You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Inappropriate_noob

Has all the fuss died down........

88 comments in this topic

Players
3,223 posts

Regarding the Smolensk?

Don't get me wrong I am happy having got her for the coal I had, take her out in Co op a lot, but, I seem to still come back to the 'Wooster.'

Now this thread is really about the rapid fire guns,I mean come on who here does not like them,? I love em, but herein lies the problem, from the Atlanta to the Smolensk, and any rapid fire gun ship in between, where precisely do you aim?

I know it is a daft question but for the most part whilst I am awed by the sheer volume of shells in the air at any one time, the vast majority of them go either side, behind or in front of the target, and when it comes to targeting DD's, the sheer amount of aim you have to put on the guns is staggering, well to my tiny mind it is.

Here are some screenshots of me in co op in the Worcester followed by a game in the Atlanta,which out of all the dakka dakka ship in game is the one I have most problems with.

Any advice would be more than welcome

shot-19.09.20_01.06.19-0955.jpg

shot-19.09.20_01.06.30-0577.jpg

shot-19.09.20_01.06.31-0160.jpg

shot-19.09.20_01.07.17-0805.jpg

shot-19.09.20_01.13.04-0300.jpg

shot-19.09.20_01.13.09-0928.jpg

Beta Tester
1,429 posts
16,985 battles

I marked one of your pictures. If target continues to move in line you basically draw a straight line through his ship and depending on the target's speed and your shell velocity this line needs to end further away from the target or closer. Co-op is actually a good first place to practice some aiming.

In this example your shells travel slowly (Atlanta) but the range is already midrange. The DD seems to go full speed (smoke stacks indicate this) and since it is a hight tier French DD that will be anything from 40 to 50 kts.

You already use a crosshair that has some diagonal lines as a help. You can use these to draw this red line in your mind. It comes with expereince to find out how much lead you have to give. That's why it makes sense to play one ship for 40 or 50 battles in a row.

shot-19_09.20_01_13.04-0300.jpg.d00ecd78a8a7f3179d3d6588041b7371.thumb.jpg.bfeae82c59a028ad255d537f70bc812f.jpg

• Cool 3

Players
3,223 posts
50 minutes ago, Donnerturm said:

I marked one of your pictures. If target continues to move in line you basically draw a straight line through his ship and depending on the target's speed and your shell velocity this line needs to end further away from the target or closer. Co-op is actually a good first place to practice some aiming.

In this example your shells travel slowly (Atlanta) but the range is already midrange. The DD seems to go full speed (smoke stacks indicate this) and since it is a hight tier French DD that will be anything from 40 to 50 kts.

You already use a crosshair that has some diagonal lines as a help. You can use these to draw this red line in your mind. It comes with expereince to find out how much lead you have to give. That's why it makes sense to play one ship for 40 or 50 battles in a row.

shot-19_09.20_01_13.04-0300.jpg.d00ecd78a8a7f3179d3d6588041b7371.thumb.jpg.bfeae82c59a028ad255d537f70bc812f.jpg

Thank you, that is a big help:cap_like:

[-SOG-]
Players
404 posts
8,674 battles

The dakka-dakka ships are actually the most easy to aim with since you can almost ripple-fire and use your previous shells (read rainbow for Atlanta) to aim following shots. Just hold the mouse key and lead the target by compensating for all the shells you see land short/long just before. 

Regarding the Smolensk I guess it was the new shiny and as often is the case the first players to get it is the decent players and not the avarage ones. This together with the adaptation to the new META counters Smolensk quite well even if it leads to more camping teams. Cause no matter what it is still painful to be lit on fire all the time. I am looking forward to getting the Smolensk an if I like it I might pick up Flint as well, cause me and my Friesland can only agree with you, it is fun to machine-gun under the right circumstances. 

Beta Tester
1,429 posts
16,985 battles
Vor 7 Stunden, NoobySkooby sagte:

Thank you, that is a big help:cap_like:

The next step is to lead the target correctly when it is changing courses and speed. This is where the real challenge fun starts :crab:

Players
3,130 posts
10,613 battles

People just get tied of fussing when WG doesn't listen. 

It's now apart of the game so people have come to terms with it.  However, it's those things that slowly eat away at people wanting to play this game. Hence why the player pop is going down. 

• Cool 5

[AMOK]
Players
1,955 posts
8,549 battles

For me the Smol is and will be stupid, toxic and a biased shitshow of a ship. I can't help it but when i see one i wanna blap it. But i realised its tricky if you aren't in a BB.

• Cool 1

Players
3,130 posts
10,613 battles
4 minutes ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

Smolensk is not a magical ship making noobs good, just like Stalingrad isn't. 

So as soon as people have it, they stop crying OP. 

Like the Blancegrad? Humm, i wonder how that is doing a year later with more noobs in control of her.

Stalingrad U.S.S.R. 378 761 57.78 % 1.05 96 998 2 055 4.10 1.95 Colbert France 6 911 55.02 % 0.99 83 740 2 009 4.07 2.03 Smolensk U.S.S.R. 135 749 51.44 % 0.98 90 427 1 895 3.40 1.95 Worcester U.S.A. 1 516 581 50.85 % 0.80 70 216 1 698 4.10 1.47 Henri IV France 1 518 040 50.48 % 0.82 82 075 1 700 2.53 1.64

Yup, still top on...Lets see, oh, on everything.....:cap_cool:

People don't strop crying, it's just more people come to peace with what WG has given the game. Doesn't make it anymore wrong. 

ANY ship with smoke, HE, good accuracy and a bloody heal with always favour "noob" captains.  It's not hard playing a spammer HE in smoke from distance. 

The same thing was said about the Belfast and the Flint and again, look how they are doing? Same old myths. 

• Cool 3

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,483 posts
19,740 battles
16 minutes ago, Redcap375 said:

People just get tied of fussing when WG doesn't listen.

Yup, talking to a wall only makes sense if you are delusional enough to think it will listen.

• Cool 1

[FJAKA]
Players
2,975 posts
477 battles

Smolensk = 130 k dmg garantired in bad game. YOu just can not do less than 100 k dmg in this ship.....and peoles cryed about CV :) :) :) :)

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[SHAFT]
Players
9,555 posts
8,858 battles
5 minutes ago, Redcap375 said:

Like the Blancegrad? Humm, i wonder how that is doing a year later with more noobs in control of her.

378k games is not really a lot tho. Maybe those noobs realized its not what they have hoped for :Smile_hiding:

Only WG could show us, if Stalingrad is performing much better for bad players.

Players
3,130 posts
10,613 battles
2 minutes ago, veslingr said:

Smolensk = 130 k dmg garantired in bad game. YOu just can not do less than 100 k dmg in this ship.....and peoles cryed about CV :) :) :) :)

Just under at the moment 121 028 :cap_tea:

21 games later. 

[FJAKA]
Players
2,975 posts
477 battles
Just now, Redcap375 said:

Just under at the moment 121 028 :cap_tea:

yep....balance comrad....it needs radar asap :)

Beta Tester
3,286 posts
14,065 battles

Apart from farming damage, CVs have actual influence though, providing vision and finishing targets everywhere on the map.

Smolensk is just farming fire damage like a Conqueror, when played by Average Joe. 

Beta Tester
3,286 posts
14,065 battles
3 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

378k games is not really a lot tho. Maybe those noobs realized its not what they have hoped for :Smile_hiding:

Only WG could show us, if Stalingrad is performing much better for bad players.

Yep, noobs will get frustrated with Stalingrad after a few games, as they get deleted even faster than in Moskva. 

But let them wave around their spreadsheets and feel sorry for themselves. 

[FJAKA]
Players
2,975 posts
477 battles
1 minute ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

Apart from farming damage, CVs have actual influence though, providing vision and finishing targets everywhere on the map.

Smolensk is just farming fire damage like a Conqueror, when played by Average Joe. 

riigghhtttt....:)

Smolensk is braindead, 0 skill, no risk, 100 k, 5 seccnd dd killing machine

• Cool 2

Players
3,130 posts
10,613 battles
Just now, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

When that 130,000 damage consists of 2 dead DD's and a cruiser at least then yes, it's slightly more than farming damage. 

Do you know a Shimmy last 3-4 salvos? So you have a dead shimmy in about 12 secs. 

Beta Tester
3,286 posts
14,065 battles

riigghhtttt....:)

Smolensk is braindead, 0 skill, no risk, 100 k, 5 seccnd dd killing machine

Do you know what happens to an average player getting that close in Smolensk? It is not pretty. 

Beta Tester
3,286 posts
14,065 battles
2 minutes ago, Redcap375 said:

When that 130,000 damage consists of 2 dead DD's and a cruiser at least then yes, it's slightly more than farming damage. 

Do you know a Shimmy last 3-4 salvos? So you have a dead shimmy in about 12 secs. 

You also didn't read the part about Average Joe, did you? 

I can do that in Smolensk, but I have also deleted enough people who couldn't. 

Players
6,350 posts
10,576 battles
11 minutes ago, veslingr said:

Your lack of knowledge about this game is ... astonishing!

[FJAKA]
Players
2,975 posts
477 battles

Do you know what happens to an average player getting that close in Smolensk? It is not pretty. 

smoke happens :)

one (true story) Kremlin poped oun 8 km from me in Smolensk, i smoked and did 78 k dmg to him in 30 sec...he died i lived......0 skill invovled

• Cool 1

[FJAKA]
Players
2,975 posts
477 battles
2 minutes ago, ForlornSailor said:

Your lack of knowledge about this game is ... astonishing!

lol...you really are funny guy who has 60k average dmg in SMolensk.....did you afk and ship did 60 k alone? I mean,..60 k..it is like 20 sec on job to Smolensk

• Funny 1

[SHAFT]
Players
9,555 posts
8,858 battles

Yep, noobs will get frustrated with Stalingrad after a few games, as they get deleted even faster than in Moskva. 

Even if they manage to not get deleted, i expect its a bad experience for most players, as they will get focused till they are dead.

3 minutes ago, Redcap375 said:

Needs atleast someone spotting for him tho

Beta Tester
3,286 posts
14,065 battles

(true story) Kremlin poped oun 8 km from me in Smolensk, i smoked and did 78 k dmg to him in 30 sec...he died i lived......0 skill invovled

And if that Kremlin had a brain, you would have been dead after he had reached 5.8km distance to you.

Have fun trying to kill an angled Kremlin before that.