You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
___V_E_N_O_M___

Sub warfare is linear!!!!

32 comments in this topic

[RONIN]
Players
1,665 posts
8,592 battles

I have watched flamus video and I am shocked at what they are proposing for this class. Effectively homing torpedoes that can change course to intercept a target rather than travel in a straight line. Subs didnt have smart bombs so how does this kinda gameplay fit with WOWS and 20th century naval combat?? Subs are linear war machines they fire torps forward and forget about them.

There is even an option to ping a target so that homing torpedoes ignore the torp bulges and can deliver citadel strikes......

@Crysantos @Tanatoy abandon this now

• Boring 1

[LADA]
Players
544 posts
8,429 battles

You could replace 'linear' with any number of descriptors. Most of them not suitable for posting on the forum....

• Funny 2

[CATS]
Players
26,207 posts
14,119 battles
3 minutes ago, ___V_E_N_O_M___ said:

I have watched flamus video and I am shocked at what they are proposing for this class. Effectively homing torpedoes that can change course to intercept a target rather than travel in a straight line. Subs didnt have smart bombs so how does this kinda gameplay fit with WOWS and 20th century naval combat?? Subs are linear war machines they fire torps forward and forget about them.

When you write about history, at least inform yourself.

• many subs could launch torpedos backwards
  • late WW2 saw some accoustic homing torpedos
  • Cool 3
  • Boring 3

Players
6,780 posts
245 battles

I know acoustic torps were a thing in ww2 and used, but the tech was pretty much brand new and well obviously wasn't always reliable, similar to how the first heat seeking missles/rockets didnt always actually hit the intended target...

but sub gameplay seems kinda stale, makes me wonder if subs or any other subs avalible can kill each other at deep water levels or they just play cat and mouse untill one has to surface and then torp spam begins.

subs even had to go silent as they used those torps because they would sometimes travel back due to the amount of sound they were making. (two german u boats got hit by their own torps and had to launch a bunch more but go silent entirely).

all wargaming has to add is decoys into the game (they should just get rid of acoustic torps but this wargaming we are talking about so i highly doubt it). These decoys can be launched and they produce high intensity sound waves that attracts the torps to them and not the original target.

similar to foxers (us and brit countermeasures), but i guess they could make them deployable or whatever, but then thats just added micro for everyone.

Players
382 posts

I think subs are not what wows needs but I’m sure they will force it on the community while on their never ending quest of “implementing anything new to attract players and buyers”

• Cool 2

[CROTZ]
Beta Tester
1,196 posts
8,163 battles

300 Pages to go :D

Finally a new class with new player focus !

I waited 2 years for Subs and the CV Rework.

Soon the game is "complete", the more classes...The merrier.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

Players
3,220 posts
27 minutes ago, ___V_E_N_O_M___ said:

There is even an option to ping a target so that homing torpedoes ignore the torp bulges and can deliver citadel strikes......

@Crysantos @Tanatoy abandon this now

Yes I watched it too, you cannot fight other subs, (yet) and DD's will dump on you, no idea what the range of the torps are, but hopefully in game the deck guns will work as will the rear mounted AA guns for when you are surfaced, look forward to something that is different though, a bit like wheeled vehicles in WoT's, and now in that game there is an up coming twin barrelled heavy tank coming out, :Smile_trollface:

Players
3,220 posts
16 minutes ago, AirSupremacy said:

300 Pages to go :D

Finally a new class with new player focus !

I waited 2 years for Subs and the CV Rework.

Soon the game is "complete", the more classes...The merrier.

Iol, Oh I think there could be room for anti sub planes, Would love to take out a Sunderland flying boat, and have we not had sloops and corvettes yet, maybe a frigate or two?

• Cool 1

Players
464 posts
1,490 battles

From watching Jingles, DDs can dodge homing torpedoes fine but BBs, well.........

And subs seem to be the counter to CVs, provided you don't get spotted 2 homing torps which citadel the CV should help 

:cap_popcorn:

Players
3,220 posts
27 minutes ago, CptBarney said:

I know acoustic torps were a thing in ww2 and used, but the tech was pretty much brand new and well obviously wasn't always reliable, similar to how the first heat seeking missles/rockets didnt always actually hit the intended target...

but sub gameplay seems kinda stale, makes me wonder if subs or any other subs avalible can kill each other at deep water levels or they just play cat and mouse untill one has to surface and then torp spam begins.

subs even had to go silent as they used those torps because they would sometimes travel back due to the amount of sound they were making. (two german u boats got hit by their own torps and had to launch a bunch more but go silent entirely).

all wargaming has to add is decoys into the game (they should just get rid of acoustic torps but this wargaming we are talking about so i highly doubt it). These decoys can be launched and they produce high intensity sound waves that attracts the torps to them and not the original target.

similar to foxers (us and brit countermeasures), but i guess they could make them deployable or whatever, but then thats just added micro for everyone.

Oh boy getting hit by my own torps, what a joy to look forward to, lol

[RONIN]
Players
1,665 posts
8,592 battles
39 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Still linear warfare, backwards forwards. In no sense of the word did any WW2 nation have precision strike or "smart" homing torpedoes. How does a mechanical machine like a torpedo know to avoid torpedo bulges and deliver citadel hits??

Sorry but that whole game mechanic right there is flawed and implemented to make the gameplay more fun!?

Make the mechanics for sub torps the same as that for DDs, fire and forget. They move in a straight line.

• Cool 1

[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles
5 minutes ago, ___V_E_N_O_M___ said:

How does a mechanical machine like a torpedo know to avoid torpedo bulges and deliver citadel hits??

in precisely the way it actually happens in game - by not exploding against the bulge, but going beneath the keel of the ship and detonating there through a proximity fuse of some description. Which is how modern torpedoes still work because that's a good way of doing maximum damage.

[-SOG-]
Players
404 posts
8,637 battles
6 minutes ago, ___V_E_N_O_M___ said:

Still linear warfare, backwards forwards. In no sense of the word did any WW2 nation have precision strike or "smart" homing torpedoes. How does a mechanical machine like a torpedo know to avoid torpedo bulges and deliver citadel hits??

The torpedo bulges ignorance is just so stupid, but the homing torpedoes are historical but during WW2 first they pinged the target then launched their acoustic torpedoes against the ships. 

I would rather have shorter reload on my torpedoes than this idiotic ignore torpedo bulges thingy. But I quite fancy the homing mechanic if they manage to refine it. 

[CATS]
Players
26,207 posts
14,119 battles
3 minutes ago, ___V_E_N_O_M___ said:

You wrote "forward", which is wrong.

Two nations developed "smart" homing torpedos during WW2. At least three nations used them during WW2.

And when you write about the game, you should be aware that no nation had a button on their ships that extinguished all fires immediately, even if the whole ship was aflame...

[BOATX]
Beta Tester
5,170 posts
23,679 battles
14 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

You wrote "forward", which is wrong.

Two nations developed "smart" homing torpedos during WW2. At least three nations used them during WW2.

Germans developped acoustic torpedoes at the end of the war, Americans copied some captured German torpedos.

However those torpedos were very rare, a sort of gold ammo for submarine, even at the end of the war. Most used were usual torpedoes.

Japanese also developped manned torpedoes Kaiten, a kind of kamikaze, at the end of the war, and were not very effective.

[CATS]
Players
26,207 posts
14,119 battles
9 minutes ago, 22cm said:

Germans developped acoustic torpedoes at the end of the war, Americans copied some captured German torpedos.

Unlikely, as german and US navies started using them at the same time March 1943.

[GURKA]
Players
5,204 posts
10,430 battles
33 minutes ago, ___V_E_N_O_M___ said:

Sorry but that whole game mechanic right there is flawed and implemented to make the gameplay more fun!?

Make the mechanics for sub torps the same as that for DDs, fire and forget. They move in a straight line.

If this bothers you, you should maybe change the game. There so many mechanics and elements in this game, that are not realistic or historically. This game is more like an arcade, shooter game with ships than a simulation.

Submarines just add a few another not realistic elements to the game, a game which is already full with unrealistic, nonhistorically elements. So I don't see a reason to be bothered with that. I always appreciacte, if something is more realistic and historically, but I don't expect it. WG is designing around the pvp-gameplay, not about the realism

• Cool 2

[UNICS]
Players
4,501 posts
15,942 battles
1 hour ago, 22cm said:

However those torpedos were very rare, a sort of gold ammo for submarine, even at the end of the war. Most used were usual torpedoes.

Japanese also developped manned torpedoes Kaiten, a kind of kamikaze, at the end of the war, and were not very effective.

I see monetizing opportunities here :Smile_trollface: Problem solved, Venom.

[BOATX]
Beta Tester
5,170 posts
23,679 battles
6 minutes ago, loppantorkel said:

I see monetizing opportunities here :Smile_trollface: Problem solved, Venom.

Gold ammo noob spotted.  :Smile_trollface:

[BOATX]
Beta Tester
5,170 posts
23,679 battles
9 minutes ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

Interesting, so the CV players are right. Even CV gameplay is too difficult. 

Yes. You can no longer play with  a single hand.

• Funny 2

[LADA]
Players
544 posts
8,429 battles
3 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

Do stop being a clot for once.....

The aft-torpedo was usually an absolute last-ditch 'we've run out of everything else' weapon. There was a very good reason for removing them from most post-war subs. 

Acoustic homing was limited to a rather 'dumb' weapon that merely followed the noisiest thing it could find - sometimes the launching sub itself. It DID NOT relate to firing a set of torps - then updating them with a target solution at any time after launch to enable them to zero in on a specific target. 

• Cool 1