Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
MadBadDave

The Alabama

8 comments in this topic

[S-O-M]
Players
657 posts

So after waiting and finally getting a coupon (the 25% discount one), I bought the Bama.

I have read all the reviews watched all the vids, from people who know what they’re doing, and thought do it.

I’ve only had 6 battles in it so far  haven’t been that impressed, seeing 4 losses and 2 victories, and I have a 17 point skipper in her,  Unlike Bismarck, Amagi,Hood, Shiny And Gneisenau she seems slow not only in speed, but turning and reloading, her shells are slow and I’ve already changed my aiming accordingly, leading by 8 ticks as opposed to 6 for others, some have said it’s a cruiser killer, that I’ve yet to see and I have found it hard to hit cruisers unlike my other BB’s.

I also rammed an Iowa while engaged with a Worcester and I took a huge chunk of damage off of the Iowa but it didn’t sink ??.

Yes the AA is awesome and I have lopped off 44k from a monarch in one salvo but it really doesn’t impress me, it almost feels like an Uber Warspite, deadly but painstakingly slow, does anyone have any pointers please.

Players
3,130 posts
10,613 battles

Why didn't you come to us mate. :cap_viking:

We could have told you just how it was and given you some advice.  Most of the YouTube vids on the Alabama is old. 

I used to love the Bama. I still do but the Massa had taken her over for me.

The Alabama was a AA beast back in RTS and i played it many a times when div with a CV player. 

It's still a good ship but things have changed since, like the massive influx of HE spamming ship for one. It was also one of my first premiums if i recall (sort of).

Alabama   Alabama 8 U.S.A. 177 62.15% 1 870 71 734 1.23 5.26 Details

First thing is that her accuracy at range is poor, i.e the worst a BB has to offer in that tier. However, due to the fact that this girl has great concelment and hard hitting guns, it made up for it. It's torp belt is fantastic and it turns quickly (Don't know why you says it's doesn't).

Do not, repeat, do not sit at the back with this thing a snipe.  She wont hit a thing.  Shes a medium range ship that stays close to cruisers due to her concealment. and Before other cruisers knows what is going on, your in great range to delete them. Shes still a good support BB. 

However, AA isnt her thing anymore as she has been powercreep in that department by tanker ships. HE 32mm spam will strip her down quite a lot and getting closer now-a-days isn't the easiest thing to do.  Times have gone against her somewhat,  But she is still a force to be reckoned with in the hands of a good player.

I don't play her anymore where i used to play her quite a lot.  The Massa IMHO is the much better ship with better secondaries, Quick Heal and more fun factor. 

She is currently sitting in my port collecting dust which is such a shame. 

*not played it since the concealment nerf so i don't know her concealment now without looking.

• Cool 2

[LEEUW]
Players
43 posts
4,551 battles

Don't regret your purchase just yet, a powercrept ship can still do very well. The German cruisers are excellent examples of this.

• Cool 1

[S-O-M]
Players
657 posts
2 hours ago, Redcap375 said:

I used to love the Bama. I still do but the Massa had taken her over for me.

The Massa IMHO is the much better ship with better secondaries, Quick Heal and more fun factor. 

Tbh - I’ve been in 2 games alongside masses and wasn’t impressed, I bailed out one and lasted far longer than the other, yes that doesn’t say a lot but the mass didn’t seem to shine any brighter, The AA is awesome, and far better than on anything else I have.  It’s also the first time I’ve caused so much damage with one salvo, I know they’ve recently raised the monarchs citadel but 44k off a T8 BB, is not bad.

Any pointers for aiming; waterline, just below turrets ?, I'm still trying to work that one out, unlike my others BB's e.g Hood - top of hull, Amagi - waterline.

Players
462 posts
6,912 battles

Honestly I still enjoy playing her. She can be quite punishing to the unwary. I'd love to see her Permanent camo get an upgrade though. Not a huge fan of the current one. Something like this would suffice.  

4jbsfWM.jpg

UCg3KBz.jpg

• Cool 1

[S-O-M]
Players
657 posts

Still over tiered to hell, seeing more T10s than anything else, played her once tonight knocked the crap out of an Iowa, Tirp and cruisers etc, yep game lost thanks to anal team mates, I hate playing her because of the MM, facing the weak and inaccurate Kremlin is huge fun.

Because of this I wish WG did a full refund system, I buy a ship WG’s shite MM handicaps it to the hilt = zero fun, so I should be able to sell it back for full refund.

[SHAD]
Players
2,479 posts
11,118 battles

Alabama does better when

uptiered than most due to its manueverability and guns that overmatch 27mm.

Massachusetts is better though!

[S-O-M]
Players
657 posts
6 hours ago, gopher31 said:

Alabama does better when

uptiered than most due to its manueverability and guns that overmatch 27mm.

Massachusetts is better though!

Sorry I disagree, re the Massa, see above, the only Real difference between the 3 , inc North Carolina is Massa’s secondary range, and because all 3 ships are extremely easy to citadel when side on they are not brawlers, Bismarck is. I also find the shell arks a pain, reload isn’t quick and at T10’s all you face are He and Torp spammers so get to close and you get burned, stay at distance and your guns are less effective, At T8 she performs very well, because you can close in.

So once again, more WG incompetence = dire MM !!.

If MM was better and I saw more     T8  matches I’d play it more, WG fails to realise that most people would rather wait a minute or so if they were to get a same tier game than wait seconds to face T10s. 

So a good ship power crept and spending more time fighting Kremlin’s than Sinops.

Sign in to follow this