Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Sayuri_Valintine

Wow's Training Group

12 comments in this topic

Players
26 posts
7,560 battles

I'm a little hesitant to post this topic and I'm sure I'm, not the first to think of this for an idea but I couldn't find anything like this in the posts tho I admit I wasn't willing to go throw every single post for the past 5 years. I see A LOT of people complaining that players don't know what there doing but outside of that no really helpful criticism or advice and complain but are yet unwilling to teach. how can we expect the average player to improve if we just keep telling them they don't know how to play if we, in turn, don't tell them how to. I understand that there are a lot of guides out there from Text guides like the posts on this forum and video guides from CC's on youtube but reading and watching sometimes can only take one so far and can be kind of demoralizing watching a vid showing people getting easy Devstrikes then copying it only to get sub-par results, so I would like to pitch an idea to the community and see what kind of response I would get.

When I started playing Eve-online many years ago before Wow's one of the most helpful pieces of advice I got was to join a group called the "Eve university" at the time a fairly large friendly group of average and experienced players whose sole purpose was to help new and old players learn how to play and get batter at the game by teaching them in-game they would be there with you watching critic and generically teaching. I would like to introduce something similar to this in Wow's where people could post on a forum asking for help and learn from someone be willing to find them in-game to help teach them. this may just be me being very nieve to think there are people out there willing to help teach others but I for one am an average player that would still use some gameplay advice from the pro's and if I can and want to benefit from such an idea I'm sure others out there would like it as well.

So now that I have hopefully explained the premise enough for people to understand the point I'm trying to make I would like to know peoples thoughts on the idea whether there are there enough experienced players if any at all willing to put in the time to teach those willing to learn and how many people would like to benefit from such a system or clan. don't get me wrong I'm, not nieve enough to think that everyone in the game takes it as seriously as me and I'm not hopeful enough to think that everyone in-game wants to improve their gameplay but I would like to think there is enough out there to justify such an idea my end goal is to make a fairly large pool of experience that people willing can more easily tap in to. well let me know what your opinions are or if something like this already exists and also explain if it doses why it's not that well known all I ask is you take the idea seriously with honest replies and keep the toxic roasting light enough for me be able to post here again one day.

Beta Tester
1,131 posts
5,214 battles

I've tried helping some people before by playing games with them, but I don't find it an easy thing to do. Besides watching my own stuff I also have to pay attention to the other person. It would be a lot easier to help other people if WarGaming introduced a coaching system. The moment a coach joins he should see exactly the same screen as you. This will be handy in port but also in battle. Handy tools would be a drawing set for the coach, so that he can point out some things on your screen.

But hey, you can message me anytime for questions or whatever about this game. I might know the answer or I don't. xD

• Cool 1

Players
26 posts
7,560 battles

ye I was very surprised to see WG have no official discords for world of warships or any of there other games which could also be used as a workaround for screen sharing for people comfortable enough to do that but I do agree that without WG adding support for teaching or coaching it would have to be down to a fairly large and organized Clan and its members to pull something like this off and even then it would be a huge undertaking but saying that if this idea is popular enough and there is enough of a demand then perhaps WG would pay attention and try to add some new mechanics to help in the area. For now, I'm just seeing if people think the idea is worth pursuing.

Players
1,042 posts
4 minutes ago, Sayuri_Valintine said:

ye I was very surprised to see WG have no official discords for world of warships or any of there other games which could also be used as a workaround for screen sharing for people comfortable enough to do that but I do agree that without WG adding support for teaching or coaching it would have to be down to a fairly large and organized Clan and its members to pull something like this off and even then it would be a huge undertaking but saying that if this idea is popular enough and there is enough of a demand then perhaps WG would pay attention and try to add some new mechanics to help in the area. For now, I'm just seeing if people think the idea is worth pursuing.

Players have tried making an open one in discord, but it gets filled with so much off topic spam, and social political interaction / content, serious people who want to learn get board and leave. 

Beta Tester
1,131 posts
5,214 battles

If there is interest I can make a Discord server for it. I have some experience with creating and moderating Discord servers. From there on we can make a format; coaching system, rules, etcetera.

0 posts
On 9/25/2019 at 1:24 PM, LemonadeWarrior said:

If there is interest I can make a Discord server for it. I have some experience with creating and moderating Discord servers. From there on we can make a format; coaching system, rules, etcetera.

On 9/25/2019 at 11:54 AM, Orcinus1 said:

Players have tried making an open one in discord, but it gets filled with so much off topic spam, and social political interaction / content, serious people who want to learn get board and leave. 

On 9/25/2019 at 11:47 AM, Sayuri_Valintine said:

For now, I'm just seeing if people think the idea is worth pursuing

Personally, anywhere I stand a chance of finding out something new, getting constructive feedback and being able to have meaningful debate on improving my gameplay will always be of interest to me.

The helpme discord (https://discord.gg/XuB9WKG) is kind of doing this - true there is a lot more 'barely-constructive' 'irrelevant' banter among the 'elites' than might be expected, but when the serious questions get asked, they are generally very helpful and, having been a largely passive member for a good while, I don't recall any 'shaming' or (serious) toxic criticism which I think is pretty admirable!

For myself, I have submitted several replays for 'review' and there is normally someone willing to review and give feedback. One part of this that IS a shame is that often replies are in PM's so it's harder to learn from others mistakes - although that might be and intentional part of the careful moderation.

All of that sounds like a bit of a sales stint for the discord channel - it isn't really, I'm more just saying what's out there from the perspective of a barely-average player so you know. If it helps the 'thinking cap' any - whilst there are specific areas for captain builds etc, I have found often that it is hard to keep track of recent or historical questions and their answers in the general Q&A thread which is a pity when I feel I have questions that I'm sure have been asked before... but maybe repetition is just an accepted trait of teaching!!

If you start a server, I'd definetly join :Smile_honoring:

edit:

Spoiler

On the subject of replays and sharing them, for me, the absolute best way of getting one is like this, where the tutor records his commentary over the replay - if you do anything, please make this a requirement :). This is one that was done for one of my better games...

Players
26 posts
7,560 battles
On 9/26/2019 at 3:02 PM, Rusty_9 said:

Personally, anywhere I stand a chance of finding out something new, getting constructive feedback and being able to have meaningful debate on improving my gameplay will always be of interest to me.

I guess it would entirely depend on the set up they have if it has poor organization or lacking motivated admins it could hamper the goal of teaching others that being said I personly don't like the idea of joining someone else discord server and telling them how it should be run. do you have any weight in the server like some kind of admin? that would make me feel less bad about pitching server changes to them.

Tho only a few replies I'm glad to see there are others out there that see this as a worthwhile endeavor I'm also glad that none of the replies have been the standard classic "Get gud" response. the lack of responses from other people is disheartening tho and leads me to two conclusions 

A: We take it as a sign for lack of interest and leave it as is 

B: we start it regardless and build it up from a few to as many as we can

The one problem I can see with B is we would need people with not only the time and willingness but the talent needed to teach as well and finding those kinds of people could be the biggest challenge of building this tutoring community. depending on how large we would want to make it we would also need people that can speak and understand multiple languages. or just let others make there own for their language and follow are example.... if we make an example good enough to follow... have to stay hopeful and aim high right? 

508428242.png

0 posts
On 9/28/2019 at 8:54 AM, Sayuri_Valintine said:

guess it would entirely depend on the set up they have if it has poor organization or lacking motivated admins it could hamper the goal of teaching others that being said I personly don't like the idea of joining someone else discord server and telling them how it should be run. do you have any weight in the server like some kind of admin? that would make me feel less bad about pitching server changes to them.

I don't have any kind of admin role, sorry.

Be free to join and get a 'feel' for it - from observation, I don't think admin would be against suggestions, although I suspect it would more be along the lines of 'additional' ideas than necessarily changing what is already set up. Of course, you may find it already does/is what you have in mind anyway :Smile_honoring:

Players
26 posts
7,560 battles

ok thanks for the advice Rusty_9 I went ahead and jumped on there and it's kind of what I imagined my end goal to be like my only question is why is this not a well-known thing? I mean it seems like they're struggling in terms of Tutors as is so a large influx of players might be overwhelming but still it seems like it could be an incredibly useful tool for the community. 

• Cool 1

0 posts
20 hours ago, Sayuri_Valintine said:

why is this not a well-known thing?

I don't know tbh - it was advertised in a forum post in the newcomers section when launched (which is how I came across it), but no idea outside of that if/how it is advertised now. I have pointed a few in its direction, but mostly people who are looking to learn as opposed to people who might take on a tutor role. Of course, the goal would be to progress from student to teacher and threfore naturally grow the tutor base, but in reality... :cap_wander:

Do you know anyone who is keen (and able) to join as a tutor :cap_hmm:

Players
26 posts
7,560 battles

no sadly among my clan I would say I have the highest overall skill level I also take my growth more seriously than my other clan member and is why I was looking for outside help to improve.

508428242.png

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this