You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
LiveWire___

Richelieu: a crap ship?

87 comments in this topic

[ELEC]
[ELEC]
Players
624 posts
3,798 battles

So, title says it all.

How can I get the most out of this seeming wreck? I clean house in Hood. I've gotten a fair few Krakens in her. I wipe the floor in Nelson.

All Rich seems good for is bowing in and then getting annihilated.

I have been trying to use her like Nelson, which is the closest analogue I can draw. At least Nelson works well when angled.

I find a good position. I fire. I come under fire. I try angling. Bam! turret(s) get disabled. I turn away. I get citted from the rear. I get citted again and again. I try bowing in and soaking up ricochets. I get flanked.

The ship burns like a stack of hay. The guns are underwhelming. The armour seems paper thin. I'm >this< close to selling this thing.

I'm ranting a bit, I know. Sheer frustration!

Any help before I just get rid of this pile?

>edit< Ok, she's fast. Blisteringly so. She just doesn't seem to suit my style at all : (

• Cool 1

[MORIA]
Players
7,285 posts
35,878 battles

You didn't play FdG yet. How can you call it wreck? On T8 od pretty good one. Way better than Monarch. For me seemed as good as Amagi. Ok ship. 

[SPUDS]
Beta Tester
4,580 posts
17,975 battles
1 minute ago, MacArthur92 said:

You didn't play FdG yet. How can you call it wreck? On T8 od pretty good one. Way better than Monarch. For me seemed as good as Amagi. Ok ship. 

actually after the buffs FdG is kinda passable as a Tier 8 Battleship, Richelieu however...

• Funny 2

[ELEC]
[ELEC]
Players
624 posts
3,798 battles
2 minutes ago, MacArthur92 said:

No, I'm not very far along the German line. I bought Rich on a whim, as the only other t8 I've got is Roma, which is another story.

But Rich? Gah. Hate her. So far.

[SHAFT]
Players
9,432 posts
8,808 battles

Easier if you show us some replays so we can tell you whats the biggest issue with your playstyle.

Imo its quite easy: Since you only have frontturrets, you shouldnt feel the need to show too much broadside. And 32mm plating means, only Yamasushi can overmatch you.

Ive had some mixed results (only played a few battles in it). First game was totaly weird, i pretty much got only overpens. After that it got better. But it feels very weird, longrange with very fast shells but only 380mm caliber so you will bounce on certain Cruisers. So you need to get into places where you can shoot broadsides. Speedboost does help with that.

[BGNAV]
Players
179 posts
19,014 battles

Richelieu is in Top 3 worst ships i have ever played with...
I was grinding it with only one game per day, no matter if it was win or loss

• Cool 2

[MORIA]
Players
7,285 posts
35,878 battles
2 minutes ago, CeKyPuTo said:

I grinded it so fast that I didn't even notice

Screenshot_20191004-011740~2.png

• Cool 1

[SPUDS]
Beta Tester
4,580 posts
17,975 battles

you have to play the Richelieu like a really really bad Jean Bart without Reload BoosterTM

[BODEM]
Players
733 posts
6,708 battles

FdG a tier 8 ship is part of a joke? Just curious. 

As for Rich, I played her first on a PTU and thought "This is a great ship! Agile, fast, good secondaries, tanky." Then I reached her on live and everything I commented on her about just didn't seem to work now. But that's prolly because I don't use her right. I substitute  her in my US BB style. She is not a slow and tanky hardhitter, but prolly more a speedy flanker, and I haven't tried to use her like that yet. In fact, I need to learn this whole flanking thing as I am used to go right in through the front door, which American BBs and German ones are quite comfortable with.

[ELEC]
[ELEC]
Players
624 posts
3,798 battles
Just now, CeKyPuTo said:

It's my number one worst ship.

1 minute ago, DFens_666 said:

Easier if you show us some replays so we can tell you whats the biggest issue with your playstyle.

Imo its quite easy: Since you only have frontturrets, you shouldnt feel the need to show too much broadside. And 32mm plating means, only Yamasushi can overmatch you.

Ive had some mixed results (only played a few battles in it). First game was totaly weird, i pretty much got only overpens. After that it got better. But it feels very weird, longrange with very fast shells but only 380mm caliber so you will bounce on certain Cruisers. So you need to get into places where you can shoot broadsides. Speedboost does help with that.

Well, my summary, although a bit of a rant, sums up my experience nicely. IMHO, she seems a very tanky, bow on type ship. She seems to need to move up fairly fast, then stop, bow on, dish out some damage, move to a new position, bow on, stop, dish out some more, and then move away when safe.

Contrast this to my Hood play. I'm never still. I move flat out at all times. I weave. I dodge. I hack planes out of the sky in droves. I lead cruisers. I smash them with broadsides. I carried a team recently virtually single handed with her. Man, I love that ship. 

So, any tips besides what I mentioned, I'd appreciate. Otherwise, it's the scrap heap for her...

[MORIA]
Players
7,285 posts
35,878 battles
8 minutes ago, Kaseko said:

actually after the buffs FdG is kinda passable as a Tier 8 Battleship, Richelieu however...

Still those guns are pathetic don't hit anything. 

[MORIA]
Players
7,285 posts
35,878 battles
1 minute ago, FukushuNL said:

FdG a tier 8 ship is part of a joke? Just curious

Just pointed out a real crap.

[ELEC]
[ELEC]
Players
624 posts
3,798 battles
3 minutes ago, FukushuNL said:

FdG a tier 8 ship is part of a joke? Just curious. 

As for Rich, I played her first on a PTU and thought "This is a great ship! Agile, fast, good secondaries, tanky." Then I reached her on live and everything I commented on her about just didn't seem to work now. But that's prolly because I don't use her right. I substitute  her in my US BB style. She is not a slow and tanky hardhitter, but prolly more a speedy flanker, and I haven't tried to use her like that yet. In fact, I need to learn this whole flanking thing as I am used to go right in through the front door, which American BBs and German ones are quite comfortable with.

Rich seems quite a niche ship.

I've been eaten alive by a Cleveland! Twice! With HE! She seems to be made of straw :cap_fainting:

>edit< I also notice that nobody has said she's NOT crap yet...

[BODEM]
Players
733 posts
6,708 battles
6 minutes ago, CeKyPuTo said:

WoWs forums for the seeing-impared.

9 minutes ago, Thundercracker_3 said:

No, I'm not very far along the German line. I bought Rich on a whim, as the only other t8 I've got is Roma, which is another story.

But Rich? Gah. Hate her. So far.

Roma....<3 One of my most favorite BBs in the game. 

[MORIA]
Players
7,285 posts
35,878 battles
2 minutes ago, Thundercracker_3 said:

Well, my summary, although a bit of a rant, sums up my experience nicely. IMHO, she seems a very tanky, bow on type ship. She seems to need to move up fairly fast, then stop, bow on, dish out some damage, move to a new position, bow on, stop, dish out some more, and then move away when safe.

Contrast this to my Hood play. I'm never still. I move flat out at all times. I weave. I dodge. I hack planes out of the sky in droves. I lead cruisers. I smash them with broadsides. I carried a team recently virtually single handed with her. Man, I love that ship

Don't ever buy a Stalingrad or get the Moskva. Same playstyle is Lenin, Nelson, and JB. I like all of them. 

• Cool 1

[ELEC]
[ELEC]
Players
624 posts
3,798 battles

WoWs forums for the seeing-impared.

Roma....<3 One of my most favorite BBs in the game. 

I do like Roma. I play her similarly to my Hood. Gorgeous ship. Fast turrets. Great concealment. But she struggles to pen. I've never got very good numbers with her.

[BODEM]
Players
733 posts
6,708 battles

I've been eaten alive by a Cleveland! Twice! With HE! She seems to be made of straw :cap_fainting:

Now I really want to focus playing the Rich to see how I can make her work and more IF I can make her work xD Alas, no wows for me in the next months. I just can't imagine the Rich being in the "crap ship" pool.

[ELEC]
[ELEC]
Players
624 posts
3,798 battles

Now I really want to focus playing the Rich to see how I can make her work and more IF I can make her work xD Alas, no wows for me in the next months. I just can't imagine the Rich being in the "crap ship" pool.

I dunno. I guess I've just not run in a ship where I've done so poorly before. I mean being sunk in less than 5 minutes? Gah.

[MORIA]
Players
7,285 posts
35,878 battles
7 minutes ago, Thundercracker_3 said:

You can get the same with JB. 32mm all the ship man. Same is with Alsace and Rep. Though they're still great. 

[BODEM]
Players
733 posts
6,708 battles
3 minutes ago, Thundercracker_3 said:

I do like Roma. I play her similarly to my Hood. Gorgeous ship. Fast turrets. Great concealment. But she struggles to pen. I've never got very good numbers with her.

Turns on a dime and has ruddershift bar none for a BB, plus she's quite tanky. I must agree her overpens are aweful, but I do have had quite a few great games in her. But it's just the overall feel of playing her that is so addictive. 

[ELEC]
[ELEC]
Players
624 posts
3,798 battles
Just now, MacArthur92 said:

You can get the same with JB. 32mm all the ship man. Same is with Alsace and Rep. Though they're still great. 

Yeah, I guess. I dunno. Rage subsiding a bit now. Though, I did impress myself. I didn't swear in chat, or ragequit, which was very mature of me, if I do say so myself :cap_like:

• Funny 1

[BODEM]
Players
733 posts
6,708 battles

I dunno. I guess I've just not run in a ship where I've done so poorly before. I mean being sunk in less than 5 minutes? Gah.

I've had that lots of times with lots of ships xD Mostly because I'm not into it or not paying attention. I do think the top French BBs are niche ships.

[ELEC]
[ELEC]
Players
624 posts
3,798 battles

Turns on a dime and has ruddershift bar none for a BB, plus she's quite tanky. I must agree her overpens are aweful, but I do have had quite a few great games in her. But it's just the overall feel of playing her that is so addictive. 

...and she's a sexy, sexy ship. My God. 

She feels better than any other ship I've played, other than Hood. Tell you what. Hood's the only other ship I've been able to play where I can make the turrets turn so fast lol