizarre behaviours (afk'ers, botters, doing nothing, not firing, etc). I normally top the teams i am in. However, from time to time, you get a game where the bots simply machine-gun the human team in seconds, and it appears difficult to respond (overpens, misses, nil damage shots, etc).