Jump to content

20 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Community Contributor
263 posts
18,130 battles

Hello and welcome once again everyone, after having played more than a 100 games in the Smolensk now I've realised the most fun way albeit risky to play this ship is in an advanced role fighting enemy destroyers and cruisers
while really having an impact on games in comparison to sitting deep and farming insane amounts of damage which although satisfying just doesn't feel quite rewarding enough. Win rates and fun factor increased significantly when playing
much more aggressively using both concealment expert and IFHE compared to all the range builds.

I've included the full ship build and captain skills for your convienance. I hope you all enjoy the video and until the next time keep sailing it like you stole it o7

 

 

 

My YouTube Channel link once again is Carbine Carlito

 

 I hope you feel free to drop by check out this and some of my other videos  and Good Luck and fair seas to you all.

  • Cool 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
56 posts

Thanks very much for this. I'll watch it later, but I've already seen some of your other guides and they are very good - so I expect this will be too.

 

I have about 12 games in the Smolensk and I'm really struggling with it. All I hear is it's OP this OP that, but I am utter cack in it.

 

I usually play DDs and lately BBs - I like an aggressive close-in playstyle (works well for me in IJN/USN DDs and also on certain BBs such as the Tirp, Bis, Warspite, Sinop) but in cruisers I generally suck. With DDs and BBs I feel pretty clear about where I should be and what I should be doing, but in Cruisers I tend to be all over the place.

 

I really enjoy cruisers (even tho I'm sh&t in them) and want to improve, but have to admit the sitting and spamming style is a bit dull - I'd much prefer fire & manoeuvre tactic, close in supporting DDs etc. Not sure if this style fits well with CA/CL - I have a tendency to get caught in the open with my pants down and subsequently blootered.

 

I'm borderline OK in the Fiji, and enjoyed the Mino but was really a liability in it so sold it.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-GG-]
Players
329 posts
18,695 battles
On 9/24/2019 at 6:22 PM, Adm_Ballsey said:

Hello and welcome once again everyone, after having played more than a 100 games in the Smolensk now I've realised the most fun way albeit risky to play this ship is in an advanced role fighting enemy destroyers and cruisers
while really having an impact on games in comparison to sitting deep and farming insane amounts of damage which although satisfying just doesn't feel quite rewarding enough. Win rates and fun factor increased significantly when playing
much more aggressively using both concealment expert and IFHE compared to all the range builds.

I've included the full ship build and captain skills for your convienance. I hope you all enjoy the video and until the next time keep sailing it like you stole it o7

 

 I hope you feel free to drop by check out this and some of my other videos  and Good Luck and fair seas to you all.

 

I would disagree with your build. 

 

CE - a waste of 4pts cause normally Smolensk should not try to get close or cap. And on open waters it is supposed to shoot all the time and make use od DPM, not to play seek and hide.

 

This 4pts of wasted CE one should normally spend for AFT that is far more rewarding than Range Module. You get then 16,5 instead of 16 km range.

Finally - with AFT - you would have slot 6 free for Reload Module, thus 4 or 3,5 sec reload (depending if one is using BTF or not).

 

I get Smolensk today and defnitely 3pts skill is SuperIntendent, 4pts is AFT.

I will try two builds - one for 19 km range (AFT+Range Module+IFHE+BFT+SI). Second for 16,5 km range (AFT+Reload Module+IFHE+Demolition Expert+SI) or the same but for lower reload time: BFT instead of DE.

 

GL

 

 

  • Cool 3
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Community Contributor
263 posts
18,130 battles

@radius77 I've played all the different range builds and there is nothing wrong with them. I think you simply misunderstood that I was suggesting was an alternate way to play the Smolensk, it's not about right or wrong. 
It's purely about personal choice and after experiencing different builds this is the one that I've found to be more personally rewarding.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[1701]
Players
37 posts
6,978 battles

i think this build is the best option for smolensk,  red circles base skill blue ones optional

 

for survivability PM+SE

for more fire    PM+DE

for melting cruisers IFHE

 

 

123.png.567ef050064e4de33bdb4e125d4edfc7.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
3,159 posts
3,608 battles

I have a quick question, and please forgive me if this has already been answered: How will the upcoming changes to the IFHE skill affect the Smolensk? Will it still be worth it to get her from the armoury?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Community Contributor
263 posts
18,130 battles
19 hours ago, Procrastes said:

I have a quick question, and please forgive me if this has already been answered: How will the upcoming changes to the IFHE skill affect the Smolensk? Will it still be worth it to get her from the armoury?

@Procrastes

From what I've heard so far the IFHE changes are still very much in flux and at least 6 months away maybe even longer. It's impossible to guage how much wargaming intend to change IFHE at this point as it seems to be a big stumbling block for them how to actually resolve it. The Smolensk is still an outstanding ship even without an IFHE build so if you have the Coal and enjoy a hybrid of destroyer/cruiser gameplay you will not be disappointed. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
3,159 posts
3,608 battles
On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 12:06 PM, Legend__md said:

i think this build is the best option for smolensk,  red circles base skill blue ones optional

 

for survivability PM+SE

for more fire    PM+DE

for melting cruisers IFHE

 

 

123.png.567ef050064e4de33bdb4e125d4edfc7.png

 

Good advice!

I'd have thought that the Concealment Expert skill would also have been highly desirable, for a survivability build if nothing else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
3,159 posts
3,608 battles
2 hours ago, Adm_Ballsey said:

@Procrastes

From what I've heard so far the IFHE changes are still very much in flux and at least 6 months away maybe even longer. It's impossible to guage how much wargaming intend to change IFHE at this point as it seems to be a big stumbling block for them how to actually resolve it. The Smolensk is still an outstanding ship even without an IFHE build so if you have the Coal and enjoy a hybrid of destroyer/cruiser gameplay you will not be disappointed. 

Thanks a bunch! :Smile_great:

I'm currently collecting coal at a frenetic pace, farming filth on the Twilight Sea as if there was no tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
9,834 posts
11,528 battles
23 hours ago, Procrastes said:

I have a quick question, and please forgive me if this has already been answered: How will the upcoming changes to the IFHE skill affect the Smolensk? Will it still be worth it to get her from the armoury?

IFHE currently enables her to do direct damage ONLY to T10 cruiser bow and stern, as 30mm amidship is out of reach. Assuming changes would go through as is (25% HE pen increase instead 30% and halved fire chance), you lose nothing in terms of HE penetration, as 27mm breakpoint is still in place, but you lose half of the fire chance instead usual 1%.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
3,159 posts
3,608 battles
2 minutes ago, Panocek said:

IFHE currently enables her to do direct damage ONLY to T10 cruiser bow and stern, as 30mm amidship is out of reach. Assuming changes would go through as is (25% HE pen increase instead 30% and halved fire chance), you lose nothing in terms of HE penetration, as 27mm breakpoint is still in place, but you lose half of the fire chance instead usual 1%.

Thanks, that answers most of the things I've been mulling about.  :Smile_great:

 

A follow-up question: Is the IFHE skill useful in any way when it comes to dealing direct damage to a ship's superstructure?

(If it isn't, I can't really see any reason why anyone would use IFHE on the Smolensk if the proposed IFHE-changes go through.)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
9,834 posts
11,528 battles
Just now, Procrastes said:

Thanks, that answers most of the things I've been mulling about.  :Smile_great:

 

A follow-up question: Is the IFHE skill useful in any way when it comes to dealing direct damage to a ship's superstructure?

(If it isn't, I can't really see any reason why anyone would use IFHE on the Smolensk if the proposed IFHE-changes go through.)

 

No. You have 21mm base HE pen, more than enough to touch all the superstructures as well "reinforced" 21mm hulls on Brit CV and Graf Zeppelin. Only point of picking IFHE is when you somehow just keep bumping into tier 9 and below cruisers without 30mm amidship. As usual firestarter + broadside brutalizer with AP, IFHE changes have no effect on her whatsoever.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
3,159 posts
3,608 battles
1 hour ago, Panocek said:

No. You have 21mm base HE pen, more than enough to touch all the superstructures as well "reinforced" 21mm hulls on Brit CV and Graf Zeppelin. Only point of picking IFHE is when you somehow just keep bumping into tier 9 and below cruisers without 30mm amidship. As usual firestarter + broadside brutalizer with AP, IFHE changes have no effect on her whatsoever.

Thanks, mate!

 

I type a question, and the answer is written out on my screen ten minutes later. It's like how computers worked in John Carpenter movies from the 80's. I love this forum community, really I do!

:Smile_veryhappy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
9,834 posts
11,528 battles
Just now, Procrastes said:

Thanks, mate!

 

I type a question, and the answer is written out on my screen ten minutes later. It's like how computers worked in John Carpenter movies from the 80's. I love this forum community, really I do!

:Smile_veryhappy:

More like I have nothing to do on my shift, so I sit here and shippost:cap_book:

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Community Contributor
263 posts
18,130 battles

@Procrastes The biggest advantage of using IFHE with Smolensk it the fact it gets 28mm of high explosive pentetration which allows you to penetrate both stern and bow sections of virtually all cruisers, you will penetrate most cruisers superstructure without IFHE just not the main deck sections. Check out the armor layout in port of some random tier 10 cruisers and you will see most have between 25-27mm of armor of stern and bow armor. It allows you to focus on different spots on targets not only to start multiple fires but to do penetration damage while doing so.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[WTFNO]
Players
128 posts

Unless your aim is Super Unicum, there'll be a steady number of shells hitting the main deck + bow/stern of cruisers. That alone makes IFHE feel worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
3,159 posts
3,608 battles
On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 11:18 PM, Lexmechanic said:

Unless your aim is Super Unicum, there'll be a steady number of shells hitting the main deck + bow/stern of cruisers. That alone makes IFHE feel worth it.

I just got me the Smolensk! I was stockpiling coal like a Siberian hamster, and collecting enough filth to last for an entire career as a border state politician - and then I realized that I could get a massive load of coal by simply trading in my Italian badges from that last bunch of directives! :Smile_coin:

 

As for the Super Unicum aim thing, it should be noted that whatever that is, I don't have it. According to my last post-battle screen in the Smolensk, I landed 95 shots on an enemy Montana, for a grand total of 5 635 damage and one (1) fire. Boy, do I suck...! :Smile_veryhappy:

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-RM-]
Beta Tester
2,088 posts
8,430 battles

Been playing with 2 builds, the most recent one is this one since it also works fairly well in clan wars:

Spoiler

185607c588.jpg

IFHE is nice versus cruisers, but honestly you don't exactly need it that much and can skip it for something else. That is one thing I do like with the Smolensk, you actually have several viable build options.

 

As for modules, I run reload mod for randoms where AFT is more than enough to cover the range need and range mod in clan wars because of flexibility.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Community Contributor
263 posts
18,130 battles

@ollonborre I used the stealth build with IFHE quite a bit during the recent clan battles season  and found it incredibly effective especially against the static holding cruisers like DMs, Moskvas Stalingrads etc. Typically well angled dug in well defended positions were simply unable to deal with the IFHE onslaught, sure you get less fires but everyone is set up optimally with flags builds etc so fire damage is only short term bonus which can be healed up. Being able to land 4-5k salvos every few seconds with the odd fire on top was incredibly effective. Having that extra concealment instead of range made disengaging just that little bit more comfortable. I totally agree with your point on the validity of multiple builds for the Smolensk, there is no right or wrong only extra options which is great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
3,159 posts
3,608 battles

Another game in the Smolensk and I seem to be getting better at driving her to something approaching her true potential.

 

I started out by backing up our Shima in contesting the nearest cap, doing some hit and runs and lobbing volleys at the incoming enemy ships as they popped in and out of view. There was an enemy Thunderer in particular, who had pushed all the way to the far side of the map, almost inside the cap area, and he got a lot of attention. He won't live long, I thought.

 

For some reason, our Graf Zeppelin started going full speed straight at the enemy lines, despite being asked to hold back. I didn't follow much of what happened to him after that, but seeing as he ended up at the bottom of the post-battle screen, I'd assume that he didn't fancy being in a tier X game and opted for a quick trip back to port.

 

The back-up from the rest of our team was great, however, with cruisers and battleships teaming up and pushing in like there was no tomorrow, but the enemy were no slouchs either and made us fight for every inch. I started pummeling a broadside Atago, but then I had to dodge away as a Worcester came in from the flank and took a real shine to me (as well he should, since a Worcester is well equipped to deal with a Smolensk). We got the enemy on the run, and the Worcester went down to a concentrated barrage just in time to save my bacon - but the fire kept coming in, because that was when the Thunderer joined in again (still alive and kicking) and started lobbing shells my way despite me sitting in a hastily deployed smoke screen. He was commendably accurate as well, and he had loaded HE, so there were a few tense moments before he pulled away out of range.

 

With the enemy line broken, we began encircling what was left of the opposing fleet. The Thunderer kept firing while retreating, but this time his number was definitely up because he was coming under continuous fire not only from me but from at least two other ships. Until he sank me with two well-placed salvoes, that is. I might have survived if I had smoked up instead of relying on my dodging skills, but then again I might not, because he had proved himself well able to hit me through a smoke screen and as he was still shooting HE it would have taken only a few hits to put me under. Great play by that Thunderer, and why couldn't he just die already?

 

With 948 points to the enemy's 452 and almost twice the number of ships, our victory seemed well in hand. Until the enemy Gearing started collecting caps and their Shokaku sank our Hindenburg, and that Thunderer is somehow still alive somewhere and could someone just find him and kill him a lot, please? Luckily that was when our Yamato came to the rescue, and proved herself more than a match for the Shokaku to deal with in the limited time span that remained. Then the Yamato and the Shima joined up and finally kicked the Thunderer to death, bagging a win on points and leaving only the Gearing alive of the enemy team to tell the tale of how they almost turned the tide of battle at the last moment.

 

A great battle and a real nail biter!

:Smile_great:

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×