Flandre Bug Read more... ×
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Systergummi

Old gems rediscoverded?

29 comments in this topic

[-GGS-]
Players
496 posts
11,221 battles

So regrinding lines has not been all bad. I am going back over the russian DDs and having a blast. My winrate is thriving and it got me re-evaluating some old horrors.

I used to hate t6... might have been the old MM but right now I find it quite enjoyable. The Gnevny might not have been a blast, it was however not close to being a bad ship. Only wins and I even got a game close to 2600xp.

Then came ranked t6, playing T61 and I could not carry if my life depended on it. Its a great ship but without support you are smoked and torps are no good for reliably farming damage (starsaving). So I tried Genvny and it was a beast. So why not try Anshan, even better and then Fushun... Wow Mama.

Fushun is fast enough to gunboat. Has the russian railguns with great range (AFT), decent consealment, 8km torps with 0.8km detection and Pan Asian smoke (5 charges with premium). Sure the turrets need lube and you cant torp DDs but still, its a monster that I will revisit a lot.

What gems have you guys found that had been lost to you?

• Cool 1

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
5,532 posts
26,146 battles
2 minutes ago, Systergummi said:

What gems have you guys found that had been lost to you?

Had a game with 3 tier 4 CVs per team, if that counts.

• Funny 5

[-GGS-]
Players
496 posts
11,221 battles
3 minutes ago, 22cm said:

Had a game with 3 tier 4 CVs per team, if that counts.

I guess a lot of people are re-discovering the joy of low tier carrier sealclubbing. Im avoiding tiers 3-5 at the moment :fish_nerv:

[JRM]
Players
7,475 posts

I had nice time with T-22 and Nurnberg regrinds, Gneisenau was ok as well and the entire french cruiser line esp T7 onwards...

• Cool 1

[SHAD]
Players
3,434 posts
14,139 battles

Thoroughly enjoyed the Buddyonny - Schors - Chapayev - Dm Donskoi grind.

I enjoy the Moskva also when I find a nice place to park.

• Cool 1

[-GGS-]
Players
496 posts
11,221 battles
18 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

I had nice time with T-22 and Nurnberg regrinds, Gneisenau was ok as well and the entire french cruiser line esp T7 onwards...

Wow did you reset everything :Smile_amazed:

[JRM]
Players
7,475 posts

Nope first french cruisers, then IJN cvs (I am already done with those lines) and german tree (currently at bizmarck, yorck and gaede) thats it, didnt use freexp conversions either

• Cool 1

[CKBK]
Players
315 posts
13,612 battles

Strangely enough the original ships from the game are the most enjoyable ones(and the most balanced ones). So, for me the "old gems" are the best. 

• Cool 2

Players
10,325 posts
12,044 battles
1 hour ago, Europizza said:

Mogami is a love rediscovered, 152 mm all the way.

Maybe you should ask for refund, because mine have 155mm guns:cap_hmm:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 7

[-GGS-]
Players
496 posts
11,221 battles
3 hours ago, Yedwy said:

Nope first french cruisers, then IJN cvs (I am already done with those lines) and german tree (currently at bizmarck, yorck and gaede) thats it, didnt use freexp conversions either

Impressive. I only did the Khaba/Groz line. Im currently at Ognevoi and Tashkent. I already loved Minsk, Kiev was better then I thought.

The real suprise was probably Ognevoi. Only 3 games so far but 2500, 2550 and 2300xp... now Im dreading to take it out... Dont want to jinx it.

[SCRUB]
Players
5,760 posts
14,436 battles

None, I won't regrind any lines, screw them.

But I skipped the entire RU BB line on EU with fxp and recently used the Sinop in ranked on NA, surprised by how balanced she is.

edit: Oh - also, won the Leningrad ages ago and never played her. Did it in ranked and she's great (knew that just from the stats in port, but I simply don't play wows often anymore).

• Cool 3

Players
1,285 posts
7,112 battles

I don't want to regrind the lines. However, after I found out I was bad in Japanese heavy cruisers, I bought Furutaka back to gain more experience. She's a great ship and I think she will not be sold anytime soon.

• Cool 4

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,631 posts
6,096 battles
4 hours ago, Europizza said:

The Mogami doesn't have 152mm guns :Smile-_tongue: Do you mean 155's?

[AMOK]
Players
1,966 posts
8,688 battles
Vor 1 Stunde, Europizza sagte:

giphy.gif

• Funny 7

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,886 posts
18,100 battles

Just regrinding US BB line, all fine until I re-discovered that for no obvious reason the North Carolina only has 19% torpedo protection. Colorado a tier earlier has 37% and even the "I am so bad vs torpedos that I need to have hydro" Bismarck has 22%.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
5,562 posts
22,154 battles

Not regrinding anything, but still playing a lot of my low/mid tier ships, as always...

Nice to have a few more competitive targets in that tier ranges, though... if only I wouldn't get teamed up with the T10 potatoes that RB'd to potato anew from the start

Players
4,391 posts
12,087 battles

IDK about the whole regrind thing OP. Being a pathologic collector I still have every ship I originally grinded... Yes even the T1's. Right now in a blinking light relationship with wows. IDK if I'm back or not but I have spammed coops for the aniv rewards and I had a blast. I even managed to lose 2 matches! And some randoms as well. I lost my way through the T6 soviet BB. Not doing that bad IMO but winning was strictly forbidden. With Sinop I'm having a blast.

Regarding the question: if I fully return I'll do what I've always done: jump back into low tier ships and give it a shot. And indeed: with ongoing knowledge the nightmares I had back then turn into total heaven matches now. Ohama f.e. If you do anything not to get hit, it can be such a PIA!!! It yielded me a report or 2 when I took it out.

• Funny 1

[-GGS-]
Players
496 posts
11,221 battles
2 hours ago, Ferry_25 said:

And indeed: with ongoing knowledge the nightmares I had back then turn into total heaven matches now. Ohama f.e. If you do anything not to get hit, it can be such a PIA!!! It yielded me a report or 2 when I took it out.

Jupp, Ive underestimated an Omaha or two. It can turn ugly really fast in a DD. Some are food, but sometimes they bite back. :crab:

[-GG-]
[-GG-]
Players
373 posts
21,943 battles

NTC found a real Cullinan for me - Helena

I didn't played her before because of the DesMoines/Worcester split. Insane powerhouse of 3x5 supplemented by IFHE+DE. Helena holds my personal best in fires set in one standard game: 23.

As soon as I get some credits I will rebuy it for sure and keep in port.

The second one is obviously Mogami 155

For me the  most enjoyable ship among those that are in tech-tree.    

• Cool 2

[OMPG]
Beta Tester
381 posts
6,686 battles
On 9/29/2019 at 1:10 AM, Ubertron_X said:

Just regrinding US BB line, all fine until I re-discovered that for no obvious reason the North Carolina only has 19% torpedo protection. Colorado a tier earlier has 37% and even the "I am so bad vs torpedos that I need to have hydro" Bismarck has 22%.

Historically North Carolina design skimped on torp protection due to speed given priority. Colorado was a slow BB design and had her underwater protection signifacantly upgraded in 1930s. So guess 19% for NC is warranted due to historical reasons.

"NORTH CAROLINA was damaged by a submarine torpedo which struck the port side abreast No. I Turret. The holding bulkhead failed and permitted limited flooding inboard. The torpedo protection system in way of the hit is thinner than amidships as necessitated by the speed characteristics. Abreast Turret I there is one less torpedo protection bulkhead and, therefore, one less torpedo protection layer on either side of the ship. The Bureau has given consideration to the addition of blisters and to certain recommendations for increased underwater protection. Blisters have not been added principally due to their adverse effect on speed." 

http://ibiblio.org/hyperwar/NHC/WarDamageReports/WarDamageReportBB55/WarDamageReportBB55.html

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,886 posts
18,100 battles
7 hours ago, TohtoriP said:

Historically North Carolina design skimped on torp protection due to speed given priority. Colorado was a slow BB design and had her underwater protection signifacantly upgraded in 1930s. So guess 19% for NC is warranted due to historical reasons.

"NORTH CAROLINA was damaged by a submarine torpedo which struck the port side abreast No. I Turret. The holding bulkhead failed and permitted limited flooding inboard. The torpedo protection system in way of the hit is thinner than amidships as necessitated by the speed characteristics. Abreast Turret I there is one less torpedo protection bulkhead and, therefore, one less torpedo protection layer on either side of the ship. The Bureau has given consideration to the addition of blisters and to certain recommendations for increased underwater protection. Blisters have not been added principally due to their adverse effect on speed." 

http://ibiblio.org/hyperwar/NHC/WarDamageReports/WarDamageReportBB55/WarDamageReportBB55.html

Different classes, I know, but please:

Silver ship North Carolina (North Carolina class): 19% torpedo protection

Premium ship Alabama (South Dakota class): 49% torpedo protection

Premium ship Massachusetts (South Dakota class): 46% torpedo protection

Historic reasons....

• Funny 1

[OMPG]
Beta Tester
381 posts
6,686 battles
1 hour ago, Ubertron_X said:

Different classes, I know, but please:

Silver ship North Carolina (North Carolina class): 19% torpedo protection

Premium ship Alabama (South Dakota class): 49% torpedo protection

Premium ship Massachusetts (South Dakota class): 46% torpedo protection

Historic reasons....

Well the one of the design principles of the South Dakotas was to rectify the known weak underwater protection of North Carolina design. South Dakota-class underwater protection was tested and then even redesigned during the building process so I think that these values are relatively speaking closer to truth than one might think at first sight. All in all South Dakotas were better designed and thus were much better protected than North Carolinas. Then of course we can think that why these are on the same tier as NC class... but i digress.

• Cool 3