Flandre Bug Read more... ×
You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.
The_EURL_Guy

Update 0.8.8.1: Audio Hotfix

Sehales

Sound Adjustment Tips

If you want to customize the music and sounds according to your preferences, we'd like to give you some tips on how to do it better.

The main volume sliders are located on the left side of the Audio settings window: 

• General volume level - manages all sound in the game;
  • SFX volume - manages all sounds except music and voice messages. 

There are several sliders on the right side of the Audio settings window for "fine-tuning" the sound. 

• Gunfire volume - in the range from 100% to 50% adjusts the volume of your ship's shots, and in the range from 50% to 0% adjusts the volume of all shots in the game. This slider also adjusts the hit volume;
  • Engine sounds - in the range of 100% to 80% regulates the volume of "low-frequency knocking" in the engine sound. In the range of 80% to 0% adjusts the overall volume of the engines. 

In order to adjust the sound perfectly, you should start with the General volume and SFX volume, and then adjust it in detail with the other sliders.

Please note: if the volume level is reduced to a minimum, it is possible that a category of sound will be muted because very quiet sounds are not a priority for the game sound system.

We also advise you to pay attention to the parameter "Wide dynamic range". This option is enabled for all players by default. Turning it off will minimize the difference in volume between the loudest and the quietest sounds in the game.  

We recommend you disable this setting in the following cases:

• If you are using a laptop or other device with built-in speakers;
  • If you don't think the sound in the game is balanced enough, even after "fine-tuning" the volume.

When disabling this option, be sure to set the sliders on the right side of the settings menu to maximum volume.

Message added by Sehales

83 comments in this topic

[JR-IT]
Players
255 posts
14,799 battles

And how can we adjust/turn off the ingame voice-chat's auto-volume-reduction, when someone talks over it?

Players
387 posts
1 hour ago, Egoleter said:

404 error

https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/game-updates/update-0881/

worked a minute ago...

____

fyi: audio feedback on everything clickable in port - but especially the typing sounds in chat channels are annoying, imo. 

Noticed other sound related issues, but will wait for the hotfix, adjust volume according to https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/game-updates/update-0881/ and get back if not resolved. Cheers.

Edited by HentaiSquirrel
p.s.

Beta Tester
46 posts
7,348 battles

Just came to say thanks to WG for a nice clear explanation of exactly what the various audio sliders do.    Very helpful.

I'd suggest that it might be a good idea to add tooltips in-game so that new players and players who don't read these updates can still learn what they do.

Edit:   as suggested above, an extra slider for port UI elements is not a bad idea, worth considering.

Edited by Mind_Expander
  • Cool 1

[ALYEN]
Players
2,254 posts
4,129 battles

And even for an emergency patch you have changed my port AGAIN ... CAN YOU ALREADY STOP DOING THAT WG ???

• Cool 6

[S-M-V]
Players
84 posts
8,705 battles

Yamato-s guns (or any other large caliber ship) made my eardrums turn to pudding, but when I took Minotaur (or any other smaller caliber ships) I heard s$$t..

I really hope that you fixed that coz that was really iritating.......

• Cool 1

[-AP-]
Players
2,842 posts
6,892 battles

how are sound sliders supposed to literally do different things based on how high they are???? They should just adjust sound between 0-100%.... And so many special cases and weird little rules about how sound settings work, how is anything possibly fixed when this is the description for adjusting sound settings?

• Cool 6

[SHAME]
Beta Tester
51 posts
4,408 battles

This goes to show how important sound design is. I really liked it before but now it has put me off so much. I am going to shelve the game for now. Hotfix did not too much for me and I tried fiddling around with the settings. This is just bad.

• Cool 1

WG Staff
2,392 posts
4,270 battles
20 hours ago, ledgeri said:

And how can we adjust/turn off the ingame voice-chat's auto-volume-reduction, when someone talks over it?

4 hours ago, AirSupremacy said:

Airplanes still sound like lawnmowers

3 hours ago, Bagstabber said:

yea.. that hotfix completely fucked up the gun sounds.. they are muffled and very hard to hear, even with volumes all turned up

2 hours ago, PiXiE93 said:

Yamato-s guns (or any other large caliber ship) made my eardrums turn to pudding, but when I took Minotaur (or any other smaller caliber ships) I heard s$$t..

I really hope that you fixed that coz that was really iritating.......

8 minutes ago, orthi said:

This goes to show how important sound design is. I really liked it before but now it has put me off so much. I am going to shelve the game for now. Hotfix did not too much for me and I tried fiddling around with the settings. This is just bad.

Commanders, the 0.8.8.1 update, which fixes sound problems, was installed on the game servers. Unfortunately, some players are still having trouble adjusting the sound in our game.

Therefore, we decided to share with you a quick guide to setting up the sound:

1.    Set all volume sliders to the maximum level. 

2.    The main volume sliders are located on the left side of the Audio settings window. You should start adjusting the volume with them:
•    General volume level - manages all sound in the game;
•    SFX volume - manages all sounds except music and voice messages. 

3. There are several sliders on the right side of the Audio settings window for "fine-tuning" the sound:
•    Gunfire volume - in the range from 100% to 50% adjusts the volume of your ship's shots, and in the range from 50% to 0% adjusts the volume of all shots in the game. This slider also adjusts the hit volume;
•    Engine sounds - in the range of 100% to 80% regulates the volume of "low-frequency knocking" in the engine sound. In the range of 80% to 0% adjusts the overall volume of the engines. 

In order to adjust the sound perfectly, you should start with the General volume and SFX volume, and then adjust it in detail with the other sliders.

Please note: if the volume level is reduced to a minimum, it is possible that a category of sound will be muted because very quiet sounds are not a priority for the game sound system.

We also advise you to pay attention to the parameter "Wide dynamic range". This option is enabled for all players by default. Turning it off will minimize the difference in volume between the loudest and the quietest sounds in the game.  

We recommend you disable this setting in the following cases:
•    If you are using a laptop or other device with built-in speakers;
•    If you don't think the sound in the game is balanced enough, even after "fine-tuning" the volume.

We hope these simple tips will help you to perfectly adjust the sound in the game.

For further feedback and issues let's try to use this feedback topic:

[SHAME]
Beta Tester
51 posts
4,408 battles

Thnx @WG_Lumberjack but I cannot find a setting that works. Either the gun sounds are muffled or overpowering. And I feel like I miss out on important information. If I tune it to AA sounding okayish, my main guns are wet paper. Also the constant water noise... This is really irritating.

• Cool 1

WG Staff
2,392 posts
4,270 battles
9 minutes ago, orthi said:

Thnx @WG_Lumberjack but I cannot find a setting that works. Either the gun sounds are muffled or overpowering. And I feel like I miss out on important information. If I tune it to AA sounding okayish, my main guns are wet paper. Also the constant water noise... This is really irritating.

Try to MAX everything, hit apply, go back and start adjusting again. 

[ATOM]
Players
48 posts
7,259 battles

@WG_Lumberjack The Rogue wave permament camuflage dont have thier unique gun sound like they had before update or hotfix. Is this bug, or is it intentional? I think it is related to sound unification of gun caliber stuff.

Players
2,106 posts
9,568 battles
7 hours ago, victorem said:

annoying is a phone that rings in the background, if you ask me..

Completely unnecessary and very annoying.

• Cool 2

[B_S_C]
[B_S_C]
Beta Tester
61 posts
11,256 battles

Sound is still not very good from my fiddling around and almost impossible to balance properly although now at least my head doesn't hurt after a couple of battles.  I can only assume you want the game to have audio that is as irritating as possible to ruin immersion (volume disparities, unrealistic sounds etc.).

Whose idea was it to have each slider perform more than one action depending on where the slider is ?  I only ask because they need to be fired as if you want to adjust different sounds have separate sliders, it's not a difficult concept but apparently beyond you which abouts sums up all UI controls.  Instead of simple, direct controls you can never resist having a clever solution that is actually less useful.

[R0GUE]
Players
83 posts
9,628 battles
7 hours ago, victorem said:

annoying is a phone that rings in the background, if you ask me..

It has the same old ring as my iPhone - find myself looking at it every time.....

• Funny 1

[THESO]
Players
4,764 posts
1 hour ago, WG_Lumberjack said:

3. There are several sliders on the right side of the Audio settings window for "fine-tuning" the sound:
•    Gunfire volume - in the range from 100% to 50% adjusts the volume of your ship's shots, and in the range from 50% to 0% adjusts the volume of all shots in the game. This slider also adjusts the hit volume;
•    Engine sounds - in the range of 100% to 80% regulates the volume of "low-frequency knocking" in the engine sound. In the range of 80% to 0% adjusts the overall volume of the engines. 

that-don-t-make-sense-o.gif

I must be really dumb .. I don't understand this at all.

Can WG release a video on this? Apparently we need it.

• Cool 2

[EJDER]
Players
446 posts
24,864 battles

The in-game sounds are still weird. Suddenly rising and decreasing. Ambient sound and engine sounds are disturbing. Fire effect extreme. I hope there are fixes.

Players
149 posts

The gunfire sounds seem to have been successfully normalized across the different ship types so that you no longer need to adjust them when switching from a smaller gunned ship to a BB.

So far, so good.

I also appreciate that for the first time, in this news bulletin, WG addresses what the sliders actually do. Should have done that months earlier, there were lots of requests, but better late than never.

Zitat

SFX volume - manages all sounds except music and voice messages.

See, about two, three updates ago when first introducing the new sliders, any game designer worth his salt would have just put this little sentence here into a bubble help that crops up when players hover the SFX slider, thereby sparing his company and their customers lots of frustration and shitstorming.

Because otherwise what can happen is players use the gunfire, ambient or interface sliders to turn down those volumes, then turn up the SFX slider, and then wonder why the gunfire etc sounds they just turned down got louder again AS WELL. Or IF they got louder at all, or if they're just imagining things and are going slowly crazy.

Most people are not sound engineers and have never used a mixing desk with sub groups. And even those that have, need to know that that is in fact what they have in front of them. (And I still don't get why there is a need for this subgroup at all. Needless complication is Wargaming's middle name.)

Also still all that reverb on the horns, inappropriately. Imho best go completely back to the old horn sounds.

Edit: and jftr, I don't understand this thing either where the sliders suipposedly do different things depending on how far you close them.

Zitat

• Gunfire volume - in the range from 100% to 50% adjusts the volume of your ship's shots, and in the range from 50% to 0% adjusts the volume of all shots in the game. This slider also adjusts the hit volume;
  • Engine sounds - in the range of 100% to 80% regulates the volume of "low-frequency knocking" in the engine sound. In the range of 80% to 0% adjusts the overall volume of the engines. 

• Cool 3

[XTREM]
[XTREM]
Players
6 posts
9,614 battles
4 minutes ago, WG_Lumberjack said:

In case these steps do not help, and your OS is Windows 10, you can set all sound sliders to default (maximum) and consider following options, which are related to the latest Windows 10 update:

•    Disable all sound effects under the “Enhancements” tab of your speaker or headphone properties;
•    Disable any other sound virtualization options you may have;
•    Change Windows Audio format to 16-bit 44100hz, if you have it on 24-bit;
•    Uninstall KB4515384 entirely (via Windows Update > View update history).

WARNING! Perform these steps at your own risk. We found this information in open sources in the internet, as there were a lot of sound issues in various games recently on Windows 10, but we do not have a solid confirmation that the proposed solutions work in World of Warships. 

Srly, this is not a fix. Go back to the previous sounds, internal test this update and release it when it is ready. Dont make test it to us for free. Im starting to be upset

Sometime the reload sound of the gun is not there when zoom in view. The consumables and fire sounds are to high, and if I turn down sfx volumne i barely cant hear AA, airplanes, etc... This update is a mess