You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
VanD4rk

Poll regarding secondary guns in T8+ games

Poll regarding secondary guns in T8+ games  

76 members have voted

1. 1. In 10 games how often you get the chance to use the secondary guns properly (more than 50 hits) ? Only for T8+ games.

• less than 5 games
    • between 5 and 9 games
    • 10 out of 10
  2. 2. Which nation you usually use for the secondary spec ship ? Again for T8+ games

• Germany
    • France
    • USA
  3. 3. Which nation you find most effective for this playstyle ?

• Germany
    • France
    • USA
  4. 4. In 10 games how often you sail a ship specced for secondary combat ?

• 1 to 5
    • 5 to 10
  5. 5. Which pair of parameters do you think needs a buff in order for the ship to be more effective in T8+ games ?

• Speed and maneuverability of the ship
    • Range of Secondaries & Accuracy
    • Tankiness of the ship in the range of the secondary guns(Armor Plating /Turtleback/ Underwater citadel /fast repair parties)
    • Penetration and fire starting of the secondaries
    • None. The parameters are fine as they are !

36 comments in this topic

[OCTO]
Players
390 posts
7,998 battles

Hello captains,

I am trying to find if this playstyle is still fun/effective and how often some of you are using it in the current meta of RANDOM/RANKED battles. 

If you find it useless the last question has the option to reflect this.

Edit: I added a new question based on the replies regarding the effectiveness of the build.

Thank you !

• Cool 2

[SHAD]
Players
2,470 posts
11,067 battles

It is fun in my IFHE GK when my secondaries melt enemy battleships.

Is it effective? The consensus is no but in the right situation they can be.

Germans have the best pen as they have 1/4 pen on all T8+ secondaries. All can pen 32mm plating with IFHE.

The french are fire starters really until tier 10 they can’t even pen superstructure of T8 battleships. 

The USA ships have improved dispersion so can be very effective even without manual secondaries. Further the secondary module is less costly as they cannot fit the aiming module anyway.

with manual secondaries they can really hurt destroyers quite quickly but would possibly be less effective against battleships as under 7 km they’ll hit

nothing but the hull and shatter.

[SHAFT]
Players
9,504 posts
8,838 battles

T9/10 ships are useless for me as secondary builds. Tankbuilds seem superior as there is a benefit basicly every game.

T7-8 works, as long as they arent lowtier. T7 ship with secondaries is not much use in T9 game...

But from playing myself, Massa secondaries are far superior compared to germans. German Secondaries ofc work better against T8+ BB plating.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[OCTO]
Players
390 posts
7,998 battles
12 minutes ago, thiextar said:

Massachusetts player here, so i probably skewed your poll a bit

Sorry, I did not want to exclude Massachusetts.

I know it can get MM from T6 to T10 but please feel free to vote your opinion regarding the battles when you got uptiered in the Massachusetts.

[-AP-]
Players
2,494 posts
6,082 battles

981864033_2019-10-0113_54_31-WoWSStatsNumbers-EU-thiextar-Playerinfoandstats-WorldofWarships.thumb.jpg.3a86e2037c04f005a007d395296b8180.jpg

ive made massachusets work against all tiers, i usually win brawls against t10 bbs in it, as long as i can get a good positioning. The only thing ive had trouble with is when i get open maps like okinawa and whatnot against t10, then its very hard to make the massy work

Players
1,476 posts
3,111 battles

I don't really go for secondary specs on any of my battleships. While I do take BFT and AFT, that's it.

I think that secondary builds are a pre-dreadnought playstile, while mine is a dreadnought playstile (go and read on Wikipedia about the difference between pre-dreadnoughts and dreadnoughts), more focus on gun accuracy and range, but still with the possibility of closing the distance.

Beta Tester
1,649 posts
8,138 battles

There was a time when I experimented with Yammys secondarys.... :Smile_unsure:

Nowadays I mostly go for survival build on all BBs as it makes more sense most of the time.

Still keeping Bismark for the memes though.

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
13,773 posts
19,462 battles

I'm sure SOMEONE would have a lot to write about CV secondary usage here.

Too bad he can't. :Smile_trollface:

• Funny 5

Players
1,619 posts
18,174 battles

I don't really play my BBs for secondaries I found in higher tiers it's hard to get people who want to engage in close quarters combat. 

So I just keep my GK built for full secondary and only play her in Co Op when there is a mission requirement. Sometimes I find them useful on French BBs mainly thanks to their speed, but it's not something I focus on when playing them. 

• Cool 1

Players
6,772 posts
245 battles
17 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Seems to like givin dem negreps doe. :Smile_trollface:

Anyways i play miss georgia alot so being able to use my secondaries is somewhat common however with most ships because the range on secondaries is so pathetically small and the amount of resources needed to just make secondaries sort of viable in more than one situation heavily gimps your ship unless your ship is already decent enough (dunno any such atm).

Also higher tiers is moar campy due to bigger ranges and moar chonkeh boats sitting at the bak trying to dodge nasteh HE spam and smoll fishes.

Players
155 posts
7,579 battles
33 minutes ago, lovelacebeer said:

I don't really play my BBs for secondaries I found in higher tiers it's hard to get people who want to engage in close quarters combat. 

No problem, I don't care about enemy battleships anyway, let them red BBs run and cower in fear of my secondaries! I have caps to take, DDs to bully (and islands to hug..) :Smile_izmena:

"What is best in life(for the Bismarck captain)? To crush your enemies(DDs), see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women cruisers!"

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Players
1,613 posts
49 minutes ago, lovelacebeer said:

it's hard to get people who want to engage in close quarters combat. 

I refuse to vote or discuss the topic. 

I know of no such mission, and if there was a mission, and I knew about any such mission, I would not be at liberty to discuss, the mission, should the mission exist !

This should of been a Kraken, unfortunately i was kill stole, " God Bless Ya Team " 

image.thumb.png.0db355490ab2a461d8cab1cbf0ace702.png 

[OCTO]
Players
390 posts
7,998 battles
1 hour ago, Orcinus1 said:

This should of been a Kraken, unfortunately i was kill stole, " God Bless Ya Team " 

WG should implement an achievement for 4 kills "Almost Kraken" that gives... nothing. :cap_haloween:

Players
1,613 posts
15 minutes ago, VanD4rk said:

WG should implement an achievement for 4 kills "Almost Kraken" that gives... nothing. :cap_haloween:

image.png.51adea4d37d61eba9d283e91533103e2.png

I am not sure, why you can only get Bane of the Ocean once?

~~ anyways 

Players
3,220 posts
2 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

I'll do it for him then, all CV 's should get a major secondary buff, range wise, at least 7.5K, and the GZ should get the same range secondaries of the Tirpitz.

Too many times DD's and cruisers get through and end up chasing the CV's across the map, they need better ways to defend themselves.

We also need a Brit BB with awesome Secondaries like the Germans, French, and the Americans.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[S-O-M]
Players
657 posts

Bismarck driver, not the Secondary pretender without turtle back.  All my German bbs are full manual secondary spec, Japanese seconds are good but lack the range, french are good, Brits and US ( other than the pretender), are poor imho, DDs tend to avoid getting too close to Bismarck (11.2km is more than most torps range and even some dd gun range).

[L4GG]
Players
3,046 posts
10,550 battles
6 hours ago, LoveYouTooBuddy said:

No problem, I don't care about enemy battleships anyway, let them red BBs run and cower in fear of my secondaries! I have caps to take, DDs to bully (and islands to hug..) :Smile_izmena:

"What is best in life(for the Bismarck captain)? To crush your enemies(DDs), see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women cruisers!"

Hey,

It's not the cruisers who needs tears to extinguish the fires.:cap_like:

when I'm in a BB all that matters to me is other BBs. I have a special weakness for those IJN ones, when I nail one, it gives me a huge satisfaction.

Go snipe far,  from  your port.

Better than crush a Hood, KGV or Nelson?

• Cool 2

[L4GG]
Players
3,046 posts
10,550 battles
5 hours ago, VanD4rk said:

But they did for a while, for a little while, thou.

I don't know why they remove the achievement.

kik.thumb.png.f534fa59cc67215426eaa61d987e4dfb.png 

• Cool 1

Players
1,476 posts
3,111 battles
7 ore fa, lovelacebeer ha scritto:

So I just keep my GK built for full secondary and only play her in Co Op when there is a mission requirement. Sometimes I find them useful on French BBs mainly thanks to their speed, but it's not something I focus on when playing them. 

Have you tried to put the Accuracy Upgrade on it? It might help.

• Cool 1

Players
1,619 posts
18,174 battles
10 minutes ago, wot_2016_gunner said:

Have you tried to put the Accuracy Upgrade on it? It might help.

I will give it a try

Players
6,772 posts
245 battles
42 minutes ago, Butterdoll said:

kik.thumb.png.f534fa59cc67215426eaa61d987e4dfb.png 

Why did they get rid of that btw?

• Cool 1

[SHAFT]
Players
9,504 posts
8,838 battles
2 hours ago, Butterdoll said:

1 hour ago, CptBarney said:

Why did they get rid of that btw?

I think they only made it as a special when they introduced Ovechkin as a Captain.

Was only a temporary achievement for the time being.

• Cool 1