You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Eagle_Six_TR

Radio Location on Battleships

32 comments in this topic

[FIMRA]
Players
36 posts
8,786 battles

This may sound ridiculous, but Radio Location helps me position better against dd's and not get caught off guard around island dd surprise attacks. However, now I burn like a torch the moment he shells touches my ship. I don't know what to do now, should I go full fire prevention build or not get blindfolded against enemy dds. Radio location helped me a lot, for example I go straight at them in my bb's and all their torps miss. (since they don't get an oppurtunity to land torps on my sides)

• Cool 1

[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles

let's say it's not a common pick on BBs, but if it works for you then all the better! :cap_like:

As for your captain build - we'd kinda need to know the entirety of it to give you any real advice about it, as well as which ship(s) you're talking about^^

[SHAFT]
Players
9,480 posts
8,832 battles

Stay with your DDs/Cruisers and Map awareness?

Sounds nice in theory, but if you improve your gameplay its most likely not necessary. You get more value out of other skills, like FP. If you really fear torps, you could take Vigilance.

Beta Tester
2,791 posts
7,088 battles

On BB's i wouldnt use RPF as a anti DD aid, usually the target indicator of how may aim witch is free gives me info about that, if i know there is a DD in the vicinity, and if the idicator shows a +1 lock for a moment then it dissapears, that usually means torps incoming, with practice it becomes a really good anti torp tool. 

:Smile_honoring:

• Cool 2

Players
1,611 posts
12 minutes ago, Eagle_Six_TR said:

This may sound ridiculous, but Radio Location helps me position better against dd's and not get caught off guard around island dd surprise attacks. However, now I burn like a torch the moment he shells touches my ship. I don't know what to do now, should I go full fire prevention build or not get blindfolded against enemy dds. Radio location helped me a lot, for example I go straight at them in my bb's and all their torps miss. (since they don't get an oppurtunity to land torps on my sides)

Honestly I have tested it extensively

It makes remarkable Good Sense !

The dd is warned they are located, and it acts as a semi deterrent, I got a more than a few kills in the bag from using it in this 10% concealment nonsense.

RPF works Extremely well on Republique.  

[SHAFT]
Players
9,480 posts
8,832 battles
7 minutes ago, Eagle_Six_TR said:

Taking Vigilance will cost me my Basics of Survivabilty skill

Ofc best build is taking FP/BoS and not Vigliance or RL at all. But RL saves you less from getting torped compared to Vigilance imo. (or better yet: map awareness and keep an eye out where the enemy DDs are)

Players
1,072 posts
12,547 battles

What on earth did we do before Radio Location was added... you used your brain to analyse the situation on the map to work out where the DD is most likely to be but clearly being aware of your surroundings rather than being in binocular view all the time was too hard for some of the player base so a 'skill' was added just telling you where they are so brain.exe doesn't have to work.

If you know how to read the map and track ship positions and know the maps you do not need it on a BB you are much better off improving the ship than removing the need to use your brain, tbh the skill is best on DDs cause you can send torpedoes at unspotted DDs giving you a massive edge in DD to DD fights or have your guns pre-trained or run away when it is an unfavourable fight.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[DAVY]
Players
2,730 posts
13,651 battles

after doing so many clan battles i find RL an valuable skill on any ship where i can fit it in, information is king...

Players
1,072 posts
12,547 battles
59 minutes ago, Salentine said:

after doing so many clan battles i find RL an valuable skill on any ship where i can fit it in, information is king...

True but unlike just giving bits of info like Priority Target and Incoming Fire Alert that the player can use to their advantage it just literally tells you where the enemy is, only info missing is distance and their own heading.

Need new skill WG 'Radio Location Jammer' :Smile_trollface:

[S-O-M]
Players
657 posts

I only run RPF on my DD’s, a lot of high tier cruisers have radar and tbh RPF only indicates the direction of the nearest red ship, they do not indicate where the incoming DD’s torps are, I usually go full manual secondary build which spooks DD’s a lot, as well as being useful against other classes, I don’t find fire prevention that useful and tbh unless you’re in a DD going stealth build is a waste on a BB, as you get spotted long before you try to close the gap.  My Alabama and my ex Monarch are/ were great stealth builds but I never got within 2-3 km of my concealment range before being detected.   Personally I’ve always thought the spotting should be changed to be more realistic: only the ships that see you themselves should spot you, not the whole team.As someone’s already said, if RPF works for you why not, but if you are that worried about DD’s run vigilance, and WASD.

Players
4,389 posts
12,087 battles

Though there might be some arguments, I never use RPF on BB's. Actual situational awareness makes me deduct DD's positions in 99% of the cases. My "black magic trick?" Spotted without spotting = incoming torps. Behind every island there is a DD. All smoke clouds will launch torps at me. All until proven otherwise. And just in case for mentioned despite me ffing up, I still change speed and course very regularly. So any DD which catches me with my pants down is either very skilled, or I managed to get myself into an impossible crossfire situation where it torps me 3 seconds earlier to the next match. 

So that's my reasoning not to take RPF on BB's. 

[SEN]
Players
795 posts

Many argue here with "spotted but not spotted = incoming torps" - BUT what the radio loc. give you is not just that, but a much important piece of info !

THE DIRECTION from where those torps are coming ! Like the OP mentioned, and some guys here, is very important to "align" your ship (parallel) with the incoming torps, especially when you sail a big whale bb with (very) slow rudder response.

I have the skill in my Jean B. and save me many many times from eating full loads.of  torps. 

Since the french dds release, is almost a rule to see 3-4 dds / team in each game. To many times - when you play alone - you watch your team dds going all in one flank, and the other team - using more than a brain cell, unlike your team dds.... - the red dds ALWAYS will use the "open door" to sneak  on that other flank, open flank,  so you end-up "spotted" by one , two even 3 dds on that flank, and obvious THE most dangerous is the one closer to you, situation where at least you know the direction from where the torps will come.

Ships with high skill points ( I have a 17 points commander in my J Bart) and with NO TOOLS to fight dds ( no spotter plane, no sonar, no radar ! ) can have a (much) better chance to survive. I feel so confident on my Bart with this skill I even charge bow-in in the direction of "close contact" and not once I surprise a dd before he could turn and run away.

So yeah, I found this skill needed for bbs without "anti-dd tools" ( no sonar, no radar, no plane) AND with enough points for the commander ( more than 16-17 points).

For other bbs, probably not so effective.

• Cool 1

[WGP2W]
Beta Tester
1,231 posts
6,339 battles

It is a pretty expensive skill for just a defense. There are often better skills to pick than that one, unless you can use RPF as a defense AND offense. Instead I would like to suggest turning on: "last known ship positions" and "ship names on your minimap"? Click ingame on the gear above the minimap to set it up. That way it is easy to find out where everyone is or goes. Giving you an idea against what destroyer you have to fight. 

Most destroyers are either sailing towards a cap or 20 miles around the block to flank you. On the other hand if it is working out for you than just go ahead with it. Perhaps you'll find a way to fit in fire prevention as well.

[SEN]
Players
795 posts
8 minutes ago, NoobySkooby said:

Sounds good in theory, I have not got a captain wit h so many skill points to try it out, but boy oh boy do I get frustrated when you are located in spawn before you have even gone anywhere.

Ships with no hydro, no planes, no radar have a certain benefit, that is a fact; The bbs with bow mounted turrets,  can simply turn - in and hunt down the little buggers. :Smile_veryhappy:

Beta Tester
1,971 posts
12,852 battles

Radio Location is a great skill to take on BBs. DD players (well, the decent ones at least) usually know which ship(s) it is that has them located via RL and when they realise it is a BB they are usually too busy laughing uncontrollably whilst banging their faces on the desk to be able to run away.

• Funny 7

Beta Tester
725 posts
11,958 battles

I have not found it usefull to run RPF on anything else than DD.

In most cases you are changing course so many times that flanking DD will miss they torps.

When you know they are there, they are dead.

Strangely enough killing a DD with BB is not that hard as his incoming torps are giving away his position.

I value FP much more than RPF.

[FLYD]
Players
1,355 posts
13,065 battles

RPF...

On a battleship.... 

O...k....

you do what you think is best.

I would personally not do that...

Alpha Tester
18,781 posts
6,105 battles

Please, BB players, take RPF.

Skills like FP and BoS are NOT NEEDED. What helps you the most is knowing where the closest ship is, that way you can go bow towards him and hit that S key. 

Information might be king, burning in four spots for a long time really does feel better if you have an indicator pointing to that angry smoke cloud spamming kerosine spiked HE shells your way. 

• Funny 7

Players
314 posts
3,605 battles

I see the point of taking RPF and the advantages, but in the end a BB shall tank near the cap to help her comrades. And not running FP in the (IF)HE spam meta just asks for melting (or sniping in back, gl with Alsace).

Unless you run a FP/RL captain and you give up on secondaries and "concealment", which is something to ponder.

[KAKE]
Players
2,519 posts
5,960 battles
18 hours ago, Major_Damage225 said:

On BB's i wouldnt use RPF as a anti DD aid, usually the target indicator of how may aim witch is free gives me info about that, if i know there is a DD in the vicinity, and if the idicator shows a +1 lock for a moment then it dissapears, that usually means torps incoming, with practice it becomes a really good anti torp tool. 

:Smile_honoring:

Unless said DD is smart enough to just sail around in torp mode.

Towards the end of the game at least I tend to do that, precisely to avoid giving my torp launches away.

Beta Tester
713 posts
21 hours ago, Orcinus1 said:

Honestly I have tested it extensively

It makes remarkable Good Sense !

The dd is warned they are located, and it acts as a semi deterrent, I got a more than a few kills in the bag from using it in this 10% concealment nonsense.

RPF works Extremely well on Republique.  

proof?

open your stats and show how good it is