Jump to content
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
MadBadDave

Why are DD's so poor these days.

482 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[INTRO]
[INTRO]
Players
1,469 posts
20,732 battles
3 hours ago, Padds01 said:

i think its a problem across the board with this game , unless you have a strong motivation to win you tend to have to choose between playing well and having fun.

It is fun to play well and win!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CATS]
Players
32,406 posts
16,210 battles
20 minutes ago, valrond said:

Cruisers? sometimes it happens.

BBs? come back with a screenshot when all enemy BBs are dead within the first 5 minute mark.

That is exactly my point.

The DD "strength" lies in their vulnerability. It is easier to take them out than other classes. That why you should focus them. That is what wins games.

It is not that the DD is a strong class in itself.

 

 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
19,378 posts
6,105 battles
1 minute ago, ColonelPete said:

It is not that the DD is a strong class in itself.

 

Depends on enemy team's ability to actually kill them. The longer a game lasts, the stronger DD's become. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CATS]
Players
32,406 posts
16,210 battles
9 minutes ago, mtm78 said:

 

Depends on enemy team's ability to actually kill them. The longer a game lasts, the stronger DD's become. 

When they are killed in 5 minutes, then the enemy knows what he is doing.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
19,378 posts
6,105 battles
21 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

When they are killed in 5 minutes, then the enemy knows what he is doing.

 

It would appear so, or the DD's actually misplayed. Doesn't change the influence DD's have the longer they stay alive tho does it :)

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TRID]
Players
292 posts
5,630 battles
1 minute ago, mtm78 said:

 

It would appear so, or the DD's actually misplayed. Doesn't change the influence DD's have the longer they stay alive tho does it :)

Presumably by that logic the DD player then also knows what he is doing if surviving for longer than 5 minutes, so not surprising they have a greater influence. Not unreasonable to think that's the case

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[S-O-M]
Players
657 posts
5 hours ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

https://wows-numbers.com/player/556857936,MadBadDave/

Here are your own stats. Perhaps you could answer the question yourself....

Thanks for the short cut, BBs played a lot for weeks not bad, cruisers hate (have shiny and Gneisenau, so not needed). Cvs getting into; solely to discover how to counter air attacks, which had merely reinforced my opinion that cvs are op, today’s realisation; even a total muppet can cause damage to any other ship class from the safety of the map edge, and there isn’t a thing said other classes can do about it.

 

DD’s I play in fits and starts, I don’t rush to the cap, I spot, provide smoke and try to be a pain as much as possible to reds, in spite of MM, the best kills so far have seen My T8 lightning dev strike a Conk and Republique, 

 

And yes I can torp dodge as a BB, a fletcher tried to torp my Alabama at 4.3km.

 

RE the OP, DDs are the hardest class and the most thankless, and with subs coming they’ll be one of the most important, Cvs can’t be everywhere 😏.   The standard especially higher tier is poor, just had another fight in Bis, with 1 Cv and 1 Dd, ours a Friesland was the first ship to die, rushing around like a headless chicken, reds dd was a fletcher (which I killed 😏), but not until the last 5 mins of the game.

 

So yes average combined DD stats , check out Gadjah, Gearing and lightning, ships that face radar, cvs, dakka cruisers, not great but not average 😏

 

As with good cvs and bad cvs the difference stands out a mile.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
19,378 posts
6,105 battles

 

7 minutes ago, TheAlba2014 said:

Presumably by that logic the DD player then also knows what he is doing if surviving for longer than 5 minutes, so not surprising they have a greater influence. Not unreasonable to think that's the case

 

I like your signature. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,116 posts
1 hour ago, Yedwy said:

I decided to not bother with any ships staht dont have a smoke or a heal unless they are grinds...

Im slowly heading to the same realization :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NKK]
Beta Tester
881 posts
11,570 battles
1 hour ago, ColonelPete said:

That is exactly my point.

The DD "strength" lies in their vulnerability. It is easier to take them out than other classes. That why you should focus them. That is what wins games.

It is not that the DD is a strong class in itself.

 

 

They are only more vulnerable if the players put themselves in bad situations. They are the hardest to spot and are key to spotting, that is why people focus on them. DDs are the strongest not because they do more damage, that they don't, but because they allow your teammates to do damage. As a fellow player said before, I ask the same from destroyers: to spot.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CHUCK]
Players
46 posts
12,397 battles
1 hour ago, Butterdoll said:

I only request one thing from dds.

to spot, nothing more, nothing less

Deal Sir!

But I will not spot for you, but will be spotted with my French DD with a detection range of 7.1 km, so that the enemy will shoot me and thus get spotted for you > ok for you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CATS]
Players
32,406 posts
16,210 battles
7 minutes ago, valrond said:

They are only more vulnerable if the players put themselves in bad situations. They are the hardest to spot and are key to spotting, that is why people focus on them. DDs are the strongest not because they do more damage, that they don't, but because they allow your teammates to do damage. As a fellow player said before, I ask the same from destroyers: to spot.

But you have to, otherwise the enemy DD remain unspotted and the caps go to the enemy.

I am not sure if you feel comfortable when your DD just spot the enemy capital ships, but leave enemy DD and the caps alone. I would not be.

 

Games are won when the players of all classes play together.

When your DD spot, but the remaining ships stay back and cannot threaten the spotted enemy, all the spotting is for nothing.

That is one situation where you can lose your DD easily as they try to take care of the enemy DD alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NKK]
Beta Tester
881 posts
11,570 battles
30 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

But you have to, otherwise the enemy DD remain unspotted and the caps go to the enemy.

I am not sure if you feel comfortable when your DD just spot the enemy capital ships, but leave enemy DD and the caps alone. I would not be.

 

Games are won when the players of all classes play together.

When your DD spot, but the remaining ships stay back and cannot threaten the spotted enemy, all the spotting is for nothing.

That is one situation where you can lose your DD easily as they try to take care of the enemy DD alone.

Who says to spot only the capital ships? You have to spot everything, but you have to know your limits. DDs should spot at least the cruisers, so that friendly BBs can shoot at them. But it is sooo often that the friendly DD goest to the cap, gets spotted, smokes up, stays in smoke and dies. A smart DD will try to cap if the cap is free or if it has support from his team, if not, well, just spot outside the cap and throw some area denial torps, what you can't do is try to win the game early on.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CATS]
Players
32,406 posts
16,210 battles
14 minutes ago, valrond said:

Who says to spot only the capital ships? You have to spot everything, but you have to know your limits. DDs should spot at least the cruisers, so that friendly BBs can shoot at them. But it is sooo often that the friendly DD goest to the cap, gets spotted, smokes up, stays in smoke and dies. A smart DD will try to cap if the cap is free or if it has support from his team, if not, well, just spot outside the cap and throw some area denial torps, what you can't do is try to win the game early on.

And that is where you risk your ship. As soon as you enter the cap, you are at risk.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[DKK]
Players
187 posts
4,124 battles

i have to disagree, i currently drive frence tier 8 BB, and keep getting blown up by DDs main guns, they only need to fire one shot to kill me,  and they dont really need to hit me either just a little  of the bow or stern and i am gone,  even with the no detonation flag mounted, boom im gone,   i just took out 2 BBS in a awsome head to head fight, and had roughly 50% Hp left then i ran across a DD with almost no HP, he fired one shot with his main guns and hit me right on the railing on my bow and Booom i was gone, yes i was flooding fron a single torpedo hit but with this much HP that shouldent pose any threat. pleas explain to me how this works?  yes i had the flag and no i was not showing him anything other than my bow, i  fired too but my shots never made it to his hull i dont know why, and no splaches nothing.   

 

as i understand it and has been told reapatedly the last 2 years, dd cannot sink a BB with mainguns, i have studied every single HOW it Works video and had a diaglog with the staff on the matter, and they concurred,  but after this last update ow some DDs  have a firepower that surpasses even the biggest BB in the game an one second reload time for torps , and that makes me frustrated, now it has become a sad excuse for what it once was.

  • Funny 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[L4GG]
Players
3,470 posts
11,259 battles
1 hour ago, OseiP said:

Deal Sir!

But I will not spot for you, but will be spotted with my French DD with a detection range of 7.1 km, so that the enemy will shoot me and thus get spotted for you > ok for you?

I know that.

But many dds just don't spot or are quick dropping smoke while undetected., concealing the target in the process.

Not spotting can put a team in a disadvantage.

And others dds just go strait to a knife fight without necessity, and a few get killed in the process.

So, be safe and spot for the team

 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CATS]
Players
32,406 posts
16,210 battles
10 minutes ago, kenalb said:

as i understand it and has been told reapatedly the last 2 years, dd cannot sink a BB with mainguns, i have studied every single HOW it Works video and had a diaglog with the staff on the matter, ...

Did you talk to the staff of the muppet show?

Just look at your BB armor layout. There are enough areas were DD guns can hurt a BB. That is common knowledge.

 

Btw, if you want help, show a replay. Otherwise it is a guessing game.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
4,852 posts
21,218 battles

The new no cap mentality I can understand to some degree, but the zero spotting camping behind BB line DD's I see too often these days are doing me in. I just can't click my brain around those...

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[AAO]
Players
1,597 posts
21,623 battles
55 minutes ago, kenalb said:

as i understand it and has been told reapatedly the last 2 years, dd cannot sink a BB with mainguns, i have studied every single HOW it Works video and had a diaglog with the staff on the matter, and they concurred,  but after this last update ow some DDs  have a firepower that surpasses even the biggest BB in the game an one second reload time for torps

This is...

Spoiler

 

 

  • Funny 1
  • Angry 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
4,392 posts
12,107 battles

Like already posted: DD's are in a very hard spot nowadays. Radar, CV and no proper backup. Frankly I can't be arsed to play them in the current meta. It's getting boring very quickly to only function as a shooting scout for teammates laying in the Andromeda galaxy. Same as risking to be the first blood donor to try to cap without backup. In a push a BB usually is in charge. Cruisers feel safer when a BB is present to soak up the damage and hit like trucks. The trick is to always plan a exit strategy in a BB since DD's and cruisers will happily feed you to the crows in the sight of trouble an leave you to rot. Positioning is the main skill a BB player must learn in order to have some impact in the game. And no: there is no "one, guaranteed tactic which work all the times." My trick is to push on a position where I think I might pose the biggest threat to cruisers. Hoping they'll think twice about opening up to my DD's. Yet in a place where I can still bail and live to fight another minute. And with that trying to align myself to create as much crossfires as possible with other BB's.

Perhaps this will help you in your struggle, OP.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[POP]
Players
694 posts
13,639 battles
5 hours ago, Butterdoll said:

I only request one thing from dds.

to spot, nothing more, nothing less

 

The problem is, spotting doesn't get rewarded by xp and credits.

 

Thus I either go solo hunt things in my DD or play another class. Spotting is for those who want to make your game.

  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NKK]
Beta Tester
881 posts
11,570 battles
2 minutes ago, Altsak said:

 

The problem is, spotting doesn't get rewarded by xp and credits.

 

Thus I either go solo hunt things in my DD or play another class. Spotting is for those who want to make your game.

And here we have the problem People that don't give a damn about winning and their teammates.

Spotting is part of the Destroyer duties, in fact, it is the main duty of the DD in this game, that is why they have such a low concealment. It is because of players like yourself that the game is in the drain. I hope to never have you in my own team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[L4GG]
Players
3,470 posts
11,259 battles
17 minutes ago, Altsak said:

 

The problem is, spotting doesn't get rewarded by xp and credits.

 

Thus I either go solo hunt things in my DD or play another class. Spotting is for those who want to make your game.

wrong.

spotting is for those who want to win games.

And that you said it's not practical, the going solo part. At least at the beginning of the games.

One thing I don't get, and I saw this today many times.

A dd enters a cap, planes show up, there. now the dd has ticks like a dog.

Some of those games I and others are around 8 kms from the dd,, but the dd doesn't make a effort to lure those planes to an AA bubble.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CATS]
Players
32,406 posts
16,210 battles
1 hour ago, Ferry_25 said:

Like already posted: DD's are in a very hard spot nowadays. Radar, CV and no proper backup. Frankly I can't be arsed to play them in the current meta. It's getting boring very quickly to only function as a shooting scout for teammates laying in the Andromeda galaxy. 

Just take the right DD.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×