Flandre Bug Read more... ×
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Jethro_Grey

CV players - need advise

41 comments in this topic

[CAIN]
Players
4,894 posts
20,457 battles

Seeing as the first rank in sprint is one where nobody loses a star, i decided to give CVs a go and dusted my Enterprise off, which i played only once in randoms after the REEEwork ( and sucked hard in that TX game).

Now, i know i'm a CV noob, always was and always will be, as i simply don't like this class.

That being said, that doesn't mean i refuse to learn how to play CVs and take dumps on unsuspecting loli boats. :Smile_trollface:

My only experience with CVs is the RN TVI which i played so often in OPS that i managed to unlock the TVIII.

Anyways, here's a replay, fresh and still steaming hot of my attempt of being useful and failing.

https://replayswows.com/replay/65429#stats

I also, did notice i'm surface spotted but i assumed i have a bit of time before the DD gets too close.

So my question are:

What did i do wrong?

What did i do horribly wrong?

What could i have done better?

What did i do right?

Where and what can i improve?

What would have you done differently?

Pls share your opinion, things you noticed, give advise on how to do things differently!

Attached are my ship/ captain builds which i thankfully got provided by a lot of forumites in another thread.

shot-19.10.02_21.18.51-0985.jpg

shot-19.10.02_21.18.58-0934.jpg

• Boring 1

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,688 posts
20,957 battles

- know that if you were skilled enough you could actually Solo Warrior with this MM. Just saying :D

- I'm gonna guess your movements at the beginning were to test, otherwise they'd make no sense

- given the MM you don't need to shorten your squad

- you could've ignored that fighter. Use yours to spot instead

- Enterprise excels in turn attacking. If you find a target closer than 3km on your side, you may be able to attack it by initiating an attack first then turning. Enterprise RFs retain hypermaneuverability as long as the reticle is still yellow

- You only need 3km distance to attack with RFs (general rule btw, TiTs can go a tad shorter), there is no need to go out this wide. Also leaving a fighter on that Fantasque would've provided ample spotting

- There is no point in trying to escape if you're tagged by fighters. What you can do is preserve some reserves by attacking as fighters outright ignore bailing attack planes

- Generally speaking you don't want to attack before knowing where the enemy is. Fly over and sacrifice a fighter for spotting if necessary

- If you see an enemy squad crossing your path while you're attacking something chances are they're gonna spawn fighters. You can preempt this by simply spawning your own first if the AA isn't too strong

- Fighters always attack the squad that was in their circle first. There is no point in spawning a fighter while inside the circle if you cannot escape in time (unless it is for spotting ofc)

- Lenin evaporates under E AP bombs. Just saying. Knowing which targets you can AP bomb for citadels is crucial

- There is no point in attacking with a squad that is already chewed up. Recall and use a fresh one instead to preserve reserves

- You're gonna need to learn how to dodge flak better btw

- Don't attack too early with TBs as you lose your ability to dodge flak. At least get within 3.5km as flak stops spawning then

- As soon as you drop start turning immediately with TBs. E's TBs have a short enough arming distance to be able to reengage at close ranges. Also keep your target in view, you want to know what he's doing so you can hit him again from an optimal angle

- If your target is destroyed while you're attacking and no other targets are immediately available it is faster to simply drop your ordinance and recall rather than wait until the timer runs out

- As soon as you see that "CV detected" sign, MOVE

• Cool 6

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,688 posts
20,957 battles
2 minutes ago, black_falcon120 said:

@El2aZeR quick question, should I be aiming for slightly off centre with DBs? I heard on Reddit you should... 

Depends.

On IJN DBs you want to aim dead center.

On USN HE DBs you want to aim off center and pray

On E's AP DBs it's pure RNG, personally I just aim roughly center

No idea how GZ works. Apparently not at all if some people are to be believed.

• Funny 1

Beta Tester
1,178 posts
3,162 battles
33 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Depends.

Thank you, btw how far do you aim off centre in the USN HEs? 

I was always aiming dead centre when I was in my midway....  

Players
10,314 posts
12,044 battles
23 minutes ago, black_falcon120 said:

Any estimate "how far" can easily be blurred up by RNGesus:Smile_smile:

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,688 posts
20,957 battles
34 minutes ago, black_falcon120 said:

It's mostly up to RNG, so anything goes.

Beta Tester
1,178 posts
3,162 battles
17 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

It's mostly up to RNG, so anything goes.

Ah ok, but is keeping the centre of the ship half way between the centre and the edge of the inner circle a good approximation? 

[BBMM]
Players
6,644 posts
9,323 battles
2 hours ago, Jethro_Grey said:

I also, did notice i'm surface spotted but i assumed i have a bit of time before the DD gets too close.

Yeah you do, but about just as much time for the BB dufus to wake up, aim and pull the trigger.

Usually it is NOT the DD that kills you. A smart one detects you and leaves it upto his BB mates.

The stupid ones come for you. Those you kill. Well, unless they are damn good or paid RNGEsus 100 hippo's.

I mean they're not getting away with sheep on this one. 

Once they came for me with 2 DD and a cruiser. Killed all of them. 

The cruiser was a "fleshwound" but that was RNG, could have been him first too. 

Usually though, when you are detected, expect "heavy incoming". From all directions.

Try a captain build with Priority Target"for the LULZZZ when respec is free... :Smile_trollface:

BTW on US CVs with HE DBs I wait until last second to drop.

Might be confirmation bias, but seems the RNG is less. 

Then again more seconds for them to melt the squad, and I'm not that good.

I just have many sheep. :cap_like:

Beta Tester
1,178 posts
3,162 battles
4 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

BTW on US CVs with HE DBs I wait until last second to drop.

Might be confirmation bias, but seems the RNG is less. 

Then again more seconds for them to melt the squad, and I'm not that good.

I just have many sheep. :cap_like:

Ditto, it makes the reticule smaller.  But with enterprise AP bombs, I hear you are meant to stop with 2 sec left on the drop, but I find waiting late with those gives good results, am I an idiot?

[BBMM]
Players
6,644 posts
9,323 battles
2 minutes ago, black_falcon120 said:

Ditto, it makes the reticule smaller.  But with enterprise AP bombs, I hear you are meant to stop with 2 sec left on the drop, but I find waiting late with those gives good results, am I an idiot?

Nope I hear you drop them ASAP, as the higher they are dropped the more pen you'll get.

My divvy told me that's how he does it. Seems to work for him. If you hit or not is 90% sheepcount RNG.

But I haven't got any CVs with AP. Well, so far. 

HE is good though. On BBs you don't care as you'll only pen superstructures usually, it's about the fire.

And you wreck lots of stuff on DDs and cruisers. I had some that I saved teammates because of knocking out the torps.

If you wait long enough and get lucky, you may devstrike a cruiser. WHAM straight back to port.

Of course, zero karma, you'll know how it feels (good). :Smile_trollface:

Beta Tester
1,178 posts
3,162 battles
1 hour ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

Nope I hear you drop them ASAP, as the higher they are dropped the more pen you'll get.

My divvy told me that's how he does it. Seems to work for him. If you hit or not is 90% sheepcount RNG.

But I haven't got any CVs with AP. Well, so far. 

HE is good though. On BBs you don't care as you'll only pen superstructures usually, it's about the fire.

And you wreck lots of stuff on DDs and cruisers. I had some that I saved teammates because of knocking out the torps.

If you wait long enough and get lucky, you may devstrike a cruiser. WHAM straight back to port.

Of course, zero karma, you'll know how it feels (good). :Smile_trollface:

The pen thing is wrong, Conway said it on stream that pen is constant.

you can devstike a cruiser with HE?

Players
123 posts
322 battles
Vor 2 Stunden, black_falcon120 sagte:

Hello.

I hope this image can help you a bit.20190709_135637.thumb.jpg.3dbda9c6dfde1b0379af558d44bf4cc5.jpg

• Cool 1

[THESO]
Players
7,905 posts
40,290 battles
6 hours ago, Rose_Dikinson said:

Hello.

I hope this image can help you a bit.20190709_135637.thumb.jpg.3dbda9c6dfde1b0379af558d44bf4cc5.jpg

Yup. Works like that especially for Enter that has big reticle. Kaga has smaller so such things won't happen if you bomb cruisers.

Players
7,516 posts
245 battles

For bb's and cruisers you can still aim dead on centre and get 5+ bombs on to target, done it a few times my self and set multiple fires on a single ship.

its just that bombs have been coded to sort of fall around the edges more than the centre.

[THESO]
Players
7,905 posts
40,290 battles
3 minutes ago, CptBarney said:

For bb's and cruisers you can still aim dead on centre and get 5+ bombs on to target, done it a few times my self and set multiple fires on a single ship.

its just that bombs have been coded to sort of fall around the edges more than the centre.

Yep. BBs not a big issue but some cruisers... Once I got 4 citadel hit on Hipper and then second strike few overpens .... :cap_fainting:

[BBMM]
Players
6,644 posts
9,323 battles
9 hours ago, black_falcon120 said:

The pen thing is wrong, Conway said it on stream that pen is constant.

The pen is, but not the things you land it on.

You can't pen two layers with HE, once superstructure is ht,

you cannot pen the deck (and most you cannot pen anyway). 

9 hours ago, black_falcon120 said:

you can devstike a cruiser with HE?

Yes, but you need to be lucky (or the cruiser unlucky...).

It is a simple sum of HP vs damage done.

It is also possible to get detonation. 

Players
3,527 posts
13 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

Depends.

If I had the money I would gift you one, lol but I am a poor boy:Smile_veryhappy:

On mine, I try to aim for the bows or superstructure, but you have to be very quick as the planes themselves seem to be very fast

Beta Tester
1,178 posts
3,162 battles
5 hours ago, NoobySkooby said:

If I had the money I would gift you one, lol but I am a poor boy:Smile_veryhappy:

On mine, I try to aim for the bows or superstructure, but you have to be very quick as the planes themselves seem to be very fast

How do you aim for somewhere, the reticules are too big? 

7 hours ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

The pen is, but not the things you land it on.

You can't pen two layers with HE, once superstructure is ht,

you cannot pen the deck (and most you cannot pen anyway). 

Yes, but you need to be lucky (or the cruiser unlucky...).

It is a simple sum of HP vs damage done.

It is also possible to get detonation. 

so you should release at the last second so your bombs are travelling horizontally and will therefore hit the superstructure? 

• Cool 1

Players
3,527 posts
3 hours ago, black_falcon120 said:

so you should release at the last second so your bombs are travelling horizontally and will therefore hit the superstructure? 

That is what I do.

[BBMM]
Players
6,644 posts
9,323 battles

Depends on the CV. In US CVs if you aim very well/long the reticule is small. Moving makes it larger.

In ARk Royal the reticule is sort of round, bigger than a DD. But smaller than a BB.

Once aimed though the reticule in RN stays small, doesn't matter much what you do. 

Means you can aim behind a mountain, then swerve like an idiot and still hit the CL hiding around the corner.

Yes that is what I do in US BB (with HE bombs, I do not have the AP bombs). 

I don't know if they fall horizontally or what. I THINK they have less RNG. They'll hit almost immediately.

I don't notice same effect on RN bombers, probably because they are "level carpet bombing". 

HOWEVER... in all bombers I notice that if you (for instance) brake and go left while dropping, the bombs end in the right top of the reticule.

There seems to be some sort of "inertia throwing thing" there. With this you can almost BLAP a DD in one go (usually I screw it up though).

Beta Tester
1,178 posts
3,162 battles
1 hour ago, NoobySkooby said:

That is what I do.

Thank you, it's what I was doing as well, but this imperfect aiming thing is something new to me. 

1 hour ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

Depends on the CV. In US CVs if you aim very well/long the reticule is small. Moving makes it larger.

In ARk Royal the reticule is sort of round, bigger than a DD. But smaller than a BB.

Once aimed though the reticule in RN stays small, doesn't matter much what you do. 

Means you can aim behind a mountain, then swerve like an idiot and still hit the CL hiding around the corner.

Yes that is what I do in US BB (with HE bombs, I do not have the AP bombs). 

I don't know if they fall horizontally or what. I THINK they have less RNG. They'll hit almost immediately.

I don't notice same effect on RN bombers, probably because they are "level carpet bombing". 

HOWEVER... in all bombers I notice that if you (for instance) brake and go left while dropping, the bombs end in the right top of the reticule.

There seems to be some sort of "inertia throwing thing" there. With this you can almost BLAP a DD in one go (usually I screw it up though).

Thank you for all the tips. 

btw is 50-60k damage good in ranked battles, it's what I seem to be hitting... 

[BBMM]
Players
6,644 posts
9,323 battles
20 minutes ago, black_falcon120 said:

Thank you, it's what I was doing as well, but this imperfect aiming thing is something new to me. 

Thank you for all the tips. 

Welcome mate. Remember though, however good you are, RNGesus wants his sheep.

Else he gives your team 3 Fubukis and the red ones get 3 Sims. 

20 minutes ago, black_falcon120 said:

btw is 50-60k damage good in ranked battles, it's what I seem to be hitting... 

Wouldn't know what tier and what ship. Next one is tier 9?

If Tier 8 and you use the Lexington, yeah I think it's good.

You need to be fast to get it as well in that short time. 

If T6 and you use Ark Royal it is a miracle. :Smile_trollface:

Beta Tester
1,178 posts
3,162 battles
5 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

Welcome mate. Remember though, however good you are, RNGesus wants his sheep.

Else he gives your team 3 Fubukis and the red ones get 3 Sims. 

True, btw I have the sims, and I don't think it is very good... 

5 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

Wouldn't know what tier and what ship. Next one is tier 9?

If Tier 8 and you use the Lexington, yeah I think it's good.

You need to be fast to get it as well in that short time. 

If T6 and you use Ark Royal it is a miracle. :Smile_trollface:

It's the Enterprise in the ranked battle, at t8.  So I should be happy with this performance? 

I just don't seem to be having that much impact, the games are just too short and everyone clumps together so my planes get obliterated...