You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Bindolaf_Werebane

My 1 year anniversary and a (mostly) fond farewell

64 comments in this topic

Players
265 posts
5,124 battles

I've been playing the game for about a year and I mostly love it, but it has become unplayable to me and I must leave it.

I started out as a potato (as do we all), but I got better. I'm not a terrible player, but I'm not great ( my profile is always open). I found lately, that I am exactly in the middle. Not good enough to carry a game, not bad enough to lose it for my team. And then two things happened: The research bureau and the 4th anniversary snowflake event. Those two things broke the game for me. They flooded every tier with experienced players, clubbing away at potatoes - and me. I found games are unplayable now. I'm not talking about losing, losing is fine if I had a chance, but this was not that. I got stomped and stomped and stomped.

The one thing that would help, seems to be the one thing WG (and a lot of players) don't want to implement: A "ranked" matchmaking mode, like in other PvP games (think Overwatch). In my mind it would be simple enough - it would separate people in skill categories and allow them to organically get better, regardless of tier of play. But, it's not my game and there are apparently reasons for not implementing it, so I accept that. But I won't play a game that's not fun, a game that's aggravating, a game that willingly creates potato fields (with its matchmaking) to cater to more experienced players. Please resist the urge to post things like, "we've all been there", "that's the way to get better, playing against experienced players" and the such. I'm sure it's well meaning, but it's wrong (well, the latter).

So, even though I like the game, even though I'm looking forward to submarines (I'm a submarine nerd), I must go. I let a couple of days go by before posting, because - let's face it - we've all been at Ragequit Centrar, but the game is still uninstalled and my blood pressure is normal again.

To those with whom we've met on the high seas and to everyone else

o7

• Cool 15
  • Boring 5

Players
2,838 posts
4 minutes ago, Bindolaf_Werebane said:

I've been playing the game for about a year and I mostly love it, but it has become unplayable to me and I must leave it.

I started out as a potato (as do we all), but I got better. I'm not a terrible player, but I'm not great ( my profile is always open). I found lately, that I am exactly in the middle. Not good enough to carry a game, not bad enough to lose it for my team. And then two things happened: The research bureau and the 4th anniversary snowflake event. Those two things broke the game for me. They flooded every tier with experienced players, clubbing away at potatoes - and me. I found games are unplayable now. I'm not talking about losing, losing is fine if I had a chance, but this was not that. I got stomped and stomped and stomped.

The one thing that would help, seems to be the one thing WG (and a lot of players) don't want to implement: A "ranked" matchmaking mode, like in other PvP games (think Overwatch). In my mind it would be simple enough - it would separate people in skill categories and allow them to organically get better, regardless of tier of play. But, it's not my game and there are apparently reasons for not implementing it, so I accept that. But I won't play a game that's not fun, a game that's aggravating, a game that willingly creates potato fields (with its matchmaking) to cater to more experienced players. Please resist the urge to post things like, "we've all been there", "that's the way to get better, playing against experienced players" and the such. I'm sure it's well meaning, but it's wrong (well, the latter).

So, even though I like the game, even though I'm looking forward to submarines (I'm a submarine nerd), I must go. I let a couple of days go by before posting, because - let's face it - we've all been at Ragequit Centrar, but the game is still uninstalled and my blood pressure is normal again.

To those with whom we've met on the high seas and to everyone else

o7

o7 mate, hope u make a comeback :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 2

[THESO]
Players
953 posts
8,519 battles

I don't even remember how many times I uninstalled and reinstalled during the past four years. Give it a couple of days. It will pass. Bad streaks always happen.  

• Cool 6

[ADRIA]
Players
276 posts
12,299 battles

Playing with friends or finding players to play with makes playing this game, and any online game, much more bearable and fun. Try finding a community/clan and maybe your mind changes. It will also improve your skills since you can learn from that and vent yourself. 

• Cool 4

[ROT8]
Players
2,730 posts
17 minutes ago, Bindolaf_Werebane said:

They flooded every tier with experienced players, clubbing away at potatoes - and me. I found games are unplayable now. I'm not talking about losing, losing is fine if I had a chance, but this was not that. I got stomped and stomped and stomped.

Not quite true really though....your stats for the last week are virtually bang on your average stats with slightly more av damage. It's all down to perception of thinking you are getting beaten more. Mostly players are getting their wins in coop as it's a virtual win guarantee.

• Cool 2

[AMOK]
Players
1,955 posts
8,554 battles
Vor 7 Minuten, Bindolaf_Werebane sagte:

They flooded every tier with experienced players, clubbing away at potatoes - and me.

This game has become kind of unplayable, i agree. But not because "experienced players, clubbing potatoes". The flood of unexperienced players who rushed to multiple T10s in months nerver internalizing basic gameplay knowledge are the problem. Next thing is WG using the servers as testing platform with the effect players behaving like they are on PTS.

I really hope its getting better somewhere but i don't have much faith considering the developments of the last year.

• Cool 1

Players
814 posts
8,960 battles

WG should open a support line for frustrated players. I am not joking. Do they want to keep players? Listen to them when they are their most frustrated state.

• Cool 5
  • Funny 1

Beta Tester
3,293 posts
14,195 battles

If I had to play in some kind of "Ranked MM" and could not division with my mates anymore, I would leave this game immediately.

Bad streaks happen - overall, the experienced players will be on your team just as often as on the enemy team. 

• Cool 4

[AMOK]
Players
1,955 posts
8,554 battles
Gerade eben, Winged_Cat_Dormant sagte:

WG should open a support line for frustrated players. I am not joking. Do they want to keep players? Listen to them when they are their most frustrated state.

I'm afraid they give a damn about that.

[FLYD]
Players
1,378 posts
13,118 battles

34 minutes ago, Bindolaf_Werebane said:

They flooded every tier with experienced players, clubbing away at potatoes - and me. I found games are unplayable now. I'm not talking about losing, losing is fine if I had a chance, but this was not that. I got stomped and stomped and stomped.

Trust me, it's not to much fun for the Experienced players that go through that pain again..

But as the others allready said it will pass. *shrug*

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
2,089 posts
11,641 battles
38 minutes ago, Bindolaf_Werebane said:

So, even though I like the game, even though I'm looking forward to submarines (I'm a submarine nerd), I must go.

My friend, even if your bloodpressure is normal, you definitely need a much thicker skin ...

I agree with you that the regrinds send quite a lot of experienced players into tierlevels, where they slaughter the newbies like wolves the sheep at night.

I experienced a game like that a few days before, where a 65% WR unicum mercilessly slaughtered my complete team with his Hosho. Hope he was really proud of his 8 kills and the despair he caused.

On the other hand this is just something temporarily, nothing what will last forever.

I cannot count how often this game sucked for some time because of something changed. WoWs is a game you play with a long term perspective, so who cares ?

Changes in CV ? Quit playing them for a while, be sure the next change is already planned

Changes in smoke mechanics ? I get used to it

Changes in AA mechanics ? nothing to worry about because its not me alone, everybody is affected

Its a personal thing ... if you are kind of inflexible in this regard (no offense), then maybe this game might be not for you in fact.

Me personally I enjoy this game with all its changes since beta and i will have fun in future, for sure.

So nevermind, mate, whatever you do, good luck, but no pity from me. I m sorry  :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

[JRM]
Players
6,383 posts
24,310 battles

@OP Dude your problem are not unicums that are farming the snowflakes, I took a look at your stats, your average-ish yes BUT you:

1) Got carried quite a lot to get to that T9 you are now at, and following from that:

2) Judging from the PR distribution through tiers your tier level is way above your skill level

Its really a well meant observation, your stats are god at T4-5 levels, you should really consider revisiting them for like 2000 battles, then you will rock at T8-10 MM, yes you managed to pull like some 200-ish battles with an average PR in T8 and 9 combined but judging from the 600-800 you have below its a fluke, you are not ready for those ships...

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

Players
4,025 posts

I never understood posts like this.

And the ones who "uninstall" the game ... and then come back ... while they have to let the frustration out and let the community know.

For me its like this ... If I am not happy with the current state of the game .... I will play less. If I really don't like it ... I will just focus on something else.

Sure I will moan on the forums (cause moaning is sort of my hobby), but surely I will not write a "goodbye" post and uninstall. Why would I? I will just get back to the game when I feel like it .... 

Anyway  .... best of luck.

• Cool 4
  • Bad 1

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,506 posts
19,798 battles
21 minutes ago, Winged_Cat_Dormant said:

If they did, then it would be an automated message:

"Hello and welcome to WoWS support. sPrEaDsHeEt sAyS yOu ArE hAvInG fUn! Have a nice day."

• Funny 11

[FLYD]
Players
1,378 posts
13,118 battles
9 minutes ago, nambr9 said:

Sure I will moan on the forums (cause moaning is sort of my hobby), but surely I will not write a "goodbye" post and uninstall. Why would I? I will just get back to the game when I feel like it .... 

+1

If i am fed up with the game i simply ignore it and get on with it.... 

Like today when i will reactivate my anaconda in Elite :>

• Cool 2

Players
4,025 posts
4 minutes ago, The_Reichtangle said:

If i am fed up with the game i simply ignore it and get on with it.... 

I don't even have to ignore it.

There are many evenings, where I just don't feel like opening the game. I will rather watch something on Netflix or find something else to do.

Of course WG tries to make me feel playing is obligatory with all the events / missions etc ... but what they made me to is that ... I simply  just don't give a damn about all those missions at all.

• Cool 4

Beta Tester
2,089 posts
11,641 battles
Just now, nambr9 said:

I don't even have to ignore it.

There are many evenings, where I just don't feel like opening the game. I will rather watch something on Netflix or find something else to do.

I even sometimes switch back to WoT ... :Smile_hiding:

• Funny 1

Players
4,025 posts
1 minute ago, The_Pillager said:

I even sometimes switch back to WoT ... :Smile_hiding:

Luckily I never played WoT.

I have so many games on Steam ... and so little time / will to play them.

Players
3,130 posts
10,626 battles

@OP.

All the best mate.  I understand your frustration as I personally wouldn't wanna start this game again now, no way. 

However, you are a prime example of what is screwing the game up.  You are going too far up the tiers when your not ready. I'm sorry for being brutally honest, but it has to be said. 

I understand that unicum players going back down isn't helping that, but i'm afraid you need to look at yourself first. 

Tier 6 matches should have been the brakes for you. 

32 New York   New York 5 U.S.A. 34 58.82% 772 25 360 0.35 0.38 Details

Carried.  You should have realised that you were being carried into that 58% WR.  You have very low damage out-put in nearly every ship and your PR is shocking. So you really need to work on your accuracy for a start, map awareness and knowledge of the classes.

Yes your getting better (so so slightly) but not enough to keep your tiers in check. 

4 Massachusetts   Massachusetts  8 U.S.A. 1 100% 603 14 751 0 0 Details

Way out of your zone and skill level.  You can do 14,000 in one salvo in the game. Again, you was carried that match.

This isn't stat shaming, just to highlight the problem in a civilised manner. 

So...

It's not about other players around you spanking things, it's YOU not spanking (by quite a margin) them back. 

I wish all the best for you mate, i really do.  But i can tell you that other players might not miss you quite as much back. To be frank, you are not the player i want next to me in a tier 7 ranked battle.

May i ask a personal question? How old are you..

• Cool 7
  • Bad 1

Alpha Tester
18,781 posts
6,105 battles

tldr, I notice you complain about getting stomped to often, I checked your account, you're an average player.

Don't see a problem need addressing, moving on o7

• Funny 1

Beta Tester
725 posts
12,023 battles

Where is obligatory 1755 battles by OP.

You people are slacking :D

For what OP did to that poor Massachusets I personaly hope he will not get back.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 4

Beta Tester
2,089 posts
11,641 battles
9 minutes ago, nambr9 said:

Luckily I never played WoT.

I have so many games on Steam ... and so little time / will to play them.

30000 battles in tanks and I-dont-know-how-many premiums sometimes urge me to go back for a few rounds ...

• Cool 1

Players
3,130 posts
10,626 battles
16 minutes ago, mtm78 said:

You're an average player.

Is that what we are now calling an "Average player"? Wow things have changed.

In fact, you might be right. :cap_fainting:

I didn't really take his WR into account as he is a solo player (so a bit of slack given, much harder), but the rest is still shocking. 

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
18,781 posts
6,105 battles
1 minute ago, Redcap375 said:

Is that what we are now calling an "Average player"? Wow things have changed.

In fact, you might be right. :cap_fainting:

I checked his avg wr which was 47-48%, and yea I think this was the most populated range in the distribution charts :etc_hide_turtle:

Players
558 posts
3,498 battles

But doesn't this game have players vs bots mode? So you don't even have to fight real ppl? Seems to me, with all due respect, that you actually want to play against real people but only so long as they are equal or weaker than you. Fine, that might work but it just comes across that you want to do to others what others have been doing to you which has driven you to high levels of anxiety and frustration. In other words, it's all fine and dandy when you're mashing less skilled players than yourself, great fun indeed, and it is, but then when the shoe is on the other foot and you are the one getting spanked hard, you get really salty, as we all do.

Difference is with some players, they get these little ruts and runs of bad form and loss streaks, even when perhaps they're playing well. Don't forget, this is a team based game, so try not to take the burden of responsibility on yourself as though its a solo battle mode, its not. I'm only new to this game but have over 30k battles on WoT so what I generally do(btw yes, losing sucks big time, nothing fun or nice about losing) is set out different goals within a battle to not get hung up on the actual result itself i.e. do at least your own or twice your own hp worth of dmg to enemy ships, try and destroy an enemy ship, pick off some missions etc etc etc. This way, come battles end, if you have achieved decent person performances in each battle, you can put your hands up and say "well, that team obviously sucked" and not so much more what you could have done right? However, if you have done less than your own hp and didn't kill any ships, then you've actually been a burden to your team and forced others to pick up the slack you left behind. Of course, winning is the goal of the battle and is the most rewarded but there are reward in WoT called heroic defeat in which you pretty much get exactly the same rewards as you would have with winning, also if you pick up a battle hero medal of some sort of epic medal, I'd guess its the same in this game.

If after that the game still twists your nuts to the point you're breaking keyboards and throwing your toys out of the pram and turning you into a person you don't like and aren't.... then ya, flush the game down the toilet. For me, I never uninstall I just stop playing or take a break. I know that if nothing else these games are a nice time filler for winter or can also be played for some light hearted lols the odd weekend evening with a few beers if you just stop getting bummed out by the losses. Also, you speak of getting mashed by good players while on a team of potatoes which would suggest you believe this game is fixed. It's supposed to be random of course so statistically across a big enough sample size you should equally get teams of both so I'm sure you've been on just as many teams with the good players instead.