You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Jethro_Grey

MOD request

34 comments in this topic

[CAIN]
Players
4,388 posts
18,527 battles

Hi, can someone pls help me with a mod?

I want to replace the Dasha captain pics with custom ones.

Could someone pls tell me how to set up the folder structure, naming convention, file format for the pic of the Dasha captains and so forth?

There doesn't seem to be a mod request section so i post it here.

Any help would be much appreciated!

[BLITZ]
Modder
4,725 posts
8,789 battles
27 minutes ago, Jethro_Grey said:

Hi, can someone pls help me with a mod?

I want to replace the Dasha captain pics with custom ones.

Could someone pls tell me how to set up the folder structure, naming convention, file format for the pic of the Dasha captains and so forth?

There doesn't seem to be a mod request section so i post it here.

Any help would be much appreciated!

As I provide a mod by myself, that replaces the names and pictures of captains, I guess I can help you. 

Do you only want to replace the picture or even change the name?

And for which nation? There are alot of Dashas out there. 

• Cool 3

[CAIN]
Players
4,388 posts
18,527 battles

Awesome, thx!

I want to replace both, the picture and name of basically all dashas except the russian one.

Most importanat one would be the IJN Dasha.

[BLITZ]
Modder
4,725 posts
8,789 battles

Replacing the pictures is very simple (and more important) client version independend. If you also want to change the names then you have to update this mod everytime when the client is changing. 

All Dashas have their own ID, that is linked to a name:

Spoiler

msgid "IDS_DASHA_FR"
msgstr "Dasha Perova"

msgid "IDS_DASHA_GE"
msgstr "Dasha Perova"

msgid "IDS_DASHA_JP"
msgstr "Dasha Perova"

msgid "IDS_DASHA_PZ"
msgstr "Dasha Perova"

msgid "IDS_DASHA_RU"
msgstr "Dasha Perova"

msgid "IDS_DASHA_UK"
msgstr "Dasha Perova"

msgid "IDS_DASHA_US"
msgstr "Dasha Perova"

You find these data in the global.mo file in the World_of_Warships_EU/res/texts/en/LC_MESSAGES/... folder. You have to put your modified version of this file into the /res_mods/... instead. In this modified version you can change the name in the line msgstr "Dasha Perova" into everything you want (msgstr "firstname lastname"). But to be honest, that is a lot of work. I need a whole afternoon just to replace all names in my mod. And you have to do this every update, as Wargaming updates the global.mo file also every patch. If you use your old version, you will get error messages in some texts ingame. 

It is way more easier to just replace the pictures. For example, if you want to replace the japanese Dasha you only need a picture you want in *.png format and it is recommended that is somehow square (same length and height) name it Dasha_JP.png and put this file into this folder: (client version)/res_mods/gui/crew_commander/base/japan/.

• Cool 3

Alpha Tester
18,781 posts
6,105 battles

Can't you use a regex replace on the .mo file? ( Also how many names do you change in your mod? ). Sounds like it's simpler to write a script to do your renaming then to do it manually each time. 

Sorry if I'm taking this to off topic, I was thinking you might turn it into a simple tutorial for a simple mod ( and yet I want to ask these questions :cap_like: ). 

[BLITZ]
Modder
4,725 posts
8,789 battles
Just now, mtm78 said:

Can't you use a regex replace on the .mo file? ( Also how many names do you change in your mod? ). Sounds like it's simpler to write a script to do your renaming then to do it manually each time. 

That's what I do. But you cannot manipulate the *.mo file direct. At first you have to convert this file into a *.po file format. And for convenience this again into a text format (like *.xml). And then I also use a script to replace the names. But for some russians transcriptions I have to replace manually. After all replacements you have to change all file formats back xml -> po -> mo. 

• Cool 1

Players
3,339 posts
16,155 battles

Sorry for butting in here, but I am particularly interested in this thread.

I try to keep track of my captains (skill points, assigned ship, etc) in a spreadsheet.

The trouble is that Wargaming (in their infinite wisdom) have sometimes assigned me captains with the same name, and this makes it messy to track them.
Thus I have for Italy, two captains named "Ottavio Lorenzoni".
For Japan, three called "Yasuhiro Nishi" and two called "Kiyoshi Kawashima".
The USA has two called "Peter Reed".
The Soviet Navy has three called "Stanislav Grigoryev" and two called "Aleksey Rublyov".

I know that you CAN change the name of the captain when you recruite them manually - but all these have been assigned by Wargaming without me having the chance to change the name.

Alpha Tester
18,781 posts
6,105 battles
59 minutes ago, principat121 said:

That's what I do. But you cannot manipulate the *.mo file direct. At first you have to convert this file into a *.po file format. And for convenience this again into a text format (like *.xml). And then I also use a script to replace the names. But for some russians transcriptions I have to replace manually. After all replacements you have to change all file formats back xml -> po -> mo. 

I almost forgot but that's about how ship name selector worked if I'm not mistaken, thanks for the info. I recon the extraction/conversion tools are listed somewhere in the mod section?

20 minutes ago, Admiral_H_Nelson said:

I know that you CAN change the name of the captain when you recruite them manually - but all these have been assigned by Wargaming without me having the chance to change the name.

Would be nice to have something like ship name selector but for your captains. 

edit: talked with maker of ship name selector, sadly not possible for normal commanders. 

• Cool 2

[BLITZ]
Modder
4,725 posts
8,789 battles
20 minutes ago, mtm78 said:

edit: talked with maker of ship name selector, sadly not possible for normal commanders. 

Just wanted to write the same. Sadly, it is not possible for the ordinary commanders.

The same is true for the appearance; as there are also multiple captains with same pictures. You cannot individually change pictures. 

• Cool 1

[BLITZ]
Modder
4,725 posts
8,789 battles

@Jethro_Grey

If you are still interested I could offer you my help. Just show me the pictures and tell me the names you want to see into the game. If it is not too much effort, I can make this small mod for you. But I cannot promise to keep this mod updated.

• Cool 1

Weekend Tester
807 posts
9,109 battles

It makes you wonder why WG couldn't just cut and paste the whole "barracks" system from WoT, including the facility to re-name and/or re-image crew members in the "personal file".

On the same theme, why don't they also develop or buy in a decent in-game ship stats resource? That one little scroll list is pretty tedious now that many players have 200+ ship records to search.

• Cool 2

[CAIN]
Players
4,388 posts
18,527 battles

180px-Mina_Ura.png.3da77bb20cf021f141a3e15ccde689d4.pngmina_ura_h18.png.f6e60ae5beca3d965aa9b06d36cae15e.png

Much appreciated @principat121!!

The 1.st one Mina Hurray for IJN.

The one to the right, Liz Marten for the US.

[CAIN]
Players
4,388 posts
18,527 battles
4 minutes ago, principat121 said:

@Jethro_Grey

quick & dirty

I didn't test it, but this should replace and rename the two desired Dashas for you. I guess you know how to unpack and copy it into your res_mods folder, do you?!

Dasha_for_Jethro_0.8.8.1.rar

Thank you!

test it immediately, i have to restart the client?

[BLITZ]
Modder
4,725 posts
8,789 battles
5 minutes ago, Jethro_Grey said:

i have to restart the client?

always

the global.mo file is only loaded when the client starts

• Cool 1

[BLITZ]
Modder
4,725 posts
8,789 battles
28 minutes ago, Jethro_Grey said:

Doesn't seem to work, shows still Dasha.

What about the names?

Did you copy & paste the file into the correct folder?

EDIT

I do not have the american or japanese Dasha, so I cannot confirmed it firsthand, but I just checked the files again, and I cannot find a mistake. 

:cap_hmm:

EDIT2:

As replacing the pictures is the easiest part, and works client version independent, I have to assume that the files aren't in the correct folders. Copied correctly at least the two event-pictures you choose should be there. 

EDIT3:

You should have a folder like this: .../World_of_Warships_EU/res_mods/0.8.8.1

And the archive from above contains the same 0.8.8.1 folder. 

[CAIN]
Players
4,388 posts
18,527 battles
33 minutes ago, principat121 said:

What about the names?

EDIT

I do not have the american or japanese Dasha, so I cannot confirmed it firsthand, but I just checked the files again, and I cannot find a mistake. 

EDIT2:

As replacing the pictures is the easiest part, and works client version independent, I have to assume that the files aren't in the correct folders. Copied correctly at least the two event-pictures you choose should be there. 

EDIT3:

The folder is in place. 

I forgot to check the names tho and I left and be tomorrow back. 

I‘ll check the folder and pictures  again for correct size and report back.

Thank you for the effort and your help, much appreciated!

[CAIN]
Players
4,388 posts
18,527 battles
33 minutes ago, principat121 said:

What about the names?

EDIT

EDIT2:

EDIT3:

The folder is in place. 

I forgot to check the names tho and I left and be tomorrow back. 

I‘ll check the folder and pictures  again for correct size and report back.

Thank you for the effort and your help, much appreciated!

[BLITZ]
Modder
4,725 posts
8,789 battles

@Jethro_Grey

I do not have the japanese or american Dasha, but I do have the french one. So, for testing purposes I altered her appearance as well. 

global.mo part

Spoiler

As you can see, I altered three names, the french, the american and the japanese. 

1.jpg.08ef7a31d7fce5f533d66e21620be5d3.jpg

picture part

Spoiler

Here you can see the picture I choosed and on top the folder structure. I just copied the american one. There are also folders for USA and Japan.

2.jpg.fb2406969383730c9332131858213b41.jpg

result

Spoiler

As you can see the name as well as the appearance is altered. 

3.jpg.3e054057c1a552df602e382b5f519048.jpg

So, I conclude that the mod works properly as well with the other two Dashas.

Just make sure that the files and folders are on the correct positions! 

Have fun!

:cap_like:

[CAIN]
Players
4,388 posts
18,527 battles

Still no joy, neither the pic nor the name.

Maybe i'm just too stupid.

The folders GUI and Texts are in D:\Games\World_of_Warships\res_mods\0.8.8.1

Should i rename the WoWS folder to World_of_Warships_EU? @principat121

EDIT: renaming the folder causes the launcher to spew an error message.

[BLITZ]
Modder
4,725 posts
8,789 battles
12 minutes ago, Jethro_Grey said:

Should i rename the WoWS folder to World_of_Warships_EU? @principat121

That is really strange and surprising! With what you wrote the mod should work, as I did the same and the mod works for me. As depicted above the name and the picture is modded. 

Do you use the Wargaming Center to update your client?! I once uninstalled the client and installed it again with the WGC and since then the client folder is named "_EU". Okay, maybe this suggestion is a little bit over the top, but I would try to repair the client and if the mod still not works, I would reinstall the whole game with the WGC. 

• Cool 1