Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Afghanicus

Special camos and DMG realism

8 comments in this topic

[V888]
Players
2,106 posts
9,520 battles

I don't care about special camos but seeing the Halloween event coming and testing it on the PTS, I have a (possibly stupid) question...

For the sake of keeping it simple, I'll randomly choose one ship, let's take Yamato for example (applies to all)..

I know all of you know Yamato but for reference, here is the "bate" warship:

Yamato.jpg.127d7246c01687a1844432093cc9a

Now let's take a look at the 'special camo' coming in the next patch which will be available for purchase in the armory:

83baa658-dec1-11e9-8ee7-38eaa735f4cc_120

Let's talk about differences... not colors or material but the silhouette. It's not the same, is it? Not even close if you ask me.

The main question would be, is the camo just for looks? The real silhouette is the actual 'bare Yamato' from the first image? Or to rephrase that... If I shoot at the scorpion on top, it won't deal any damage but the shells will just go through like nothing is there? The ship is also wider on some places and there are other differences as well but you get the point.

So you have to shoot at the real silhouette, not at what you see. And with this particular ship it's not even that different but some of the 'special camos' have even bigger difference in regards to the silhouettes...

I agree that the art department is amazing but I don't see this as something that 'World of Warships' need. In the practical sense (explained above where you're seeing something that's not there and vice versa) and in the realistic sense as well. For special events is great and fun but when you play a serious battle (Ranked, Clan or even Random) do you want to have a feeling you're fighting an enemy fleet of warships or you like shooting at scorpions, octopuses and other monsters?

Let's hear your opinion.

• Cool 3

[NWP]
Beta Tester, Players
2,160 posts
6,474 battles

The added fluff has no hitbox. On the other hand, why would you ever shoot the top of the superstructure?

And most importantly: you can turn off the display of such camouflages directly in the port.

• Cool 3

[V888]
Players
2,106 posts
9,520 battles
2 hours ago, Blixies said:

The added fluff has no hitbox. On the other hand, why would you ever shoot the top of the superstructure?

And most importantly: you can turn off the display of such camouflages directly in the port.

You shoot HE on the superstructure to burn the ship, right? Now you tell me which is the 'chunkiest' part that you will focus your HE on?

By knowing that the "added fluff has no hitbox" you would probably try to avoid shooting at the monsters but it would still be an additional hassle and frustration when you do hit it and the shells go right through it...

Yes, I know you can turn it off in port and after the 0.8.9 patch I will most probably have to do just that. But still, I don't think that's a very appealing solution.

And hey, this is just a personal opinion and you know what they say about opinions... Maybe most players love spaceships and monsters. I just don't see it in a game such as 'World of Warships'. 

When I find out that some ships are not reflecting the 'real thing' (number of guns, addition of consumables etc.) I always understand that it was done for the sake of balance and ability to place ships sitting comfortable in different tiers. But when I see silly camos like this I just don't understand the purpose for it. Giving the added bonuses and perks could be achieved with a normal looking camos, possibly with some unique color schemes and line patterns...

Random question: In WoT, do they have tanks with monsters sitting on top of the turret and hanging on the main gun? (never played WoT)

• Funny 1

[NWP]
Beta Tester, Players
2,160 posts
6,474 battles
10 minutes ago, Palubarac said:

You shoot HE on the superstructure to burn the ship, right? Now you tell me which is the 'chunkiest' part that you will focus your HE on?

By knowing that the "added fluff has no hitbox" you would probably try to avoid shooting at the monsters but it would still be an additional hassle and frustration when you do hit it and the shells go right through it...

I'm not really sure how would you aim for the top of the superstructure, given how the aiming in this game works. I'm not saying it can't be done, but i personally aim for the base of the SS.

11 minutes ago, Palubarac said:

Yes, I know you can turn it off in port and after the 0.8.9 patch I will most probably have to do just that. But still, I don't think that's a very appealing solution.

What do you mean by this? You can chose whether or not you wanna see monster-ships, or regular ships. What's not appealing about the two clear choices?

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
725 posts
11,969 battles
19 minutes ago, Palubarac said:

Random question: In WoT, do they have tanks with monsters sitting on top of the turret and hanging on the main gun?

There is couple of tanks that have modified look of guns so the muzzle look like mouth of a dragon (or something else but dragon was latest one).

But nothing as extensive as it is done in WoWs.

I will repeat it again, I do have a camo for Yamato from an event so I do not need another one. Shame as I really like the scorpion looks.

[V888]
Players
2,106 posts
9,520 battles
25 minutes ago, Blixies said:

I'm not really sure how would you aim for the top of the superstructure, given how the aiming in this game works. I'm not saying it can't be done, but i personally aim for the base of the SS.

What do you mean by this? You can chose whether or not you wanna see monster-ships, or regular ships. What's not appealing about the two clear choices?

Well, the superstructure is altered with certain special camos more than with the one I've posted as an example...

The Henry IV for example where half of the ship is visible, the other half is 'covered' by the monster... Not the only example tho but I don't wanna spam with every special camo available in the game so far...

83afd2c8-dec1-11e9-b35f-38eaa735f4cc_120

P.S. Can you post exactly how you turn off the 'monster camos' only? I'm sure I'll need that option and I haven't use it til now so I'm not sure I know how.

[BOBS3]
Players
1,009 posts
18,655 battles
4 minutes ago, Palubarac said:

P.S. Can you post exactly how you turn off the 'monster camos' only? I'm sure I'll need that option and I haven't use it til now so I'm not sure I know how.

Try this:-

Halloween.png.028857ed52ffe42f97404043702ee011.png

• Cool 5

[-AP-]
Players
2,496 posts
6,082 battles
2 hours ago, Blixies said:

My problem is that i have nothing against special camos like this, i actually like them, and would like to leave them turned on, but:

I cant leave them turned on, because that gives me a disadvantage, on the space camos, its next to impossible to tell if someone is burning, the electricity is barely visible. And now the camos are becoming more and more distinct in shape from their ships, meaning that i have to aim from memory, rather than at what i see.

I would like to have the visuals for these camos turned on, but its just not viable since wargaming are giving these camos actual game impact... Which of course also devalues the camos for anyone that has them on their ships, as more and more players will simply turn them off.

• Cool 2

Sign in to follow this