Flandre Bug Read more... ×
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
StarbuckTheThird

Recommend me a coal ship

55 comments in this topic

Players
60 posts
7,325 battles

so i'm 5k away from being able to afford any of the ships in the armoury that you can buy with coal. Wanna know what's best (or at least peoples opinion on them). Looking towards Tier X Battleship or Cruiser as they're the ones I enjoy, with a preference towards Cruisers as I'm more consistent with them and I'm leaning towards Smolensk because some people say they hate playing against them but wanna give them all their due consideration.

• Cool 1

[WGP2W]
Beta Tester
1,436 posts
7,103 battles

Well... Watch a lot of YouTube videos?

I got Smolensk, Salem and Thunderer as coal tier 10's, but the most fun one for me is Thunderer. The other two ships are extremely boring to play imho. I like the Thunderer, because I am not so good at playing battleships. It offers some kind of challenge for me, but perhaps for you it won't...

• Cool 1

Players
1,067 posts
15,102 battles

Tier 9 Coal ships have much better earning potential. So if you want credits buy T9 (Georgia/Jean Bart).

• Cool 5

[THESO]
Players
968 posts
9,170 battles

I can't tell you what to buy. But I can tell what to not buy. It's Georgia. Yes she is fast and everything but on the bottom line you have only 4 usable guns at tier 9. Yes she is an accurate BB. But she is a BB. You will miss a lot due to bad accuracy or simply due to RNG dispersion. And it really hurts to have only 4 guns at that moment...

[CHEFT]
Players
12,216 posts
9,841 battles

Dont want to sound negative, but im not sure if you will enjoy a T(9)/10 coal ship very much right now, since your highest silver ships are only T8.

Even tho, a lot of people always whine about T8 MM being against T10 ships, but at T10 you really have to work for your wins (or in general to have a decent game and not die fast).

• Cool 3

[NWP]
Players
3,370 posts
17,633 battles
5 hours ago, Kenjiro_ said:

It's Georgia. .... to have only 4 guns at that moment...

Last I heard Georgia had 6 guns...

OP: get to tier X in silver ships before buying "premium" ones. You'll most likely be usless in them, start hating the ship and whish you hadn't spend goodies on them.

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Players
4,506 posts
15,942 battles

Without having played it myself, Smolensk seems like a pretty newbie friendly ship tbh. If you have some survival skills at all, you should be able to farm damage and be a decent influence in most battles, even if you won't decide them.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Players
10,315 posts
12,044 battles

If you're after credits, then tier 9, Jean Bart or Georgia. If its tier 10 (which still makes decent buck due to absurdly low maintenance costs) then Yoshino, Smolensk and Salem.

Salem is sister ship of Des Moines, if that gives you any clue but with brit heal and worse radar. Least gimmicky of the three

Smolensk is basically russian Atlanta Flint - paper, armor, with smoke and lots of small caliber, quick reloading guns with good ballistics and range because Russia. She is devastating to destroyers and sets everyone else on fire.

Yoshino is large cruiser but japanese. HE pack hefty punch, 12km or 20km torpedo options, surprisingly stealthy for Yamato sized ship, but disturbingly fragile due to massively sticking out citadel Yamato style. Basically long range HE slinger that can *try* to close in during late game.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
175 posts
10,474 battles

If I can give you any advice I'd pick the Jean Bart. (Because the Musashi isn't available anymore). 

I own both the Smolensk and the Jean Bart. Like the others said, the Smol. is farigle and tends to be boring in the end. I don't have that experience with the JB. 

It's easy to handle, fast and has some nice consumables to boost her allready good performance. The rest of the coal ships I don't have. 

Let us know what your choice was m8. 

Cheers!

[-TPF-]
Players
4,464 posts
18,486 battles

Jean Bart. Bought it myself at the weekend and it's great. 

7 hours ago, DFens_666 said:

Dont want to sound negative, but im not sure if you will enjoy a T(9)/10 coal ship very much right now, since your highest silver ships are only T8.

Even tho, a lot of people always whine about T8 MM being against T10 ships, but at T10 you really have to work for your wins (or in general to have a decent game and not die fast).

That's me, as well. Even if you only play JB in Coop, you can still make a profit, get the higher tier rewards from events, and learn more about high tier ships, what they are, and what they can / can't do. It's more fun than going into those shark-infested waters in a stock Tier VIII.

Players
1,112 posts
11,989 battles
8 hours ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

I got Smolensk, Salem and Thunderer as coal tier 10's, but the most fun one for me is Thunderer. The other two ships are extremely boring to play imho. I like the Thunderer, because I am not so good at playing battleships. It offers some kind of challenge for me, but perhaps for you it won't...

Thunderer is very good.

[JRM]
Players
7,458 posts

@OP As people already mentioned - go T9 or Thunderor if you really want it to be a T10, IMHO neither Salem nor Yoshino are really beginner friendly ships and Smolensk is even less so, yes misplay CAN be compensated to a degree with her smoke in the sense of imminent survival BUT the smoke runs out and you gotta run around without it while its on cooldown and in the end you spend all the charges AND (and this is the biggest and) you need to know how to position with her to have any influence, when it boils down its a DOT "burn me down" ship which in itself aint that complicated on paper but actually positioning in a way to be able to do it and have influence on the outcome AND not get deleted in 2 min takes surprisingly lot of effort...

Players
2,511 posts
14,694 battles

To all advising to wait, been there myself, still got Missouri having the highest silver BB Bismarck. Effect? WR below 45% and no 1mln games.

OP do as you like, but as a TX you have to pull at least yours own weight in damage, and it should be well applied damage, not a few fires set on BBs from the max range.  Now we know most do not, but if you want to be XP pinata, then go ahead for Yoshino. Stay back, set some fires, try not to die early and you should be fine, at least credit wise. Edit Thunderer will forgive you more probably.

Players
7,517 posts
245 battles

Wait untill you pick up experience first since you will probs hate any of the ships as you will most likely misplay due to higher tiers being far more punishing at higher tiers than at mid and lower tiers usually.

If i had to suggest two its would be jean bart and georgia for their playstyles and credit earnings.

thunderer if you like semi-braindead game play and smolensk for brain-dead gameplay but are fun. (although so are the jean bart and georgia).

pretty much most of the ships above rely on ambush, flanking and opportunistic pushing to make the most of them and don't be affraid to brawl in either but do take care of miss georgias more fragile citadel and the fact she doesn't handle torpedoes all that well (making pushing with enemy dd's ahead very difficult).

Players
620 posts
20,441 battles

irian

-do dmg like moskva

-super fast reload

-have non-detectable deepwater extrem range 13,5km torps

-long-range fire

-officialy it is VIII tier, but it is  actually like X tier

-the best buy from the premium ships when you fight in VII-X tier

• Funny 1

[SHAD]
Players
3,421 posts
14,122 battles

The Irian is a very good ship.

so much fun to launch 20 torps at approaching battleships.

Not available for coal though and a strong T8 rather than tier 10.

Players
7,517 posts
245 battles
1 hour ago, Milan_G_ said:

irian

-do dmg like moskva

-super fast reload

-have non-detectable deepwater extrem range 13,5km torps

-long-range fire

-officialy it is VIII tier, but it is  actually like X tier

-the best buy from the premium ships when you fight in VII-X tier

its not for coal.

Beta Tester
1,985 posts
14,647 battles

Does anyone know if there will be a DD which you can obtain for coal soon?

Cause so far, none of the coalships were or are intresting for a me as a player who is mostly using DD. There are way to many BB and CA/CL for coal. It is time they bring some DD.

[-LA-]
Players
698 posts
5,347 battles

i just got the georgia. can not for the life of me get on with it . watched lots of vids looked to be right up my street got my hand on it , hate it. not sure that helps ;)

[CHEFT]
Players
12,216 posts
9,841 battles
5 minutes ago, Black_Sheep1 said:

Nothing announced atm. I assume you are talking about T9/10 here, as there are Coal DDs for lowertiers in the Armory.

Maybe at some point, but it also took them quite a while to give us a FreeXP DD. I guess they need inflation on the currency to justify higher prices for DDs :cap_yes:

There are a couple of TX premium DDs in testing however, so maybe one of those is gonna be coal

Hayate / Marceau / Paolo Emilio

Players
2,511 posts
14,694 battles
12 minutes ago, Black_Sheep1 said:

Cause so far, none of the coalships were or are intresting for a me as a player who is mostly using DD. There are way to many BB and CA/CL for coal. It is time they bring some DD.

Smolensk is a big DD with a citadel.  Or at least the closest thing to a DD they've come with.

Players
149 posts

Smolensk is the most OP, and it is especially good if you feel victimized when playing against it, because you get more relaxed as soon as you have your own, and can once again function normally and go about your business in the ships you actually find interesting once you got it out of your system.

If you're looking at clan battles though, Salem is very good as a cruiser counter with an extra anti-DD side specialty, which is important since per the Matchmaking, there are mostly cruisers there but also some DDs. On the other hand, Yoshino with an IFHE commander is specifically the Kremlin counter since it's basically the only ship that can keep reliably chunking Kremlin for five digits over and over again at range. And every serious team will bring a Kremlin next season.

• Cool 1

Players
2,106 posts
9,568 battles

So far I have only JB from the coal ships (obtained 'Aigle' as well from some of the containers during last event).

I'm still in training with her as I never liked BBs in the first place but bought her as a challenge. Mostly playing co-op with her, collecting some commander XP before I get the balls to sail into Random (have played only 15 Random battles with her, 7 wins). 

I'm close to 200k coal and as much as 'Thunderer' is appealing I believe I don't need another strong BB, at least not for now. I was always better and had much more fun playing cruisers. And right now (even tho I'm not there with coal yet) seems like I'll have a choice between 3 ships - Yoshino, Smolensk and Salem.

Honestly, it's a shame there are no more lower tier vessels for coal, especially in 6-8 tier. Then I wouldn't think much and would know they suit me better than a T9-10 ships I'm usually far away as far as skill and experience go...

• Cool 2