Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Captain_Campbell

When to use my Atlanta AP rounds?

15 comments in this topic

Players
71 posts
2,064 battles

Is there any reason to use these? In a few battles I have swapped from HE to AP just to see how they perform and i never find them much good. The high arcs make it tricky to aim for a good spot like a normal AP gun and they are only 127mm at T7 which wont penetrate a lot anyway.

HE is working out great, but the idea of being able to unload dozens of AP rounds into the right target seeks good fun too.

Thanks

[-LA-]
Players
663 posts
4,809 battles

if a cruiser comes round the island your humping and offers you broadisde under a few KM distance , some BB's to maybe (i hve no knowledge to atlanta AP pen )

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Players
4,502 posts
15,942 battles

Almost never. If you got IFHE, it's on occasion on specific broadside crusiers and superstructures for bbs at close range - what I do, but I'd take this advice with a heap of salt, because I don't know these things more than by experience. It's good for killing off French low health dds that are saturated too.

[INTRO]
[INTRO]
Players
1,437 posts
16,798 battles

Close range at broadside cruisers. Aim for the citadel.

BBs that give you broadside. Shoot at the base of the superstructure/upper part of the hull. Keep an eye on your ribbons to see if it works or not.

Might take some time to get used to but a full AP-salvo has a max damage of close to 30k.

Good luck!

• Cool 1

[SHAFT]
Players
9,574 posts
8,858 battles

Well, id try it against Cruisers getting too close being broadside. But certain BBs dont have much armor either (25-32mm). You can basicly forget the T5 BBs, as they have thick armor still (and russians/Germans unless you can hit their Bow/Aft). But something like Colorado/Nagato should be free farm if they show broadside. They are litereally covered in 25mm armor. Even T8-9 BBs only have 32mm armor (again, except germans/russians).

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
5,051 posts
10,842 battles

When at very close range on lightly armored ships with citadels, like other Atlantas. Even then, when they're not too angled.
Or if you find a very big, juicy target not too far away with immense superstructure that's already on fire with plating on which even IFHE can shatter. Think Alsace full broadside. Aim high.

Basically, you'll only use AP once every 10 battles with 1 or 2 salvoes.
The slightly increased damage you get on a handful of salvoes isn't usually worth the much more reliable HE and fire chance.

Source: most played ship is Atlanta.

Players
9,881 posts
11,603 battles

AP rounds have more than enough penetration to punch through unarmored bits on ships with all-or-nothing armor scheme when you have broadside available. Granted, damage difference between AP and HE for US Dual Purpose Mortars is tiny, but when facing tier 8+ BB broadside, HE even with IFHE will do nothing besides setting some fires.

[CATS]
Players
26,256 posts
14,159 battles

Below 5km at broadside cruisers.

You can go for the broadside superstructure of other ships when they are burning.

[IAN_H]
Players
1,961 posts
6,603 battles

AP is only decent below 4.5km, then it'll pen cruiser citadels, broadside BB Bow/Stern getting you up to 10k a salvo (if they are undamaged when you start) and BB superstructure. Outside 4.5km (literally, at 4.6km its garbage) IFHE all the way.

Weekend Tester
807 posts
9,109 battles

Good place to experiment and  practice is in the brawling environment of co-op games.

I use Atlanta almost exclusively for knocking out the daily missions in co-op, and I reckon I probably use AP about 20% of the time.

Below 4.5km you can citadel most cruisers and out-DPM lower health BBs (even Tier8/9 BBs can be reduced). At longer ranges, the AP can still be a quicker than HE to kill broadside and oblique lower tier CAs (Leanders, Nurnbergs, Emeralds, FurryTacos, etc).

[HOO]
Players
1,886 posts
3,704 battles
1 hour ago, cracktrackflak said:

Good place to experiment and  practice is in the brawling environment of co-op games.

I use Atlanta almost exclusively for knocking out the daily missions in co-op, and I reckon I probably use AP about 20% of the time.

Below 4.5km you can citadel most cruisers and out-DPM lower health BBs (even Tier8/9 BBs can be reduced). At longer ranges, the AP can still be a quicker than HE to kill broadside and oblique lower tier CAs (Leanders, Nurnbergs, Emeralds, FurryTacos, etc).

Also use the training room, set yourself a private battle and put in a load of bot enemies inactive and not moving. Set battle time to 1 hour and go experiment to see what works and doesn't.

[ADRIA]
Players
273 posts
12,254 battles

As a stat pad-, i mean atlanta player myself, the rule of thumb is using its AP at distances below 4km on most cruisers you will face. Do not expect to do massive dmg against bbs but it is still very good at those ranges.

• Cool 1

Players
71 posts
2,064 battles

Thanks guys, I am in love with the atlanta, in 3 games it will become my most played ship and will have my highest captain (just about to get 13th point).

Will test stuff in the private system or in coops

• Cool 1

[SHAD]
Players
2,482 posts
11,145 battles

Softer Tier 8/9 Battleship upper belt and broadside cruisers. IFHE is better for almost any other situation.

Sign in to follow this