jieyaw

Russian DD captain advice

7 comments in this topic

[W-C]
Players
29 posts
2,245 battles

I would like some advice about captain skills in the Russian DDs.

After a long break with the T7 ship Minsk, after I got fed up of trolly RNG not giving me fires, I have decided to grind for the Grozovoi, as I prefer the idea of a versatile DD rather than a light cruiser (Khabarovsk).

I have still got my 11 point captain (I always keep my captains, including under 10-pointers, so I can get free captain slots), which I respecced to have no spec from the recent CV free respec. 

My captain I would like to aim towards is (in no particular order): PT (I am too much of a noob to use PM), LS (I am too much of a noob to use AR as well), SE (helps with heal as well), BFT (extra dakka dakka), SI (Grozovoi is a mini-Worcester in terms of consumables), DE (for those extra fires), AFT (for additional range and flexibility in engaging enemies). I'm not using CE, see guide below.

TL;DR gunboat build, no CE.

I would say that I am a slightly-above average player. However, I NEED HELP ON HOW TO SPEC MY CAPTAIN!

I am unlikely to get to a 16-point Captain any time soon, so which 3-pointers should I go for first (please provide order/other suggestions, with reasoning).

I have also read that BFT will set more fires than DE, if you can only have one.

Grozovoi inspiration: https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/9fbxrl/grozovoi_guide_harugumo_for_unicums/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body

Thanks all!

Players
463 posts
10,451 battles
On 9/22/2019 at 10:51 PM, jieyaw said:

I would like some advice about captain skills in the Russian DDs.

After a long break with the T7 ship Minsk, after I got fed up of trolly RNG not giving me fires, I have decided to grind for the Grozovoi, as I prefer the idea of a versatile DD rather than a light cruiser (Khabarovsk).

I have still got my 11 point captain (I always keep my captains, including under 10-pointers, so I can get free captain slots), which I respecced to have no spec from the recent CV free respec. 

My captain I would like to aim towards is (in no particular order): PT (I am too much of a noob to use PM), LS (I am too much of a noob to use AR as well), SE (helps with heal as well), BFT (extra dakka dakka), SI (Grozovoi is a mini-Worcester in terms of consumables), DE (for those extra fires), AFT (for additional range and flexibility in engaging enemies). I'm not using CE, see guide below.

TL;DR gunboat build, no CE.

I would say that I am a slightly-above average player. However, I NEED HELP ON HOW TO SPEC MY CAPTAIN!

I am unlikely to get to a 16-point Captain any time soon, so which 3-pointers should I go for first (please provide order/other suggestions, with reasoning).

I have also read that BFT will set more fires than DE, if you can only have one.

Grozovoi inspiration: https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/9fbxrl/grozovoi_guide_harugumo_for_unicums/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body

Thanks all!

You seem to have made up your mind already so its hard to give advice.

When it comes down to Grozovoi there are a lot of players better suited to giving advice them me. My PR is 2300 but WR has dropped down to about 55%. I did play it a lot before the buffs though. Dolphin_Princess is the man, you will not find anyone better at playing Russian gunboats.

I do however play a mean game with the mid tier RU-DDs, regular PR between 3000-9000. At tiers 5-9 I belive IFHE and AFT is mandatory. It gives you 28mm of he pen and range, thus making you a threat to cruisers that you cant fight otherwise. T7 BBs and below are made of 25mm plating so they melt under your fire, fires are just a bonus.

I was skeptical at first but I run smoke builds because of the RREEEEEE-work. And no longer take LS or CE. You will have to play a little safer and know when to disengage, but that will help your game a lot and CE actually hurts you.

Im currently regrinding the lines as I reset them for points. Podvoisky is a beast and Gnevny I went through without a loss in 5 or 6 games at worst 2:nd in the team, best was a 2600xp win.

Minsk is probably my favorite ship in the game (atleast in the silver category), Kiev is almost as much fun. I only played 2 games in the Ognivoi since I re-bought it but both were 2500xp+.

The problem I see is that cruisers and BBs get so much stronger at t10, DDs really dont. You get higher DPM and more health, but loose agility, thus making you an easy target.

My advice is to stay at t6-8 for a while untill you own that, then advance to t9-10.

And my prefered build would be: PM, EM, AR, BFT, AFT, IFHE and last SE. I would go BFT before SE, and AFT before IFHE. I use that on everything from Podvoisky to Khaba. Tash and Khaba do not need EM so they can take LS.

On Ognevoi: I have CE instead of IFHE and LS instead of EM.

On Udaloi: CE instead of IFHE and LS instead of EM.

On Grozovoi: PM, AR, SE, AFT, SI, BFT and DE.

I use legendary modules on both Khab and Groz.

Edit: In order for Grozovoi: PM, AR, BFT (your guns are your bread and butter on all RU-DDs, yes even the Ognevoi), AFT, SI (you need the extra speed-boost and smoke more then HP), SE lastly DE.

Your problem will be Ognevoi as it needs CE, you could however just play it as a slightly worse Kiev if you are planning to transition the captain to the Groz.

• Cool 1

Players
463 posts
10,451 battles
7 hours ago, jieyaw said:

Thanks for your advice!

I posted a guide by Dolphin_Princess. Look at the second part it deals with specific ships and shows his builds.

[W-C]
Players
29 posts
2,245 battles
13 hours ago, Systergummi said:

I posted a guide by Dolphin_Princess. Look at the second part it deals with specific ships and shows his builds.

I'm sorry, but I can't see it. I have included a guide by Dolphin Princess in the original article; maybe that's the one you were talking about?

Players
463 posts
10,451 battles
12 hours ago, jieyaw said:

I'm sorry, but I can't see it. I have included a guide by Dolphin Princess in the original article; maybe that's the one you were talking about?

https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/ctnni6/russian_destroyer_guide_details_and_faq/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share