Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
gopher31

Premium shop pricing

15 comments in this topic

[SHAD]
Players
2,482 posts
11,145 battles

I wonder if anyone knows why same tier same, same class ships sell for very different prices in the premium shop.

Roma has been the most expensive battleship for a while. Cossack is a lot more expensive than the Loyang.

Has wargaming ever stated how they price their ships?

[DAVY]
Players
2,742 posts
13,702 battles

generally, the newer the ships the more expensive, they have to pay for the designers/graphic artists whose wages will go up with inflation...

Players
986 posts
11,589 battles
13 minutes ago, Salentine said:

generally, the newer the ships the more expensive, they have to pay for the designers/graphic artists whose wages will go up with inflation...

Not necessarily. 

There is sort of a system in it. 

1. Tier and class. 
2. Specialty (if its a battlecruiser- that adds to pricing, if it has unique traits such as consumables or torpedos that are unusual for the line that adds too). 

3. Customizability. Having options such as a different hull (Monaghan, Harekaze) or torpedo loadout options (Sims) adds to pricing.
4. Performance. The better a ships characteristics are, the higher its price would be- generally. This also means that generally an (in tier, in class) expensive ship leans towards being OP, though not necessarily. 

Note that the Sims seems to be relatively cheap considering this, but the Sims was actually buffed significantly since introduction meaning its a tad "underpriced". Current pricing estimate from me would be at least on par with Haida or even Z39. 
Z-39 is so expensive because it has the tier 8 module access, among others. Leningrad doesnt have too much going for it, but its a solid all rounder. Haida is a specialty ship due to its guns, smoke generator and special torpedos- even though it might not be the best, it sure is a peculiarity. Blyskawica is lowly priced because the Polish nature made it very unatrractive, and it doesnt have anything special going for it either. 

The one ship that i've lately been somewhat surprised by in how high its priced is the Le Terrible (i know frenchies, thats a double "the"). While it seems a good ship, 9500 doubloons makes it a very expensive tier 8, especially considering that it actually is worse in many ascpects that the Le Fantasque- for instance it has slower torpedos. 

For the Roma i'd say the reasoning is: 
- They simply screwed up. Roma is overpriced XD

For the Cossack, one must consider that its pricing was set during an event (you could get it with those token thingies, i think Sourvereigns were the currency for it). 
That means it currency wasnt set fully independent, but the Cossack has great guns and stealth, and is a RN DD crewtrainer. Back when it was released, Lo Yang was NOT a crew trainer (no pan Asains yet other than Lo Yang and Anshan). 
Also, Lo Yang is both benefitted and hindered at the same time by uniqueness. On one hand it has hydro, then again- its a Benson with Hydro, thats all there is to it. 
A Cossack is vastly different from the Lightning. 

• Cool 3

[HOO]
Players
1,886 posts
3,704 battles
1 hour ago, gopher31 said:

I wonder if anyone knows why same tier same, same class ships sell for very different prices in the premium shop.

Roma has been the most expensive battleship for a while. Cossack is a lot more expensive than the Loyang.

No but marketing 101 says charge the highest price you can get away with. So WG know for example when Friesland was released, as the first ship for the Dutch, lots of people would raid their piggy banks to get her. Gloss up the offering with a commander and some other goodies and people will think they are getting good value.

• Cool 1

Players
986 posts
11,589 battles
1 minute ago, Fat_Maniac said:

No but marketing 101 says charge the highest price you can get away with. So WG know for example when Friesland was released, as the first ship for the Dutch, lots of people would raid their piggy banks to get her. Gloss up the offering with a commander and some other goodies and people will think they are getting good value.

Tier 9 free XP/ Coal ships standard cost around 63-65eu, period. Class independent. 

[HOO]
Players
1,886 posts
3,704 battles
2 minutes ago, Isoruku_Yamamoto said:

Tier 9 free XP/ Coal ships standard cost around 63-65eu, period. Class independent. 

Thats freemium ships and I agree. Friesland was a bad example.

A better might be say Mainz when she is ready. A German premium ship is gonna sell well on the EU server so WG can charge a little more, than in other regions. A US BB would sell well in the NA region so charge a bit more there etc etc.

Players
104 posts
1 hour ago, gopher31 said:

They have a big wheel with prices going from 60 to a 100 euro, they give that a spin and see where it lands.

• Funny 1

[DAVY]
Players
2,742 posts
13,702 battles
40 minutes ago, Isoruku_Yamamoto said:

Not necessarily. 

There is sort of a system in it. 

1. Tier and class. 

well obviously i didn't mean you compare ships of different classes...

• Cool 1

Players
58 posts
4,214 battles

It’s all a lottery!

Slight side note, have you noticed that if you turn on the “show all ships in tech tree” mod that there is a different price for premium ships that can be purchased with doubloons?

The tech tree doubloon prices prices is a few hundred less than the armoury price but you can’t apply coupons.

Players
986 posts
11,589 battles
34 minutes ago, Snautzi said:

They have a big wheel with prices going from 60 to a 100 euro, they give that a spin and see where it lands.

This is simply false. Prices range from a standard price of eu4.11 (Tachibana) to eu64.14 (Jean Bart). Anything above 65eu is a bundle, not just a ship, or a converted price (such as the Friesland for Free XP conversion, the Benham for containers in the Rogue wave event etc). 

Direct ship sales have up until now not exceeded 65eu, and thats for tier 9 ships even. Tier 8 ships stay below 50. 

33 minutes ago, Salentine said:

well obviously i didn't mean you compare ships of different classes...

Obviously, yet i thought it was good to clarify within the systematic for anyone who might miss that part. Comparing a tier 8 DD to a tier 8 CV leaves you wondering whats so special about the CVs if you leave the class aspect out. 

Players
104 posts
23 minutes ago, Isoruku_Yamamoto said:

This is simply false. Prices range from a standard price of eu4.11 (Tachibana) to eu64.14 (Jean Bart). Anything above 65eu is a bundle, not just a ship, or a converted price (such as the Friesland for Free XP conversion, the Benham for containers in the Rogue wave event etc). 

"Standard prices" lol. No such thing. 

• Bad 1

Players
986 posts
11,589 battles
42 minutes ago, Snautzi said:

"Standard prices" lol. No such thing. 

There is, as opposed to discounted pricing (0.89 for tier 2s) and bundle pricing (up to 135eu fo tier 9 ship bundles)

• Cool 1

[WTFNO]
Players
563 posts
9,707 battles
1 hour ago, Duecut said:

Slight side note, have you noticed that if you turn on the “show all ships in tech tree” mod that there is a different price for premium ships that can be purchased with doubloons?

The tech tree doubloon prices prices is a few hundred less than the armoury price but you can’t apply coupons.

This is because armoury includes a mandatory port slot for 300 more doubloons.

• Cool 1

Players
58 posts
4,214 battles
1 hour ago, AmiralPotato said:

This is because armoury includes a mandatory port slot for 300 more doubloons.

Ah ok, didn’t realise that, thanks.

Sign in to follow this