Filipin00

How to play the utter piece of crap that is Friedrich der große?

16 comments in this topic

[UAC]
Players
659 posts
2,215 battles

Should I just free exp it and not bother at all? Because that thing is so bad it sucks Mikasa's d***.

That's how bad it is!!!!

At least Bismarck had maneuverability and good concealment, this.....this thing is utterly abysmal...unplayable!!

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
26,189 posts
14,119 battles

You can use Free XP, but then you learned nothing for Kurfuerst.

Get used to her, learn the maps, as soon as she is not stock, she is quite decent.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[UAC]
Players
659 posts
2,215 battles
17 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

You can use Free XP, but then you learned nothing for Kurfuerst.

Get used to her, learn the maps, as soon as she is not stock, she is quite decent.

Yeah, mine is stock. Transition from Bismarck to this is literally as if I transitioned from a cruiser to battleship.

Bismarck, while nothing to write home about, is miles and miles better than this piece of crap. I can't tell how to play with it. Detection range is currently like 15 km with the concealment module, I get spotted literally on my spawn point!

I don't know what to do, I can't escape how pathetic agility it has, HE spam just kills it. You can't escape, it's not like I'm pushing too hard or anything I've played like 2 battles both I had to run for my life since the start of the battle how pathetic it is. You can't even hit anything back, dispersion and gun arcs are pathetic. To fire all 4 turrets you need to basically show broadside.....no no no, pathetic, cancer battleship.....cancer!!!:Smile-angry:

Feels like a downgrade from Bismarck, not upgrade.

• Cool 1

[OMPG]
Beta Tester
338 posts
6,082 battles

Free XP stock modules fast. Use a good captain.

Be aggressive don´t just sit at distance a lot of tier 9 BBs are so much better than fat freddy sitting at distance pounding away. Always angle against the biggest threat. Use your speed to pretend you have manouverability. Use islands to cover you from the worst HE spam when trying to get into a meaningful position. Try to get close to caps to give your team an active, tanking and threatening BB. That is how you win games by supporting your dds at caps driving enemy cruisers away and utilizing your hydro to spot torps and dds in smokes around caps. If enemy around the cap you are going is overwhelmingly strong kite away and use your speed and angled tankyness to draw their fire and keep them spotted. Play for the team if you die doing that or your team can not capitalize on you taking a lot of enemy fire away from them it is their fault not yours. Play it like a Bismarck on steroids because that what is essentially is. Remember that 406mm is a big improvement in overmatch capability versus 380mm so shoot a lot of enemy cruisers with them nevermind the angle.

In a nutshell be a bit berserk with it. If you die you die. If you don´t die in the process you are doing great breaking stalemate positions creating chaos and supporting your teams capping efforts and taking a lot of fire away from them. It is not a surgical instrument but a blunt tool.

• Cool 3

[UAC]
Players
659 posts
2,215 battles

Wow, thanks a lot, that does make sense. I may even have figured it out already, I just play it like Bismarck but I take into account terrible maneuverability and agility, something like a game of chess, guessing in advance the risks and options because truth to be told, when this thing commits - it commits and there's no going back, really.

[OMPG]
Beta Tester
338 posts
6,082 battles

Game has changed a bit after this video but I think this video gameplay style especially with a Fat Freddy is viable. At least it sure as hell isn´t boring. 

[SHAFT]
[SHAFT]
Players
1,052 posts
22,631 battles

What's wrong with players always complaining? The ship is fine, if the captains cannot adjust to her then it's the players' problem and not the ship's.
Also, if someone skips the FDG don't expect GK to roflstomp enemies just with her appearance.

Each ship has her own traits, players must adjust to them and not vice versa.

• Cool 1

[UAC]
Players
659 posts
2,215 battles

@TohtoriP Lol the video title, "aggresive BBs win games"

LoL no, aggresive BBs get torped and HE spammed :cap_haloween:

edit: jk, it's ok I figured its playstyle :Smile_coin:

[SHAFT]
[SHAFT]
Players
1,052 posts
22,631 battles

By the way, I wonder if the OP is actually familiar with how certain ships must be played.  Having hidden stats is probably a sign that he is under performing in other classes and tiers too but was hoping a tier x will solve his misery.

I wouldn't mind someone asking for help on how to setup and play a certain ship but I really dislike how people start trash talking about ships, captain skills, bad teams and stuff while most of the time they're the sole problem on their own!  

So many people completely lack map awareness even at tier x.

• Bad 1

[UAC]
Players
659 posts
2,215 battles
2 hours ago, tsounts said:

By the way, I wonder if the OP is actually familiar with how certain ships must be played.  Having hidden stats is probably a sign that he is under performing in other classes and tiers too but was hoping a tier x will solve his misery.

I wouldn't mind someone asking for help on how to setup and play a certain ship but I really dislike how people start trash talking about ships, captain skills, bad teams and stuff while most of the time they're the sole problem on their own!  

So many people completely lack map awareness even at tier x.

You are free to assume whatever you want. I hide my stats because other judgmental a******* don't jump to judging me based on stats.

As for your question, yes I'm aware of how certain ships must be played. However, you can't know how to play them, before you actually play them, even by watching youtube videos or tutorials because you have to get a personal "feel" for the ship in battle.

For a counter-argument german BBs tbh play almost like cruisers up to gneisenau (which is more a battlecruiser than a battleship and that's how I got most success with it myself). And then, out of the blue, you're given massive immobile and non-agile battleships like Bismarck and FdG and have to completely change your play style (of which I'm not a great supporter).

edit: I'm not a supporter of the drastic changes in playstyle, not the playstyle itself, to avoid confusion.

• Boring 2

[ZPT]
Players
197 posts
On 9/24/2019 at 6:14 PM, Filipin00 said:

Should I just free exp it and not bother at all? Because that thing is so bad it sucks Mikasa's d***.

That's how bad it is!!!!

At least Bismarck had maneuverability and good concealment, this.....this thing is utterly abysmal...unplayable!!

Don't play it! That's what i did!

FDG is indeed terrible, so is the next one too (GK), so my advice is to spend your Free XP elsewhere! :Smile_Default:

Players
873 posts
4,092 battles
Am 16.11.2019 um 11:16, Jean_Bart sagte:

Don't play it! That's what i did!

FDG is indeed terrible, so is the next one too (GK), so my advice is to spend your Free XP elsewhere! :Smile_Default:

Advice of a very weak player, who has played neither of both.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Players
8,097 posts
8,919 battles
On 9/26/2019 at 1:22 PM, Filipin00 said:

You are free to assume whatever you want. I hide my stats because other judgmental a******* don't jump to judging me based on stats.

As for your question, yes I'm aware of how certain ships must be played. However, you can't know how to play them, before you actually play them, even by watching youtube videos or tutorials because you have to get a personal "feel" for the ship in battle.

For a counter-argument german BBs tbh play almost like cruisers up to gneisenau (which is more a battlecruiser than a battleship and that's how I got most success with it myself). And then, out of the blue, you're given massive immobile and non-agile battleships like Bismarck and FdG and have to completely change your play style (of which I'm not a great supporter).

edit: I'm not a supporter of the drastic changes in playstyle, not the playstyle itself, to avoid confusion.

Nassau, Kaiser, König and Bayern play like cruisers? What? They do 25 knots max (on Bayern), turrets turn slowly, guns are not exactly cruiser-like, with the closest cruiser being Graf Spee which still only matches Nassau and the survivability is way beyond a cruiser. Gneisenau can do some cruiser speed with 25 knots, but I really don't see the Bismarck tier for tier being less maneuverable than the rest. It even is the fastest BB without speed boost for its tier.

[BGNAV]
Players
203 posts
8,586 battles
On 11/21/2019 at 11:04 PM, Grossadmiral_H_invader said:

Advice of a very weak player, who has played neither of both.

I can't comment on stats, but I see "Jean_Bart"  is acting like either a hater or a close-minded person who has his opinion and nothing can change it. I don't argue with such players, I just don't take any advice from them without confirming from many other sources.

Now on-topic: FdG can be frustrating to play, yes. No matter the build, FdG and GK are usually subjected to huge amount of HE spam (current meta seems to promote rapid-firing fire spewing cruisers and DDs). This happens mostly because they need to play up close to be effective (turtleback, main gun accuracy and potentially secondaries).

I find it key to play with the team. Play in a division with two decent players and coordinate your attacks. Also combine appropriate ships - 3x FdG may sound fun, but really isn't too good for winning games. Better would be to have  balance. For example a CV/DD, Radar cruiser and FdG in the division.

Additionally - it is good to be communicating with the team. It does not help most of the time, but it does not hurt if you do it.

Last but not least - keep island cover between you and the other flanks, exposing yourself only to the one you are pushing. If you leave the cover to attack the enemies, first make sure the rest of the enemy team is not waiting for you to do so. If they are not spotted, don't just rush - you will likely die in a horrible way. Poke your nose slowly and check what's what.

Always have an exit strategy at hand.

The advises above are somewhat generic but other ships may be better at not complying with them, while FdG isn't. If you want to do something, you need to be close. If you are close, you need to use your brains and position well, while also making sure you have support.

[N0RSE]
Players
174 posts
14,280 battles

Fdg is a fun ship, but can be frustrating with it's bad dispersion at long range. Brawling however is a breeze in this ship, but brawling is not for the light-hearted. In general I would say German battleships are good for it's role, but not newbie friendly.