Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
ClappingLollies

Spotting

25 comments in this topic

Players
1,906 posts

What do you guys think about spotting as it is now? Should WG change it? 

I think the spotting mechanic is outdated and needs some looking at. In my opinion WG should rethink the whole deal or at least start rewarding it properly.

I don't think many DD's or CV's are interested in spotting any longer. Or it atleast seems that way. I don't blame them not spotting tho. Why should they spot? The only reward they get is better WR if doing so. But who cares about that these days? 

Spotting should not be something that the DD's accidentally does on their way to the next border humping BB. It should be some incentive to light up enemy ships for your team. Ive had so many games where the CV's and DD's are simply uninterested in spotting for their teams. It then usually brings along boring gameplay. Damage should NOT be the all mighty modifier for all classes or ships. I would happily play DD's and spot for my team if i actually got rewarded for it. 

My last Henry game, i had to get close enough to the enemy to spot them for our team and WASD like a madman trying to stay alive. The fact that i did that basically won us the game. Our ships on the south side of the map could then farm broadsides. Which got 2 cruisers and 2 BB's killed. The funny part about this was there was a Shima sitting in smoke 1km behind me.... Shooting. So i had to spot with a poorly concealed cruiser and he sat there trying to DMG farm with one of the best concealed ships in the game. I feel like this is a good example to mention because imo this is not how it shouldn't be. But it is sadly very common. That DD should want to spot the enemy. Not sit there and pew-pew with he's tiny slow firing guns.

Its not as bad at lower tiers i feel. 

Or am i completely wrong here and spotting is fine? 

• Cool 2

[BAD-A]
Players
640 posts
9,029 battles
6 minutes ago, DanSilverwing said:

You can always give compliments to a DD that spots for you.

Yes, but WeeGee should recompense them for not farming too - even WoT gave assisted damage ribbons, why can't WoWS?

Gimping DD rewards because they do their job properly is not good for the game (but do WG even care?).

• Cool 5

Players
1,906 posts
10 minutes ago, DanSilverwing said:

You can always give compliments to a DD that spots for you.

Always do. Not that that is useful for anything tho

2 minutes ago, MyopicHedgehog said:

Yes, but WeeGee should recompense them for not farming too - even WoT gave assisted damage ribbons, why can't WoWS?

Gimping DD rewards because they do their job properly is not good for the game (but do WG even care?).

Exactly. 

• Cool 1

Players
6,759 posts
245 battles

Never have been a fan of the whole cloaking device spotting thing.

Guess you could do warthunder style and so that you actually have to actively look for your enemies but bloody hell would skill gap widen like no tommorrow.

I bet smoll2razor, sairanko and love and peace would love dat lol

(i would :Smile_trollface:) But carrying crap teams would be a gods task in it self.

It would be nice if wargaming actually rewarded teamplay they litteraly have zero excuse not too to be honest and it will only bring positives anyways.

oh well.

• Cool 2

Players
238 posts
5,283 battles

They probably should award a percentage of damage received by spotting to those ships who do it, maybe add to their XP calculations but it is becoming more and more of an issue recently, and I've only been playing 7 months.  It may be it is much more noticeable as the tiers get higher as previously mentioned.

What is even worse is players, such as 2 Baltimore's and Donskoi today alone, who all sniped from the back of the map in their radar cruisers, while Shimas and Benhams ran amok.  They should penalise players who either don't radar or only use it 15km away from the nearest team mate and the cap circle. :Smile_teethhappy::Smile_teethhappy::Smile_teethhappy:

[SHAFT]
Players
9,465 posts
8,816 battles

WG doesnt care (understand?) how important spotting is

Majority of playerbase doesnt understand it either...

Sounds like a futile exercise :Smile_sad:

53 minutes ago, MortenTardo said:

That DD should want to spot the enemy. Not sit there and pew-pew with he's tiny slow firing guns.

You could promise those DD players free money, they wouldnt change their playstyle :cap_old: 99% of Shima players are just ret:etc_swear::etc_swear:

• Cool 1

Players
457 posts
1,477 battles

I like spotting, it's a fun mini game; keep the red ships spotted whilst not being detected.

Radar capable ships just add to the thrill, as does spamming HE on BBs from the limit of my Akatsuki's range then ducking out of range.

Even funnier when they ignore the DD and then either succumb to torpedoes or HE fires.......

Maybe I'm just weird but I enjoy being sneaky and tacticool......:cap_cool:

• Cool 1

Players
6,320 posts
10,537 battles
1 hour ago, MortenTardo said:

I don't think many DD's or CV's are interested in spotting any longer. Or it atleast seems that way. I don't blame them not spotting tho. Why should they spot? The only reward they get is better WR if doing so. But who cares about that these days?  

Spotting should not be something that the DD's accidentally does on their way to the next border humping BB. It should be some incentive to light up enemy ships for your team. Ive had so many games where the CV's and DD's are simply uninterested in spotting for their teams. It then usually brings along boring gameplay. Damage should NOT be the all mighty modifier for all classes or ships. I would happily play DD's and spot for my team if i actually got rewarded for it.  

Meh at this point - I dont care anymore. Its a sign of skill if you understand how important spotting is. If this community isnt capable to understand then so be it. The thing is: you talk about rewards for spotting. And sure, its low. But on the other hand: Do we (as in experianced players) really need to be more rewarded? I dont need free XP nor credits any more so I dont care about those things. Neither do I care about my avg damage or my PR. So pushing the WR is enough rewards for me. But this is ofc down to personal opinion.

WG forgot to push people in the right direction a long time ago. Its just sad to see those torpedo DDs sitting in their own smoke, firing their puny guns or even worse: sitting still doing nothing, because they and their team lost vision after smoking up... but there is a group of players, that dont even understand, why they lost vision in that situation. This is not going to change, no matter how much you reward players for spotting - sad but true... 

• Cool 2

Players
1,906 posts
12 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

WG doesnt care (understand?) how important spotting is

Majority of playerbase doesnt understand it either...

Sounds like a futile exercise :Smile_sad:

You could promise those DD players free money, they wouldnt change their playstyle :cap_old: 99% of Shima players are just ret:etc_swear::etc_swear:

I think you are right with the understand part. When i asked in a stream a long time ago, they answered that spotting is rewarded already and its fine. Clearly they are delusional. 

And yeah. When i think about it. It was kinda a bad example using that Shima guy. But i made my point :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 2

Players
1,906 posts
2 minutes ago, ForlornSailor said:

Meh at this point - I dont care anymore. Its a sign of skill if you understand how important spotting is. If this community isnt capable to understand then so be it.

I get that. Im a bit the same way as of late. Don't really care much for the game anymore. But play it a bit here and there. 

3 minutes ago, ForlornSailor said:

The thing is: you talk about rewards for spotting. And sure, its low. But on the other hand: Do we (as in experianced players) really need to be more rewarded? 

My thought was to try to balance it for the mentioned classes. So they get more for spotting, less for dmg farming. So the xp and credit outcome would be the same. That is what makes sense to me from a gameplay standpoint. 

5 minutes ago, ForlornSailor said:

I dont need free XP nor credits any more so I dont care about those things. Neither do I care about my avg damage or my PR. So pushing the WR is enough rewards for me. But this is ofc down to personal opinion... 

That is how it goes when you reach a point. All you do is trying to win. Do the best for the team. That comes with experience tho. Which is why the less experienced players need a push in the right direction. 

Players
6,320 posts
10,537 battles
9 minutes ago, MortenTardo said:

My thought was to try to balance it for the mentioned classes. So they get more for spotting, less for dmg farming. So the xp and credit outcome would be the same. That is what makes sense to me from a gameplay standpoint. 

Im all for that. And ofc it would make sense.

19 minutes ago, MortenTardo said:

That is how it goes when you reach a point. All you do is trying to win. Do the best for the team. That comes with experience tho. Which is why the less experienced players need a push in the right direction. 

Yea true. Sad part is: with the current reward system, the best a new player can do, is go for damage with any class...

• Cool 3

Players
1,619 posts
18,174 battles

All I ask for is cruiser and BB players that can be bothered to shoot enemy DDs when I'm making the effort to spot them, rather than focusing on shooting BBs 12km or more behind said DD.

Still the rewards for spotting could do with a little enhancement.

• Cool 3

[SM0KE]
Players
5,419 posts
13,323 battles

My feeling is that WOWS should adopt some variation on the WOT 'assisted damage' system - as remarked by others, if you need rewards (xp and silver mainly for missions etc.), damage is always the way to go and that is counter to what your team need you to be doing if you're a DD.

• Cool 1

Players
399 posts
3,834 battles

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it only recently that WG added a Spotting XP & damage caused by spotting function in the game ?

I thoroughly enjoy spotting as a DD player, especially if I can lay a long smoke screen across my team's route of advance, and then sit out to one side, undetected and spotting for them.

Beta Tester
725 posts
11,958 battles
11 hours ago, MortenTardo said:

they answered that spotting is rewarded already and its fine. Clearly they are delusional. 

Damage done upon your spotting is rewarded, tanking is not rewarded, that was my understanding of WG patch notes, when counter was introduced.

But it should be rewarded much more. In WoT it is 50% of damage goes to spotter, here should be same.

[THESO]
Players
953 posts
8,482 battles

I don't exactly understand spotting damage. When I spot an enemy and my team shoots at it, I get spotting damage counter up. But when the reds fire back, whole team spots them because of the gun penalties and I no longer get spoting damage. So is it only for the first Salvo? 

• Cool 1

[BLITZ]
Players
2,818 posts
10,917 battles
12 hours ago, Karasu_Hidesuke said:

I'm a little puzzled how DD's can spot the enemy faster than cruisers or BB's.... seeing how their masts are considerably lower... :Smile_sceptic:

They can't. But the have a shorter viewing range, because of their smaller masts.

[CU]
Players
237 posts
20,431 battles
3 hours ago, Kenjiro_ said:

I don't exactly understand spotting damage. When I spot an enemy and my team shoots at it, I get spotting damage counter up. But when the reds fire back, whole team spots them because of the gun penalties and I no longer get spoting damage. So is it only for the first Salvo? 

It counts for as long as you are the only one spotting the enemy. As soon as they start firing the rest of your team will likely see them without your help.

Players
1,906 posts
4 hours ago, Sir_Grzegorz said:

Damage done upon your spotting is rewarded, tanking is not rewarded, that was my understanding of WG patch notes, when counter was introduced.

But it should be rewarded much more. In WoT it is 50% of damage goes to spotter, here should be same.

It is a modifier for both potential and spotting. But WeeGee for some reason keep those modifiers very low. Try playing a game where you dont do any dmg and only spot. That way you can see how crap spotting is at the moment. Same goes for tanking. 

[THESO]
Players
953 posts
8,482 battles
2 minutes ago, Muppeteer said:

It counts for as long as you are the only one spotting the enemy.

Which means until they fire back (and they always do :)) So spotting damage is pretty much a useless stat to pursue in order to be rewarded for it...  I realize the value of spotting itself but spotting damage counter is nothing to care for...

Sign in to follow this