You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
MarcoGn97

Mouse that COULD automatically double-click legal?

26 comments in this topic

[ST-EU]
Players
156 posts
4,246 battles

Hi fellow commanders,

I have a pretty important question to ask, I have a Roccat Kova gaming mouse, it has some interesting built in functions but one thing that got my attention is the possibility to assign (thanks to the Roccat Swarm driver configurator) to the button close to Mouse 1 an automatic double-click function. Now, I've heard that some tools that make this kind of things are possibly illegal to use in multiplayer games, but I haven't find any good enough information about this for WoWs. 

So I'd like to know if this is possible to do (hence it's coming from the setup program of the mouse and not from a third party program) or if it's better to keep the mouse without special configurations and just with its stock commands to never risk anything.

Thanks for any clarification o7

(not very used to the forum so if this is in the wrong section I'm sorry, will find the right place next time :D)

[ST-EU]
Players
156 posts
4,246 battles
15 minuti fa, Ferry_25 ha scritto:

I've been using double click function for ages. Never seen its illegal to do so.

I've heard it could if it's a third party program doing it, I don't know how about this that's coming together with the mouse. 

[BONUS]
Beta Tester
3,043 posts
10,639 battles

What do we double click in WoWS?  Sat here trying to think of what I've double clicked....

• Funny 1

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
4,046 posts

If I understand it correctly, the software programs the mouse button. The mouse button now sends a double click signal (two clicks in quick succession) to the OS. The OS then provides that input to the game.

As a driver and device level adjustement this looks mighty fine to me.

If it were a thirdparty software automating things, like performing a doublick if you aim at the centerline of a ship ,that would be illegal (and very ineffective).

1 minute ago, Hedgehog1963 said:

What do we double click in WoWS?  Sat here trying to think of what I've double clicked....

There are two things that come to mind.

1. Fire a full salvo.

2. In the port screen: Double click a ship to get to the modules page for it.

• Cool 3

[BONUS]
Beta Tester
3,043 posts
10,639 battles
6 minutes ago, Egoleter said:

1. Fire a full salvo.

Of course.  I do it without thinking.

[AMOK]
Players
1,955 posts
8,548 battles
Vor 4 Minuten, Hedgehog1963 sagte:

Salvos!?! You only fire sequential?

@OP

I think my Razer can do that too via the Razor Software. And i can't imagine why using a third party software for this could be forbidden.

• Cool 2

[ST-EU]
Players
156 posts
4,246 battles
13 minuti fa, Egoleter ha scritto:

If I understand it correctly, the software programs the mouse button. The mouse button now sends a double click signal (two clicks in quick succession) to the OS. The OS then provides that input to the game.

As a driver and device level adjustement this looks mighty fine to me.

If it were a thirdparty software automating things, like performing a doublick if you aim at the centerline of a ship ,that would be illegal (and very ineffective).

Thanks, no it's not a third party software, it's said in the install instructions of the mouse to get it to tune the mouse as I prefer (like lights and special things as this) and it's made by Roccat herself.

16 minuti fa, Hedgehog1963 ha scritto:

Tired of spamming mouse 1 like a madman with high rof ships xD

[T-N-T]
Weekend Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
5,580 posts
12,557 battles
13 minutes ago, MarcoGn97 said:

Tired of spamming mouse 1 like a madman with high rof ships xD 

You do not need to clicking because you can keep pushed the mouse button and the guns will be shouting automatically after the reload.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
18,781 posts
6,105 battles

Any KB or mouse currently is capable of macro's even the cheap stuff I got. WG rules state that anything which automates actions otherwise done by user input is considered to be illegal afaik, but I've never heard of WG banning people for setting their single click left mouse button to a double click. It's more like, and then esp with tanks, if you set up macro's which first select your repair and then select which component you want to repair. But heck I think that's also ages ago.

Guess for an official answer you have to ask someone who actually knows how the rules are being applied atm...

• Cool 3

[KAKE]
Players
2,521 posts
5,980 battles
34 minutes ago, Egoleter said:

2. In the port screen: Double click a ship to get to the modules page for it.

Mind. Blown.

Why didn't I know about this before?

• Funny 2

Alpha Tester
18,781 posts
6,105 battles
1 minute ago, Uglesett said:

Mind. Blown.

Because WG is very good in informing people of features :Smile_hiding:

• Funny 3

[SEN]
Players
795 posts

Lol, "special mouse" or "razor software" :Smile_veryhappy:....

For almost a decade are tons of free apps. who can transform a cheap chinese multibutton mouse in that "special software" !

In fact, you can give to ANY button a different function, key, or COMBINATION of keys,  executed in a certain amount of time, and most of them are freeware !

Google "hot keys" or "mouse scripts", just for an example.

Lately I found on e-bay several types of mouses with multifunction buttons "made in china", no name brand,  with a price 5 time inferior of a "big name" mouse and with a similar performance ! ( like Logitech, Razer,

High DPI , adjustable, 6 buttons, (programmable trough free software :Smile_veryhappy:) - and, most important, contactors who can give you over 1 million clicks granted !

I bought some years ago 3 units, thinking " hey, is chinese, will fail soon, so better to have a replacement at hand" ,  ( I have some nasty experiences with "famous" names mouses who after 1 - 2 years broke, and later I realize, in fact, ALL were "made on china" products...) ;

For my surprise, the first one is still working perfect after 2 and 1&2 years . And yes, are no restriction at all about double triple quadruple clicks ! :Smile_veryhappy:

What I learn with the time, in games is important to use a mouse who: 

1 - fits comfortable in your hand ( not to big, not to small, because each one have a different perfect size....)

2 - have a good weight - to light, and will perform bad, to heavy will tire out your hand

3 - NO wireless or worst, Bluetooth since those will induce latency

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
4,046 posts
Just now, Uglesett said:

Mind. Blown.

It's one of those hidden undocumented features no one knows about and every program seems to have.

I found out by accident. It isn't even really usefull most of the time. I still was surprised when it happened and my friends were able to replicate it.

• Cool 1

[ST-EU]
Players
156 posts
4,246 battles
9 minuti fa, Sigimundus ha scritto:

You do not need to clicking because you can keep pushed the mouse button and the guns will be shouting automatically after the reload.

My issue is that this is the most convenient, but some ships (like Wooster for example) lose a bit of dpm if you do so. It's not much I know but sometimes it can make a difference. And one thing I noticed sometimes if I'm getting behind cover the prolonged fire can make the last shells hit the island while the first didn't:Smile_teethhappy:

Players
149 posts

Beden using a fairly simple old Logitech mouse that can do that, basically from the start. Didn't even think about "legal" :Smile_veryhappy:

Also I have the mouse driver assigned to send F3 when tipping the four-way wheel to either side.

I'd maybe even use more buttons (the Logitech has five plus the tipping wheel) but the problem for me is to find a mouse where I can even reach the buttons without changing my grip.

Also there are gaming keyboards that can send whole text macros via a single keystroke etc.

[ST-EU]
Players
156 posts
4,246 battles
9 minuti fa, mtm78 ha scritto:

Any KB or mouse currently is capable of macro's even the cheap stuff I got. WG rules state that anything which automates actions otherwise done by user input is considered to be illegal afaik, but I've never heard of WG banning people for setting their single click left mouse button to a double click. It's more like, and then esp with tanks, if you set up macro's which first select your repair and then select which component you want to repair. But heck I think that's also ages ago.

Guess for an official answer you have to ask someone who actually knows how the rules are being applied atm...

Time to ask maybe @MrConway or @Crysantos

• Cool 1

[ORM]
Players
135 posts
3,621 battles

it would be of negligible benefit in WoWS purely because of how little the double click is used. 

it's certainly less than for a FPS game when the ability to simulate multiple mouse clicks with a single button might enable a single fire weapon to effectively become fully automatic, of course decent developers can use the game mechanics to stop it by simply implementing a reload time between shots but i remember when i got my first mouse with a scroll wheel and discovered i could auto fire pistols etc in COD 4, i felt bad about using it at first but there were so many hacks in the game that allowed people to do that anyway that in the end i used it 

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
725 posts
11,969 battles

The rules are simple: one click of a button is to be click of a button.

I was runing macros in other games and even was banned for using them wrong, so I learned that:

So if you click a button and it will click it milion times is fine. If it click two different buttons it is illegal.

Still I do not see any reason to use double click, but everyone plays differently.

WoWs can have different approach to it, but for only double click no game would ban you.

• Cool 1

Players
628 posts
2,129 battles
6 minutes ago, Sir_Grzegorz said:

Still I do not see any reason to use double click, but everyone plays differently.

Some of these guys are unicums because they've refined play down to microsecond reaction times and moving a finger up and down again takes time! :Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 1

Players
1,420 posts
8,359 battles

I use a mouse Zalman Zm-m300 which has the double click function. I use it mostly when I play my Atlanta or any other ship which has a low recharge time. I don't think it's cheating since it doesn't gives me an advantage in battle. Just makes easier to fire all these guns at once.

In case anyone wonders (because I see people saying "I dont see any reason to use double click"). If you double click in your ship you fire all your guns at once.

Moderator, Players
1,208 posts
8,503 battles

In a competitive environment yes, it can be against the rules.

Using a macro to bhop or for particular use of grenades in csgo is not allowed in a lot of tournaments and in some cases people are banned for it in public lobbies.

Now will you get in trouble for having a double-click macro in WoWS? No, I doubt it. Though to be honest I don't see why you would, sometimes its useful to fire all turrets at once and sometimes it isn't.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Supertester, Players, Sailing Hamster
3,405 posts
4,189 battles

My previous mouse had a double click button on it, it wasn't providing any advantage whatsoever, but it did satisfy my mild OCD in that full salvoes departed as one, instead of the first turret shortly followed by the other turrets at the same time. 

Since then I have a new mouse and I'm back to simple double clicking. 

Players
4,389 posts
12,087 battles
On 9/19/2019 at 12:28 PM, MarcoGn97 said:

I've heard it could if it's a third party program doing it, I don't know how about this that's coming together with the mouse. 

IDK. I just used my mouse software to appoint 1 button as double click. I don't see how that's illegal. 

[ST-EU]
Players
156 posts
4,246 battles

Update, tried it for a few battles, I'm still spamming it like if it was normal mouse 1 (and I'll not get used to it instead of normal mouse 1), so I'll anyway go back to normal double click/franctic mouse 1 spam:cap_rambo:. I think this topic can be closed (if that's what to say when it's done:cap_hmm: